Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

CerealCrunch posted:

Bloody Marys

Look at you weirdos making Caesars wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Antioch posted:

That stuff has been around forever and I'm still amazed that it ever existed, let alone still exists. :barf:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

canyoneer posted:

Who buys or drinks V8 anyway? I needed some for a soup base, and a 6 pack (smallest quantity available!) was $7. A giant quart can of the store brand stuff was like $1.50.

For some reason they still always offer it on planes :shrug:

Because it legit tastes better at 30'000

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antioch posted:

If you want to make a Bloody Caesar, dump some actual clam juice in some actual tomato juice and mix it up, because high fructose corn syrup shouldn't be a principal ingredient in a cocktail.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is why I stick to whiskey and rum based drinks. All that sounds gross.

Thing is V8 is advertised as a healthy alternative to pop and juice and milk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

twistedmentat posted:

This is why I stick to whiskey and rum based drinks. All that sounds gross.

Thing is V8 is advertised as a healthy alternative to pop and juice and milk.

1/10 the sugar of juice, 10x the sodium.

vOv. That's why "healthy" is a bullshit marketing category.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommonShore posted:

1/10 the sugar of juice, 10x the sodium.

Unless you have high blood pressure, there's nothing wrong with sodium.

quote:

This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous.

Scientific tools have become much more precise since then, but the correlation between salt intake and poor health has remained tenuous. Intersalt, a large study published in 1988, compared sodium intake with blood pressure in subjects from 52 international research centers and found no relationship between sodium intake and the prevalence of hypertension. In fact, the population that ate the most salt, about 14 grams a day, had a lower median blood pressure than the population that ate the least, about 7.2 grams a day. In 2004 the Cochrane Collaboration, an international, independent, not-for-profit health care research organization funded in part by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, published a review of 11 salt-reduction trials. Over the long-term, low-salt diets, compared to normal diets, decreased systolic blood pressure (the top number in the blood pressure ratio) in healthy people by 1.1 millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) by 0.6 mmHg. That is like going from 120/80 to 119/79. The review concluded that "intensive interventions, unsuited to primary care or population prevention programs, provide only minimal reductions in blood pressure during long-term trials." A 2003 Cochrane review of 57 shorter-term trials similarly concluded that "there is little evidence for long-term benefit from reducing salt intake."

But drinking whiskey is still an excellent idea.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Phanatic posted:

nothing wrong with sodium

:slick: ♫ Then 'scuse me while I drink this entire glass of saaaalt ♫ :slick:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, where do you live? Canada? :canada:
Australian cigarete law packing requirements. Basically no branding and slathered with morbid examples of how you will die. The tobacco companies are having a complete fit over this. The irony is you can still buy branded holders to put your cigs in.

We had all sorts of commercials like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfYWAcRIviw

Plus others with diseased organs being shown off.

Of course every kid in the 90's no doubt loved these gloriously un-PC lollies:

And that's on the low-end of candy cigarettes, others would come with authentic branding. Some had powered sugar in them that you could blow out as "smoke". They slowly got pulled as studies were coming out to show they made smoking look completely harmless

Nowdays they're still sold,with look-alike-branding, but most are called "candy sticks".

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

Bryan convinced one of my friends to (attempt to) quit. so there's that..

The smokers in my family are convinced by some BS facebook urban legend thing that 'Bryan' was actually an AIDS patient. Smoking does not cause cancer you see, also marijuana cures everything.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Karma Monkey posted:

That stuff has been around forever and I'm still amazed that it ever existed, let alone still exists. :barf:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Why is that a thing? :gonk:

AugustusLove
Mar 27, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

My Mexican mom loves this stuff. I do not understand. It seems popular south near the border.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

WebDog posted:

Australian cigarete law packing requirements. Basically no branding and slathered with morbid examples of how you will die. The tobacco companies are having a complete fit over this.

They actually sued the government over it. Restricting free trade, trademark issues etc.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Time spent mixing beer, V8 and clam juice together is time spent not being drunk.

IIRC Jack Daniels similarly tried to market a premixed "Jack Cola" that was pretty dire.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

They actually sued the government over it. Restricting free trade, trademark issues etc.

Oh yeah. They alleged that Australia's government violated trade agreements by destroying their assets. The assets being their brands. I think John Oliver did a piece about it, but the BBC covered it on their radio show Analysis as well:
Company vs Country

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC Jack Daniels similarly tried to market a premixed "Jack Cola" that was pretty dire.
Pre-mixed cans and bottles of Jack and Jim (the mainstream burbon brands here) are pretty much the rage here in Australia - much to the amusement of visiting Americans who apparently have never seen such a thing. I've gathered it's a bit different in America as a litre of the stuff is really cheap (1L is around $50 here vs something like $22 for 1.75L over there) and you simply bring soft drink to mix.

Jack Daniel's "dumb move" in Australia was to drop their premix alcohol content from 6% to 5% which saw backlash as loyal buyers moved to other brands that kept up the alcohol content. Jacks got the hint and you now can get a "double jacks" version which has 6.9%. Which still costs $25 for 4 375ml cans.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I remember when it was 7%, it could have been 8% but that might have been beam black. I also remember when they were only $3-4 ea, and the choice of drink at coffin cheaters affiliated clubs and bindoon rock especially. (Jacks that is - BTW jacks isn't a bourbon and they stole the label off evan williams - jacks started as a cheap knock off "not-bourbon" but looks the same)

C.M. Kruger posted:

Time spent mixing beer, V8 and clam juice together is time spent not being drunk.

Heaps of bourbon, rum, vodka, gin, whiskey and whisky brands have their own spirit and cola or dry in Australia.
It all started back in the 70s with a company called UDL, that sold generic scotch, whiskey, gin, rum vodka etc premixed in a can, so many name brands do it here as well to compete for that market share. They call it "ready to drink" and being pop flavoured, are heavily heavily taxed so kids don't drink them.
E: the fact that these exist, used to be cheap and high in alcohol, is probably why malt liquor doesn't exist here.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Nov 10, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

But why would you do that if you're not already drunk?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I know I may come off as an alcoholic, but even the 6% sends crazy low to me. I'm assuming Jack in Oz is still the usual 40% abv, when people order single-ingredient mixed drinks are they really expecting a 7:1 ratio of coke/etc? That's less than a single shot per cup. Sure that's a sensible range for beer, but whenever I think of liquor being involved I figure it's because the effect is supposed to be a bit larger

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

I know I may come off as an alcoholic

/

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

I know I may come off as an alcoholic, but even the 6% sends crazy low to me. I'm assuming Jack in Oz is still the usual 40%.
It depends on what kind - the loose rule is the more premium the more alcohol content - it becomes a bit of a selling point. It goes from 37% to 50% depending on what blend you get. Old Number 7 costs $50 for a litre so there's this image of it being a premium drink when in a bottle, but bogan food when it's in cans.

At the bar it's not much cheaper, a mixed shot will set you back $8+. Almost every spirit is mixed with something in Australia.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WebDog posted:

Of course every kid in the 90's no doubt loved these gloriously un-PC lollies:

And that's on the low-end of candy cigarettes, others would come with authentic branding. Some had powered sugar in them that you could blow out as "smoke". They slowly got pulled as studies were coming out to show they made smoking look completely harmless

Nowdays they're still sold,with look-alike-branding, but most are called "candy sticks".

When I was a kid (in the 80s) I remember two different kinds of candy cigarettes. There were ones that were just candy sticks that were kind of colored like cigarettes and ones that were gum in paper wrappers made up to look like cigarettes. They were the ones with the sugar dust in them that you could blow out.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mexican side of the family goes crazy for this.

If they don't have that, they'll go buy orange juice and make their own, no joke. They dip their pork rinds in it too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

When I was a kid (in the 80s) I remember two different kinds of candy cigarettes. There were ones that were just candy sticks that were kind of colored like cigarettes and ones that were gum in paper wrappers made up to look like cigarettes. They were the ones with the sugar dust in them that you could blow out.

Then once all the "smoke" was gone, you'd try to unwrap the gum, realize half the paper won't come off, and resign yourself to chewing the paper, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fo3 posted:

It all started back in the 70s with a company called UDL, that sold generic scotch, whiskey, gin, rum vodka etc premixed in a can, so many name brands do it here as well to compete for that market share. They call it "ready to drink" and being pop flavoured, are heavily heavily taxed so kids don't drink them.
E: the fact that these exist, used to be cheap and high in alcohol, is probably why malt liquor doesn't exist here.
About a year or so ago, I discovered that my favorite drink is the gin & tonic. I recently tried a bottled Beefeater G&T in Japan that was by far the best G&T I'd ever had. I need to either step up my game or find something similar here. I can't even taste-test the bottled one for comparison as I try to adjust my own homemade cocktails to match.

I think all we have in the States (or the upper Midwest, anyway) are wine coolers and hard lemonade, though. :(

muscles like this? posted:

One kid had even fancier "smoke" ones in my class--probably in '83 or '84--and I don't think I ever saw that kind again. There was nothing edible about them: just paper and "smoke". I remember being impressed at how realistic it looked, and also that the paper filling inside the faux cigarette had Chinese writing all over it. These things weren't even pretending that kids liked them for the candy or gum inside.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I worked in bars in Canada it wasn't unusual for people to order beer with a side of clam.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

*Good* micheladas are really tasty and one of the best hangover cures known to man.

A Budweiser michelada is a thing for the same reason Budweiser anything is a thing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Doc Morbid posted:

In KISS's heyday, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were the guys who did all the drugs and threw the TVs out of hotel room windows and stuff like that. Paul and especially Gene Simmons (who loves to tell everyone how he's never tried drugs, alcohol or tobacco and is therefore a better person than you) stayed away from that kind of thing and just hosed a bunch of groupies like responsible adults.

I loved the part in The Heroin Diaries where Nikki Sixx (of Mötley Crüe, famous for doing all of the loving drugs ever and literally dying of a heroin OD and somehow coming back) is absolutely perplexed by Simmons's refusal to drink or do drugs at a party.

"No drugs or alcohol? So what do you do, then?"

"I gently caress."

"Well what do you do when you get done loving?"

"I gently caress some more."

I'm on vacation in southeast Texas and I can tell you two things:

1) These are absolutely disgusting

2) These are absolutely inescapable; I bet even the local Goodwill sells them

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sentient Data posted:

I know I may come off as an alcoholic, but even the 6% sends crazy low to me. I'm assuming Jack in Oz is still the usual 40% abv, when people order single-ingredient mixed drinks are they really expecting a 7:1 ratio of coke/etc? That's less than a single shot per cup. Sure that's a sensible range for beer, but whenever I think of liquor being involved I figure it's because the effect is supposed to be a bit larger
It's so you can drink them like beer.

Hirayuki posted:

About a year or so ago, I discovered that my favorite drink is the gin & tonic. I recently tried a bottled Beefeater G&T in Japan that was by far the best G&T I'd ever had. I need to either step up my game or find something similar here. I can't even taste-test the bottled one for comparison as I try to adjust my own homemade cocktails to match.
Gin and tonic is another thing that comes in cans in Australia, in case you think the taste of aluminium might improve the flavour.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can anyone explain the "Starbucks Cups" thing? Is it some retarded bullshit :downswords: "Urban Liberals War on Christmas" thing?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yep.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What is the actual deal with the cups, then? What did they add/remove?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I believe they had some lightly festive designs on a red cup, and now they're just red.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Every year Starbucks has Christmas-y cups. This year, the cups are just red without any other Christmas-y imagery on them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hah

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

And nobody gives a poo poo except for a very isolated population of twitter idiots.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Previous years had things like snowflakes and snowmen but now it's just a plain red cup. I'm pretty sure it's only a very small number of people doing the complaining though, because even all the extreme Christian people who throw a fit about TAKING THE CHRIST FROM ARE LIFES all the time are rolling their eyes at this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Who buys or drinks V8 anyway? I needed some for a soup base, and a 6 pack (smallest quantity available!) was $7. A giant quart can of the store brand stuff was like $1.50.

For some reason they still always offer it on planes :shrug:

I drink V-8 all the time, but mostly as a meal replacement type thing but I am slammed with work.

Also, I had no idea booze was so expensive in Australia. Does a lot of moonshining go on down there? If a handle of of rail quality liquor cost $50, it seems like you could make a fortune selling shine even to just friends and family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WebDog posted:

Pre-mixed cans and bottles of Jack and Jim (the mainstream burbon brands here) are pretty much the rage here in Australia - much to the amusement of visiting Americans who apparently have never seen such a thing. I've gathered it's a bit different in America as a litre of the stuff is really cheap (1L is around $50 here vs something like $22 for 1.75L over there) and you simply bring soft drink to mix.

Jack Daniel's "dumb move" in Australia was to drop their premix alcohol content from 6% to 5% which saw backlash as loyal buyers moved to other brands that kept up the alcohol content. Jacks got the hint and you now can get a "double jacks" version which has 6.9%. Which still costs $25 for 4 375ml cans.

I've seen 6-packs of the pre-mixed Jack at the stores, bought it once and thought it tasted pretty lame, and realized I could just buy a handle of Jack and a 2 liter of coke for cheaper. (:911:)

Area alco-pops allowed in Aussie land? I used to get really drunk on Sparks but now caffeine+alcohol is strictly verboten in the states. I don't think they even passed a law, a bunch of senators just called up the beverage companies and strong-armed the gently caress out of them, until they all dropped all their mixed products. The closest you can get now is alcohol + guarana which is just dumb.

Course you can still mix red bull and vodka in your own home :v: Thanks a lot senators.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Nov 10, 2015