Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

republicant posted:

Do you guys think it's possible for a dozen celestial pearl danios to die, get eaten by ghost shrimp/ramshorns/a giant mystery snail, and there be no trace of it whatsoever? Would that leave little fish skeletons or anything? There are supposed to be 14 CPDs in my tank but I only ever see 2. There's been a huge stupid chunk of wood that most of the fish have been hiding behind forever so I haven't been able to see what's been going on in the tank, I finally moved it today but the CPDs are just... Not there. I mean maybe they're all clustered together behind the air filter or something but it doesn't seem like it. It's incredibly frustrating for $50 worth of fish to just somehow vanish.

Going by how little was left of the panda cory on sunday after something less than 24 hours of attention from snails, I would say you would not see anything left from a tiny fish like a CPD, if it died and ramshorns were in the equation. Could they be hiding in a plant? I hope they didn't all die, and surely you'd see a nitrogen spike (or at least, your purigen would go brown faster) in that tank if there were that many deaths. But if it was one by one over a longer time, maybe not? Any chance they jumped out? Are you definitely sure that you're seeing the same 2 CPD over and over, not just the only 2 that don't fit in the secret hiding place? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Okay that makes me feel a bit better. They are definitely not just hiding in the corners - the light was just literally an on/off switch for them zooming everywhere (I cannot believe how fast these little guys are). They don't have any competition for food in the tank - just a couple small flake eaters I used to seed the tank with. I got some sinking food and it took them awhile to find it, but they eventually did and then it was gone - the roomba analogy seems perfect.
The tank they came out of at the store was absolutely stuffed with danios and guppies and now they are relatively all alone in this tank. Combined with the lack of caves / alcoves / driftwood / low horizontal plant cover and they are probably just adjusting.

I'll try and add a few better alcoves / nooks and I can pick up some anubias for the ground level of the aquarium. Hopefully I didn't make too big of a mistake since the tank is planted with some higher light level things, but worst case I will just have to replant.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think 2 of my corys are showing signs of ich. Even if no other fish are, should I assume they have it and treat the tank?

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I would. Even if only two of them have it now, it'll spread. I'm dealing with the same thing in my tank right now where all of my rummy-nose tetras have ick but none of the others have visible signs. Unfortunately I can't get my heater to heat my tank past 84 degrees right now due to the cold, and my apartment has lovely heat, too, so I'll probably need to throw a second heater in there just to bump it up that extra two degrees.

I was really disappointed I had to return some angelicus botia loaches the other day because they kept punching huge holes in my amazon sword. Not even to eat it but just for the hell of it, I guess. I had the same problem but to a lesser extent when I had more of them awhile back and never figured out what caused it until now. Sucks because they're awesome fish, but they were gonna destroy that plant if I didn't return them :( they didn't want anything to do with the other botia loach I have, either. I got him with a previous group of angelicus botia, but his pattern doesn't look like any of them or any other botia loaches I've seen. Is anyone good at IDing these guys? Or is it possible he might be a hybrid? I can post a photo later if anyone wants to take a look.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not Your Senorita posted:

Yeah, I would. Even if only two of them have it now, it'll spread. I'm dealing with the same thing in my tank right now where all of my rummy-nose tetras have ick but none of the others have visible signs. Unfortunately I can't get my heater to heat my tank past 84 degrees right now due to the cold, and my apartment has lovely heat, too, so I'll probably need to throw a second heater in there just to bump it up that extra two degrees.

Is it just most correct to bump up the temperature and get a LFS treatment in a bottle?

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

ShaneB posted:

Is it just most correct to bump up the temperature and get a LFS treatment in a bottle?

You won't even need other treatment, most likely. If you do get something you'll definitely want to make sure it's safe to use in your tank since a lot of them aren't. All I've ever done to get rid of it is raise the temperature for a couple weeks and do more water changes with a gravel vac during that time to help remove the parasites, and that always seems to work just fine for me!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not Your Senorita posted:

You won't even need other treatment, most likely. If you do get something you'll definitely want to make sure it's safe to use in your tank since a lot of them aren't. All I've ever done to get rid of it is raise the temperature for a couple weeks and do more water changes with a gravel vac during that time to help remove the parasites, and that always seems to work just fine for me!

I'm in a tough spot lately because I'm trying to grow a dwarf hairgrass carpet. So it's barely established in plugs right now, and when I gravel vac over the area it just does a real number on the grass... I've started using some nutrients and liquid carbon to improve my plant growth but it's still not deeply rooted or anything.

I'll probably have to do a chemical that people say is safe for plants and fish. Luckily I don't have any non-fish to worry about.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I raised my temps up to 86 for 10 days and added about a tbsp of salt per gallon along with daily 25% water changes and the ich has been gone for over a week now with my temps back down to 78. Do that. Every bit of research I have done looking for safe ich medication was fruitless. All of them harm plants, some stain poo poo, and they like to linger in the tank despite water changes. Do you have inverts? Yeah forget about medicating.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

Going by how little was left of the panda cory on sunday after something less than 24 hours of attention from snails, I would say you would not see anything left from a tiny fish like a CPD, if it died and ramshorns were in the equation. Could they be hiding in a plant? I hope they didn't all die, and surely you'd see a nitrogen spike (or at least, your purigen would go brown faster) in that tank if there were that many deaths. But if it was one by one over a longer time, maybe not? Any chance they jumped out? Are you definitely sure that you're seeing the same 2 CPD over and over, not just the only 2 that don't fit in the secret hiding place? :tinfoil:

Yeah it looks like all but two are gone. I've waved a net around the tank and there's plenty of the other fish but only two CPDs. They're in with pygmy cories and rasboras, I wouldn't think any of those would kill a CPD and I don't think they jumped out. Died and eaten by snails is my guess but god this sucks. If that stupid piece of driftwood hadn't been in there then I might have noticed when the first one died, or the second, or third, or fourth or fifth or sixth or seventh or eighth or ninth or maybe some point before twelve of them somehow managed to die unnoticed. I guess the moral of the story is that having decorations that block visibility of a large part of the tank is an EXTREMELY stupid idea.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

I raised my temps up to 86 for 10 days and added about a tbsp of salt per gallon along with daily 25% water changes and the ich has been gone for over a week now with my temps back down to 78. Do that. Every bit of research I have done looking for safe ich medication was fruitless. All of them harm plants, some stain poo poo, and they like to linger in the tank despite water changes. Do you have inverts? Yeah forget about medicating.

Ugh... I did my weekly water change yesterday and I'm just about done with buckets. I can't pour them in cleanly lately for whatever reason and I'm just getting water all over the place. I think I basically have to get a 50' thing that can connect to my bathroom sink at this point.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Just get a Python, or Aqueon or whatever water changer. It makes life so much better.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Feel free to view high-res.

Is that ich? I'm only seeing it on two of the corys, right at the back of their heads, more or less, who have been in the tank maybe 2 weeks now. No other fish seems to have any dots.

I should note I'm not seeing flashing or coming up to the surface for air from these guys, either.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 9, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It doesn't really look like ich to me, but I am at a loss to say what it might be instead. Ich generally looks like salt stuck to the fish versus spots 'painted' on the fish if that makes sense.

Edit: Hell, I dunno, the more I look at it the more I think maybe, just small spores.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 10, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doesn't look like ich to me either, but hard to say what it is. Could be they scraped up on something?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I do remember reading somewhere that cories get a characteristic scar on top of their heads during shipping and that can be used to tell the difference between imported cories and locally bred ones, but there were no pictures so I couldn't tell you if this is that. I always thought you see ich on fins first before it spreads elsewhere, is this a mistaken belief?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

I do remember reading somewhere that cories get a characteristic scar on top of their heads during shipping and that can be used to tell the difference between imported cories and locally bred ones, but there were no pictures so I couldn't tell you if this is that. I always thought you see ich on fins first before it spreads elsewhere, is this a mistaken belief?

I've always noticed it on the pectoral fins first.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah, I'm going to just watch the other fish like hawks for any sign of ich before I go off the deep end and start treating.

It's also super cute that the other cories seem to have no issue with the fancy pink dude.

Here are my latest and last fish to be added to this 55 gallon:

The 2nd koi angel isn't shown, but is equally cool. I found an interesting fish store slash air plant slash terrarium store where the owner breeds angels himself. Very cool. He also had some lovely koi swordtails - I wish I had got all of my swords there!

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 10, 2015

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I don't know why I'm engaging with these fish groups again man. Ask for help with your betta that's showing signs of ammonia or nitrite poisoning, keep insisting that your tank is cycled but ignore everyone who asks what your water parameters are or if you've even tested them. I don't think she knows what "cycled" means.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

republicant posted:

I don't know why I'm engaging with these fish groups again man. Ask for help with your betta that's showing signs of ammonia or nitrite poisoning, keep insisting that your tank is cycled but ignore everyone who asks what your water parameters are or if you've even tested them. I don't think she knows what "cycled" means.

Link? I'm sure I'll regret clicking it but I'm morbidly curious.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Rallos posted:

Link? I'm sure I'll regret clicking it but I'm morbidly curious.

It's a closed facebook group so here are screenshots

I like how she's just blatantly ignoring me lol. Good luck watching your fish die I guess? I'm sure it will be really fun when she gets "a catfish," ie one single miserable cory. But if you criticize these people you are tank shaming them and need to take a hike!!!!11!!!!!1!!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
"Tank shaming" wouldn't happen if they'd just do the right thing :bang:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Wonder if someone sold her an end of life betta, I know they don't have very long life spans. And that would be shortened more if she's letting the water have rapid temperature changes or not ageing or dechlorinating (or cycling) it properly. Poor little guy.

I let my guppies breed at first so that I would have some fish where I knew their definite age, not realizing that it isn't trivial to identify and separate the genders before the guppy explosion occurs. I'm not looking forward to so many fish dying of old age all at around the same time, when their time comes. Even so, every day seems like a major victory if I'm not pulling a dead/sick cory out of my tank, so there is a definite appeal to tough little short lived guppies.

I'm starting to see three pattern types on my guppies, spots, bars and some snake-skin/leopard spot patterns. The original male with the fancy pattern had an irregular fanned double sword tail with a lot of black on it and this mostly hasn't been passed on to his sons (good, I like non-fancy guppies that can swim without difficulty).

I'm very tempted to clean out my craft room that I rarely use and make it into a fish tank room! My guppies deserve more space than they have at the moment.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Does anybody else keep their tank(s) in their bedroom? All of mine are, 7 fishtanks and a terrarium, probably 9 air pumps, 16 air-powered filters, 9 power filters, and a Cascade 1500 giant canister filter... and I can't stand vibration or any other annoying noises. Thank god I somehow managed to get really quiet air pumps and filters. There is a constant sound of gentle water splashing in the room and I think if anything it helps me sleep.

There was a girl on Facebook asking how to breed pond snails... People told her the obvious and she was still really insistent about asking what kind of substrate she needed, water parameters, tank size, what kind of food they needed to be fed, etc. It was ridiculous, she was asking more questions about the care of pond snails than most of those people ask about their fish! At least she will have very well-cared for pond snails I guess.

I've been just ignoring the pest snails because I hate killing things, but after seeing pictures of disaster tanks filled with snails I'm taking a more aggressive approach and evicting every one I see. I got several giant Malaysian trumpets too, who have probably been in my tanks since the beginning. I almost wish I could keep them but they're spawning all the tiny babies I keep finding burrowed in my sand.

I was feeling bummed out about the loss of my dozen CPDs so I did some shopping therapy and got a good deal on some things. My turtle has enough food to last several years, as he grows from baby to juvenile to adult. Some of the food may end up passing its expiration date, but I will keep it sealed and stored in a cool dry place, not opening until it's needed, and see if he's still willing to eat it when the time comes. It's so processed that I don't think it could actually become harmful with age (as long as it's sealed and doesn't grow mold), just maybe get stale and not appealing to the turtle. I replaced a UVB bulb that got broken and got a UVB bulb and a heat bulb to replace two plant light bulbs that weren't really suited for a turtle tank. And I'll have Purigen in every filter AND I get to try New Life Spectrum since so many people recommend it. I'm not sure about actually buying more CPDs until I see how the last two remaining do. They are schooling with my lambchop rasboras, strawberry rasboras and emerald danios so hopefully it won't be a problem that there's not a full school left.

Is NLS Thera +A for weak and sickly fish or stressed fish or something? The package recommends it for newly acquired fish. It's hard to really tell what the difference is from the regular community formula. I will probably use it as regular fish food.

republicant fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 11, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

republicant posted:

Does anybody else keep their tank(s) in their bedroom?
< You see this name?
(used to, and it became A Thing on skype)

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008

republicant posted:

Is NLS Thera +A for weak and sickly fish or stressed fish or something? The package recommends it for newly acquired fish. It's hard to really tell what the difference is from the regular community formula. I will probably use it as regular fish food.

It contains more garlic than their basic community formula, which is supposedly anti-parasitic and extra tasty. My fish love every type of NLS I've ever tried.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

republicant posted:

Does anybody else keep their tank(s) in their bedroom? All of mine are, 7 fishtanks and a terrarium, probably 9 air pumps

Please tell me what air pumps you use. I got a supposedly quiet pump and it was unusable.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Please tell me what air pumps you use. I got a supposedly quiet pump and it was unusable.

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Air-MA600-Pump-600/dp/B001EUJEWU

I swear by these things. They're dual outlet and actually put out enough air to power multiple things; I have four air-powered filters running off one of these pumps with a good amount of air coming out of each one. And they don't make the godawful heinously loud rattling motor noise I've heard some pumps make.

republicant fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 12, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I got a couple of super cheap nasty made in china no-name brand air pumps that run quieter than the Aqua One brand mini air pump I bought, so I took the cover off it to see if I could work out what was going wrong. The mechanism for this particular pump involves the AC current from the wall going through a transformer or coil of some kind and creating an electromagnet. As the current cycles, this magnetically pulls and pushes on a swing arm, which vibrates an attached rubber diaphragm back and forth, the end result being lots of little puffs of air which add up to the flow you get out the end of your air tube. The loud one had a couple of plastic clips holding the transformer in place, but one of them had snapped, the transformer was no longer in its correct position, which meant that the swing arm was repeatedly hitting the transformer and making a horrible loud vibrating noise. Gluing the clip back in place proved to be impossible so I tried wedging the transformer in position with some adhesive velcro but it still shifts and gets loud from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_lmBsx2RXE
(can you tell i have homework i should be doing, i made a video of a broken air pump instead of getting some homework done)

My quietest pump is a big two outlet one running many filters, and I find that having some kind of flow restriction on the air line (either a valve or tying a knot in the air line works too in a pinch) makes it run quieter. If there is no resistance this style of air pump seems to just blast out as loud as it can. For a deep tank sometimes the resistance from pushing air that far under water is enough, but depending on your airstone you might get on better turning the air flow down a bit.

I have a different type of pump which runs quieter, and instead of a vibrating electromagnet (very reliable simple operation) they have a little electric motor which spins an offset crank, the attached diaphragm has a series of flaps which are tilted by the offset, and because there are more flaps you get more puffs of air per cycle and a smoother flow of air. The downside to this mechanism is that the little motor can burn out (and that is what happened, I got a replacement from ebay for quite cheap but messed up and got the voltage wrong so that pump is still out of order). I suspect these pumps are not intended to be run continuously or against much resistance. This one has 3 flappers on its diaphragm!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCFGyeL9orU

The magnet style of pump might be a bit louder but they are super reliable electrically speaking, there is no real way an electromagnet can wear out since there are no moving parts, unless the vibration rubs through the insulation on the coils I guess. The rubber diaphragms do wear out but look to be pretty easy to replace, too.

I made a DIY air pump filter for my snail tank using a half of a 600ml pepsi bottle with a spare cylindrical sponge filter wedged up the wide end, and what was supposed to be an inlet pre-filter (but it was too small) sponge wedged on top of it for the narrower part of the bottle. Airstone and airline rammed down the neck hole and a little bit of random foam plugging the centre hole in the bottom. It seems to work fairly well, the top of the bottle just breaks the surface of the water in the snail tank and there is quite a good amount of flow coming out. I was going to take a photo of this too but it's not that exciting. My only regret is not coming up with a way to weight the bottom down more, it floats around a bit. I think its pretty snail proof though, my previous DIY snail filter seemed to trap snails too easily, I had plastic mesh to hold the sponges in and the ramshorns kept getting themselves jammed in it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lost my first fish last night. One of my newer koi angels. He never really seemed like he had energy, so I don't really know what happened. I'm kinda bummed. :(

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

That sucks :( RIP koi Angel. Sounds like new fish syndrome, most likely you didn't do anything wrong and your other fish might be fine. Unless you buy from a breeder who has raised the fish from scratch, you just can't know what stresses or diseases or nutrition the fish have had before they get to the store or into your tank. I've heard 6 weeks as a guideline for new fish to settle in, if they haven't died of new fish syndrome by then, they probably won't.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Really feeling grateful for the extremely inexpensive 300 watt heater in my turtle's tank right now. His air temperature dipped down to 69° but he was happily asleep in 79° water. I used to try to heat his 55 gallon with a hodgepodge of multiple 50-100 watt heaters and that would be a disaster right now. Thank god for Aquatop.

It's starting to get bitterly cold even here in the southern US and I'm starting to obsessively check thermometers and heaters. This time last year I didn't own a single fish and now I have seven tanks to look after! My biggest fear is waking up to an unplugged heater, 60 degree water, and very ill/dead fish.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Conversely it's going to hit 38deg C (100deg F) here next week, I've already started turning off heaters and running the cooler in that room to stop the house from warming up and baking my fish. My walls and ceiling are fully insulated but the end wall gets full afternoon sun, and if I let the room get warm it stays warm. I didn't have cories last summer and my tanks were hitting 28 (82) which is definitely too hot for panda cories. I'm hoping I can keep them cool enough. At least the guppies I have should do okay, they're from the Northern Territory originally so I'm expecting them to handle the heat just fine.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

Conversely it's going to hit 38deg C (100deg F) here next week, I've already started turning off heaters and running the cooler in that room to stop the house from warming up and baking my fish. My walls and ceiling are fully insulated but the end wall gets full afternoon sun, and if I let the room get warm it stays warm. I didn't have cories last summer and my tanks were hitting 28 (82) which is definitely too hot for panda cories. I'm hoping I can keep them cool enough. At least the guppies I have should do okay, they're from the Northern Territory originally so I'm expecting them to handle the heat just fine.

It sucks that someone hasn't yet figured out a way to make little mini coolers you could put in a tank, just like a reverse heater. Or have an all-in-one climate control system for your aquarium that could heat or cool the water depending on the ambient temperature. I know there are chillers but they seem to be expensive as hell and mainly for crazy saltwater reef things.

The Google Photos app on my phone makes animations and collages from my photos automatically, and now it pulled from the photos and videos I've taken to make this cute little video of some of my tanks:

https://youtu.be/0HcOtsJdmzE

Makes me happy man. I really enjoy taking photos of my animals, it's like a hobby within a hobby. Here's one of my favorites that I've taken:

Do you guys see any problem with setting up a heater on one of those timers that have pins you push up/pull down, and setting the pins so the heater is turned on and off at various times? It would basically be the same as unplugging it, and I don't know if getting unplugged several times a day would be bad for a heater. I've got a tank that can't be left unheated at night but having a heater running 24/7 pushes the temperature too high. Right now I've got it timed to be on at night and off during the day but I was thinking about doing intervals. Our frog tank has two heaters on a day/night timer and it works great, the more powerful heater is on during the day and the less powerful is on at night. May need to switch it up for the winter but it's designed to simulate the frog naturally being hotter during the day. I just love putting things on timers, honestly.

republicant fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 14, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

Have any fans you can put over the tank? A little evaporative cooling can go a long way.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

For a heater with no thermostat, having it turn off and on at intervals is just doing what the thermostat would normally do so I think that would work no problems. Timers are great!

Shakenbaker posted:

Have any fans you can put over the tank? A little evaporative cooling can go a long way.

I tried getting a couple of mini usb fans intended to clip on to the side of a laptop to pull more air out, and putting them on the vents on the sides of the hood of my tank to get more air movement but they are a bit too small to be effective. Propping the hood open a bit and using a pedestal fan in the general direction of the tank seems to help more, thats how I was keeping it at 28 last year. Even better if I can remember to keep the room cool, normally when its a heatwave we shut all the doors and let most of the house heat up apart from the one room that we're in but I'm not going to risk that in the room the fish are in this year.

I found another lost guppy tonight. This time it was a newborn sized guppy fry, in the bottom layer of a DIY tub filter, having gotten through 2 layers of sponge and 1 layer of polyfibre. He was swimming around in the ceramic media layer, ducking through the holes in the centre of the noodles and apparently having a great time. I managed to get the filter apart and all the media out to free him without hurting him and was extra careful putting it back together with NO GAPS for future use in the guppy fry tub. It's a badly improvised filter since the trickle filter I'd improvised (which was pretty good and very fish safe) proved to be too interesting for my cats and they knocked it in on top of the guppies; luckily it mostly floated and no harm was done.

I've got a plan in mind to get the guppy situation under a little more control and hopefully no more guppies will be able to get stuck in dumb places. I found some 20lt plastic tubs with fairly optically clear plastic sides, and bought a bunch to use to start seperating out the guppies. With the shelves I've got in the back room I think I could set it up so that these smaller tubs are on the top layer, and have one of the big tubs at the bottom for a sump/filtration layer. Since the tubs are flexible plastic it will be easy to get bulkheads in for an overflow, and with the overflow inlet covered by sponges guppies should not fall in. I'd then have my main filtration in that lower tub and pump the treated water back up to the individual tubs. I'm considering air powered sponge filters in each tub too, the double sponge kind that suction on to the wall because I figure you can never have too much filtration. When reading about this kind of plastic tub guppy setup, I came across a guy who was using 9lt tubs with only a couple of fish per tub. No sump, air driven sponge filter only, but each tank had a clump of plants. When he changed which dechlorinator he used, the different formula made his pH crash and he lost a bunch of his fish. I definitely wanted to go way bigger than 9lt per tub, and having a bunch of little individual tanks just sounds like a really risky idea to me. I'm hoping 20lt will be roomier and I really want to try plumbing up a communal sump, maybe with a big pump doing the return via a manifold to each tub, just to keep the total volume of water nice and high and hopefully a lot more stable.

I had an idea to use a fluidized sand filter since they have a good biological filtration capacity, and I've got a heap of carbonate rich play-sand, so if that works as a sand filter media it would help keep the water nicely buffered for the guppies. I'm running a test build in my snail tank at the moment, the snails should similarly enjoy the extra minerals if I can get it to work - of course, on my first try I overfilled the sand and 1/4 of it jetted out all over the place. But the playsand seems fine enough to fluidize really well so it might be doable with the right shaped container. I'm using an inverted 600ml pepsi bottle since it has a really nice taper at the bottom, unfortunately the snail water is really cloudy from the overflow otherwise I'd take a video because its really cool seeing the sand circulating in its bottle.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 14, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I start reading you talking of tubs and bulkheads and I got to remembering some interesting tank filtration designs I've seen. I can't find it on google right now though. Basically, the idea was that the top tank would receive the fresh water from the return pump. The next tank down would get the overflow from the top tank using a bulk head. The tank below that would overflow the opposite side from the tank above (creating a flow from one side to the other obviously) and be used for display again or as a sump filtration setup. Then you would have it all pump back to the top tank to start the circulation again. Be it a pump from the sump or an external canister filter.

While searching, I did see this though which sounds like the direction you are going to eventually anyway :)
http://swordtailguppies.blogspot.com/2013/08/breeding-rack-systems-automation-for.html

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Just going to drop this off here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYvMm_EtVcE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay oh god that's super crowded. Oh gently caress just look at those stuck fish, what the gently caress is that a turtle no holy poo poo its a huge rear end frog oh god theres a knifefish in there oh god oh god

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SynthOrange posted:

Okay oh god that's super crowded. Oh gently caress just look at those stuck fish, what the gently caress is that a turtle no holy poo poo its a huge rear end frog oh god theres a knifefish in there oh god oh god

Back of the tank at 15 seconds, I think really *might* be a turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Slugworth posted:

Back of the tank at 15 seconds, I think really *might* be a turtle.
I'm not seeing it, but there's definitely a crayfish.

SynthOrange posted:

That water is yellower than Everyone's First Hydroid Gimmick