Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

30.5 Days posted:

There was no wedge issue here, though, just a general sense that businessmen make good governors.
It's an example of the outsider v. establishment narrative. It's a form of the populist and, currently, predominantly Republican anti-intelligencia wedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

maybe i'm just not progressive enough but i can't feel bad for people that vote for people that slash the benefits of others and then get their own benefits slashed

most of those people are aware on some level of what they're voting for. they're just so consumed by bile and hatred that they'd rather see it all burn including themselves than let other people benefit at all. they made their bed, now they can sleep in it

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

maybe i'm just not progressive enough but i can't feel bad for people that vote for people that slash the benefits of others and then get their own benefits slashed

It's about not being excited about their suffering and being a smug goony-goon about it.

"Ha! I can't wait for these idiots to die because they're not as 'educated' as I am about the issues!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

most of those people are aware on some level of what they're voting for. they're just so consumed by bile and hatred that they'd rather see it all burn including themselves than let other people benefit at all. they made their bed, now they can sleep in it

How's the old joke go? America should invade the South, install a functioning government, rebuild the country. We'd be greeted as liberators.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That nihilism is why white baby boomers are dying in droves from suicide and drug and alcohol abuse.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Of course, but this is a guy who voted for a guy who was literally campaigning on taking his healthcare away and now he's surprised he's taking his healthcare away. How much sympathy am I supposed to have here? Of course I'd like for someone to step in and ensure he doesn't die on the street, but it never even had to come to that and even if that does happen, I'm sure it will be "oh Bevin's not such a bad guy as I thought, I'll keep voting R in future"

If the identity politics that he voted for ends up killing him, he wouldn't be the first.

It's bad when people die pointlessly, even dumb people

Maybe even especially dumb people

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If voting against your own self-interest is a capital offense, doesn't that make all votes that aren't for full communists a capital offense?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

30.5 Days posted:

That nihilism is why white baby boomers are dying in droves from suicide and drug and alcohol abuse.

oh hello there dude who doesn't know who Baby Boomers are. can you get this take hotter?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zelder posted:

Everyone's got a purpose in life. Maybe his is to serve as an object lesson to others.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Everblight posted:

Everyone's got a purpose in life. Maybe his is to serve as an object lesson to others.

Actually I think you will find that life is pointless and death is certain

Hail Satan trump 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

They don't seem to be the only people consumed by bile and hatred. I don't think bad decisions should lead to destitution and death. Not even voting R, or being gerrymandered into having R-dominated districts.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
What do you call it when someone isn't just ignorant, but is aggressively averse to absorbing factual knowledge, to the point that they literally "reject your reality and replace it with their own"?

Is there a term for that?

(Being a Christian. Being a Republican. Blah blah I got the obvious witty responses out of the way for you)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

If voting against your own self-interest is a capital offense, doesn't that make all votes that aren't for full communists a capital offense?

As compelling as this slippery slope is, we are, again, talking about a guy who couldn't be bothered to make a quick scan of the candidates' websites to see what they were for, when that was a question of life or death, not someone with regular dumb opinions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In election news

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zelder posted:

Maybe even especially dumb people

I don't like it at all, but the problem here is that he voted for this to happen to himself just like untold thousands of others. Anything you do to address this that ignores the fact that they voted to die isn't going to be an effective policy. He wasn't gerrymandered or coerced.

If the dude wants to do something about it he still can. He's not a helpless pawn.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

zoux posted:

In election news
Well that is Baby Hitler after all, now if you were talking about Fetus Hitler...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like I don't think Darwin award winners "should" have died, but that doesn't change the entertainment value at all

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Has Bill Maher been hootin' and hollerin' since the Kentucky vote? That guy is pretty un-classy, and likely agrees there is some entertainment value in a voter who was tired of state-Democrats, voted for a state-Republican and was greeted not with the 10 commandments in front of the governor's mansion, but with the potential end of his health insurance coverage.

Bill Maher is horrible.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 9, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

JT Jag posted:

What do you call it when someone isn't just ignorant, but is aggressively averse to absorbing factual knowledge, to the point that they literally "reject your reality and replace it with their own"?

Is there a term for that?

(Being a Christian. Being a Republican. Blah blah I got the obvious witty responses out of the way for you)

You might be thinking of the backfire effect, where facts opposite to one's incorrect beliefs actually strengthen those incorrect beliefs.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Everblight posted:

drat, thats a cold rear end honkey

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Everblight posted:

What is wrong with you.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They don't seem to be the only people consumed by bile and hatred. I don't think bad decisions should lead to destitution and death. Not even voting R, or being gerrymandered into having R-dominated districts.

i don't think so either

if you believe that bad decisions should lead to destitution and death, however, and you make a bad decision that will eventually bankrupt and/or kill you, i don't think you deserve any sympathy

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Joementum posted:

I understand why that statement is incorrect (and you cut off the part of his quote where he predicted it would be incorrect), but no, poor phrasing is not a firing offense.

Saying I'm about to say something dumb wasn't really relevant to what he said. Also what do you think he was trying to poorly phrase besides some form of racist bootstraps?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You might be thinking of the backfire effect, where facts opposite to one's incorrect beliefs actually strengthen those incorrect beliefs.

All I'm thinking is Ben Carson right now, am I wrong?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

a lot of these people believe some bearded hobo and his "golden rule" about treating people how you'd like to be treated

i respect their beliefs when they want people to die for making mistakes and then they make mistakes they should be allowed to follow their own beliefs and be allowed to die painfully, destitute, and without health insurance

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Whitey done hung he dumbass self lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

a lot of these people believe some bearded hobo and his "golden rule" about treating people how you'd like to be treated

i respect their beliefs when they want people to die for making mistakes and then they make mistakes they should be allowed to follow their own beliefs and be allowed to die painfully, destitute, and without health insurance

Oh so you're a libertarian?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Veskit posted:

Saying I'm about to say something dumb wasn't really relevant to what he said. Also what do you think he was trying to poorly phrase besides some form of racist bootstraps?

That the students had a legitimate grievance because systemic oppression creates an environment where they don't have an equal opportunity to succeed. That's, broadly, the fundamental liberal belief about race and the reason for programs like affirmative action, to offer a corrective.

His mistake in phrasing was to say "you believe", which implies he doesn't agree.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I'm saying it's the reality, that the Republican electorate got exactly what it wished for, and this is the result. Whether it's good or it's bad, you can't blame that outcome on anyone other than the people who wished for and implemented it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

i don't think so either

if you believe that bad decisions should lead to destitution and death, however, and you make a bad decision that will eventually bankrupt and/or kill you, i don't think you deserve any sympathy

See, I can't stop myself from having sympathy for these people, even if it would be consistent were I to take upon myself their views. Perhaps my empathy is more limited than yours.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh so you're a libertarian?

you should practice what you preach, tbh

i drink a shot of fracking runoff every morning to determine if the invisible hand of the free market believes i am still worthy of this mortal coil

Absurd Alhazred posted:

See, I can't stop myself from having sympathy for these people, even if it would be consistent were I to take upon myself their views. Perhaps my empathy is more limited than yours.

you should be more tolerant wrt proper christian beliefs of "gently caress you, got mine" and "i will actively burn down the safety net so i can rule over the ashes"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Joementum posted:

That the students had a legitimate grievance because systemic oppression creates an environment where they don't have an equal opportunity to succeed. That's, broadly, the fundamental liberal belief about race and the reason for programs like affirmative action, to offer a corrective.

His mistake in phrasing was to say "you believe", which implies he doesn't agree.

he would have been just as big of a piece of poo poo if he said "I believe that" I'm legitimately confused where you're going with "what he meant to say". Can you just write it?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Duality of Man.

1. That poor guy has all my sympathy and I hope there are people in positions that can change things to save his life.

Also.

2. LOL the dumb bastard killed himself. Haha.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

In election news

What about braindead-on-life-support Hitler?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nonsense posted:

All I'm thinking is Ben Carson right now, am I wrong?

And Trump, to an extent. And definitely not Jeb!.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Veskit posted:

he would have been just as big of a piece of poo poo if he said "I believe that" I'm legitimately confused where you're going with "what he meant to say". Can you just write it?

I tried to in the post you quoted. I'm not certain how else to put it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's up to the Lord I'm afraid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Man, and just when I thought I had the "Hot Take of the Day" sewn up with that "object lesson" jape.... :holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Joementum posted:

I tried to in the post you quoted. I'm not certain how else to put it.

At the end of the day a college president doesn't believe in systematic racism, but that black people aren't rising to the opportunities given to them. Then not only did he believe it in his heart, he said it to students as a means of inspiration.

You should be fired for that.

• Locked thread