Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He should never have been given the option. It's a cock up well above him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
If the rumours about the RFU's involvement in Bath bringing Burgess over from League are true then this could be the start of a real shitshow.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Too soon?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does that happen often for players to make the switch back?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

stavros880 posted:

I feel sorry for the guy to be honest. Played out of position in a major tournament. What was he supposed to say? "No, I don't want to play"?
Still think he should have stick it out though. In four years time he'd be a hell of a player for England.

Brad Thorn turned down an All Blacks call-up for 2 years because he didn't feel like he was ready for it. Just sayin'.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Kurtofan posted:

Does that happen often for players to make the switch back?

It's not that uncommon, yeah. Lote Tuqiri, Sonny Bill Williams, and Brad Thorn come immediately to mind. And those are just the ones who were actually good at Union - Benji Marshall had a brief flirtation with Union last year, if you recall.

Vagabundo posted:

Brad Thorn turned down an All Blacks call-up for 2 years because he didn't feel like he was ready for it. Just sayin'.

Meanwhile Kevin Sinfield has said he doesn't feel quite ready to play in the RFU Championship yet, and needs a couple of weeks.

I really am looking forward to seeing him play flyhalf, I think it will be cool.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Are rugby contracts written on toilet roll or something? It seems odd that there are a number of players that seem to try to back out of contracts early on.

e: Never mind, the full article is up and the Rabbitohs are paying a fee for him.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 5, 2015

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Oh Vagabundo, you'll be pleased to hear that Gatland is moving back to NZ after the 2019 RWC.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34736981

Onion cutting :ninja: hanging around my house when I read this.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Surely not too soon:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So the ref for the munster edinburgh game is pretty awful.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Holy poo poo the ending to the munster edinburgh game was amazing...and typically scottish

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Oh Vagabundo, you'll be pleased to hear that Gatland is moving back to NZ after the 2019 RWC.

I can't wait to see him throw his toys out of the pram and run off to loving England or something in a huff again, and for his teams to do nothing on attack other than run repeatedly at opposition defenders.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Japan qualified for Rio today. Hong Kong gave them a good run through the early stages of the final I actually thought they were gonna lose.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Ahahahahhaaaahaha

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/08/england-world-cup-stock-farrago

I'm an England fan through and through but this is hilarious

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

bigfoot again posted:

Ahahahahhaaaahaha

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/08/england-world-cup-stock-farrago

I'm an England fan through and through but this is hilarious

They really did deserve everything they got

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

quote:

Even by the lofty standards of English sporting stupidity it is hard to recall a more laughable chain of events.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
In further comedy England news, they're apparently 'sounding out' Michael Chieka for the England job.

Because of course an Aussie is going to quit being the Wallabies job for England?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're going to solve the problem by throwing money at people but refusing to change anything.

Like usual.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
When all you have is a hammer...

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It seems US is going to have a six team professional league from next year.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/usa-unveils-pro-rugby-league/

Has this got any chance of being a success?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I saw that!!!! All my rugger friends on Fb were very excited. I would love for it to work out. Guardedly optimistic in fact.

Meanwhile in other USA rugby news:

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-news/item/usa-rugby-seeks-applicants-for-men-s-eagles-national-team-head-coach?category_id=2

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have never heard of the "Professional Rugby Organisation".

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think yesterday was the first anyone had, actually.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

I have never heard of the "Professional Rugby Organisation".

Isn't that Rugby League?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Unimpressed posted:

Isn't that Rugby League?

Well the NRFL is trying to do an 1895 Northern Union kind of thing by just playing professional rugby without giving a drat about USAR but so far they have been spectacularly unsuccessful. Of course USAR have done a lot to prevent their getting off the ground.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

Edinburgh have shitloads at the moment, I'm sure they could spare you one if you ask nicely.

Lol

How good is he?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Lol

How good is he?

He's pretty good, he makes the gain line, sets up good second phase possession from scrums, good defensively and can give a decent offload. He's not the worlds most exciting player I would say but he just does everything well.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Aramoro posted:

He's pretty good, he makes the gain line, sets up good second phase possession from scrums, good defensively and can give a decent offload. He's not the worlds most exciting player I would say but he just does everything well.

The anti-Burgess then. Excellent

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

The anti-Burgess then. Excellent

He's a natural number 8, I don't know how you're fixed in that department but he's also played blindside flanker which is a decent position for him.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Aramoro posted:

He's a natural number 8, I don't know how you're fixed in that department but he's also played blindside flanker which is a decent position for him.

I imagine he'll play more blindside, as Faosiliva and Houston tend to play 8.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

HappyCamperGL posted:

It seems US is going to have a six team professional league from next year.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/usa-unveils-pro-rugby-league/

Has this got any chance of being a success?
It's interesting but I still have doubts about the quality, if it even gets off the ground. Seattle's club team with 4 USA players in it lost to University of BC last weekend, and a few guys in their 22 have only picked up the game in the last couple years. Is the depth for this league out there? That and travel costs were the big killer for the Rugby Canada Super League.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I continue to be flabbergasted we can't find 31 men aged 18-35, out of a country of over 300 million, who can loving play rugby well.

But if we can't put together a national team that can beat Canada more than 1/2 the time, I don't think we'll find 6 teams that can attract the crowds and sponsors needed to sustain a professional league.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

tarbrush posted:

Lol

How good is he?

He is Scotland's best player.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Tyma posted:

He is Scotland's best player.

<< drat straight, even looks good as a toxx avatar

EDIT: also, like Pocock, originally from Zimbabwe

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Apollodorus posted:

If he's that good and Zimbabwean, how come he's not English, huh?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Shame you can't wear your Canadian colours on your sleeve anymore.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So, in a continuation of the most shambolic fallout from the world cup, George Ford and Stuart Hooper have just planted very large knives in Burgess' back, criticising him for not having the bottle to stick out his deal.

Mike Brown had also had a pop at the entire rest of the team over the leaks, saying he doesn't trust any of them.

Given that the whole point of Lancaster was to improve the cohesion and accountability of the team, why hasn't he resigned yet?

Good to know that a hard hitting review will be coming out soon that will put all of this stuff to bed :rolleyes:

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
You would think England should have a bunch of decent young players either in their squad or close to making it. Considering they were winners of the under 20 world Cup in 2013 and 2014 plus the runner up this year. I have no idea if these players are doing well in, or playing, as professionals but you would hope a few contracts were signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

tarbrush posted:

Given that the whole point of Lancaster was to improve the cohesion and accountability of the team, why hasn't he resigned yet?

Funny you ask that....

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/34500716