Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
It's like Bethesda fans haven't seen Obsidian's latest effort, God's own Pillars of Eternity for how narrative can improve your game, which is itself an improvement on Fallout New Vegas aka. The good Fallout. Dialogue wheels, % checks on a stat that doesn't matter cause writing is poo poo. Why didn't they just make a Minecraft skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

One thing about the dialogue wheel that really annoys me is the fact that you get locked out of topics constantly, when you have 4 choices you might pick one, but the others don't show up again. Instead, the next tree appears, which might have the same problems. I want to ask more than one question goddamnit.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really agree with that at all. It has a lot of subplots dealing with those elements. They're not well-executed as the film by any means but there is a lot more going on with the Synth stuff than there is with your family plot. You could literally remove the family plot from the game and nothing would change. Father being Shaun has no meaningful impact on the game at all and never really ends up being meaningful. If the plot was "you wake up after being frozen and wander around the wasteland" not a single thing that happens would change.

That said FO4 goes all-in on the paranoia and the 'who is a robot' stuff rather than dealing with the humanity of those robots though. You've got the railroad but they're kind of just generically pro-synth by default as opposed to dealing with the ideas behind it. They want to be Blade Runner they're just not very good at it

Not a drat thing about your family matters in the slightest. It's just a tedious wet fart of a plot.

I have to respectfully disagree, but I invite you to introduce any examples.
The entire synth subplot lacks ambiguity or any examination of humanity. Instead, it is a hackneyed metaphor for slavery with the Railroad making it abundantly obvious.

The family main plotline is weak.
However, it is deeply embedded in the storyline. It comes up whenever any NPC asks for the player's motivation. The main villain's contrived plot is motivated by it. Shaun releases and names the player his successor because the player is family.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What's a good alternative to steam to buy a digital copy? I've never used amazon's direct download or greenmangaming, would I still be able to play the game on more than 1 computer without any hassle?

I assume these digital copies don't force you to update to the latest version in order to play (like steam currently does.) Fallout 4 being a game I'm probably going to play with mods at some point, so I'd like to install patches manually instead of having them forced on me.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lester Shy posted:

Is anybody playing this on a dual core CPU? I'm above the minimum requirements on all the other specs, but I've got an i3-3225. GTA 5 is the only other game I've played that required a quad core and it ran fine 95% of the time, but I have no idea which of the two games would be more CPU-heavy.

Almost no games are CPU heavy anymore. Recent i3s are fine

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This is the opposite of my experience on Survival. The AI is over tuned, if anything. I walked into a room and had a raider point blank throw a molotov into my face, and they've all been good about staying in cover. I haven't seen any of the pathing stupidity from the leaks, which is making fighting ghouls pretty difficult.

Are you sneaking?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Seriously though where the hell do I get Radaway or rid myself of this radiation

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if console commands will be available right out of the gate? I'm making myself in-game and want a pair of glasses ASAP.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

How well does it actually run and what are your specs? I'm still deciding on which system to buy on since I'm stuck on a several year old midrange laptop.

An old i5 and a GTX 670 and the game runs smooth. I spent some time tuning the settings (godrays, etc.), but it seems like the minimum/recommended specs kinda.. mean nothing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
alright so as far as first impressions go: graphics are better than i expected, dialogue & voice acting are way, way worse. the map is much better than F3 though, which is nice. there are a lot of dialogue glitches which will likely be patched out in the coming week or so. the game is nowhere near as good as NV, but i'm having fun putting turrets on buildings to protect my settlements, so all in all i'm pretty okay with it so far.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
settlements are, at first glance, way more fun than i expected.

stack up some metal sheet walls and hey i've just turned Sanctuary into TWD's Alexandria.

Sanctum posted:

What's a good alternative to steam to buy a digital copy?

it's steam-only for PC. buying from another outlet will just get you a steam key.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

Anyone know if console commands will be available right out of the gate? I'm making myself in-game and want a pair of glasses ASAP.

there are glasses literally in the tutorial.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Meowbot posted:

last night during extra life giant bomb was donating a bunch of things and people were giving out steam keys, someone said they had a fallout 4 steam key and firstr person to send them a PM woould get a copy. I sent them a PM and they responded to hold on a minute and then I never got anything and messaged them back a few hours later and they said they replied to me and then said oh man im sorry someone else sent a PM after you and I hit reply on theres with the key and not you. He sent me the code but when I tried to redeem it was already taken (of course)

Is there anyway to contact steam and ask them to relinquish that code back to me? The person doing the give away said they were sorry but couldnt afford another copy. Im super bummed because I lost my job and cant afford the game and it was like my one chance to get it for months when I can start getting some income somehow in the future

oh yeah dude just contact steam support and say "please steal this game from another account and provide it to me because of an internet contest", works every time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

An old i5 and a GTX 670 and the game runs smooth. I spent some time tuning the settings (godrays, etc.), but it seems like the minimum/recommended specs kinda.. mean nothing.

Hmm, not sure if I want to risk it then. i7-03639QM and a 640GTM (2 GBs dedicated RAM) plus 12 GB system is risky.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

botany posted:

there are glasses literally in the tutorial.

Cool, thanks. I'm literally a walking pair of glasses so that completes 100% of my wardrobe.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
I have never had a game pre-order arrive early but I guess I have a Pip Boy now. Too bad the game won't unlock for another ~6 hours.

All the posts about performance has me a little worried since my rig is starting to get long in the tooth but as long as it's playable I think I can manage.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

MohShuvuu posted:

My PC is an i7 2600k with a Geforce 970 and it runs amazingly smooth if you turn godrays to low and disable motion blur. I'm also running it at 1440p @144hz. Also make sure your drivers are updated to the latest.

I have a 970 but an i5-4690, this is good to know. I usually turn random stuff I don't care about to medium/low/completely off, which I took into consideration when I built my computer a few months ago. I'm not very picky about everything being on ultra.

I'm not VPN-ing it, so it's time to find something to do for 7 hours I guess!!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This video would have sold me if I wasn't already. Nice.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

yanthrax posted:

I have never had a game pre-order arrive early but I guess I have a Pip Boy now. Too bad the game won't unlock for another ~6 hours.

All the posts about performance has me a little worried since my rig is starting to get long in the tooth but as long as it's playable I think I can manage.

It runs really well on older hardware, I expect med to low but got med to high with max antialising.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I'm really on the fence on whether or not to get Fallout 4. I feel like I should give it a chance, and that I shouldn't try to compare it New Vegas. At the same time, I can't really get that excited about the game. The combat and crafting looks like fun, and I like how they fleshed out Power Armor, and made something more than a piece of equipment you carry around.

At the same time, though, the story doesn't really grab me that much. People are saying that the Blade Runner comparisons aren't really that founded, but the whole synthetic human still seems off to me. I'm not saying you can't have something like that in Fallout (I know it's based off a quest from Fallout 3), but it feels like something that should be in it's own, separate game. The changes to SPECIAL and the dialog system put me off, too. Part of the appeal of the other games is that there were alternate solutions to quests or different dialog options based on what skills you specialized in.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

yanthrax posted:

Who'd you preorder from? I just got shipping notification from Bestbuy. I didn't select overnight shipping but their customer service assured me it would arrive tomorrow, but they tend to be worthless. Have to wait until it shows on UPS's tracking site later to figure out if it is being overnighted or not. Oh the anticipation! :ohdear:

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Geoff Zahn posted:

Who'd you preorder from? I just got shipping notification from Bestbuy. I didn't select overnight shipping but their customer service assured me it would arrive tomorrow. Have to wait until it shows on UPS's tracking site later to figure out if it is being overnighted or not. Oh the anticipation! :ohdear:

Amazon. It shipped out on Friday evening and was sitting in San Pablo until Sunday and was out for delivery this morning at 5AM :iiam:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I figured out a way to fix the FOV... and it's super weird.

Changing either

user\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4.ini
user\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini
SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4_Default.ini
or
SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4\Fallout4Prefs.ini

did absolutely nothing. What did the trick was copying Fallout4.ini over to the Data folder. Now it works. I have no idea why. :shrug:

e:
and the UI is fine. Under [Display] I have:
code:
fDefaultFOV=80
fDefaultWorldFOV=100
fDefault1stPersonFOV=100.0

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 9, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Merry Magpie posted:

Are you sneaking?

I haven't had much success with stealth so far so all of my encounters wind up being gunfights.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Meowbot posted:

when you see light shining through the trees geforce had a really nice article on fallout 4 performacne I was going to link you to that showed all the different settings, but it now says unauthorized access ???

Here's the cached version of the tweak guide: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

The two important takeaways for me are:
- Goodrays are expensive at higher settings, but luckily I don't see much difference between low and ultra on their comparison screens.
- Shadows are expensive too, but unlike in many other games the difference between ultra and high in terms of draw distance and accuracy is actually really huge.

Low godrays and ultra shadows seems to be the way to go.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 10, 2015

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i found my first undocumented feature on literally the first quest

Out of the vault I went to concord, found the minutemen, powered up the power armor, went and killed the deathclaw and the only raider in concord. the quest won't advance. i burned out the power armor exploring every inch of concord and there is nothing left to kill. :bethesda:

the only autosave from before this quest broke is from inside the vault. gently caress yes

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Got home from work, the Melbourne server for vyprvpn is hosed. boo hoo boo

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What the hell with the cash register noise. There has to be a way to turn it off

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

FuzzySlippers posted:

What the hell with the cash register noise. There has to be a way to turn it off

yeah: wait for a mod

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
The cash register noise rules.

Also :wtc: there are super mutants that suicide with nukes now

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm really on the fence on whether or not to get Fallout 4. I feel like I should give it a chance, and that I shouldn't try to compare it New Vegas. At the same time, I can't really get that excited about the game. The combat and crafting looks like fun, and I like how they fleshed out Power Armor, and made something more than a piece of equipment you carry around.

At the same time, though, the story doesn't really grab me that much. People are saying that the Blade Runner comparisons aren't really that founded, but the whole synthetic human still seems off to me. I'm not saying you can't have something like that in Fallout (I know it's based off a quest from Fallout 3), but it feels like something that should be in it's own, separate game. The changes to SPECIAL and the dialog system put me off, too. Part of the appeal of the other games is that there were alternate solutions to quests or different dialog options based on what skills you specialized in.

Wait on a price drop and pick it up on PC deeply discounted. Game won't ever be better but it will be cheaper

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Alright how do I get rid of the lovely cash register noise? I'm getting sick of this poo poo already.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

conversation piece posted:

The cash register noise rules.

Also :wtc: there are super mutants that suicide with nukes now

needs a tower defense dlc now

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I haven't had much success with stealth so far so all of my encounters wind up being gunfights.

The AI's stupidity is more readily apparent for stealth characters.

If you are having difficulty, I would point out the changes to damage resistance.

Merry Magpie posted:

To be fair, the damage resistance perks are traps.

Unlike Fallout 3, the hard limit on resistances is 1000 rather than 100, so 50 Damage Resistance in Fallout 4 translates to 5% mitigation.
My advice is to focus offense.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is steam tamping down on VPN unlocks? I've region switched to Australia/japan/singapore/New Zealand on both Vypr and Avast VPNs, and it's still telling me I can't play the game.

Edit: Nevermind, restarted VPN connection and now it's unlocking. Weird.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 9, 2015

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How is the PC performance? Will I be able to run this with decent graphics and framerate at 1600x900 in a i5 3570/GTX660/16GB of RAM?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

So is steam tamping down on VPN unlocks? I've region switched to Australia/japan/singapore/New Zealand on both Vypr and Avast VPNs, and it's still telling me I can't play the game.

VPN unlocking works fine. You are doing something wrong.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I'm using HostVPN which was actually advertised on these forums. They don't have an AUS server, but they have a JPN server, and when I go to the steam page from the JPN server it says game will unlock in 2 hours. The German and Netherlands server are both 4 hours.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

It's like Bethesda fans haven't seen Obsidian's latest effort, God's own Pillars of Eternity for how narrative can improve your game, which is itself an improvement on Fallout New Vegas aka. The good Fallout. Dialogue wheels, % checks on a stat that doesn't matter cause writing is poo poo. Why didn't they just make a Minecraft skin?

What are you basing this on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Deified Data posted:

What are you basing this on?

The defence of lovely narrative and characters in this, an RPG.

• Locked thread