Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I can't handle the hustling in that Cryme Tyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair enough, just everywhere I go is super negative on it and I don't wanna get what sounds like it'll just be SFxT2 (though to be straight I never played the first one for similar reasons)

It won't be the next XTekken, I can guarantee that. At the very least, I'm confident 30% of the matches won't end in time outs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ruggington posted:

he can now safely play sf5 with the threat of gigantic asses eradicated

Liam's never seemed like an rear end man to me so of course he would be pleased with this

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I assume by nerfs you mean the nerfs to amount of butt seen. Very distressing to say the least.

I uh, meant to damage and how it's apparently super low and makes things boring

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

It won't be the next XTekken, I can guarantee that. At the very least, I'm confident 30% of the matches won't end in time outs.

yeah not even close, SFxT was...special. SFV fights look exciting and fast-paced, but those raised on SF4 probably aren't used to that kind of thing.

In a way though it completes the cycle, now they have an old game to revere and a new game to resent because Things Are Different.

edit: It depends on what's getting nerfed really. Some of that super damange was loltastic but super-low-damange doesn't gel with SFV at all. From what I've seen SFV is a game about kicking rear end. It's super-offensive but still retains that SF feel where good defense still plays a huge part.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 9, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Liam's never seemed like an rear end man to me so of course he would be pleased with this

Liam's fear of butts is part of the canon, any of the Zaibatsu could attest to it.

hoobajoo posted:

SFV has reasonable damage, only one lifebar and no frame advantage on its normals anyway. Even if it sucks it's not gonna be as bad as vanilla SFxT.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It will probably be indescribably boring tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yinlock posted:

yeah not even close, SFxT was...special. SFV fights look exciting and fast-paced, but those raised on SF4 probably aren't used to that kind of thing.

In a way though it completes the cycle, now they have an old game to revere and a new game to resent because Things Are Different.

edit: It depends on what's getting nerfed really. Some of that super damange was loltastic but super-low-damange doesn't gel with SFV at all. From what I've seen SFV is a game about kicking rear end. It's super-offensive but still retains that SF feel where good defense still plays a huge part.

People raised on SFIV and people who've been playing since ST are calling SFV a mess. It is not fast paced at all and they are even merging Ryu's DP so it does less damage as an anti-air.

Shown here, a game about kicking rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_s-gNUSF8

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baal posted:

People raised on SFIV and people who've been playing since ST are calling SFV a mess. It is not fast paced at all and they are even merging Ryu's DP so it does less damage as an anti-air.

Shown here, a game about kicking rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_s-gNUSF8

single attack does low damage, news at eleven

like i'm not saying you're wrong but that video tells me less than nothing

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hahaaha, that's not the point of that video

The throw range is atrocious, literally everything can be punished with crouching jab

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baal posted:

Hahaaha, that's not the point of that video

Please explain then. Pretend I'm a stupid moron who doesn't know much about fighting games.

(protip: it's the truth)

EDIT: So it's Virtua Fighter?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yinlock posted:

Please explain then. Pretend I'm a stupid moron who doesn't know much about fighting games.

(protip: it's the truth)

EDIT: So it's Virtua Fighter?

I've seen people play Virtua Fighter and it is nothing like what I described, it is insanity is what it is. SFV has like a million problems in its current state that they keep doubling down on. The game is only three months away with one more beta left, so they could still fix it, but I do not have a lot of hope for it.

I'm sure people who don't care and just want to fight their friends will have fun, but I'm not really liking how it looks personally and I am not special in that sentiment.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wow, this is even shittier than the regular ending.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To get more technical here: throws start up in 5 frames (as opposed to SF4's 3 frames). I suppose this is a change to disencourage throwing defensively or during a neutral, midrange situation. The problem with that is situations where they want you to throw people (after making them block, to open them up), it's not all that effective, because you can either get jabbed out a throw since you don't have enough frame advantage (jab in this case means a 3f attack, the fastest ones in the game) on them or you're too far away to throw them because your normals push you SUPER FAR when blocked now and throws have no range. That video basically demonstrates that. See how after a crouching jab Ken tries to walk up and throw but that gets eaten? This means people can just block their first hit and then mash jab because it will beat anything they might try to do afterwards. Hell, since you can vary your wakeup timing, I wouldn't be surprised if wakeup jab was a valid strategy.

(of course you can frametrap them to beat jab mash aka do a blockstring with a gap smaller than 3f, but since the pushback on normals is so big and the range on comboable normals so small, a lot of those give you almost no pressure at all. It's kinda bleh)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Boy...That LiS ending is just... wretched. I mean, great LP, thanks Matt and Liam, but holy poo poo, I despised that ending. What is the moral even supposed to be? "Don't try to make things better, because some people are just hosed by destiny and everyone will loving die if you try to help!"? I mean, Jesus Christ, that poo poo got bleak and empty in a hurry. And even aside from the putrid message, there's so much poo poo that just kind of drags on way too long, like like that 30 minute dream sequence that amounts to "Max feels like a gently caress up!" and the explanation of the storm is just so casually thrown out there, and thrown out there so late and with so little fanfare, that the final choice feels even more like bullshit than it was always going to, and there's long stretches with no music even though it feels like there really needs to be some to the point I actually just starting playing my own. God, that was just miserable. And, I mean, I actually like Max and Chloe well enough, and the it just feels like the ending is just there to poo poo on them for...I dunno, for trying, I guess.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The LiS kidney stone is passed, but still no Undertale episode on Vessel.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Liam literally turns into Warren in the finale of life is strange by not letting Chloe go.

I cannot believe how loving perfect that is. :allears:

Still funny how Chloe is a million times more "toxic" then Warren could ever be

Spiritus Nox posted:

Boy...That LiS ending is just... wretched. I mean, great LP, thanks Matt and Liam, but holy poo poo, I despised that ending. What is the moral even supposed to be? "Don't try to make things better, because some people are just hosed by destiny and everyone will loving die if you try to help!"? I mean, Jesus Christ, that poo poo got bleak and empty in a hurry. And even aside from the putrid message, there's so much poo poo that just kind of drags on way too long, like like that 30 minute dream sequence that amounts to "Max feels like a gently caress up!" and the explanation of the storm is just so casually thrown out there, and thrown out there so late and with so little fanfare, that the final choice feels even more like bullshit than it was always going to, and there's long stretches with no music even though it feels like there really needs to be some to the point I actually just starting playing my own. God, that was just miserable. And, I mean, I actually like Max and Chloe well enough, and the it just feels like the ending is just there to poo poo on them for...I dunno, for trying, I guess.

You literally go against what Chloe wants, kill her family and thousands of people just to keep Chloe to yourself. There will be more disasters because who's to say the tornado is the end? You can paint it however you want but you're absolutely terrible if you choose it. The other ending is a MILLION times better and longer because it's the actual good ending. Go back and listen to the nightmare Max, everything she says is a thousand times true in the diner.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 9, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For the record, Matt said he would've chose the good ending and Liam chose so fast that Matt didn't see it.

So basically Warren destroyed Arcadia Bay.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Warren, you had a good run as an awkward teenage science nerd who was crushing on a girl that thought you were a huge weirdo. May you go ape in the big jungle in the sky.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You literally go against what Chloe wants, kill her family and thousands of people just to keep Chloe to yourself. There will be more disasters because who's to say the tornado is the end? You can paint it however you want but you're absolutely terrible if you choose it. The other ending is a MILLION times better and longer because it's the actual good ending

The poo poo's so poorly explained though. Like, how do we know for a fact that the disasters are even a result of Max using her powers? The possibility literally isn't even mentioned in the story until Warren goes "I 'unno, butterfly effect?" 30 minutes out from the closing credits, and it never gets fleshed out more than that. And even if you accept that premise, how does Max know that going back in time yet again, using the time powers that apparently summoned the disaster, will cancel out said disaster? From other people's point of view, yeah, Max never used her powers, but from Max's point of view she's still used those powers a ton, and carries all the memories she'd brought back from the alternate future - how the gently caress does the cause and effect stay straight in this sort of situation? Like, there was a way to frame this choice in a way that meant something, sure, but everything linking Max's powers to the disaster is so vague and thrown together that it winds up feeling like a dumb contrivance that exists solely to inject a HARD MORAL CHOICE into the story's climax, and it does so in a way that I felt like undermined the tone and narrative the game had previously established. I mean, think about it: What is Life Is Strange about? Because after that ending, I have no loving idea - which is a shame, because I felt like I had an idea what it was doing for the previous four episodes.

And it gets worse when you consider the broader consequences of sacrificing Chloe. Because, if you actually want to save Arcadia Bay (and if this poo poo works the way Max seems to just kind of assume it does after Warren mentions Butterfly Effect), Max can't use her powers. So, in addition to letting Chloe get shot in some bathroom, do you have to let Kate jump off the roof? Max only reached her before by stopping time. What about Mr. Jefferson? How does Max get the evidence to stop him without using her powers? Like, there's enough people involved that it stops being a simple matter of "WELL MAXINE, SHALL IT BE THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OR THE NEEDS OF THE ONE?!" - and the game makes no effort to address any of that.

:words::argh::words:

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I can't stop comparing it to Beyond Two Souls in my head with how weird the morals are, "miss your family after they die? Kill yourself." "Trying to save your friend? Let them die, you gently caress."
Either ending you choose leaves Max and the player with less than what they started with and worse for wear. The whole thing seems really bleak.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spiritus Nox posted:

The poo poo's so poorly explained though. Like, how do we know for a fact that the disasters are even a result of Max using her powers? The possibility literally isn't even mentioned in the story until Warren goes "I 'unno, butterfly effect?" 30 minutes out from the closing credits, and it never gets fleshed out more than that. And even if you accept that premise, how does Max know that going back in time yet again, using the time powers that apparently summoned the disaster, will cancel out said disaster? From other people's point of view, yeah, Max never used her powers, but from Max's point of view she's still used those powers a ton, and carries all the memories she'd brought back from the alternate future - how the gently caress does the cause and effect stay straight in this sort of situation? Like, there was a way to frame this choice in a way that meant something, sure, but everything linking Max's powers to the disaster is so vague and thrown together that it winds up feeling like a dumb contrivance that exists solely to inject a HARD MORAL CHOICE into the story's climax, and it does so in a way that I felt like undermined the tone and narrative the game had previously established. I mean, think about it: What is Life Is Strange about? Because after that ending, I have no loving idea - which is a shame, because I felt like I had an idea what it was doing for the previous four episodes.

And it gets worse when you consider the broader consequences of sacrificing Chloe. Because, if you actually want to save Arcadia Bay (and if this poo poo works the way Max seems to just kind of assume it does after Warren mentions Butterfly Effect), Max can't use her powers. So, in addition to letting Chloe get shot in some bathroom, do you have to let Kate jump off the roof? Max only reached her before by stopping time. What about Mr. Jefferson? How does Max get the evidence to stop him without using her powers? Like, there's enough people involved that it stops being a simple matter of "WELL MAXINE, SHALL IT BE THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OR THE NEEDS OF THE ONE?!" - and the game makes no effort to address any of that.

:words::argh::words:

Yeah it's garbage and nothing is explained. It's poorly written in general but just going off what the game itself shows really.

Kill Chloe and everything returns to being peachy keen, you own Jefferson and everything is looking up so you still change things. It really is destiny saying "gently caress Chloe specifically" which is why more disasters are probably going to happen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The LiS ending feels kinda cheap.

I just hate the "you can't change time" trope. Having Max's powers linked to the disaster is the lamest and most obvious option and I almost can't believe they went with it. Why did Max get time powers at all? It wasn't to get Jefferson put away, the "good" ending alludes to Nathan's arrest solving that problem. While I enjoyed the series, the "good" ending feels on the level of "it was all a dream" - it undoes everything that happened, with the bonus of leaving Max probably traumatized.

quote:

It really is destiny saying "gently caress Chloe specifically" which is why more disasters are probably going to happen.

I was trying to figure out why this was touching a nerve, and I remembered back to when I saw "Final Destination" when I was a bit too young. Why the gently caress did they have the vision if they were supposed to die? gently caress off with your time police bullshit.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it's garbage and nothing is explained. It's poorly written in general but just going off what the game itself shows really.

Kill Chloe and everything returns to being peachy keen, you own Jefferson and everything is looking up so you still change things. It really is destiny saying "gently caress Chloe specifically" which is why more disasters are probably going to happen.

And that's the biggest problem with it, IMO. The universe's (or, more accurately, the writers') apparent hate-boner for Chloe just feels so arbitrary and mean spirited - I mean, sure, she's kind of rude and angsty but nothing to the extent of making me feel good about having her get shot dead in some bathroom by NATHAN "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS" PRESCOTT NEEEEERRRRRRHHH.

If I were playing the game, I'd probably save Chloe too, simply because I - the dude sitting at his computer playing a video game - just wound up resenting the writers basically poking their head through the screen and going "NAH, gently caress CHLOE THO" for 30 minutes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 4th or 5th or whatever final destination movie kinda tread the same plot. Preventing your death once does not stop death, but the twist was that if you kill someone in your place (In this case, possibly the entire Arcadia Bay), death got his quota and fucks off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

And that's the biggest problem with it, IMO. The universe's (or, more accurately, the writers') apparent hate-boner for Chloe just feels so arbitrary and mean spirited - I mean, sure, she's kind of rude and angsty but nothing to the extent of making me feel good about having her get shot dead in some bathroom by NATHAN "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS" PRESCOTT NEEEEERRRRRRHHH.

If I were playing the game, I'd probably save Chloe too, simply because I - the dude sitting at his computer playing a video game - just wound up resenting the writers basically poking their head through the screen and going "NAH, gently caress CHLOE THO" for 30 minutes.

I don't think I agree the Writers have a hateboner for Chloe. Bad poo poo kept happening to her because fate decided that she would die at the hands of Nathan. Preventing that caused fate to keep on trying to kill her (the train for example.) It's just the writers harping on the "you can't cheat fate" trope.

But I don't get the point of invoking that trope. It's been done before, and it's not like the world is better for her dying there. The photos that follow suggest Nathan squeals on Mr. Jefferson and he gets locked away, but we already had a perfect scenario of Jefferson getting put away without anyone dying when Max rewound all the way to her Selfie and gave David(?) the heads up.

If you can't change fate, there has to be a drat good reason for it, and literally pulling a supernatural force out of your rear end just feels lame.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think I agree the Writers have a hateboner for Chloe. Bad poo poo kept happening to her because fate decided that she would die at the hands of Nathan. Preventing that caused fate to keep on trying to kill her (the train for example.) It's just the writers harping on the "you can't cheat fate" trope.

But I don't get the point of invoking that trope. It's been done before, and it's not like the world is better for her dying there. The photos that follow suggest Nathan squeals on Mr. Jefferson and he gets locked away, but we already had a perfect scenario of Jefferson getting put away without anyone dying when Max rewound all the way to her Selfie and gave David(?) the heads up.

Right, my wording wasn't perfect there. I don't think the writers hate or want the player to hate Chloe, but they do clearly think that she needs to die, to which I can only feel like...why? Like I keep saying, it just comes across feeling mean-spirited and hollow, which was a harsh change from the feeling evoked by the rest of the game that I don't get at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's less "you can't change the outcome, so don't try to fix it" and more "your changes are the reason for the outcome, but you can fix it". It's cheap and the ending is stupid, but Life is Strange's ending wasn't actually predetermined until Max made it so by loving around with her time powers until there was no way to fix it otherwise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Life is Strange is a good game with a teeeeeeeerrible ending.

Remember that jeff gerstmann email where he's making fart noises at the rerelease of Nights? The loose fart is life is strange's ending

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do think a second season where you play as Chloe trying to escape Max would be a amazing twist and nearly save this seasons ending as a aside.

Max is clearly willing to kill thousands just to keep her and is actively ignoring Chloe's wish to set things right and all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I do think a second season where you play as Chloe trying to escape Max would be a amazing twist and nearly save this seasons ending as a aside.

Max is clearly willing to kill thousands just to keep her and is actively ignoring Chloe's wish to set things right and all.

A game where the objective is to commit suicide, but a person with time powers keeps undoing it sounds like a really (interestingly) messed up game.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Life is Strange is a good game with a teeeeeeeerrible ending.

Remember that jeff gerstmann email where he's making fart noises at the rerelease of Nights? The loose fart is life is strange's ending

it's that badumb?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tae posted:

For the record, Matt said he would've chose the good ending and Liam chose so fast that Matt didn't see it.

So basically Warren destroyed Arcadia Bay.
This is the best part, the guys stop talking for a beat, I expect them to think it out loud, maybe try to compromise, but no Liam actually just smashes the decision while Matt seemingly had his head turned. I actually laughed at that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like the ending I got for life is strange.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I feel like there's kind of a Scale of Video Game Time Travel, from Good(things you do directly affect the future but somehow you're still alive/retain your memories no matter what) and Bad(all time travel has already been done, nothing you do actually matters)

LiS kinda abruptly swings from one to the other really suddenly. In the "gently caress you you can't change anything" sense.

EDIT: I just don't know why Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia are the only ones to really get it. Goofy time travel is the best! Not everything has to play by super-strict rules.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Know what game they're playing that has really good time travel? Here's a hint it starts with U and the guys keep delaying it for some reason.

Oxyclean posted:

A game where the objective is to commit suicide, but a person with time powers keeps undoing it sounds like a really (interestingly) messed up game.

You living is actively getting everyone killed but a time lord won't let you rest in peace because she's utterly obsessed with you is a pretty interesting premise I think.

But yeah it is kinda messed up a little bit v:v:v

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Legacy of Kain had the best time travel because they must have had a full-on Memento-style cause-and-effect wall in the dev studio.

And it all works. You can follow any single thread of it's (admittedly complicated) plot, and it is resolved. Even if there's at least four parallel timelines.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Know what game they're playing that has really good time travel? Here's a hint it starts with U and the guys keep delaying it for some reason.

They are going to keep delaying if you keep harping on it. :colbert:

So shad up.

edit: Going with the belief that you have posting powers. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Believing that Matt will one day have a bad time fills me with determination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Good job, Max, you Homura'd this poo poo and then didn't take the out.

I was actually digging that last sequence, even if it ran a bit long, but the ending fell flat. Binary choices that disregard whatever else you did during the game are poo poo, and in this game it feels even worse.

Also, Liam made the correct choice and killed Warren at the end. Good on you, Liam. Best end.