Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Got it unlocked over VPN, four more hours till I can go home and play until my eyes bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like that Rockatansky is in there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is slurms in

sout
Apr 24, 2014

aww they don't have any of the Futurama names.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

where are the non white names

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
No Bort or Bart. immersion ruined.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
Oh good. I can name myself Les Moonves and live out my postapocalyptic media mogul fantasies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZenVulgarity posted:

Muhammad is there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My name and fiancee's nabbed are generic enough that I can do first and last names for both of us

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

What about Julio

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have to admit I'm mildly annoyed to find out that this will be yet another game where I have to do some mental gymnastics to explain to myself why I'm rooting around in some decrepit warehouse instead of doing the Super Important Thing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sout posted:

http://hastebin.com/raw/eziriberin List of names. I think. I dunno how to verify it.

Some pop culture references there, Katniss, Furiosa...

Oh damnit, now I have to start over and rename my character Denton.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I have to admit I'm mildly annoyed to find out that this will be yet another game where I have to do some mental gymnastics to explain to myself why I'm rooting around in some decrepit warehouse instead of doing the Super Important Thing.

The Shadowrun games (and possibly baldur's gate 2) did this in a pretty interesting way: By doing the side missions you were actually raising funds to buy information about said Super Important Thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wonder how actual goon parents feel about the save-your-son storyline. Actually, is that the point of the entire game? Or just some sort of plot device to hook you into something that is bigger than you, and the wasteland

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
The five minute span where my Amazon order page said "Arriving Wednesday by 8 pm" were the longest five minutes of my life. Not sure what happened but now it says its coming tomorrow.

As far as the voiced name things go, it seems like its just Cosworth who says it, no other characters.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/9/9695738/fallout-4-codsworth-name-list-video

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Absolutely, it's my only real complaint at the moment.

Full disclosure, I'm a huge RP nerd. I play these games by getting inside my character's head and doing what I think they'd do, not what I know to be the "correct" way of doing things. If the game has a sweeping narrative I find elegant ways to dip in and out of it where its convenient and do side content that I feel serves whatever ends I'm supposed to be pursuing in the main quest ( "I need to become stronger to kill Alduin", for example). In FO4, your son is missing and every second that ticks by with you not actively pursuing him is another second something terrible could be happening to him. If you give two shits about narrative flow but still want to enjoy side content, you're pretty much screwed. If you want to play a character who's generally content and wants to spend his or her days scrounging for junk and loving ghouls, you can't, because SHAUUUUUNNNN!! Your primary motivation as a player is already decided for you, so there's another layer of depth that you won't be able to decide for yourself.

My only hope is that the kid dies or winds up being the big bad because he left the vault 20 years before you and became evil or something. I just can't do the parent thing again. It was hard enough in Red Dead Redemption.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Full disclosure, I'm a huge RP nerd. I play these games by getting inside my character's head and doing what I think they'd do, not what I know to be the "correct" way of doing things. If the game has a sweeping narrative I find elegant ways to dip in and out of it where its convenient and do side content that I feel serves whatever ends I'm supposed to be pursuing in the main quest ( "I need to become stronger to kill Alduin", for example). In FO4, your son is missing and every second that ticks by with you not actively pursuing him is another second something terrible could be happening to him. If you give two shits about narrative flow but still want to enjoy side content, you're pretty much screwed. If you want to play a character who's generally content and wants to spend his or her days scrounging for junk and loving ghouls, you can't, because SHAUUUUUNNNN!! Your primary motivation as a player is already decided for you, so there's another layer of depth that you won't be able to decide for yourself.

My only hope is that the kid dies or winds up being the big bad because he left the vault 20 years before you and became evil or something. I just can't do the parent thing again. It was hard enough in Red Dead Redemption.

I'm just going to RP my dad so I don't have to give a poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

sout posted:

http://hastebin.com/raw/eziriberin List of names. I think. I dunno how to verify it.

Some pop culture references there, Katniss, Furiosa...

Melee/sneak: Gray Fox
Intelligence/charisma: Sexy Asimov

sout
Apr 24, 2014

DJ Django Draper

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I just bought this on the PS4 store because my computer is old can anyone tell me if I'm a loving idiot for this reason?

I expect the game will be fun and good and less crash-prone than the PC version.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Deified Data posted:

A lot of modern (and probably a lot of older) games have a real problem with story pacing. It doesn't matter for most people who just run to the nearest living thing and kill it, but if you're trying to pay attention to the narrative it's pretty bad. I enjoy survival mods partly for this reason. Having to stop and take breaks from the action and explore towns/shelters a bit gives me more believable reason to work in some down time and see things I might not otherwise.

I've been trying to avoid most info, but has if been confirmed if you can keep playing after the main storyline?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The cryo storage clearly made my vault dweller insane and now all he hungers for is radiation and flesh

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

graynull posted:

A lot of modern (and probably a lot of older) games have a real problem with story pacing. It doesn't matter for most people who just run to the nearest living thing and kill it, but if you're trying to pay attention to the narrative it's pretty bad. I enjoy survival mods partly for this reason. Having to stop and take breaks from the action and explore towns/shelters a bit gives me more believable reason to work in some down time and see things I might not otherwise.

I've been trying to avoid most info, but has if been confirmed if you can keep playing after the main storyline?

You can!

Which kind of has implications about how many ways the story can end, now that I think about it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

You must finally pay the piper for your made-up names, ain't nobody got time for programming poo poo like La-a in there.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You must finally pay the piper for your made-up names, ain't nobody got time for programming poo poo like La-a in there.

I cringe so hard when I hear people start to talk about silly names they totally encountered in real life because I know it's only a matter of time before someone flops out an urban legend classic like La-a or Orangelo or Shithead or whatever

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Deified Data posted:

You can!

Which kind of has implications about how many ways the story can end, now that I think about it.

It means you don't die at the end and that whatever you save the world from doesn't leave a wake of devastation/change anyways, but it doesn't write them into too much of a corner.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Yea the more I think about this the more certain I am its going to be a major thorn in my side the entire time I play this game. My go-to stories in New Vegas were that the gunshot to the head gave me amnesia or that I had this Counte of Monte Cristo type plan that I had to enact before I could properly take my revenge. A son being kidnapped is a little more urgent than something like revenge, this may be tougher.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

It means you don't die at the end and that whatever you save the world from doesn't leave a wake of devastation/change anyways, but it doesn't write them into too much of a corner.

I was thinking about the kid, in particular. Logic dictates that you find your kid, take them somewhere safe and be there parent instead of continuing to roam the wastes, which is exactly what you'll be doing when you play past the "ending". It either means the kid gets removed somehow (hopefully) or the game treats the "emotional core" of the narrative like the gimmicks kids were in Skyrim and lets you leave them in your home unsupervised for months on end (probably).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bae Ruth

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I was thinking about the kid, in particular. Logic dictates that you find your kid, take them somewhere safe and be there parent instead of continuing to roam the wastes, which is exactly what you'll be doing when you play past the "ending". It either means the kid gets removed somehow (hopefully) or the game treats the "emotional core" of the narrative like the gimmicks kids were in Skyrim and lets you leave them in your home unsupervised for months on end (probably).

Hey I always gave my kids knives. They could take care of themselves.

igaf what my pretend kid is doing. I just want to shoot a super mutant in the balls with a toy car.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You take that kid, hand em a BB gun, and point at a rad roach. The game fades to black. The kid is 200 years old.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jon Jones, black unarmed combat master

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
I mean to be fair you last saw the kid as a baby so you didn't really have much time to get attached to it, right?

You could play it like Liam Neeson FO3 dad and just sort of do your own thing. Kid'll be fine, there's more important things to handle out in the wastes.

Dandywalken posted:

You take that kid, hand em a BB gun, and point at a rad roach. The game fades to black. The kid is 200 years old.

Exactly.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

I mean to be fair you last saw the kid as a baby so you didn't really have much time to get attached to it, right?

You could play it like Liam Neeson FO3 dad and just sort of do your own thing. Kid'll be fine, there's more important things to handle out in the wastes.

Exactly.

That's how I'd play it, sure, but I have little doubt your character will be unable to shut up about it.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

What does that list of names do?
Are they the names that get spoken by characters you speak to? I heard that was a thing. I picked a name from that list and no one has said it yet so far.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Brick Shipment posted:

What does that list of names do?
Are they the names that get spoken by characters you speak to? I heard that was a thing. I picked a name from that list and no one has said it yet so far.

Those names will be vocalized by one NPC. And possibly more later on that we don't know about but for now exactly one character will use your name.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

This is called larping

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Gonna name my character Sex Plisskin :pervert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kind of wish they'd make a game where you could put male voices on female character, or vice versa. I want to make a science lady and call her Dr Girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Those names will be vocalized by one NPC. And possibly more later on that we don't know about but for now exactly one character will use your name.

Turns out I wasn't paying attention because (very minor early spoiler) Codsworth says it right at the beginning.

I'm not an RP kind of person but I do miss just being able to make up my own character's reactions and motivations.

• Locked thread