Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

This. I figure the grand a year I'm saving could pay for something cheap and fun.

I'm idling my way through Atlanta stop-go traffice going less than 5-10 MPH and still pulling 34 MPG :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MPG chat, looks like I've been tracking for over 25k miles on the TDI - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2000/nitrospazzz/240898

As long as the fucker continues to run I'm going to keep driving it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

. no one in AI is going to be a oval office.

I mean, not normally...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
There are no cunts in AI just cunty posts.

Here is one now: I don't give a whoop about mpg because I am hip and have complicated shoes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

There are no cunts in AI just cunty posts.

I dunno man, we've had a few.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Me and FatCow beat up on a Miata today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBoW8XuUWY

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OE tires?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

OE tires?

OE tires, OE pads. Held up pretty well; the pads finally faded on the next-to-last run of the weekend after some pretty clear laps.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Brave soul. Weather was clear all weekend?

It was lovely here on Saturday and mildly brisk yesterday.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Brave soul. Weather was clear all weekend?

It was lovely here on Saturday and mildly brisk yesterday.

Sprinkled morning of Saturday, enough to get the track fairly wet. We had two wrecks - a full-race E36 that lost the front driver's side on the first hot lap of the weekend on 1-2 , and a semi-prepped old square-headlight Integra that lost his front bumper and passenger fender on 4-5 - and one near-miss off on 10. Sunday (which was when the video was taken) was nice; clear and cool all day long. Track was a little crowded for my tastes (I think someone mentioned 35 cars on track at once and 4 run groups), but still a good time.

I won't be making that run again, though. At least, not without taking Friday and/or Monday off. Worked more than a full day Friday, got home, waited on my girlfriend to pack and finish up doing her poo poo, etc. etc. Didn't really get moving until around 8:30. Stopped at 12:15 at a motel somewhere in VA about an hour and a half from the track, woke up at 5:00 to for S, S, & S and got to the track with about 15 minutes to spare for the driver's meeting. Missed the last session of the weekend to get an early start back, but thanks to traffic, weather, and a dinner stop we didn't arrive back here until about 9:30pm.

On the upside, it was my first session with NASA and I got solo'd and recommended for movement up to DE2; which I can pursue next year.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 9, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

Oh good I'm not the only one who's stayed awake for 4 days from that combo.

And on day 5 the ten strip of LSD you forgot you ate because of mental fatigue kicks in :unsmigghh:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PaintVagrant posted:

Drove a buddies new (to him) AP1 s2000 the other day. Was surprised at how quiet the engine was at idle and low revs, very smooth and quiet compared to K-series engines. My FA5 is very clackity by comparison. I didn't get to cane it too badly, but I I snapped a couple of high rev shifts off and realized that its the best gearbox Ive ever used, and I want an s2000 now.

Do it, you will not regret it ever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are few things more annoying than guys who think a car is extra rare because of the options installed.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

There are few things more annoying than guys who think a car is extra rare because of the options installed.

What, like a mazda 6 with a snazzy 6spd and turbo/awd?

:v:

Edit: parent teach conference today for the eldest's preschool. confirmation, he's awesome. :3:

edit part deux: vvvvv loving congrats man! enjoy! vvvvvv

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Guys I got married on Saturday and so far it's totally rad. Cannot wait to get to Mexico and do nothing for a week tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ssjonizuka posted:

What, like a mazda 6 with a snazzy 6spd and turbo/awd?

:v:

Yes actually! The MS6 facebook groups are so bad. "Why are our cars so cheap they're RARE" But mostly this dude with a 2012 Challenger and keeps posting about how it's "1 of 3 with these options and color!"

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

Yes actually! The MS6 facebook groups are so bad. "Why are our cars so cheap they're RARE" But mostly this dude with a 2012 Challenger and keeps posting about how it's "1 of 3 with these options and color!"

To be fair, this is pretty much why I can't handle any other groups/forums anymore. too much elitist/special snowflake bullshit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Nodoze posted:

Do it, you will not regret it ever

I beg to differ :downs:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just ate a 100g bag of pork scratchings. I regret nothing.

I'm gasping for a cup of tea though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ssjonizuka posted:

To be fair, this is pretty much why I can't handle any other groups/forums anymore. too much elitist/special snowflake bullshit.

As bad as the FB group is it's nowhere near the level of bad that the MS forums are.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Jeep/4x4 groups are by far the worst/most entertaining of anything. Our local Off Road Trading Post is seriously one long amazing stream of the craziest bullshit. Kastein admins the thing and eggs people on so bad. The internet tough guy threats of violence towards him are glorious.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wrar posted:

Guys I got married on Saturday and so far it's totally rad. Cannot wait to get to Mexico and do nothing for a week tomorrow.

Congrats Wrar and newly Mrs Wrar

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mafoose posted:

Also, anyone ever done PCB design?

:wave:

I do PCB design drat near every day. Been doing it for ~15 years as a hobby and about 4 years professionally.

Here's a 97-01 XJ auto transmission controller I did recently, actually:

Disregard the purple, the bargain basement PCB fab house I use for prototypes does everything in purple:

It's a 4 layer board, I probably could have avoided 4 layers by spreading the design out more, but I didn't have the enclosure I was designing for (it bolts directly into the stock TCU enclosure once you cut a second hole for the user interface port) on hand when I designed the board, so I just packed it as tightly as I could. If I end up producing them in quantity I'll probably do a serious redesign and spread things out so I can bring it down to two or maybe three layers to reduce PCB fab costs.

I have been debating moonlighting/contracting (for a year or two, a couple friends have tried to get me to do stuff for them, and I wanted to...) but right now I'm just too drat busy with the house. Maybe when winter sets in for real.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Mazda 3 is no longer numbers matching because I installed an autodimming mirror and CD changer

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought Mustang forums were the worst. At least that's what the Mustang thread's OP says.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

I beg to differ :downs:

I think you regret using chinesium bearings more than anything

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

:wave:

I do PCB design drat near every day. Been doing it for ~15 years as a hobby and about 4 years professionally.

Here's a 97-01 XJ auto transmission controller I did recently, actually:

Disregard the purple, the bargain basement PCB fab house I use for prototypes does everything in purple:

It's a 4 layer board, I probably could have avoided 4 layers by spreading the design out more, but I didn't have the enclosure I was designing for (it bolts directly into the stock TCU enclosure once you cut a second hole for the user interface port) on hand when I designed the board, so I just packed it as tightly as I could. If I end up producing them in quantity I'll probably do a serious redesign and spread things out so I can bring it down to two or maybe three layers to reduce PCB fab costs.

I have been debating moonlighting/contracting (for a year or two, a couple friends have tried to get me to do stuff for them, and I wanted to...) but right now I'm just too drat busy with the house. Maybe when winter sets in for real.

How much for you to do a ECU shield for a Teensy?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have no idea, I don't Arduino - yet. I've always just rolled my own board for everything.

I also haven't got the time at the moment sadly. Bug me about when there should be snow on the ground, by then I should have cabin fever and the backlog of other stuff I've already said I might be up for done, and can start thinking about new stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Man, between the DB fundraiser and all the red texts being handed out, I'd say Richard should be able to virtualize the forums no problemo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I have no idea, I don't Arduino - yet. I've always just rolled my own board for everything.

I also haven't got the time at the moment sadly. Bug me about when there should be snow on the ground, by then I should have cabin fever and the backlog of other stuff I've already said I might be up for done, and can start thinking about new stuff.

Cool, If I sent you a schematic, could you throw together a design? When you have time, of course.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

Man, between the DB fundraiser and all the red texts being handed out, I'd say Richard should be able to virtualize the forums no problemo
The big question is why it wasn't done years ago. I'm sure the answer is :10bux:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

The big question is why it wasn't done years ago. I'm sure the answer is :10bux:

Seriously, like in my experience, most companies won't do something that they don't absolutely have to do until the very last minute, which is why I was shocked that the company I was interning with was showing me how to virtualize servers and maintain their virtualized servers while the forums are probably hosted on an old dell in Richards basement

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

Seriously, like in my experience, most companies won't do something that they don't absolutely have to do until the very last minute, which is why I was shocked that the company I was interning with was showing me how to virtualize servers and maintain their virtualized servers while the forums are probably hosted on an old dell in Richards basement

Agree, I suspect he's doing it now because it seems like the physical hardware underneath the various servers is finally starting to kick the bucket.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is Richard an edgy/cool way to refer to Lowtax?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

idk it's easier than fixing the autocorrect

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kimbo305 posted:

not as edgy as dick kanka

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Enourmo posted:

not as edgy as dick kanka

Dick Kanka Sore.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sigma X posted: