Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
PT6A, I like you. Let me help you, ok. Find a spouse in the public sector, with a gold plated benefits package. Settle for nothing less. Enjoy your :airquote: public-private partnership :airquote:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Melian Dialogue posted:

I like portraits of the Queen

I would prefer portraits of Nellie McClung and/or Buffy St.Marie in all public meeting areas to replace the queen.

Margaret Atwood or Alice Munro are also viable options.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

PT6A, I like you. Let me help you, ok. Find a spouse in the public sector, with a gold plated benefits package. Settle for nothing less. Enjoy your :airquote: public-private partnership :airquote:

Good idea.

InfiniteZero posted:

I would prefer portraits of Nellie McClung

Hmm, yes, a supporter of eugenics and sterilization of the "simple-minded" would be a great symbol for national unity!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Hmm, yes, a supporter of eugenics and sterilization of the "simple-minded" would be a great symbol for national unity!

Well gently caress, I had no idea. Can I propose Joni Mitchell as an alternate then? She isn't secretly a nazi or something, right?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Helsing posted:

That's an extremely generous sentiment and offer. I'm cautious about taking on a project like that right now for personal reasons (I'm really busy right now) and because the last few years have made me more self conscious about keeping my real life and my internet life at arm's length. That having been said, if you have a way for me to get in touch with you then we should talk.

Sorry it took so long to respond to this (my own life is pretty busy right now), but I'd definitely like to talk- what's the best way to reach you, since you lack PMs here?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
SO, yeah, our transport planes in Iraq were seized by local authorities on October 28th, accused of supplying weapons to the Kurds.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I can't wait to hear Sun News describe how Trudeau is a weak leader because he let Canadian assets get seized by a foreign country we're ostensibly helping.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Lassitude posted:

I can't wait to hear Sun News describe how Trudeau is a weak leader because he let Canadian assets get seized by a foreign country we're ostensibly helping.

It's very Canadian to just shrug and let it develop without firing a shot. An American Air Force captain would have edit: caused an international incident in defence of his aircraft.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

It's very Canadian to just shrug and let it develop without firing a shot. An American Air Force captain would have edit: caused an international incident in defence of his aircraft.

You would think so but keep history in mind

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

InfiniteZero posted:

Well gently caress, I had no idea. Can I propose Joni Mitchell as an alternate then? She isn't secretly a nazi or something, right?

If this election taught us anything is that people will go to any lengths in the past to find That One Thing a person said or did and use it to shame them.

To that end, replace all portraits in federal buildings with screengrabs of Reboot, Marie Soleil, and The Smoggies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

Tipps posted:

If this election taught us anything is that people will go to any lengths in the past to find That One Thing a person said or did and use it to shame them.

To that end, replace all portraits in federal buildings with screengrabs of Reboot, Marie Soleil, and The Smoggies.

The Smoggies is anti-alberta and pipeline! It condones economic terrorism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tipps posted:

To be fair, I think supporting eugenics and forced sterilization is actually a bad thing worthy of criticism. I acknowledge that McClung did many things that were great and important in addition to that, in fact eclipsing that, but that's a fairly dark stain to try and erase.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

jm20 posted:

You would think so but keep history in mind

That's different though, it's Israel. There's very little they could do which would warrant serious repercussions from the US.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

bunnyofdoom posted:

SO, yeah, our transport planes in Iraq were seized by local authorities on October 28th, accused of supplying weapons to the Kurds.

I know nothing about war but what good reason would we have for shipping a hundred silenced weapons into Iraq?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

vainman posted:

I know nothing about war but what good reason would we have for shipping a hundred silenced weapons into Iraq?

Basically what the article says.

This may or may not be true at all, but Canada's involvement in the war is basically helping the KDP and maybe other Kurdish factions. Canada is not helping the government in Baghdad in really any way. So its entirely possible that silenced weapons are being sent to Canadian forces or the Kurds they're training.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yeah. It's widely acknowledged in some circles (And this may disinformation) that Canada's Special Forces are really good. And it is very likely that they are deployed in Iraq, like they were in Afghanistan and Libya and such, even thought there is no acknowledgement due to opsec reasons.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Huh, shows how little I know. Didn't think our army did much of anything these days.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. It's widely acknowledged in some circles (And this may disinformation) that Canada's Special Forces are really good. And it is very likely that they are deployed in Iraq, like they were in Afghanistan and Libya and such, even thought there is no acknowledgement due to opsec reasons.

You should just say JTF-2, because it's widely known that CSOR is deployed there, and they're a part of our special forces as well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lassitude posted:

You should just say JTF-2, because it's widely known that CSOR is deployed there, and they're a part of our special forces as well.

Widely known, but not acknowledged by the gov IIRC. Which is my point. JTF2 and CSOR were both widely known to be in Afghanistan and Libya, but never officially confirmed. (Well, in Afghanistan a drunk minister for Chretien did blow that so....)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, with the amount of people I know who are either passionately anti-monarchist or just don't give a poo poo about the royal family or its links to Canada in any way I would not say a picture of the queen is a symbol of national unity. I think most Canadians just don't care one way or the other and if and she was taken off our coins people would barely notice. I doubt the english royal family is very popular in Quebec either.

Just put up a drat :canada: flag or an Emily Carr nature scene. Nice and boring, very neutral. Very representative.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Just put up a drat :canada: flag or an Emily Carr nature scene. Nice and boring, very neutral. Very representative.

Or you could showcase some art from First Nations and Inuit artists. That'd be nice too.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
There used to be lots of inuit and first nations art in that lobby. The dumbest thing about taking all those paintings and sculptures out is that there are foreign dignitaries going through that lobby all day every day. Instead of showcasing some fine Canadian culture, we opted to show how much we love the Queen, and that's it. Really dumb.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Its not very likely, its true and openly acknowledged by the government military.

Don't you guys remember the Canadian soldier that was killed in Iraq earlier this year? It caused a hubub because the "advisors" were returning from the front lines at night, suggesting a rather more active role than had been thought.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/andrew-doiron-canadian-soldier-killed-in-iraq-honoured-at-ottawa-funeral-1.2994416

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
As cautiously optimistic as I was, I didn't really expect 5 items from https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/ to be in progress/completed less than a week in.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

rawrr posted:

As cautiously optimistic as I was, I didn't really expect 5 items from https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/ to be in progress/completed less than a week in.

Time for Our Elected Reps to ABOLISH AND CONDEMN THE HORRIFIC "ETHNIC CLEANSING LANGUAGE LAWS - forced upon the English speaking population of Quebec these past 40 horrific years. Years that have totally DESTROYED all that was GOOD - ALL THAT WAS EQUAL and ALL THAT MADE QUEBEC the RICHEST Province in the country... the BEST Place to live in the country and the SHINING EXAMPLE of what TRUE MULTICULTURALISM was able to achieve while ALWAYS " Respecting and EMBRACING the French face of the Province". Time to DENOUNCE THE HORRIFIC LIE - the DIVIDE AND CONQUER LIES that the French language is in danger when HISTORY HAS PROVEN the EXACT OPPOSITE is the TRUTH!!! The French language has NEVER been in danger and has IN FACT GROWN AT AN ASTONISHING LINGUISTIC AND HISTORIC RATE - ALL BEFORE these demented, ILLEGAL - RACIST - I repeat "Ethnic Cleansing "Laws".... were forced upon us ALL. Laws that have criminally DENIED CANADIANS their right to live and work in OUR ENGLISH in OUR cANADIANS pROVINCE OF qUEBEC. Time to ERASE THIS DARK DIRTY SECRET that has been DELIBERATELY KEPT SECRET not only from the REST OF CANADA - but from the world - in spite of the UNITED NATIONS CONDEMNING THEM THREE TIMES!! This NEW and improved Liberal; Government has promised to RETURN AND ENFORCE EQUALITY. Time to start with the 2 million English speaking population who have been REDUCED to enduring NO RIGHTS, NO FREEDOMS - ERASURE OF THEIR/OUR EQUALITY AND ERASURE OF ALL OUR CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS. If OUR Liberal party has not learned its lesson - a ;lesson made clear - from the 2 million English speaking voters - made clear with their defeat in the last election and their HOPE that the PROMISE OF EQUAL RIGHTS WIN in this election then rest assured - the days of OUR VOICES being SILENCED AND MUZZLED - by the Quebec ABUSE OF POWER Politicians - will be made PUBLIC - as will and is being made PUBLIC - how and why Quebec and Montreal has deteriorated into the sewer of bankruptcy and worldwide disgrace it has been DELIBERATELY LED into these past 40+ horrific years!! TIME THE LIBERAL PARTY KEEP ITS PROMISES - and NO MORE DEPRAVED APPEASEMENT of the dictatorial QC Provincial Parties - whose ONLY raison d'etres has been to DESTROY OUR CANADIAN Province - a government that has been ALLOWED by our Federal Defenders and Protectors of our Constitution to force upon us all. By all, I mean all of us across the country who have been criminally SHUT OUT OF because we supposedly are not OMG "Pure Laines" ???? This MADNESS MUST STOP NOW. This horrific and easily proven as such LIE - that the French language is in danger and that that LIE being used to ERASE AND exterminate THE ENGLISH SPEAKING POPULATION OF QUEBEC???? ARE YOU LISTENING MELANIE JOLIE??? Are you listening Justin Trudeau? Are you listening ALL MP'S we in good faith elected to, "Do your DUTY"... made crystal clear in the FULL VERSION of OUR cONSTITUTION'S sTATUTES oF lAW mAKING rEGULATIONS??? rULES AND rEGULATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN FOR OVER 4 DECADES abused BEYOND BELIEF?? KNOW WE HAVE PUT OUR FAITH AND TRUST IN YOU - ONCE AGAIN. TRUST THAT THIS TIME - YOU ALL ABIDE BY AND HONOR YOUR OATHS TO THE PEOPLE OF CANADA - TO ALL OF US... TO HONOR AND PROTECT OUR CHARTER OF RIGHTS.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

There used to be lots of inuit and first nations art in that lobby. The dumbest thing about taking all those paintings and sculptures out is that there are foreign dignitaries going through that lobby all day every day. Instead of showcasing some fine Canadian culture, we opted to show how much we love the Queen, and that's it. Really dumb.

Yep, the Liberals should definitely bring back the first nations art. I'm sure they will, it's a given that they're the most culturally sensitive party and would only ever open the floodgates of poo poo onto a reserve if it was really super needed to increase urban property values or something.

quote:

Canada's environment minister has signed off a contentious plan to dump 8 billion liters of raw residential and industrial sewage into the St. Lawrence River, as long as certain conditions are met.

It expected to last seven days and will flush the equivalent of 2,600 Olympic-sized pools of sewage from Montreal boroughs of LaSalle, Verdun, and Notre-Dame-de-Grace into the river. The city says the sewage represents less than 1 percent of the average volume handled by the main water treatment plant in the area.

She also said the government is "very interested" in hearing from affected indigenous communities that live in the area of the dump. McKenna said the officials had consulted the Kahnawake reserve, which is southwest of Montreal, but she did not indicate if hey supported the plan.

She did not indicate if they supported the plan. I won't leave you guys in suspense, it turns out that they do not.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Time for Our Elected Reps to ABOLISH AND CONDEMN THE HORRIFIC "ETHNIC CLEANSING LANGUAGE LAWS - forced upon the English speaking population of Quebec these past 40 horrific years. Years that have totally DESTROYED all that was GOOD - ALL THAT WAS EQUAL and ALL THAT MADE QUEBEC the RICHEST Province in the country... the BEST Place to live in the country and the SHINING EXAMPLE of what TRUE MULTICULTURALISM was able to achieve while ALWAYS " Respecting and EMBRACING the French face of the Province". Time to DENOUNCE THE HORRIFIC LIE - the DIVIDE AND CONQUER LIES that the French language is in danger when HISTORY HAS PROVEN the EXACT OPPOSITE is the TRUTH!!! The French language has NEVER been in danger and has IN FACT GROWN AT AN ASTONISHING LINGUISTIC AND HISTORIC RATE - ALL BEFORE these demented, ILLEGAL - RACIST - I repeat "Ethnic Cleansing "Laws".... were forced upon us ALL. Laws that have criminally DENIED CANADIANS their right to live and work in OUR ENGLISH in OUR cANADIANS pROVINCE OF qUEBEC. Time to ERASE THIS DARK DIRTY SECRET that has been DELIBERATELY KEPT SECRET not only from the REST OF CANADA - but from the world - in spite of the UNITED NATIONS CONDEMNING THEM THREE TIMES!! This NEW and improved Liberal; Government has promised to RETURN AND ENFORCE EQUALITY. Time to start with the 2 million English speaking population who have been REDUCED to enduring NO RIGHTS, NO FREEDOMS - ERASURE OF THEIR/OUR EQUALITY AND ERASURE OF ALL OUR CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS. If OUR Liberal party has not learned its lesson - a ;lesson made clear - from the 2 million English speaking voters - made clear with their defeat in the last election and their HOPE that the PROMISE OF EQUAL RIGHTS WIN in this election then rest assured - the days of OUR VOICES being SILENCED AND MUZZLED - by the Quebec ABUSE OF POWER Politicians - will be made PUBLIC - as will and is being made PUBLIC - how and why Quebec and Montreal has deteriorated into the sewer of bankruptcy and worldwide disgrace it has been DELIBERATELY LED into these past 40+ horrific years!! TIME THE LIBERAL PARTY KEEP ITS PROMISES - and NO MORE DEPRAVED APPEASEMENT of the dictatorial QC Provincial Parties - whose ONLY raison d'etres has been to DESTROY OUR CANADIAN Province - a government that has been ALLOWED by our Federal Defenders and Protectors of our Constitution to force upon us all. By all, I mean all of us across the country who have been criminally SHUT OUT OF because we supposedly are not OMG "Pure Laines" ???? This MADNESS MUST STOP NOW. This horrific and easily proven as such LIE - that the French language is in danger and that that LIE being used to ERASE AND exterminate THE ENGLISH SPEAKING POPULATION OF QUEBEC???? ARE YOU LISTENING MELANIE JOLIE??? Are you listening Justin Trudeau? Are you listening ALL MP'S we in good faith elected to, "Do your DUTY"... made crystal clear in the FULL VERSION of OUR cONSTITUTION'S sTATUTES oF lAW mAKING rEGULATIONS??? rULES AND rEGULATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN FOR OVER 4 DECADES abused BEYOND BELIEF?? KNOW WE HAVE PUT OUR FAITH AND TRUST IN YOU - ONCE AGAIN. TRUST THAT THIS TIME - YOU ALL ABIDE BY AND HONOR YOUR OATHS TO THE PEOPLE OF CANADA - TO ALL OF US... TO HONOR AND PROTECT OUR CHARTER OF RIGHTS.

Source your quotes.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I enjoyed the use of the phrase "raison d'etre" in a rant about how the French were persecuting the English.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I've always counted on random caps and all caps as reliable indicators for crazy, but this is the first time I've come across reverse caps ("FULL VERSION of OUR cONSTITUTION'S sTATUTES oF lAW mAKING rEGULATIONS???").

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

PT6A posted:

Is there anybody I learned about in school who didn't turn out to be a horrible person?

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-foreign-affairs-art-queen-1.3310633

I'm enjoying even the smallest gestures in the attempts to dismantle Harper's legacy.

You missed quoting the best part of that:

"But Robert Finch, dominion chairman of the Monarchist League of Canada, was not impressed with the change, calling it "outrageous" on Twitter. Finch told CBC News the fact that Liberals have spoken in strong support of the monarchy in the past makes the decision "all the more puzzling and frustrating.""

Maybe I'm just out of touch but I cant think of a single person I know other than my friend's 90 year old grandmother that gives a poo poo about the monarchy. I have an acute moment of bewilderment every now and then when i'm reminded these people exist. This must be a generational thing.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

The Duggler posted:

Is there anybody I learned about in school who didn't turn out to be a horrible person?

Frederick Banting?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

rawrr posted:

I've always counted on random caps and all caps as reliable indicators for crazy, but this is the first time I've come across reverse caps ("FULL VERSION of OUR cONSTITUTION'S sTATUTES oF lAW mAKING rEGULATIONS???").

Caps Lock is a cruel mistress.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Replacing artwork that celebrates Canadian culture with an icon of central authority just seems like such a Harper Government (tm) thing to do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Duggler posted:

To be fair, changing cultural standards mean that pretty much anyone more than 50 years removed from the present will be an awful person by current standards.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Yep, the Liberals should definitely bring back the first nations art. I'm sure they will, it's a given that they're the most culturally sensitive party and would only ever open the floodgates of poo poo onto a reserve if it was really super needed to increase urban property values or something.

She did not indicate if they supported the plan. I won't leave you guys in suspense, it turns out that they do not.

How does this increase property values?

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

OSI bean dip posted:

With Harper no longer in power and Nickelback unable to do this anymore...

What Canadian band can we expect to endorse Trudeau in such a way? Hedley?

The Yung Liberalz seem to be pretty big on Trudeau

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Source your quotes.

I did! (Trudeaumetre.ca, one of the newest comments at the bottom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I saw a tweet on my feed today about Immigration Minister McCallum saying that bringing 25k refugees by year's end would be challenging. A few of the responses were along the lines of "then why did you say you'd do it?/why should we do it?"

Am I wrong in thinking that we should ask, if not demand, that our government do challenging things when they're the right things to do?

Edit: the more I see of McCallum the more I think he was an inspired choice for that position. He seems passionate about it and he has enough experience with how government works to be effective at it.