Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tae posted:

Does anyone have settings for good OBS recording settings that don't make 50 gigs for for 15 minutes of footage?

What is your bitrate and resolution and are you doing that weird lossless OBS trick thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ChaosArgate posted:

What is your bitrate and resolution and are you doing that weird lossless OBS trick thing?

I basically followed the OP guide. My recording resolution is 1280x720.

edit: Never mind, I figured out the problem. Sony Vegas was spitting out 50 gig videos, and I misplaced it as my OBS file.

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 6, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Yeah, Lagarith's pretty neat. But since it's in the Recommended Software list I worked under the assumption it was already in use. I... presume we don't have a Lagarith substitute if that's not working out for someone, do we?

I used UTVideo for the Fez LP, which is the only codec I could find that worked with Premiere on OSX for me, since it wouldn't accept the raw Fraps files.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Edit: Are you using the Lagarith codec with Hypercam, Tyty?

I tried it. I still got somewhat jumpy video, though it wasn't nearly as bad as hypercam's full uncompressed.

I normally use dxtory to record and while it works with the software it doesn't record the screen area. The software does a weird thing where it renders it in a backbuffer then displays a shrunk version. dxtory records the backbuffer itself since it hooks in through directx directly.

I can get the backbuffer to render at native size but I either need to turn on a filter, or I get a weird diagonal tear with odd artifacting on the left side of it like this

So my options are to record at 2x size with the filter on using dxtory and attempt to downsize it nearest neighbor in post (which gets me some resizing artifacts), or to find a different recording software that can record a screen area...

Is there anything that just repeats an area of the screen? I might be able to use dxtory through that

EDIT: I have a sort-of solution. If I record at 4x size with filtering on and resize the screenshots down in Photoshop I get a ~7% difference at most between a raw screenshot and the recorded video. That's not too bad.

Gifs might not match but It'll work fine for videos.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 6, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Tae posted:

Does anyone have settings for good OBS recording settings that don't make 50 gigs for for 15 minutes of footage?

I can stretch a GB of 1080p 60fps to 45min by using the default encoder (x264 iirc) at a constant video bitrate of 3000, audio 160 output to .flv. I'm pretty sure the file size would be approximately the same in .mp4, if you prefer that. The big deciding factor is the encoder's cpu usage preset, the faster you set it the more artifacting you get and depending on the game it can be pretty stark. You can compensate for it partially by throwing more bytes at the problem, but you'll hit diminishing returns very quickly, and anything beyond 4000 is pretty much indistinguishable.

Btw, does anyone know how to change the audio output from mono?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Man, is Desmume still not using fixed point math for their software renderer? You can see weird double-pixels and cut off pixels on the text and I swear we had exactly that problem in another LP years ago.

I also remember making a custom build that worked around that, let's see if I still have that somewhere...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's EO4 dude, that's coming off his capture card. :ssh:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh, haha, my fault for only half reading the conversation.

That confuses me even more though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dang it. Sandbox commentary made me want to try a video LP, but when I try to get the video higher quality in VirtualDub, i.e. Re-sizing filters to 1280 x 720, adjusting HSV values, increasing sharpening, etc. it's still too large, even after compression. Am I erring by trying to re-size the video?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What do you mean by "too large"? What compression method are you using this time?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Still using Lagarith. It is only about 3 mins long and is getting to be over 3 GB, and the orignal .avi was less than half a GB.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Lagarith should be used for source recordings before editing to make sure you have a lossless source and don't double-encode stuff. When you're done editing and ready to export the final video, use x264 (see advice #8 in the OP).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Samovar posted:

Still using Lagarith. It is only about 3 mins long and is getting to be over 3 GB, and the orignal .avi was less than half a GB.

You said you were re-sizing to 1280x720 - from what size? Make the frames bigger and you make the video bigger. The other filtering you're doing could also increase the amount of data required to contain the lossless video. Six or seven times the original size isn't impossible under the right conditions. You're not going to upload Lagarith video anyway - when you make the final version for upload, you'll use a lossy compression like x264 that will reduce the size from what it is in the temporary format. Just don't do a lossy conversion on video that's already undergone a lossy conversion.

A gigabyte per minute may be too big for your storage, in which case, either buy a bigger hard drive or don't do all those conversions until you're ready to export the video.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I have a convenience problem for editing. Virtualdub only takes MP3, but Sony Vegas only takes AAC. Right now I'm using movies maker in place of Vegas to edit stuff, but is there anyway to make dub and vegas take the same audio?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tae posted:

So I have a convenience problem for editing. Virtualdub only takes MP3, but Sony Vegas only takes AAC. Right now I'm using movies maker in place of Vegas to edit stuff, but is there anyway to make dub and vegas take the same audio?

Use uncompressed PCM WAV? Just about everything should eat that.

It's not like it takes up a meaningful amount of space for intermediate files, 48 kHz 16 bit stereo is just under 11 MB per minute. That's not even 500 MB for 40 minutes of audio, nothing compared to how much the video recording takes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

nielsm posted:

Use uncompressed PCM WAV? Just about everything should eat that.

It's not like it takes up a meaningful amount of space for intermediate files, 48 kHz 16 bit stereo is just under 11 MB per minute. That's not even 500 MB for 40 minutes of audio, nothing compared to how much the video recording takes.

This is for video recording, and OBS only has MP3/AAC settings.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tae posted:

Why do you need to put the video into VirtualDub, and have the audio follow too?

Either way if you really do need to do full pipeline video processing in VDub, feed both video and audio in through AviSynth, even just the simplest one-line FFMpegSource("videofile.mp4") will be fine for that. The only downside of that is that "direct stream copy" mode for saving will output raw, uncompressed video and audio, i.e. you must re-encode.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Got a seemingly simple question but I want to ask it anyway. If I use Fraps to record some gameplay while I am in a Skype call will Fraps pick up the Skype call in addition to the game audio if I am using Voicemeeter to share the game audio with the rest of the call?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe. It depends entirely how you have it set up.

If I understand how FRAPS works, it records anything sent to the default audio device. So if your Skype audio is going to the default audio device, FRAPS will record it. If you've got Voicemeeter set up such that Skype is all going to a non-default audio source, it shouldn't.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

I just did a test and found that Fraps wasn't picking up the Skype call. Now the only lingering problem is if there is a way to make my skype call recorder not pick up the game audio. I am using the Evaer call recorder if that helps.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'm going to guess that a call recorder will just record everything going in and coming out of Skype; what you can do instead is use Audacity or something similar to just record the audio from the audio source that you make Skype output to, along with your input. It should still all be doable with Voicemeeter, if I recall correctly, though you may need to get Voicemeeter Banana instead of regular VM. You want:

- Skype picking up an audio input that is you and the game audio mixed together
- Skype output going to your speakers, but not Fraps
- Audacity/whatever recording an audio input that is you and Skype output, and not Fraps either
- Fraps recording game audio, but not any other audio

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

I think if I just have everyone in the call just record their own audio with Audacity then that will work since Fraps isn't picking up the call.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GMArcturus posted:

I think if I just have everyone in the call just record their own audio with Audacity then that will work since Fraps isn't picking up the call.

That's arguably what you should be doing in the first place.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Tae posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem, Tae, but is anything keeping you from extracting the audio from the mp4 from OBS (either with Save as WAV with VirtualDub or opening the editor for the audio track in Vegas) and exporting it to a different format in Audacity? And then replacing the old audio track in Vegas with the compatible one?

ChaosArgate posted:

That's arguably what you should be doing in the first place.

Yeah, exactly. You have so many more options in post-processing if you have everybody's audio separately. Not the least of which is manually adjusting everybody's volume to make sure you all sound about the same, heh.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

I have an update on my situation, apparently Fraps did pick up the call just not my end of it, so I guess the easiest way to deal with this situation is to just have everyone be quiet during conversation trees and just let there be one audio track, but is there a way for me to let the rest of the call hear the game audio and not get the call picked up by the game audio?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's the accepted alternative to AviSynth? I want something that isn't massively unfriendly towards the user.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

What's the accepted alternative to AviSynth? I want something that isn't massively unfriendly towards the user.

I don't think there's (yet) any sensible NLE's that are both featureful and free.

Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Premiere CS2 is technically free since Adobe's killed support for it and is offering product keys for it online for free. It's old though and maaaaay have issues on a modern machine.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wanamingo posted:

Windows Movie Maker.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Premiere CS2 is technically free since Adobe's killed support for it and is offering product keys for it online for free. It's old though and maaaaay have issues on a modern machine.

Not to mention that 'giving it away for free' wasn't their actual intent and if they could stop people they would.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wayne posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem, Tae, but is anything keeping you from extracting the audio from the mp4 from OBS (either with Save as WAV with VirtualDub or opening the editor for the audio track in Vegas) and exporting it to a different format in Audacity? And then replacing the old audio track in Vegas with the compatible one?

The solution I'm trying to get (universal one file) is to save time. There's nothing stopping me from rendering one format to the other, but that takes up an extra 2-3 hours for something I ultimately will take the hit on quality for using movie maker.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Using WIndows 10 64-bit, just recently upgraded from Windows 7. Trying to record Undertale, having some issues I didn't have before the upgrade.

Steps:
1. Start OBS
2. Start game
3. Enable WIndow Capture, specify game window
4. Start recording
5. Right click output, Fit To Screen

Result:

I've googled for the answer, but every time they say solution is just right click, fit to screen. My video's stuck small in the corner even after fitting to screen. Anyone seen this in win10 before?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Edit Scene is a toggle button as I recall, and you need to have it toggled on and then you should be able to right click and choose "fit to scene."

Edit: Or wait, is this an old issue with the difference between "window capture" and "game capture"? As I recall one of them would ignore the size of their actual place in the "scene" and just use the unscaled size no matter what you did.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 9, 2015

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Looks like switching to Game Capture fixed it - still, weird that Window Capture is acting up. Hopefully I won't need to stream anything out of a window any time soon on that computer.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Tae posted:

The solution I'm trying to get (universal one file) is to save time. There's nothing stopping me from rendering one format to the other, but that takes up an extra 2-3 hours for something I ultimately will take the hit on quality for using movie maker.

Well, extracting the audio only takes a couple minutes. I guess the big question is why do you want the audio openable in both VirtualDub and Vegas? You can convert the audio to about whatever format you want by opening the separate track in Audacity and then exporting it (as long as you have the plugins of course), and then convert it back when you're done editing to AC3 or something and use AVIDemux or Handbrake to put it back in a video container with the video track, all without ever having to render.

v Yeah, very true. Ideally you'd only need to convert once (either at the start or end), which is why I was trying to figure out why he wanted to have a format usable by two different editors.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 10, 2015

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Just be aware that every time you transcode something lossy to another lossy codec you lose further quality so avoid/use sparingly if you can.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nielsm posted:

I don't think there's (yet) any sensible NLE's that are both featureful and free.

Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas.

Thanks a bunch. I was bashing my head against the problem for over an hour in AviSynth, but in Premiere it was solved by right clicking on it and picking an option.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Thanks a bunch. I was bashing my head against the problem for over an hour in AviSynth, but in Premiere it was solved by right clicking on it and picking an option.

"The problem" you say... have you tried "the solution"? I don't know what steps you've taken to try to solve your problem, but describing what it is and asking for help doesn't seem to have been one of them.

Granted, most people with that little patience prefer the programs that do everything visually, but there's a lot less help to be offered when they have problems. Most of the "Premier broke and I don't know what to do" queries I've seen have met with little more response than "good luck".

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nidoking posted:

"The problem" you say... have you tried "the solution"? I don't know what steps you've taken to try to solve your problem, but describing what it is and asking for help doesn't seem to have been one of them.

Granted, most people with that little patience prefer the programs that do everything visually, but there's a lot less help to be offered when they have problems. Most of the "Premier broke and I don't know what to do" queries I've seen have met with little more response than "good luck".

You know, I was considering saying something about how I was surprised that nobody jumped on me for not wanting to deal with AviSynth, but I didn't want to sound snippy.

I've never done this stuff before, okay? I'm working on a single video for the casual LP thread, and like gently caress am I going to learn AviSynth for that. All I wanted is some user friendly editing software, and Premiere is more than good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

You know, I was considering saying something about how I was surprised that nobody jumped on me for not wanting to deal with AviSynth, but I didn't want to sound snippy.

I've never done this stuff before, okay? I'm working on a single video for the casual LP thread, and like gently caress am I going to learn AviSynth for that. All I wanted is some user friendly editing software, and Premiere is more than good enough for me.

Fair enough. I just take umbrage when people say they have a problem and blame their tools without bothering to look for a solution. They both have their advantages - Premiere makes it visually easier to do stuff, and Avisynth lets you automate it so you don't have to keep doing the simple thing over and over again. If all you'd said was "Hey, Premiere is easy, thanks" I'd have had nothing to say. When you throw in a "Avisynth has unsolvable problems guys why do you use it when Premiere lets you magic everything with a right-click" my snark reflex kicks in.