Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The practice option is only unlocked after you've done your graded daily run, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Changing annoying challenges right after I grinded out SPEED! today. All it took was Epic Fetus in the first item room followed by lots of orbitals and then a Stopwatch in the last possible shop. Then I had an amazing Lost run where I picked up the Get Out of Jail Free card that the challenge unlocked, and beat Mega Satan. That was the last thing I needed to do with The Lost. Now hopefully the patch makes the Guardian challenge easier, because gently caress that.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Y'know, I had a much easier time of the Guardian than I did Speed! I didn't have to deal with very many rooms with lots of spikes or red poop, I guess.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

senrath posted:

The practice option is only unlocked after you've done your graded daily run, though.

I wonder if anyone ever even plays them again.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I finally finished all the challenges! Now time to do Megasatan/Hush/Greed with the Lost! :suicide:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Wugga posted:

I wonder if anyone ever even plays them again.

Probably. There are undoubtedly people who want to see how well they could have done if they'd not picked up an item, or just played better, etc.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

senrath posted:

Probably. There are undoubtedly people who want to see how well they could have done if they'd not picked up an item, or just played better, etc.

I replayed that Lost daily from a few days back after I died like 2 rooms in or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
First letter of each line of the first section spells out "ur so close".

loving Edmund :allears:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

senrath posted:

Y'know, I had a much easier time of the Guardian than I did Speed! I didn't have to deal with very many rooms with lots of spikes or red poop, I guess.

No items truly break Speed! like many of the other challenges, save for the stopwatch maybe? That was my experience anyway. It was the toughest challenge for me because you need to not only have good items, but you have to get good room layouts and the right bosses too.

With Guardian, you get the good orbitals and you can wreck most rooms before the punching bag can do something stupid.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SuicideSnowman posted:

No items truly break Speed! like many of the other challenges, save for the stopwatch maybe? That was my experience anyway. It was the toughest challenge for me because you need to not only have good items, but you have to get good room layouts and the right bosses too.

With Guardian, you get the good orbitals and you can wreck most rooms before the punching bag can do something stupid.

Proptosis, holy mantle, dmg up galore and guppy made the time limit not even important. I think I even did the boss rush on it because why not cricket's head :pwn:

Halfway through the boss rush the damage started happening and I got all confused as to WTF was going on

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

flyboi posted:

Proptosis, holy mantle, dmg up galore and guppy made the time limit not even important. I think I even did the boss rush on it because why not cricket's head :pwn:

Halfway through the boss rush the damage started happening and I got all confused as to WTF was going on

Yeah, I get damage runs like that maybe once in every 1000 unless I'm purposely breaking the game which takes time. I don't even know the last time I've seen Proptosis. Even on the run that I completed Speed! I barely scraped by with mom's knife, and two damage items. That was only because I got lucky with room layouts.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Holy poo poo, when will I stop taking Bob's brain? gently caress me sideways, what was I thinking?!

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Finally beat Brains! with a floor 1 dark bum+bag face+i've seen everything and a floor 2 krampus head. Having effectively unlimited resources by Caves 2 certainly makes things more manageable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Red Mundus posted:

Holy poo poo, when will I stop taking Bob's brain? gently caress me sideways, what was I thinking?!

I don't know why but every time I see the Cursed Eye I think it's The Inner Eye

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Pyromaniac and the diaper thing that drops a poop bomb randomly makes for a pretty easy greed run

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I used to get it confused with mom's pearl

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

SUPER MEGA GREED is so boring. I hope they eventually make the fight more dynamic, and less tanky. I literally spent like 10 minutes soymilk coin shooting him and his stupid coins. Its not hard and its not fun.

Hang on - are you saying you picked up Soy Milk and Tears of the Keeper in a Greed run? Tears of the Keeper has a chance to create a coin every time your tears hit, and Ultra Greed heals by picking up coins. Combined with Soy Milk dramatically reducing damage and increasing fire rate ... you get the picture?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I get it mixed up with Mom's Pearl 100% of the time and it's awful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

I used to do that but just remember that the cursed eye is a pedestal item and mom's pearl is a trinket and you'll stop messing that up really fast

tho I still pause to consider the loving thing as though I'd never seen it before every now and then

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

RoboCicero posted:

It's funny because sometimes I do this too despite one being a trinket and the other being a pedestal item.

I wish I could remove it from the game altogether along with Missing No. now that you can set up a "buy every item in the game" combo

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Is Sacred Heart more common now? I've bumped into it maybe 5 times since Afterbirth came out. I think I've seen it only about 5 times before, Rebirth and Flash Isaac put together.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Hang on - are you saying you picked up Soy Milk and Tears of the Keeper in a Greed run? Tears of the Keeper has a chance to create a coin every time your tears hit, and Ultra Greed heals by picking up coins. Combined with Soy Milk dramatically reducing damage and increasing fire rate ... you get the picture?

I'm saying I got dealt a bad hand by MISSING NO. but the fight is loving Boring no matter what. If you make it to him normally you can't lose. It's just a dull fight.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Bob's brain is a good item. One of the best

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Bob's brain is a good item. One of the best

I like it when I have moms knife. If I have a good fire rate I skip it

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

senrath posted:

Speed! took me more tries than any of the other new challenges. I got lucky with Brains, but still.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Has anybody noticed that rocks sometime explode when you enter the room? Managed to clear most of this room just by walking in and out

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Has anybody noticed that rocks sometime explode when you enter the room? Managed to clear most of this room just by walking in and out

Wanna say it's one of the evil items

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey, so sorry if this has been asked before but which challenge runs should I prioritize in terms of item unlocks?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

This has happened to me since rebirth came out but very rarely. It seems to happen more often in afterbirth.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

kemikalkadet posted:

This has happened to me since rebirth came out but very rarely. It seems to happen more often in afterbirth.

Same here. It's hilarious when it's a bomb rock near the entrance or a beggar.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Augus posted:

Hey, so sorry if this has been asked before but which challenge runs should I prioritize in terms of item unlocks?

Same question but not limited to challenges and specific for character starting items. The only thing I got since Afterbirth was the paper clip for Cain from Lillith Greed mode. I'm probably still missing stuff from rebirth too. I got the D6 for Isaac and I think that's it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Augus posted:

I saved this post from not too long ago:

omeg posted:

From challenges: Waka Waka (scythes), High Brow (Jera rune), Solar System (Perthro rune), Demo Man (Chaos Card, needs Dr Fetus unlocked), Cat Got Your Tongue (Algiz rune, requires being Guppy once), The Host (Tech 0.5), Family Man if you can (Epic Fetus).

Items: Knife (beat Satan as Isaac), Ipecac if you can handle it (beat heart 6 times), candles (donate in the shop a lot), lots of good stuff in the shop (donate to 999).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, I finally beat ultra greed but he stole all my (few) coins so apparently I don't get an unlock? gently caress YOU! never again on this ridiculous patch. I had enough firepower to kill pretty much anything in a second but gently caress you! the healing coins resolve in less than a second! :lol: gotcha again!

Has anybody seen Edmund clear his own game?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

kemikalkadet posted:

It seems to happen based on your Luck stat, which would make sense given that Afterbirth added the Lucky Pennies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

trucutru posted:

Haha, I finally beat ultra greed but he stole all my (few) coins so apparently I don't get an unlock? gently caress YOU! never again on this ridiculous patch. I had enough firepower to kill pretty much anything in a second but gently caress you! the healing coins resolve in less than a second! :lol: gotcha again!

Has anybody seen Edmund clear his own game?

game's not that hard. wouldn't be surprised if he tested a lot of things like once and then moved on tho

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

How do you beat Brains? By having, Proptosis, Quad Shot and Guppy with an Incubus and Monster Box of course! That was a nice run.

I also managed to destroy Guardian by having a devil deal containing Guppy's Paw, Abaddon and Pact while holding the Soul Converter. Managed to cap my HP and never had issues afterwards. Dunno if the damage ups helped, but fear helped for sure.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

God I keep getting the Habit and a poo poo load of batteries during Greed Mode and still can't beat it with Lilith. That damage cap is retarded (plus I'm garbage at dodging v:downs:v )

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the secret to making lilith the best character is lil brimstone. even better is if you can combo it with regular brimstone

I like lilith a lot because she's really unique and actually makes a lot of familiars way, way more useful. might be my favorite character now that azazel is straight trash

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Speaking of which, easiest Family Man yet:

All I have for old challenges on my new save is The Purist. So far the old challenges seem a lot easier with the new items, just as long as an early Rag Man or Stain doesn't gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I finally managed to beat speed with cricket's head on floor 1 and scythes on a floor 3 devil deal. Some other damage ups and some lucky heart drops helped. I STILL almost died in the womb, but for once not to the timer damage. Just to my own impatience.