Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

With SC4 I could build an industrial hellscape in one tile and the pollution never bled into the suburban paradises nextdoor in another tile.

Pollution has a range of about 40 meters in this game. It's a total ridiculous non issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Pollution has a range of about 40 meters in this game. It's a total ridiculous non issue.
It's an issue if you steadfastly refuse to leave any gaps between your zoned areas.

By God I will build residential areas right next to my factories and how dare this so-called "pollution" try to cause problems with that!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought office's sole function was to fill the buffer space between industrial and commercial

I'm only half joking

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

It's an issue if you steadfastly refuse to leave any gaps between your zoned areas.

By God I will build residential areas right next to my factories and how dare this so-called "pollution" try to cause problems with that!

Chirpy Exterminator. Then there's no more problems!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Kilonum posted:

realcitygovernment.txt

This but replace 'pretty up' with 'build vast, dystopian swathes of suburban sprawl'.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sometimes I try to make little communities separate from the megalopolis, but then I just get so offended at the empty spaces that I decide I must start filling everything in.

Why yes that is a lake of poo in the middle of a residential district. What are you gonna do about it, hippy?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah its a strange one. I wish instead of turning the ground purple, it had a wider affect on the city that needed to be accounted for.

There are several things like this in the game, aspects of it that don't seem to have any impact on gameplay. Crime is trivially easy to control. Sewage and water need only the most basic of management. Powerlines are just necessary enough to be occasionally annoying.

Maybe its an effort to avoid complicating the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing these other aspects fleshed out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Count Roland posted:

Yeah its a strange one. I wish instead of turning the ground purple, it had a wider affect on the city that needed to be accounted for.

There are several things like this in the game, aspects of it that don't seem to have any impact on gameplay. Crime is trivially easy to control. Sewage and water need only the most basic of management. Powerlines are just necessary enough to be occasionally annoying.

Maybe its an effort to avoid complicating the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing these other aspects fleshed out.

Yeah I'd love to see air pollution an actual city-wide thing blown around by winds. Also the game wants everything perfect otherwise people complain and abanon. There's no middle ground. Either the location is pollution and that will give you a big warning icon or it's not. The area is noisy and people need to be rushed to the hospital, or they're fine. The like no gradients. Things are either perfect, it's a disaster you need to solve right now.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I think the noise pollution level of certain things is way out of whack. Like passenger train stations and water towers in particular.

How are you guys getting those hedgerow/well-defined lines of trees? The smallest brush for tree brush doesn't seem to work at all for me, and the next smallest one is way too wide. Or are you just using normal tree plopping? I also admire those with the patience to plop the farm tile things, because, at least with solodyne's, they're such a pain in the rear end.

Speaking of what baronjutter just mentioned in regards to noise pollution, and the in-game icon saying the people need medical attention: I've never heard of or encountered someone needing medical attention due to noise pollution. What the hell is with that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Longbaugh01 posted:

I think the noise pollution level of certain things is way out of whack. Like passenger train stations and water towers in particular.

How are you guys getting those hedgerow/well-defined lines of trees? The smallest brush for tree brush doesn't seem to work at all for me, and the next smallest one is way too wide. Or are you just using normal tree plopping? I also admire those with the patience to plop the farm tile things, because, at least with solodyne's, they're such a pain in the rear end.

Speaking of what baronjutter just mentioned in regards to noise pollution, and the in-game icon saying the people need medical attention: I've never heard of or encountered someone needing medical attention due to noise pollution. What the hell is with that?

The stress of hearing the deafening sound of modern elevated light rail station over a block away is so bad they have to be rushed to the hospital after snapping.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Seriously, are some water towers loud or something? I've been near water towers and don't remember hearing fuckall from them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Seriously, are some water towers loud or something? I've been near water towers and don't remember hearing fuckall from them.

Maybe they believe that all water pipes work like in some 1950s East German concrete building, where the trickle of the neighbour 5 floors away brushing his teeth gets amplified to sound like an industrial synth band's interpretation of the Niagara Falls.

So obviously, a building that consists entirely of water pipes must be the loudest thing ever.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
If anything, I imagine a water tower to have the soothing sound of a gently gurgling water cooler.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Ofaloaf posted:

Sometimes I try to make little communities separate from the megalopolis, but then I just get so offended at the empty spaces that I decide I must start filling everything in.

I had to take a second look I first thought these were some google maps screenshots, drat.

Does noise pollution even do anything? I just completely ignore it. I always liked to set up some small low density commercial zones in my residental zones because you do have the occasional street with shops etc. in them and I never noticed it having any adverse effect. Sadly as I read that the cims seem to visit shops completely randomly and might travel over half the map to visit that small neighborhood shop, it doesn't seem to serve much purpose. I wonder if you could mod that and at least make them prefer shorter parts, even if they wouldn't always pick them.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Police Automaton posted:

I had to take a second look I first thought these were some google maps screenshots, drat.

Does noise pollution even do anything? I just completely ignore it. I always liked to set up some small low density commercial zones in my residental zones because you do have the occasional street with shops etc. in them and I never noticed it having any adverse effect. Sadly as I read that the cims seem to visit shops completely randomly and might travel over half the map to visit that small neighborhood shop, it doesn't seem to serve much purpose. I wonder if you could mod that and at least make them prefer shorter parts, even if they wouldn't always pick them.

It can make people sick, but I've only ever had this happen when I had constant traffic jams in the middle of a residential district.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Police Automaton posted:

It seems to play a fairly significant role in (residential) happiness and land value, and thus building levels. On the other hand, it's fairly trivial to make residential areas almost completely silent, aside from maybe the occasional metro station, so it ends up not mattering all that much regardless.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I've been trying to determine at what point people are unable to play on 3x, 2x, and 1x but information is sparse.

With an i3 2100T (2.5GHz) with 8 gigs of RAM on Windows 7:

3x limit 60k
2x limit 80k
1x limit 90-100k (Game becomes unplayable)

I'm upgrading to an i7 3770S (3.1-3.9GHz) and want to quantify the difference in performance somehow.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Curved roads are more of a curse than a blessing; most people don't know how to make aesthetically pleasing road geometries and it's highly triggering.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I'd love to see air pollution an actual city-wide thing blown around by winds. Also the game wants everything perfect otherwise people complain and abanon. There's no middle ground. Either the location is pollution and that will give you a big warning icon or it's not. The area is noisy and people need to be rushed to the hospital, or they're fine. The like no gradients. Things are either perfect, it's a disaster you need to solve right now.

This is all true, but let's remember, this is a new game that's so different from the kinds of games the SimCity series were that it's practically a brand new genre. This is just the beginning, as the original SimCity was. Ten years from now C:S3 will already be well on its way to overcomplexity.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Subyng posted:

Curved roads are more of a curse than a blessing; most people don't know how to make aesthetically pleasing road geometries and it's highly triggering.

Is this triggering? If so, trigger warning.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Fasdar posted:

Real cities don't really look like that, but these are pretty nice.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fasdar posted:

The last one is super cool.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Friction posted:

Real cities don't really look like that, but these are pretty nice.

If this high tech simulation is anything to go by, they should.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fasdar posted:

Did you just use the golden ratio when designing city streets, you magnificent bastard?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Such beautiful city streets abutting a hosed-up freeway :negative:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Design that prioritizes looking good from 10,000 feet usually ends up kinda bad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arglebargle III posted:

Design that prioritizes looking good from 10,000 feet usually ends up kinda bad.
That's a matter of perspective.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arglebargle III posted:

It's also how a lot of planners legit planned back in the day. Only cared what things look like on a map or from a plane. Would literally survey the sites and view progress only by plane or helicopter and never walk around. Made some real fantastic places to live and be an actual human like Brasilia.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I wasn't sure if this was going to work, but it does! The new industrial area on the left loads ships at the harbor, and unloads them at the cargo hub on the right. Awesome! Now I don't need to figure out how to pull a good looking rail line there.

Friction fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 9, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm playing that map now too. I ended up with a mostly underground railway because the rail bridges looked like crap next to the giant highway bridges around the harbors.

I'll try to get pics later today.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

Also the game wants everything perfect otherwise people complain and abanon.

That's the upwardly-mobile professional class :eng101:

Basically, buildings can only upgrade, not downgrade. So, when a household settles into an area and upgrades a building from level 3 to level 4, they expect a level 4 quality of life. When conditions in your city change so as to lower their property values (pollution, traffic, corpses, or whatever), they move to a place that deserves their economic glory.

What the game doesn't simulate, but I kind of wish they did, is slumlords moving in to turn all those abandoned houses into lovely rental properties that hold 2 or 3 times as many households at like level 1 quality... forever. Like fuckin 80% of the city I live in.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Now that I've got a computer that can run this game, I'm having a lot of fun with it. But I think I'm having more fun making things for it than making things in it:

That is last night's test to see if I could get an illumination map working for night lights. As you can see, it worked just fine and was super easy to do. Now I just need to finish and release it!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
drat.

Wikipedia about Brasilia posted:

You get miles of jerry-built platonic nowhere infested with Volkswagens. --Robert Hughes

e: excuse me but your city skyline with one hideous overbearing tower is very triggering to me as I am from London

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

deadly_pudding posted:

What the game doesn't simulate, but I kind of wish they did, is slumlords moving in to turn all those abandoned houses into lovely rental properties that hold 2 or 3 times as many households at like level 1 quality... forever. Like fuckin 80% of the city I live in.

SimCity 4 simulated that and did it quite well. Most players modded the mechanic out of the game.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

ExtraNoise posted:

Now that I've got a computer that can run this game, I'm having a lot of fun with it. But I think I'm having more fun making things for it than making things in it:

That is last night's test to see if I could get an illumination map working for night lights. As you can see, it worked just fine and was super easy to do. Now I just need to finish and release it!

Noice! No lights in windows though? Is this something you came up with, or based on some existing building?

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Koesj posted:

Such beautiful city streets abutting a hosed-up freeway :negative:

Yeah... the railways are pretty hosed too, if nevertheless all functional.

Fun thing about the golden ratio cities: if you cut through the wandering spirals and hexes with park paths, the AI's shortest path finder will almost never choose to drive. Freight, for its part, hardly ever encounters a stop light due to all the odd angles. So they flow rather nicely, at least.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

SimCity 4 simulated that and did it quite well. Most players modded the mechanic out of the game.

My massive tower projects that held ~3000 people each were some of my favorite parts of my city. Its a feel I really miss from this game, since that sort of density was not easy to achieve.

Friction posted:

I wasn't sure if this was going to work, but it does! The new industrial area on the left loads ships at the harbor, and unloads them at the cargo hub on the right. Awesome! Now I don't need to figure out how to pull a good looking rail line there.

Where did you get those nice chemical tanks? I really enjoy industrial zones, harbours and trains, but am so far terrible at putting them together in a way that doesn't result in massive congestion.

e: I know why that looks so cool, you have big flat empty paved areas that don't look dumb. How did you do that?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Friction posted:

What sea walls you using? Still looking for good industrial sea walls.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Friction posted:

Noice! No lights in windows though? Is this something you came up with, or based on some existing building?

This thing isn't done by a long shot. I'll be adding window lights in very soon! It's based on the Columbia Center, Seattle's tallest skyscraper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zero One posted:

I'm playing that map now too. I ended up with a mostly underground railway because the rail bridges looked like crap next to the giant highway bridges around the harbors.

I'll try to get pics later today.

http://imgur.com/a/BSgNr

Downtown

Bridges and freeways are pretty

Nightime overview. My low income/industry island in the bottom. Tourist at top left.

Downtown

Daytime overview

I think I've hit the cap as my attempts to build out a low income district to support my industry hasn't been working. This area used to be filled with industry and now it looks like Detroit. Mission accomplished, I guess.