Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My God, 4-komas. It truly is an anime.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

E.

Bad Seafood posted:

BattleCattle making good headway on keeping up the tradition of all threads BattleCattle participates in having the most posts by BattleCattle.

I'm chatty.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 8, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, now I'm wondering - what's better (OK, less bad) - RWBY or Mahouka?

I mean, obviously, Mahouka had infinitely superior production values, but consider what they were in service of.

I don't think rwby has incest or any really terrible things beyond bad writing and animation. So Mahouka is probably worse.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RWBY IS poo poo FROM AN rear end

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

season 2 started fine

somewhere in the bowels of my bowels a ray of hope sprouted

i was betrayed

e. we're never doing this again

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If only they had made a season of food fights

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
BattleCattle going through the 5 stages of grief was the best part.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That was bad.

The entire show relies on a framework that it never bothers to build. We're meant to be afraid for characters when they face down monsters but the monsters are mowed down by the dozen, and enemies that are meant to be mysterious but lose every time. Big changes happen to relationships based on five minutes of build up or nothing at all. The tone changes from episode to episode. Characters clearly want to be sympathetic do nothing to earn that sympathy. Mysteries are boring. The finale of season two is a huge world-shaking event that an episode later is used as a showcase for four more super-special combat students in a series that already has at least fourteen of them.

It's real bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The food fight was cool and then they fought a robot at some point which was neat and then I stopped watching because committing 15 minutes a week to watching rwby was a lot harder than committing 7 minutes of a week to watch rwby. And i'm fairly certain I made the correct choice.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

oobleck came and ruined everything

i trusted you oobleck

everybody betray me. i fed up widdis whorl.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
BC, baby, shh, it can't hurt you now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's still the two episodes of season 3 left.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I remember a local anime convention having a RWBY panel with Rooster Teeth staff and stuff. Perhaps next year I will attend that panel and be slightly terrified from sitting among a crowd of RWBY fans. Not for any sort of irony, but because RWBY and everything about it interests me in a horrible way.

Something tells me the Q&A session would comprise entirely of shipping.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's still the two episodes of season 3 left.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Level Slide posted:

I remember a local anime convention having a RWBY panel with Rooster Teeth staff and stuff. Perhaps next year I will attend that panel and be slightly terrified from sitting among a crowd of RWBY fans. Not for any sort of irony, but because RWBY and everything about it interests me in a horrible way.

Something tells me the Q&A session would comprise entirely of shipping.

RWBY is pretty interesting, mostly in the ways of how it manages to be popular while having some of the worst storytelling i've ever seen. You're probably right about the Q&A though.

If it makes you feel any better I think they were better than what I saw of season 2. Not that that means much.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I had some time to think.

First, I take back what I said about the whole "Jaune is a creepy self insert story hijacker" thing. He was annoying and creepy, but ultimately it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.

second, I can see why it's popular. It's bad, but you can tell that, at least at first, they're invested in the story they're trying to tell. When they're actually trying, it's bad in a charming way. In the first half, that comes across pretty well. The action was neat, the camera work was fairly well thought out, and on the whole, the out of combat animation was marginally better than in season 1. It was by no means good, but it showed enough growth that I felt comfortable getting a little invested in it.

Then... I don't know... Episode 8 or 9, I'm not sure exactly where, but every part of the production seemed to just give up. They didn't give a gently caress. It's most evident with the camera in the last two episodes: The dynamic camerawork that's as much monty's trademark as his choreography is just gone by the end. The textures take a hit, too, reverting to season 1 quality. If you bother to get invested in it, at all, the change in quality just hits you like a truck.

The plot takes a massive dump on your face at the end, too. See, Attack On Titan was released in the states around the same time Season 2 started coming out, before the last episodes were written, and you can definitely see how it affected the one impressionable writer. He was inspired to rip off the first episode, but that required a huge tonal shift that he wasn't prepared to execute, and everything the show had going for it just evaporated all at once. Then it just went loving insane. Sad insane. The fight scenes stopped being interesting, Nora showed up for a second, but not long enough to redeem anything, Oobleck hit a dog with a flaming wifflebat, characters we've never seen or heard of before show up and make mincemeat out of everything, and the deviantart bunny showed up and contributed absolutely nothing.

My brain turned off by the end. I don't really remember the rest. I'm sure it was a self defense mechanism going off.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If it makes you feel any better I think they were better than what I saw of season 2. Not that that means much.

So, when you say that the beginning of season 3 is better, you can understand where I'm coming from when I say "That just makes it worse". They're going to drop the ball again. It's guaranteed to happen.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 9, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

BC, don't put more effort into writing about a show than the show writers did.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

...The gently caress is X-ray and Vav?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BattleCattle posted:

...The gently caress is X-ray and Vav?

RT commentators, Ray Narverez Jr. and Gavin Free, were doing a guide for Halo 3's terminals. Gavin called Ray "X-Ray" as a joke and it lead to a discussion on Superhero names. Gavin decided his would be Vav. Pretending to be the team X-Ray and Vav became a running joke for years on the channel.

X-Ray and Vav became popular with the fans and the two commentators would often dress as the superheroes at conventions. Many fans followed suit.

Two years ago, the RT animation team decided to make a flash series under the premise of the running joke, like those SNL character movies of the 80s and 90s. It often uses the Achievement Hunter's running jokes to make characters like the Mad King Ryan, Mogar, and the Corpirate.

Never watched it. Probably bad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

RT commentators, Ray Narverez Jr. and Gavin Free, were doing a guide for Halo 3's terminals. Gavin called Ray "X-Ray" as a joke and it lead to a discussion on Superhero names. Gavin decided his would be Vav. Pretending to be the team X-Ray and Vav became a running joke for years on the channel.

X-Ray and Vav became popular with the fans and the two commentators would often dress as the superheroes at conventions. Many fans followed suit.

Two years ago, the RT animation team decided to make a flash series under the premise of the running joke, like those SNL character movies of the 80s and 90s. It often uses the Achievement Hunter's running jokes to make characters like the Mad King Ryan, Mogar, and the Corpirate.

I read this

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Covok posted:

It's definitely better that RWBY. X-Ray and Vav is just a superhero comedy with a loyer of Achievement Hunter in-jokes on top. It's a lot like Gundam Build Fighters in that you'l get a good chunk of the jokes without prior Gundam knowledge, but there are a few jokes that are based on being familiar with stuff from other parts of the franchise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam Build Fighters was good despite its callbacks to other Gundam shows, because the fight scenes were loving awesome.

I'm not surprised that Japan likes RWBY. Their target demographic for this show has standards even lower than we do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I had some time to think.

First, I take back what I said about the whole "Jaune is a creepy self insert story hijacker" thing. He was annoying and creepy, but ultimately it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe.

second, I can see why it's popular. It's bad, but you can tell that, at least at first, they're invested in the story they're trying to tell. When they're actually trying, it's bad in a charming way. In the first half, that comes across pretty well. The action was neat, the camera work was fairly well thought out, and on the whole, the out of combat animation was marginally better than in season 1. It was by no means good, but it showed enough growth that I felt comfortable getting a little invested in it.

Then... I don't know... Episode 8 or 9, I'm not sure exactly where, but every part of the production seemed to just give up. They didn't give a gently caress. It's most evident with the camera in the last two episodes: The dynamic camerawork that's as much monty's trademark as his choreography is just gone by the end. The textures take a hit, too, reverting to season 1 quality. If you bother to get invested in it, at all, the change in quality just hits you like a truck.

The plot takes a massive dump on your face at the end, too. See, Attack On Titan was released in the states around the same time Season 2 started coming out, before the last episodes were written, and you can definitely see how it affected the one impressionable writer. He was inspired to rip off the first episode, but that required a huge tonal shift that he wasn't prepared to execute, and everything the show had going for it just evaporated all at once. Then it just went loving insane. Sad insane. The fight scenes stopped being interesting, Nora showed up for a second, but not long enough to redeem anything, Oobleck hit a dog with a flaming wifflebat, characters we've never seen or heard of before show up and make mincemeat out of everything, and the deviantart bunny showed up and contributed absolutely nothing.

My brain turned off by the end. I don't really remember the rest. I'm sure it was a self defense mechanism going off.

So, when you say that the beginning of season 3 is better, you can understand where I'm coming from when I say "That just makes it worse". They're going to drop the ball again. It's guaranteed to happen.

No it was bad

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IMO RWBY, much like anime in general, is good, and if that statement makes people mad that anime fans aren't critical enough of their chosen popular medium or haven't signed a disclaimer prepared by a team of lawyers stating that anime is bad and they're bad for liking it and japan is bad for making it, even better

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 9, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

.jpg posted:

Just out of curiosity what is the "popular in japan" claim based on? Has it shifted a lot of merch?

Tickets to see it in theaters sold out in less than 24 hours and it's being advertised extremely heavy. Also: Japanese twitter. A bunch of anime "critics" have praised it for "getting" anime or w/e that means.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Namtab posted:

No it was bad

That's what I said. It sucks the calcium off my showerhead and I should never have given it the benefit of the doubt.

icantfindaname posted:

IMO RWBY, much like anime in general, is good, and if that statement makes people mad that anime fans aren't critical enough of their chosen popular medium or haven't signed a disclaimer prepared by a team of lawyers stating that anime is bad and they're bad for liking it and japan is bad for making it, even better

Still, it has fans, and I won't judge them.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 9, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I do not like RWBY, however I will respect the opinions of those who do.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

RWBY IS poo poo FROM AN rear end

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

but for real yeah it's bad

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone want to talk about the game they have up for stream greenlight?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ignoring all the stuff about the humor or fight scenes or whether it "gets" anime, I think the biggest issue with RWBY is that it just feels like an amateur production. It seems like something that would be really impressive if it were a project for a university class, but simply doesn't compare with what professional animators/writers/other important roles do.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Level Slide posted:

I do not like RWBY, however I will respect the opinions of those who do.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly a lot of the RWBY fanart is much funnier than the actual show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Venom Snake posted:

Tickets to see it in theaters sold out in less than 24 hours and it's being advertised extremely heavy. Also: Japanese twitter. A bunch of anime "critics" have praised it for "getting" anime or w/e that means.

Well it is pretty anime. It's like they just took every popular anime and stuck it in a blender then poured it over their favorite anime girls. It's not that surprising that this is popular in Japan considering both Naruto and Bleach are popular as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bleach isn't very popular anymore.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RWBY is like if the Fullbringer arc from Bleach was an entire series.

e: Which is to say that it's not very good.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 10, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Well it is pretty anime. It's like they just took every popular anime and stuck it in a blender then poured it over their favorite anime girls. It's not that surprising that this is popular in Japan considering both Naruto and Bleach are popular as well.

Bleach hasn't been popular for a long, long time. That series is dragging itself on and on without the good sense to just end.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JordanKai posted:

RWBY is like if the Fullbringer arc from Bleach was an entire series.

e: Which is to say that it's not very good.

Fullbringer arc was good because it was when I realized "I'll just drop this bull crap"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh god that was like 3 years ago and it's still going,.

• Locked thread