Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh good, it looks like they recognized the problem with grouping BRD/MCH with BLM/SMN in the same "ranged DPS" category.

So what catigory are they going into? It be nice if we weren't getting 30 min queue times when I'm playing MCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

So what catigory are they going into? It be nice if we weren't getting 30 min queue times when I'm playing MCH.

That's wholly unrelated :catstare:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I guess you don't like the cloud

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

nuru posted:

That's wholly unrelated :catstare:

My bad, I just remember people talking about diffrent dps catigories getting diffrent queue priority around ROG/NIN release. If I misunderstood then I apologise.

To be honest half the poo poo you lot go on about goes over my head anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I've just been mostly skimming this thread for the last 10 pages or so but what I'm getting is that, among other things, people hate PLD because its DPS potential is very very low. It is, however, the most "pure" tank class. If I were preparing to make myself a tank alt, don't usually play tank classes, am worried about my ability to retain threat, and don't plan on ever doing raids, should I make a PLD? Or is WAR/DRK good enough at keeping threat that even an inexperienced tank should be able to do it in dungeons etc?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

I can't wait to queue into every diadem asking where the butts are at

loquacius posted:

So I've just been mostly skimming this thread for the last 10 pages or so but what I'm getting is that, among other things, people hate PLD because its DPS potential is very very low. It is, however, the most "pure" tank class. If I were preparing to make myself a tank alt, don't usually play tank classes, am worried about my ability to retain threat, and don't plan on ever doing raids, should I make a PLD? Or is WAR/DRK good enough at keeping threat that even an inexperienced tank should be able to do it in dungeons etc?

The problem is that people actually LIKE Paladin, but the class itself doesn't excel at anything other than having a lot of defensive capabilities right now. WAR and DRK do almost everything it can do if not everything better. That being said if you don't ever plan on doing raids don't worry about it too much. The complaints about PLD are mostly relevant to end-game and raiding. Outside of those contexts PLD is fine, WAR and DRK are just better.

Play what you like.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 9, 2015

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

loquacius posted:

PLD actually has the hardest time keeping threat, because of their low damage output. They're the best at getting hit and living through it, but you don't really need their extra defense for anything in the game.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

loquacius posted:

PLD isn't any better at tanking AND sucks at DPS which is what the problem is. It is also bad at holding threat. WAR/DRK are better at tanking and more fun to play as well. Unless you're REALLY attached to the sword-n-board asthetic, don't bother leveling GLA past provoke at this juncture.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Samba De Amigo posted:

I can't wait to queue into every diadem asking where the butts are at
Yo ... where they at, though?

/mdance

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loquacius posted:

Paladin has the most trouble holding hate of the three classes. Warrior and Dark both can grab and lockdown hate with very little difficulty.

Either way, all three tanks are absolutely viable for all content in the game. There is no specific piece of content that any one of the three cannot do. So play them all and find whatever you like best and just stick with it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Paladins are terrible companions in any content where you want to do AOE DPS

flash does zero damage

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

Don't make an alt.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Noted, thanks guys :)

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't make an alt.

Yeah we've been way over this a while ago, "alt" in this case means the same character in a different job

I even got the limit-one-character subscription

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'd suggest that you wait until you unlock Heavensward and give Dark Knight a shot. You'll start at level 30 with your tanking stance unlocked which means you'll take less damage and hold threat easier. The big issue with Paladin I find that makes it hard at the make-or-break point of Brayflox's Longstop is you don't get your tanking stance until level 40, making it hard to hold threat unless you spam flash constantly.

Plus Dark Knight is baller as hell.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I base tanking classes off of how good their job story is, which PLD still loses very easily.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Well you can only get one Void Ark piece per week, while they're removing the cap on Alex gear so you can theoretically get the gear much faster assuming you can consistently win rolls against 7 other people because there's no longer any reason not to roll need on everything every time

Gear is still locked by class though right and whether the person already has one in the inventory? So it'll more likely than not you'll be competing with just another dude, maybe less.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I can't decide what I want to do when servers are up, void ark, thordian, exploratory voyages :ohdear:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

loquacius posted:

I've only leveled up Marauder to 20 (I will get it to 26 for mercy stroke and that will probably be it) so I can't comment on that too much but I have PLD and DRK at 60. DRK is just more fun on every level for me, because 1. It holds hate way better, 2. The abilities look cooler, 3. Higher DPS. PLD has nice defensive cooldowns and slightly higher defense because of the shield but that's about it over DRK.

One of the main things I like about DRK is you find yourself using the DPS combos more often and not worrying about losing hate. There's a lot more thought into what you should do next as opposed to PLD which is a predictable rage of halone combo, goring blade combo, then royal authority combo (or probably another halone combo because you're losing hate fast) and repeat.

PLD has nice utility in specific fights, but overall I just think DRK is a more fun class.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Boten Anna posted:

I can't decide what I want to do when servers are up, void ark, thordian, exploratory voyages :ohdear:

Come do totally not Dynamis forever!

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

I will forever be disappointed that characters in-game never refer you to the Sea of Butts now.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Lant posted:

Come do totally not Dynamis forever!
Well, until we see them in action, we don't really know if you can send dudes out on airship adventures back to back forever and ever.

Big Ol' Edit: I still want to go out and do airship adventures forever and ever.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Gear is still locked by class though right and whether the person already has one in the inventory? So it'll more likely than not you'll be competing with just another dude, maybe less.

Not in Alex, because you get tokens instead of gear, so every class can roll and you can hold as many as will fit in your inventory

I mean, it doesn't really matter since it's all irrelevant gear now anyway, but it will make farming for alts outside of premade groups with loot agreements a huge pain in the rear end

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Not in Alex, because you get tokens instead of gear, so every class can roll and you can hold as many as will fit in your inventory

I mean, it doesn't really matter since it's all irrelevant gear now anyway, but it will make farming for alts outside of premade groups with loot agreements a huge pain in the rear end
But any DF'd Alex group has been like that for a while, though. I'm not going to make some high-falutin statement that everyone had completely decked out their main job by week whatever, but most DF'd Alex runs are already a free-for-all. People have been running it every week since release regardless of whether they needed x part to y job.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

You need mission fuel for going on the voyages, you can only go once every two hours, your airship use has a 20 minute cooldown. So I can only cram 32 goons per 20 minutes into the trashcans.

Assuming the ships don't remain "in use" while someone is on mission

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

You need mission fuel for going on the voyages, you can only go once every two hours, your airship use has a 20 minute cooldown. So I can only cram 32 goons per 20 minutes into the trashcans.

Send everyone to the diadem and leave them there forever

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd like to be on the maiden voyage of the Goonfleet.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I've only leveled up Marauder to 20 (I will get it to 26 for mercy stroke and that will probably be it) so I can't comment on that too much but I have PLD and DRK at 60. DRK is just more fun on every level for me, because 1. It holds hate way better, 2. The abilities look cooler, 3. Higher DPS. PLD has nice defensive cooldowns and slightly higher defense because of the shield but that's about it over DRK.

One of the main things I like about DRK is you find yourself using the DPS combos more often and not worrying about losing hate. There's a lot more thought into what you should do next as opposed to PLD which is a predictable rage of halone combo, goring blade combo, then royal authority combo (or probably another halone combo because you're losing hate fast) and repeat.

PLD has nice utility in specific fights, but overall I just think DRK is a more fun class.

Marauder is good, Warrior is great, and post-50 warrior is goddamned amazing. Like you're kind of comparing classes you have at 60 (or at least, started at 30) with something you refuse to even get to the jobstone for. Fair enough if it doesn't interest you enough to level, but you have to at least *try* to wreck poo poo with chainsaws while main tanking before you can compare it to the other tanks with any authority.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Marauder is good, Warrior is great, and post-50 warrior is goddamned amazing. Like you're kind of comparing classes you have at 60 (or at least, started at 30) with something you refuse to even get to the jobstone for. Fair enough if it doesn't interest you enough to level, but you have to at least *try* to wreck poo poo with chainsaws while main tanking before you can compare it to the other tanks with any authority.

<Fell Cleave>

But really all of this is true. Warrior is the best class, Just roll 5 Warriors for all content.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

LordNat posted:

<Fell Cleave>

But really all of this is true. Warrior is the best class, Just roll 5 Warriors for all content.

warrior.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vs7AVPLjBY

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Ya that more or less sums up how it feels to play a Warrior.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
BRB, solofarming cragdad pony. (Seriously, un-cleanly stacked Weight is the bane of my existence.)

Edit: gently caress, forgot the servers are down for another 12 hours.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

BRB, solofarming cragdad pony. (Seriously, un-cleanly stacked Weight is the bane of my existence.)

Edit: gently caress, forgot the servers are down for another 12 hours.

Cragdad's not too bad unsync'd. Just spread out and loving eat a plume. Still got to deal with landslides, jails, and stomp knockback (and adds and their puddles), but the simple option of beating able to eat plumes and bombs works wonders for getting people through the fight alive. In the day, I saw way more deaths to slow plume dodging than I did to slow landslide dodging (even if the former is recoverable).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Vil posted:

Cragdad's not too bad unsync'd. Just spread out and loving eat a plume. Still got to deal with landslides, jails, and stomp knockback (and adds and their puddles), but the simple option of beating able to eat plumes and bombs works wonders for getting people through the fight alive. In the day, I saw way more deaths to slow plume dodging than I did to slow landslide dodging (even if the former is recoverable).

Titan and Shiva are the most fun pony farms (Garuda deserves honorable mention for being piss easy) but gently caress that stingy rear end fish motherfucker Leviathan and his tedious-rear end fight and broken droprate.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

Titan and Shiva are the most fun pony farms (Garuda deserves honorable mention for being piss easy) but gently caress that stingy rear end fish motherfucker Leviathan and his tedious-rear end fight and broken droprate.

Farming Leviathan is painful. Most parties are synced because DPS don't know how to stop pressing their buttons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ahah! The cause of the loss of Miqote butts revealed!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah, I am comparing my level 60 classes that I have, which is why I gave the disclaimer that I couldn't comment on MRD/WAR. I would love to have WAR at 60, but I already have two tanking classes there, and it feels like the effort to level another tank class to 60 isn't time well spent especially since I only have 1 DPS class at 60 (SMN, which I only mainly got by leveling SCH). I'd like to have 2 tank classes, 2 healer classes, then 1 caster DPS, 1 support DPS and 1 melee DPS. After I get those, I'll probably go for more classes in terms of interest.

Leveling alt classes is getting easier in 3.1 since they're adding more experience to Heavensward dungeons, at least.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

All I ever want is Leviathan's GLD sword to finish a Leviknight glamor thing. I got the pony four instances in back in 2.5 but all the way up to farming him last night I still have not seen the sword once. Now monk petas on the other hand dropped four times yesterday :smithicide: (also gently caress mirrors too)

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010
I farmed Leviathan EX for roughly four hours a day for five days starting this past Tuesday and ending Saturday watching everyone get dumb horse but me until Saturday.

I got glowy Leviathan weapons for every mage class and started passing on mirrors by like Thursday. I dunno how many people I saw get horse on first or second attempt but sometimes probability just hates you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Railgun posted:

I farmed Leviathan EX for roughly four hours a day for five days starting this past Tuesday and ending Saturday watching everyone get dumb horse but me until Saturday.

I got glowy Leviathan weapons for every mage class and started passing on mirrors by like Thursday. I dunno how many people I saw get horse on first or second attempt but sometimes probability just hates you.

I did roughly 40 Leviathan EX a few months ago trying to get the DRK sword for glamour. It never dropped once and I rolled Enbarr on like my 3rd or 4th run. :negative:

• Locked thread