Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
RWBY is a show created by Rooster Teeth's animation department. It was originally convinced of by Monty Oum who is now :rip: . The show is essentially a magical girl anime/love letter to anime in general with a lot of buttrock that sounds like it came straight out of MGR.

You can watch it on Netflix, Youtube, or Crunchyroll

http://www.crunchyroll.com/rwby

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUBVPK8x-XMhCW2fW7ZYlD9MHjvmT8IGK

Sponsors of RT get episodes on Saturday, non-sponsors get it 24-48 hours later. Typically they are leaked within hours anyway so it's nbd.

If you want to drown yourself in bad shipping fics:

https://www.fanfiction.net/anime/RWBY/

http://archiveofourown.org/tags/RWBY/works

The show has gotten huge in Japan apparently with tickets to see it in theaters totally selling out.

random fan art

Soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OljTu4I4ejI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtGlVTiSag4

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Ya know I went in to this with really low expectations, and I came out thinking it wasn't quite as bad as most people say. I enjoyed it enough to watch everything that's out, and I'll probably watch the next season too if it ever comes.

The humor was hit or miss, but I really liked some of the jokes. Also I wasn't put off by the animation because I was a fan of Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy series way back in the day.

Soundtrack's cool too, it fit really well imo.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admoon posted:

Ya know I went in to this with really low expectations, and I came out thinking it wasn't quite as bad as most people say. I enjoyed it enough to watch everything that's out, and I'll probably watch the next season too if it ever comes.

The humor was hit or miss, but I really liked some of the jokes. Also I wasn't put off by the animation because I was a fan of Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy series way back in the day.

Soundtrack's cool too, it fit really well imo.

Volume 3 just came out, Volume 1 is currently releasing in Japan. I'm looking forward to watching the jap dub because it's apparently really good (they got some high profile va's for it).

And yeah it's just a low expectations fun show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I watched the start of the new season. The tournament arc actually seems to be giving the show the focus it desperately needs, and it kept goofy all throughout which is good because it's the only thing the writer's do consistently well. It was actually a pretty decent first episode, animation is still terrible when not fighting though, but maybe a bit better than it used to be.

Also, the new opening is loving hilarious in how grimdark it is. Holy poo poo. :allears:

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

Volume 3 just came out, Volume 1 is currently releasing in Japan. I'm looking forward to watching the jap dub because it's apparently really good (they got some high profile va's for it).

And yeah it's just a low expectations fun show.

well look at that. cool i have some more stuff to watch.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is not anime

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I watched the start of the new season. The tournament arc actually seems to be giving the show the focus it desperately needs, and it kept goofy all throughout which is good because it's the only thing the writer's do consistently well. It was actually a pretty decent first episode, animation is still terrible when not fighting though, but maybe a bit better than it used to be.

Also, the new opening is loving hilarious in how grimdark it is. Holy poo poo. :allears:

I found the opposite. The facial animation is a LOT better but the fights have been slowed down, although they compensate for that with better camera work. I believe they have said Volume 4 will be done using a different animation engine (they couldn't convert volume 3 because Monty had so much already done in poser for volume 3).

And yeah Blakes VA said this season will be a lot darker than previous ones.

Namtab posted:

This is not anime

but japan says its anime!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i remember in rwby where there was this girl and a plate of cookies and she scarfed them

quite possibly the funniest anime i've ever seen 10/10 would watch again

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

but japan says its anime!

Disgusting

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

This is not anime

But the Japanese dub will feature many of your favourite anime voice actors.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is cool and good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I watched some of this and the humor basically reminded me of what was popular when I was in high school (2000-2004, though I think it was more due to my age than the time period) and an awkward teenager with nerdy hobbies. Certainly not actually funny at all, but at least it made me feel nostalgic. The fight scenes seemed pretty decent, but I ended up dropping it early into the second season just because I wasn't interested in what was happening and didn't like any of the main characters (all four are walking stereotypes).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They should watch it subbed

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ugh, dubs

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namtab posted:

That's how it got such a huge following before release actually. The volumes got subs really really fast.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm glad that monty guy died because i hate this

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Relin posted:

tbh it's a shame it didn't follow him to the grave

rwby has no redeeming qualities

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

literally every tweet after the first screening so far in Japan has been positive but then again well, japan.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It'd be really cool if the red and white ones kissed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

literally every tweet after the first screening so far in Japan has been positive but then again well, japan.

Well, considering it's popular in the West as well I wouldn't say it's just Japan.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Something about this bugs me much more than it should to be honest.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

There was that one amv hell thing. Otherwise, I have no opinion on this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Monty Oum was someone who used a years old animation software and refused to adapt or change in any way to the point of physical ripping keys out of his keyboard for "work-flow" issues and forcing everyone else to have to learn his weird and obtuse as gently caress workarounds for animating stuff that would be far, far easier to do in a new version of Poseur/literally any other animation software.

Guy clearly had some issues, was a creative mind, RWBY is weird tumblr bait, why does it still exist?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I don't like the animation style.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hahahah lmbo

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I watched the first episode and it had some funny moments but the fighting was unconvincing. However, I am glad it exists and promotes cross-cultural interest, between the great nations of Japan and the United States of America.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

take it to tviv

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Davincie posted:

take it to tviv

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Blake is a terrible name for a catgirl

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The sub is alright but 'dust', while conveniently close, doesn't capture the nuances of RWBY's 'dasuto'. Should have left it as is, with a footnote.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Monty died living the weeb dream, having his "original characters" become big in japan.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Peel posted:

I watched the first episode and it had some funny moments but the fighting was unconvincing. However, I am glad it exists and promotes cross-cultural interest, between the great nations of Japan and the United States of America.
I've not nothing against RWBY, it's a cargo-cult version of your average shounen series with some cute and fun stuff in it. But if you watch Monty Oum's body of work it was clear he liked that one style of hyper-kinetic fighting where everything hits a thousand times a second but getting hit means nothing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

This is not anime

Beecha Oleg was a better, more lovable character than anyone in RWBY.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

Something about this bugs me much more than it should to be honest.

Is it because it's Red Blue Purple Yellow?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Blank Construct posted:

Is it because it's Red Blue Purple Yellow?

:eyepop:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pierson posted:

I've not nothing against RWBY, it's a cargo-cult version of your average shounen series with some cute and fun stuff in it. But if you watch Monty Oum's body of work it was clear he liked that one style of hyper-kinetic fighting where everything hits a thousand times a second but getting hit means nothing.

I'm aware of his earlier work and actually like that style, but I didn't think the fights in the first episode were great even as an example of it. Maybe it was just too technically crude to pull off what it was trying to do, or maybe being part of a 'real' production raised the subconsciously expected standard.

I only watched the first episode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Relin posted:

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

• Locked thread