Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

Graviteam Tactics + All the DLC for $7.50. And I just bought Combat Mission Normandy last night...

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/graviteam-tactics-bundle

Thanks for this, been meaning to check this series out. Any suggestions on the best version to start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yooper posted:

Graviteam Tactics + All the DLC for $7.50. And I just bought Combat Mission Normandy last night...

If you had been playing Combat Mission to death and wanted something different, I would recommend the Graviteam games. Otherwise just play CM.

Goetta posted:

Thanks for this, been meaning to check this series out. Any suggestions on the best version to start with?

They're all the same.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Goetta posted:

I had one of the versions before and I'm really bad at it. The interface is kinda clunky so I just winged it and well, got stomped.

I'd just pick a theatre you're interested in and go to town.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It's just DLC addon campaigns for the base game, not different versions. That said, from what I've read Volokonovka and Shilovo in the Fall Blau theatre as the German side are regarded as the best beginner campaigns.

Read the manuals and some guides scattered over the place and also this Norwegian dude with an amusing put on British accent has a decent tutorial series covering a bunch of poo poo https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx6N3LVwgba0n_wweLFzT_r0-cKi_LIhC and a LP of Operation Star where the first few videos can be useful to watch https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx6N3LVwgba2LHs-gyDye8XFfucvAyxX0

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That is super helpful, thanks

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Matrix just emailed me a 15% off my next purchase coupon, nice timing with DC3 coming out in like 2 weeks. :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

uPen posted:

Matrix just emailed me a 15% off my next purchase coupon, nice timing with DC3 coming out in like 2 weeks. :getin:

Is it a one-time use thing, or a general coupon code? I didn't get any email :(

I even reinstalled War in the West today! That should earn me some karma points, even if I never finish more than a couple turns...

Some day I'll figure out how to do beach landings. Some day.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

COOL CORN posted:

Is it a one-time use thing, or a general coupon code? I didn't get any email :(

I even reinstalled War in the West today! That should earn me some karma points, even if I never finish more than a couple turns...

Some day I'll figure out how to do beach landings. Some day.

Beach landings are pretty easy, it's air drops and really anything to do with airplanes at all that is tremendously difficult.

Also supply.

And setting up Mulberry harbors.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Yooper posted:

Thanks for this, Already had the original and operation star but hey won't spit on all the dlc in one go

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flashpoint Campaigns just got a patch and expansion pack.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm getting destroyed in my GROGNARD PBEM game vs this guy.

He's found out the magical trick to winning as the Soviets on the offensive is to simply not fight, but send out probing teams of the cheapest units he has and then call down all the Soviet artillery in the world on anything they spot. Can easily wipe out 4+ of my units per turn that way, while missing half the shots and sending some counter-battery fire my way. I don't have nearly as much artillery so the same strategy doesn't really work for me.
I don't think Flashpoint Campaigns does the thing that Wargame did where supplies are actually limited, you just have to call in resupplies and take a short time-out with your guns.
Also turns out that Abrams are squishier than infantry vs artillery strikes and now I'm all out of heavy urban hexes as far as cover goes.
He's very sporting and a cool dude though, so we've been discussing strategies and flaws. He rightly pointed out that artillery strike orders are instantaneous while all unit related orders (movement etc) is heavily delayed, so there's really no way to get away if someone drops 10xartillery strikes on a hex during a turn or two (which is usually enough to murder everything there) or if you're spotted.
On the air front I get a couple of warthogs, but he got a divisions worth of Soviet SPSAMs, so it's not very effective either while he got a couple of big Hind units that can pop any armored counter-attack on my part (because all I get is a few Vulcans), if they could survive the deep woods or the dozens of full stacks of soviet tanks (doubtful) before the artillery starts coming in.

It's slow going, but as the scenario has piddly map VPs (5500 total, and he starts with 1000) and the point value of the forces are something like 26 000 each, so just getting a super K:D ratio is *very* effective.

The most effective tactic to counter this seems to be to figure out where the artillery is at and then drop gas on them as early as possible to thin out the firepower, but that's easier said than done (and comes with a hefty VP penalty - still worth it though if you can hit).

Scratching my head here on what to do beyond "play a better designed scenario next time where there isn't an assload of artillery" :iiam:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That sound like a lovely scenario all round, yes. In the official scenarios at least in my experience soviet arty gets utterly shredded by NATO counter battery usually.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's just a matter of volume and playing with 2.09> where counter-battery fire is always-on, so he can put 25% of his artillery on C and they'll land plenty of hits on mine whenever they fire, while still having enough left over to paste my ground forces.
Which leaves my artillery to either try to auto-counter fire, manually counter fire on the tidbits of intel I get (mostly air defence radars) or try to ignore the enemy artillery and shoot at his dude and achieve a 1:4 ratio in losses.

Now my Abrams opened up on some scouts he sent forward and whelp, their locations are now known and there's no time to evacuate them. He got 10 000 VP worth of kills and I think 90% of those are from artillery. 5 % from gas and the rest from fighting.

I got like 2000 points from fighting, 50-75% is probably from artillery.

e: Looks like the devs are reworking the order delay system from the ground up for the next game, to make smaller movements faster (like defenders redeploying when coming under artillery fire). Should make things much more tolerable.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 12, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh wow, they have really upped the turn speed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Gravit**m *actics: Operation S**r
5TZBJ-6HKD*-JB*W*

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

C.M. Kruger posted:

Gravit**m *actics: Operation S**r
5TZBJ-6HKD*-JB*W*

Making people work for the key?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ElBrak posted:

Making people work for the key?

Some people run keygrabbers.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Riso posted:

Some people run keygrabbers.

Sure, but i am not sure what the solution to that puzzle is. If he was just blocking key grabbers there would be something to tell real people how to solve it.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 15, 2015

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I'm sure you take the started out letter in graviteam tactics operation star and replace the stars in the code. There are the same number of *.

Edit - nvm those aren't all double letters :negative:

Ghostmonkey
Mar 22, 2007
On my third attempt at playing Close Combat: Gateway to Caen I actually started to enjoy myself. My mans are no longer getting shredded by German übermenchen on every encounter, and I have a reasonably good way of dealing with Panzer IIIs and IVs.

Are any of the other Close Combat titles worth getting? What about other games in a similar style?

I've have Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star, but it seems like there's a whole lot more waiting around and then everyone suddenly dies.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Have you tried any of the Combat Mission titles? They're extremely similar to Close Combat. As an added bonus every game has its own robust demo to sample it with!

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Ghostmonkey posted:

Are any of the other Close Combat titles worth getting? What about other games in a similar style?

The generally considered "best one" is A Bridge too Far, which was remade by Matrix fairly recently into Last Stand Arnhem. If you're after something a bit more challenging, Close Combat IV (which I believe is now Wacht am Rhein) is also good.

E: Also Combat Mission is an excellent alternative if you'd rather have something with a bit more depth and tactical nuance.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before but I really wish there was a combination of CM and CC. I love the way Combat Mission combat works but I liked the detailed operational interface and vaguely rpg-ish system of individual soldier tracking.

I also wish there was a naval/air version of games like this too. So basically WITP with every individual soldier and their leadership morale hunger and thirst are simulated. I think I need help. :pwn:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So. It has happened. One PBEM of witp is no longer enough to satisfy me. I crave more. (:gonk:)

Therefore I am looking for a partner, I would like to play Japan as I already have an Allies game going. As this is my first time playing Japan at all and I have only a grand total of 22 turns of PBEM under my belt, I'm looking for an equally clueless person to be Allies.

As you may or may not have noticed I went on an anti pilot micro management crusade, and whilst the results weren't perfect I think (and I'm sure Mr.Yenko would back me up on this) it makes the game a lot more enjoyable, so I'm looking for someone who shares my disgust of excessive pilot management. I also happen to think that effectively removing China as a theatre had a positive effect on the game, but if my hypothetical opponent has some sick fetish for dead Chinese people I'd be happy to roll back that set of changes.

So if there's someone out there who's wanted to try a PBEM but been put off by experienced opponents, the thought of all those pilots hands to be held through school or the China theatre mess, we should totally gently caress grog.

Ghostmonkey
Mar 22, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Have you tried any of the Combat Mission titles? They're extremely similar to Close Combat. As an added bonus every game has its own robust demo to sample it with!

INinja132 posted:

The generally considered "best one" is A Bridge too Far, which was remade by Matrix fairly recently into Last Stand Arnhem. If you're after something a bit more challenging, Close Combat IV (which I believe is now Wacht am Rhein) is also good.

E: Also Combat Mission is an excellent alternative if you'd rather have something with a bit more depth and tactical nuance.

Thanks for this, I'll try them out.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ghostmonkey posted:

On my third attempt at playing Close Combat: Gateway to Caen I actually started to enjoy myself. My mans are no longer getting shredded by German übermenchen on every encounter, and I have a reasonably good way of dealing with Panzer IIIs and IVs.

I've have Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star, but it seems like there's a whole lot more waiting around and then everyone suddenly dies.

There is one guy plugging away on a Unity engine update to Close Combat. It was originally announced to be shipping in 2014, but looks like it will be lucky to ship in 2016.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

TehKeen posted:

I also wish there was a naval/air version of games like this too. So basically WITP with every individual soldier and their leadership morale hunger and thirst are simulated. I think I need help. :pwn:

WITP already tracks the morale, fatigue, health, and training/experience levels for every single pilot in the Pacific theater so...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm THAT guy who started a thread about performance in the SoW Waterloo Steam forums (it's out by the way) questioning the poo poo performance of the game.

A Developer posted:

This is not an FPS, no lag, no split second reactions required - anything over 20 FPS is perfect for these games, and to be honest anything over 12 FPS plays fine you dont even notice.

gently caress that guy and everyone on the dev team. For gently caress's sake.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

anything over 12 FPS plays fine you dont even notice.

New thread title.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm THAT guy who started a thread about performance in the SoW Waterloo Steam forums (it's out by the way) questioning the poo poo performance of the game.

gently caress that guy and everyone on the dev team. For gently caress's sake.

I love how he basically implies you should go back to Call of Duty you filthy casual

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I made a thread on the Scourge of War Steam forum. Guess which one it is.

e: deleted because I don't know they actually censored the one negative review and that it isn't just in a foreign language

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 20, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Drone posted:

I love how he basically implies you should go back to Call of Duty you filthy casual

I'm getting that a LOT from people who haven't read the entire discussion to see the multiple times I've admitted to owning all the ACW Scourge of War modules as well as Combat Mission.

Alchenar posted:

I made a thread on the Scourge of War Steam forum. Guess which one it is.

e: deleted because I don't know they actually censored the one negative review and that it isn't just in a foreign language

Wait, what? They deleted a negative Steam review? Hopefully the dude who put it up did at least.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait, what? They deleted a negative Steam review? Hopefully the dude who put it up did at least.

There's one negative review but I can't see it. That might be because it's deleted, it might be because it's not in English.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh yeah, probably the latter. I've seen new releases with alleged negative reviews but they're invisible due to Russian or whatever.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Scourge of War: Claymation

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Looked at the Scourge of war steam forum:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485622866439876143/

quote:

All the data shows that reducing the price generates more sales but less overall revenue. People think that all games follow a similar pattern and they simply don't. The behaviour between niches is dramatically different to each other and the main stream.

We choose the price that gets the developer the best return so they can keep on making the games.

We tend to avoid sales for the first year after release so early adopters are not punished. We aim at long terms support for years after release. We have a completely different philosophy to most other developers/publishers.
:sigh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a CPU heavy game that can only use one core :negative:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
1.5! :pseudo:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My grog PBEM game continues, in which I learn just what 15 companies of Soviet Artillery + 3 companies of 120 mm mortars can do over 30+ turns:

I like how easy it is to see where there was some sort of normal fighting and where it was just the hammer of communism coming down on the hapless defenders. In some places the craters even cover the blue crosses, hiding my true losses :911:

Oh, and it turns out that infantry is way hardier than tanks in just about any scenario that isn't just both types sitting out in an open field.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Paradox Publishing should start a small grog game arm/label and eat their lunch. :colbert: