Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Or at least not have a job where you gotta take care of black people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Veskit posted:

At the end of the day a college president doesn't believe in systematic racism, but that black people aren't rising to the opportunities given to them. Then not only did he believe it in his heart, he said it to students as a means of inspiration.

You should be fired for that.

Ahh, I see the confusion. I believe he's trying to say that the systemic oppression means that the students of color don't have access to equal opportunities, not that they are not rising on their own to meet them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a guy we can all be guilt-free mad at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw

His closing benediction.

quote:

“America, repent that Dumbledore emerged as a homosexual mentor for Harry Potter, that Hiccup’s mentor in ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ emerged as a homosexual himself in order that history might repeat itself one more time, in order that little six- and seven- and eight-year-olds might stumble, in order that tens of millions of parents, it would be better that a millstone be hanged around their neck and they be drowned at the bottom of the sea than that there would be so many people stumbling so many children in public schools, in movie theaters, in homes in which children are raised to be stumbled by the Dumbledores and by the mentors of Hiccup in ‘How to Train Your Dragon’!”

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

homes in which children are raised to be stumbled by the Dumbledores and by the mentors of Hiccup in ‘How to Train Your Dragon’!”

The real miracle is that a human being can say that without bursting into laughter.

Look, I'm using humor as a coping mechanism. Let me roll with it.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Veskit posted:

I was going to quote the video but the post is gone. At least continue your point with the correct info.

I took a quote from a Washington Post that actually got it wrong. Then I watched the video and it matches what you said so that's all.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Minority Yale students must have it really rough knowing that they're at the second best ivy, it must be a real existential dread. Well, that and then being black too I guess.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Ahh, I see the confusion. I believe he's trying to say that the systemic oppression means that the students of color don't have access to equal opportunities, not that they are not rising on their own to meet them.

While he may have been trying to say the former, it came out seeming more like the latter to an awful lot of people, many of whom aren't particularly inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Milk Malk posted:

Minority Yale students must have it really rough knowing that they're at the second best ivy, it must be a real existential dread. Well, that and then being black too I guess.

Just look at what that heady brew did to Clarence Thomas.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MC Nietzche posted:

Just look at what that heady brew did to Clarence Thomas.

That was the law school - he was a Holy Cross undergrad, I believe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Yeah, if this is a tragic repeated failure of messaging, I feel a bit bad for the guy - on the other hand, messaging is a pretty big part of being a university president, so even if we give him the benefit of the doubt on his statements and his clunky bureaucratic responses to endemic racial issues, he still needs to up his game.

I'm not sure it's exactly a firing offense, but I also don't see him exactly being a professional pariah. If nothing else, he fell on his sword to protect the functioning of the institution and its football money. :911:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

maybe i'm just not progressive enough but i can't feel bad for people that vote for people that slash the benefits of others and then get their own benefits slashed

Then don't feel bad for him. Feel bad for the people his vote cancelled out who voted for the other guy.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While he may have been trying to say the former, it came out seeming more like the latter to an awful lot of people, many of whom aren't particularly inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

From the reports I've heard from Concerned Student 1950 he didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Remember, up until the last few weeks it was Loftin's head on the block, but after dealing with both Loftin and Wolfe, CS1950 and the Forum for Graduate Rights determined Loftin was a dummy, but was willing to listen. The reports I've heard is they believed Wolfe was totally unwilling to listen.

So, I don't think he misspoke. I think he really is that much of an rear end in a top hat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, if this is a tragic repeated failure of messaging, I feel a bit bad for the guy - on the other hand, messaging is a pretty big part of being a university president, so even if we give him the benefit of the doubt on his statements and his clunky bureaucratic responses to endemic racial issues, he still needs to up his game.

I'm not sure it's exactly a firing offense, but I also don't see him exactly being a professional pariah. If nothing else, he fell on his sword to protect the functioning of the institution and its football money. :911:

I think he should be fired for threatening to run over a student.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is unilaterally decreasing every graduate student's aid package immediately before the semester started just a messaging issue too?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

Oh well I guess his death is good and funny then.

It's funny how hard you're trolling for the "gently caress the people who didn't vote for democrats" response that you're not getting. Almost like people are wising up to your tired schtick.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Radbot posted:

It's funny how hard you're trolling for the "gently caress the people who didn't vote for democrats" response that you're not getting. Almost like people are wising up to your tired schtick.

next thing you know, he'll be white knighting a pregnant woman

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

You can quibbble about what he might or not believe. But what's incontravertible are his actions, and they're worth him getting fired. Good riddance.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
In what probably qualifies for self harm, I ended up volunteering for a 2016 race before the results for 2015 were even in. (There will be a primary fight to take on Susan Brooks, so Election Day is in May as far as it matters for us right now)

Where I'm going with this is that I'm still overworked so can someone give me a tl dr for the new title?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

next thing you know, he'll be white knighting a pregnant woman

What are you talking about? A quote please?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

alpha_destroy posted:

From the reports I've heard from Concerned Student 1950 he didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Remember, up until the last few weeks it was Loftin's head on the block, but after dealing with both Loftin and Wolfe, CS1950 and the Forum for Graduate Rights determined Loftin was a dummy, but was willing to listen. The reports I've heard is they believed Wolfe was totally unwilling to listen.

So, I don't think he misspoke. I think he really is that much of an rear end in a top hat.

That's a bit interesting and does sound plausible.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I took a quote from a Washington Post that actually got it wrong. Then I watched the video and it matches what you said so that's all.

poo poo my bad.

Joementum posted:

Then why would he say you're not going to like my answer. They're not going to like the answer to the question that heavily implies it's about inequality? Please. The only answer they wouldn't like is that there is no such thing and they need to get over it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
On my phone, so I can't get the news story, but I believe Loftin is transitioning into a research position. Soooo... CS1950 took down two people in one day. That's nuts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bah, he would probaly murder-sucide his entire family if one of his kids turned out gay, which is sad. then again this guy thinks Aquinas and mark twain are deamons

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Radbot posted:

I think people are offering up that response pretty willingly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

You can quibbble about what he might or not believe. But what's incontravertible are his actions, and they're worth him getting fired. Good riddance.

Spreading poo poo swastikas is a firing offense, I agree.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Badger of Basra posted:

I think people are offering up that response pretty willingly.

And the normal, infantilizing responses to go with it. BAU.

Maybe we should actually ask these voters about whether they want internet liberals defending their right to healthcare that they don't want? How much clearer do they need to make this to you? loving respect these people, Christ.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

In what probably qualifies for self harm, I ended up volunteering for a 2016 race before the results for 2015 were even in. (There will be a primary fight to take on Susan Brooks, so Election Day is in May as far as it matters for us right now)

Where I'm going with this is that I'm still overworked so can someone give me a tl dr for the new title?

Tim Wolfe, President of U. of Mo. at Columbia, got resigned.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Veskit posted:

Then why would he say you're not going to like my answer. They're not going to like the answer to the question that heavily implies it's about inequality? Please. The only answer they wouldn't like is that there is no such thing and they need to get over it.

He didn't say that. He said, "I will give you an answer and I'm sure it will be a wrong answer."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"These grown men and women have repeatedly rebuked Obamacare at the polls, but they know not what they want. They deserve empathy for their decisions, because I have decided they are wrong. Poor widdle Southerners."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

US Pol Nov: Murdering Baby Hitler

or

US Pol Nov: Jeb! would "fix" baby Hitler

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

He didn't say that. He said, "I will give you an answer and I'm sure it will be a wrong answer."

He sealed his own fate.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You know, it isn't even difficult to come up with a fairminded summation. Nobody deserves what's happening in Kansas/Kentucky/whichever state is getting screwed today, but they sure as hell don't have anyone to else to blame.

As for what we (referring to Democrats and progressives generally) should do about it? I favor trying to get Debbie Wasserman-Schultz bounced out of the DNC on her rear end and reinstating Howard Dean. Or you know, someone who was awake during his tenure at least. You know why progressive politics never make any headway in states like Kentucky? Because there's no loving ground game. Even if winning is flatly impossible, there's still a strategic advantage in putting up a fight.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Has SEC football been destroyed yet, inshallah?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
US Politics Megathread November, or, In Which it is Debated Which Ideologically Incorrect Opinions Merit the Guillotine: All Of Them, or None?

turns out the truth is in the middle, Cartman

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Missouri and Kentucky are terrible but thats not enough to destroy the SEC east.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

"These grown men and women have repeatedly rebuked Obamacare at the polls, but they know not what they want. They deserve empathy for their decisions, because I have decided they are wrong. Poor widdle Southerners."

what about the people who voted in th eminority. gently caress them too for living in a red state?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of tired schticks...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fool_of_sound posted:

That's like asking if we've shelled that shimmering mirage on the horizon. SEC football exists only as an internal illusion of football, only as real as the twisted light shining through a layer of impossibly humid air. Travelers bearing contracts and draft picks gleefully hurl them into the mirage like so many others before them, only to suffer years of torment before consigning their charge to free agency or Canada.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Radbot posted:

Yes they do deserve empathy because they were gratuitously misled by the powerful and persuasive into voting directly against their own self interest and that is a bummer man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Joementum posted:

Semantics aside why would "systematic oppression exists" be a wrong answer when a black person to his face asks what is systematic oppression?

• Locked thread