Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

k-uno posted:

* Close to stock Android (light customization by the manufacturer)

with the G4 seeming to be a bit better than the other two (nice screen, 3GB RAM, very good camera) from reviews I've read. Is there anything I'm missing? And given the constraints which is the best?

Direct conflict here - the LG skin is about as heavy and far from stock as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

The more I use the Note 5's fingerprint scanner, the more I wish it was on the back of the phone. It's already a delicate balancing act to use it one-handed, trying to reach the scanner at the bottom is usually a pain in the rear end.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

uPen posted:

Screen is beautiful, camera is awesome, fingerprint scanner sucks, battery life is atrocious, don't get the edge.

The fingerprint scanner on my s6 edge works great. Not sure what you mean. The rest of the post is accurate.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

vyst posted:

The fingerprint scanner on my s6 edge works great. Not sure what you mean. The rest of the post is accurate.

It is dramatically worse than any of the Nexus Imprint scanners or TouchID dating back to last gen.

Way, way too many missed fingerprints and slow to boot.

Also, if you are buying a S6, for gods sake just buy a used one and don't get it from a carrier store. They're on Swappa for under $400 now.

Cozmosis fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 9, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

k-uno posted:

I'm getting a new android phone around Christmastime, and I'm trying to narrow down my options. Specifically, I'll be buying an unlocked phone outright to use with T-Mobile, with a budget of around $400-450. I need a minimum of 32 GB of storage and currently use a Nexus 5 that I've had since 2013, which is a good phone but the camera is poo poo and it's starting to get buggy and slow. The most important things for me are:

* Close to stock Android (light customization by the manufacturer)
* Decent amount of RAM-- I like to load lots of longform articles in tabs to read later when I expect my internet connectivity to be bad (such as when I'm about to get onto a plane)
* Can disable everything that feels intrusive to privacy (e.g. turn off the "always listen for commands via audio" setting and things like that). With my Nexus 5 I've been able to turn off most everything that left me unsettled.
* Good camera. This is the big one; I didn't realize just how bad the Nexus 5's camera was until my wife got an iPhone 5S that just blows it out of the water.

Given these constraints, I've narrowed it down to the LG G4, Nexus 5X, and Moto X Pure. They all seem like pretty good phones, with the G4 seeming to be a bit better than the other two (nice screen, 3GB RAM, very good camera) from reviews I've read. Is there anything I'm missing? And given the constraints which is the best?

If you want a phone with a decent amount of RAM, the 5x has less RAM than all the other phones you are comparing.

Really, the smart play is to save an extra $50 and buy a 6p. It is far and away better than all those other options.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Get the 5X and use Pocket or something similar so tabs reloading doesn't matter.

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004
Thanks for the advice guys, it seems like it might be best to save up and spring for the 6P.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Selane posted:

No it's not. Unless you're a child you can only fit half your finger on the sensor because it's so small. So if you use it and you put the exact section of your finger that you initially registered on the button, it will usually work. But you have to stop and consciously think about how to position your finger in order to get it to work, and at that point it's not really saving you any time or effort. It's total garbage compared to either the iPhone 6s or the 5x/6p, where you just mash any part of your finger on the sensor at any angle and it works 100% of the time and unlocks the phone in a fraction of a second.

Samsung's fingerprint scanners will always suck until they get over their obsession with oval-shaped buttons/sensors and switch to a big round one like the phones I mentioned where you can actually fit your whole finger on it.

edit: As someone who owns an S6 uPens assessment is entirely accurate. Display and camera are pretty much #1 in the industry, battery blows rear end(can be circumvented by getting the Note 5 instead), and fingerprint scanner is lousy, especially compared to iPhone/Nexus standards.

At this point Desk Lamp has turned into the equivalent of mindless Samsung-bashers, only in reverse.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Note 5's scanner is approximately the same size as the S6's and I never have any trouble with it. My wife doesn't have any problems with the one on her S6.

The fingerprint registration specifically asks you to scan every bit of your finger over the course of the 10-15 times and in fact it should be impossible to only scan one portion of your finger because it notices that and asks you to scan OTHER PORTIONS OF YOUR FINGER.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 9, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

At this point Desk Lamp has turned into the equivalent of mindless Samsung-bashers, only in reverse.

I don't think that's fair, I think Desk Lamp is a Samsung fan who makes good points backing his opinions. Just because the guy likes and defends Samsung doesn't mean he's mindless (crazy as it seems to defend Samsung) and I feel like the advice he gives is good and to be honest a little refreshing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

The fingerprint registration specifically asks you to scan every bit of your finger over the course of the 10-15 times and in fact it should be impossible to only scan one portion of your finger because it notices that and asks you to scan OTHER PORTIONS OF YOUR FINGER.

You might want to watch your other fingers, you seem to have accidentally found your caps lock key!

Despite the registration process, the Samsung reader is still just alright. Often takes me two+ tries to unlock, often unlocks first try.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

dissss posted:

Direct conflict here - the LG skin is about as heavy and far from stock as you can get.

I haven't used the G4, but this is a hilarious statement in a world where the Fire Phone exists.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I haven't used the G4, but this is a hilarious statement in a world where the Fire Phone exists.

Well right but nobody should be recommending the Fire Phone so

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I'm seeing things online about how the new Droid Turbo works on T-Mobile. Is that true? Is there any loss in functionality vs. a phone designed for T-Mobile?

Thanks in advance!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

No one SHOULD be even thinking about the fire phone. It is Android in name only.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

No one SHOULD be even thinking about the fire phone. It is Android in name only.

I dunno, maybe if you got it for 15 cents and then put Cyanogenmod on it or something?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dissss posted:

The back on my N4 never cracked and I never used a case or took any special care of it. A friend that had one cracked the back once, but he also cracked the screen a couple of times.

My 360 is starting to crack though and I've never mistreated that.

After this problem arose, there was a design revision on the N4 that gave it little nubs on the phone body to keep the back glass from directly touching surfaces.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I don't think that's fair, I think Desk Lamp is a Samsung fan who makes good points backing his opinions. Just because the guy likes and defends Samsung doesn't mean he's mindless (crazy as it seems to defend Samsung) and I feel like the advice he gives is good and to be honest a little refreshing.

ok, i take back the mindless thing.

Of course, AFAICT, he's absolutely wrong about the fingerprint scanner thing.

Also, it's just as tiring to hear him jump in to defend Samsung at every slight, as it is to hear people bashing them at every mention.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

After this problem arose, there was a design revision on the N4 that gave it little nubs on the phone body to keep the back glass from directly touching surfaces.

I thought that was due to the rear-facing speaker(s) being sealed off when laid against a flat surface? - like a hardware Do Not Disturb mode :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I recently moved to the Note 5 and agree, the fingerprint scanner is garbage and I stopped using it after 2 days, camera/display are incredible, and the battery is good but I've been told it's because it's a Note 5 and the S6 is indeed crap on this. I don't mind Touchwiz much at all anymore, the only thing I strongly dislike is the notification tray, it's very bad compared to stock Android.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lblitzer posted:

Well right but nobody should be recommending the Fire Phone so

Agreed (Well, it was kind of interesting as a $30 device that could run CM), but to imply that LG's UI is at some kind of extreme end is disingenuous at best. I watched some youtube videos of the LG G4 UI and the changes seem pretty minimal. Then again, I'm one of those folks who think that there's tons of room for improvement over Google's stock UI.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Mine was a pre-revision model

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
For anyone interested, Anandtech's review of the Nexus 5x is online.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review

Awesome camera if you just leave HDR+ on by default. Really good accurate display. Good battery life. Looks like a great buy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Agreed (Well, it was kind of interesting as a $30 device that could run CM), but to imply that LG's UI is at some kind of extreme end is disingenuous at best. I watched some youtube videos of the LG G4 UI and the changes seem pretty minimal. Then again, I'm one of those folks who think that there's tons of room for improvement over Google's stock UI.

Go actually use one - there are a lot changes both visual and functional that add up to a vastly different experience.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

spincube posted:

I thought that was due to the rear-facing speaker(s) being sealed off when laid against a flat surface? - like a hardware Do Not Disturb mode :v:

Yeah, it was because the back basically muffled the speaker 100%. The back can still randomly crack.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I haven't had the fingerprint scanner on the Note5 not work for me in over a week. Try adding another "finger" profile and use the same thumb/finger at different angles.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It definitely downloaded all my previous apps, but only the apps tied to my personal account (not my work account, which has its own apps).

Not all the apps appear to have kept their settings in the cloud, I am doing a lot of re-logging in. The Awful forums app kept me logged in across devices, though!

I know this is a little late, but if your phone isn't rooted, and you absolutely need your saved data on your old phone, the only reliable way to backup/restore your data is via command-line adb backup. It has the potential of being dangerous, especially if you forget to specify the -nosystem command line argument (you don't want to copy the system data of your old device to your new one). Really, your only other alternative is to root your phone and use Titanium Backup.

I'm really surprised that after all this time Google still doesn't have a good way to back up and restore apps.

babua
Apr 29, 2009
Has anyone gotten their hands on a Blackberry Priv? I've never used a Blackberry, but the build looks good and I just love a hardware keyboard. What are your impressions?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
How true is it that prior Nexus devices saw tangible hardware differences between initial release and later batches? The 6P's "spontaneously cracking glass" and the 5X's rotated image problem (that's probably more an issue of third-party devs not using the Camera2 API) has me wondering whether I should wait a couple months for potential quality issues to be identified and addressed in proceeding shipments.

And the Nexus store is bizarre. Setting aside the fact that it's impossible to cancel orders after the 70-minute cancellation window ("The ordering process is entirely automated, there's nothing we can do"), an order placed on Saturday initially said it'd be delivered between the 18th and the 20th, turns into being shipped today with overnight service. I guess it doesn't matter, I'll probably refuse delivery and pick up a 5X in a couple months when things have settled down.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The camera thing isn't a hardware fault, its just lazy app devs

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Karthe posted:

has me wondering whether I should wait a couple months for potential quality issues to be identified and addressed in proceeding shipments.

The answer to this question is almost always yes for every product unless you just have to have the product right now because (for example) your phone broke or something.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
hey guys, i currently have an LG Lucid 2 and im eligible to upgrade. what are the current goon recommended phones?
im cool with mostly anything except i hate ""phablets"" i dont want some huge monolith of a phone

also my current phone is my first smart phone so this is my first time upgrading from one smart phone to another, does android have some kind of backup+transfer process wrt apps and settings or anything like that or is it just "pop in your old SD card, re-download all your apps on your new phone, and app data transfer is on an app by app basis"?

tia

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AfroGunsou posted:

hey guys, i currently have an LG Lucid 2 and im eligible to upgrade. what are the current goon recommended phones?
im cool with mostly anything except i hate ""phablets"" i dont want some huge monolith of a phone

also my current phone is my first smart phone so this is my first time upgrading from one smart phone to another, does android have some kind of backup+transfer process wrt apps and settings or anything like that or is it just "pop in your old SD card, re-download all your apps on your new phone, and app data transfer is on an app by app basis"?

tia

Bad news, all phones are now pretty huge. Default goon suggestions are any of the new Nexus phones (5x or 6p), Moto X Pure, and if you really want a smaller phone look at that Sony z5c.

Transferring stuff on android is a bit if a crap shoot.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Karthe posted:

an order placed on Saturday initially said it'd be delivered between the 18th and the 20th, turns into being shipped today with overnight service.

This is one thing I am quite happy for. But then again, they did just make the label, they could always hold the package for a few days since it is not actually ready for shipment.

It's something the place I used to work did. Some resellers required a tracking number same day even if their package was not ready for shipment.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

It is dramatically worse than any of the Nexus Imprint scanners or TouchID dating back to last gen.

Way, way too many missed fingerprints and slow to boot.

Also, if you are buying a S6, for gods sake just buy a used one and don't get it from a carrier store. They're on Swappa for under $400 now.

Got any substantiated proof of this? Everything I've read and experienced as an owner says you're competely wrong.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have no issue with the Galaxy S6 thumbprint reader either. It works fine. I just made sure to wipe the sensor and take pictures of all pieces of my thumb from all angles and whatnot.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Welp.

Since the 5x is already too big, figured it's Huawei or the highway. I'm hoping Apple really does make a small phone again so in a year or two I can buy a small Nexus. With wireless charging.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Haha even I'll admit it can sometimes seem that way. Seriously though, have you used the fingerprint scanner on the S6/N5? I have and it works pretty much like I've seen the Nexus ones work in videos. You'd have to be functionally retarded to mess up using either one and they both work nearly instantaneously. In fact I thought the guy was mistakenly referring to the previous generation scanner at first.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

Since the 5x is already too big, figured it's Huawei or the highway. I'm hoping Apple really does make a small phone again so in a year or two I can buy a small Nexus. With wireless charging.

Are you implying that Nexus copied iPhone? Giant phones are Samsung's doing.

Also my 5'1 wife, whose feet are smaller than my hands, has a 6P and has no problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

butt dickus posted:

Welp.

I read something about a smaller iPhone coming out next year but it'll be too late for you, you'll be a gigantophone convert by then.