Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jewel Repetition posted:

*In constipated voice* Little fuckers

You might also say he's jealous of Hitler's ability to expand detention capacity.

e: http://www.c-span.org/video/?60648-1/florida-gubernatorial-debate

I was like 10 years old back then but fifth grade was prime time for "learn how government works" type stuff and lo and behold I remember watching this poo poo and wondering what this jeb rube was on about. Chiles was this weird amalgam of southern shitkicker with some neat stuff thrown in like constitutional maximums for class sizes. Southern new-dealer through and through I guess.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I took it to mean that the guy commenting about the prank wasn't actually present where/when the fake test was given.

Whoops, yeah my bad, I misunderstood. Guess I should've actually read the whole thing :downs:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

He just said he doesn't remember who showed up. Carson might have. And he said they gave out a cash prize to some of the students who stayed through the whole thing.

I don't see how this is supposed to make people feel better about Carson's understanding of reality. According to his story, if I remember it correctly, 149 people figured out it was a prank and got up and walked out and Carson was the only person naive enough to stick it out to the end. That's not someone I want in the White House.

edit: the truth is worse than Carson's lovely memory being false

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know how corporate taxation works in the US, but here in Canada, there's perhaps 1% of the population that understands that, unlike personal income taxes, corporate incomes taxes are paid on profit, not income. A higher tax rate will not kill a struggling business, it will just lessen the amount that exists to be paid out in dividends to shareholders. If the business is not showing a profit, it does not owe corporate income tax. Now, if you were paying yourself by dividend instead of salary to save on your personal income taxes, and you didn't leave enough to pay your corporate income taxes, that's a problem. But it's entirely your fault, and you could just as easily pay yourself a salary and show no profit on the corporate level.

But all we hear is how higher corporate tax rates would hurt business and make it nigh-impossible to attract investment (because our province boosted its rate by something like 1% last budget). I don't think anyone short of tax accountants has a clue how the tax system functions.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Man, it would have been a lot better had Ben just made up the test out of nowhere (Where did the guy say they gave students money for completing it?)

But, all is not lost. Two possibilities remain:

1. Carson's still making up the money, photo, 'most honest student', 'only person who stayed' bit
2. He's just finding out now, decades later, that he got pranked.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

I'm just thinking of what schoolyard lies in the pre-Googling days kids would tell.

:argh: And no, Eric, you definitely didn't unlock blood graphics in MK for the SNES.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PT6A posted:

I don't know how corporate taxation works in the US, but here in Canada, there's perhaps 1% of the population that understands that, unlike personal income taxes, corporate incomes taxes are paid on profit, not income. A higher tax rate will not kill a struggling business, it will just lessen the amount that exists to be paid out in dividends to shareholders. If the business is not showing a profit, it does not owe corporate income tax. Now, if you were paying yourself by dividend instead of salary to save on your personal income taxes, and you didn't leave enough to pay your corporate income taxes, that's a problem. But it's entirely your fault, and you could just as easily pay yourself a salary and show no profit on the corporate level.

But all we hear is how higher corporate tax rates would hurt business and make it nigh-impossible to attract investment (because our province boosted its rate by something like 1% last budget). I don't think anyone short of tax accountants has a clue how the tax system functions.
A lot of people are ignorant and busy so they listen to what sounds good, and there's a certain logic to "well if they have to pay more tax they have less cash for other purposes, so that makes sense, really".

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

radical meme posted:

if I remember it correctly, 149 people figured out it was a prank and got up and walked out and Carson was the only person naive enough to stick it out to the end. That's not someone I want in the White House.

To be fair, turning getting pranked into an inspirational tale about how honest and righteous and great you are is exactly the kind of thing you should expect to happen in the mind of the kind of megalomaniac who wants to become president.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Triglav posted:

What would be better?

The problem is that by expressing it that way it's not clear that the calculation is based on separate tranches of the income total. The effective percentage tax rate taken as a whole depends on the actual taxable income. A total income just barely above one of the thresholds has an effective tax rate that's considerably lower than that for an AGI towards the upper end of the bracket.

A CEO with a $5,000,000 income pays the same 0% tax rate on the first $10K (or whatever) that a poor person pays (ignoring AMT). And nobody ever gets less net income after taxes by making more money (again, ignoring AMT).

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Jeb doubled down:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I actually saw one of these hats while doing an inventory for a Halloween shop that was packing up for the year. I told them I was disappointed at the lack of gold trim.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why does Jeb Bush hate babies so much?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Man, it would have been a lot better had Ben just made up the test out of nowhere (Where did the guy say they gave students money for completing it?)

But, all is not lost. Two possibilities remain:

1. Carson's still making up the money, photo, 'most honest student', 'only person who stayed' bit
2. He's just finding out now, decades later, that he got pranked.

The article says there was a small cash prize. The only details Carson got wrong were the name of the course, the year he took the course, and the person who gave him the prize (Carson said it was a professor, the article says it was someone posing as a proctor).

Carson is quoted in the article saying that his co-writer for his book embellished a few details (such as the name of the course) to make it flashier. Doesn't seem like a huge scandal compared to the other poo poo he's done recently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Babies are notorious at not having much ready money to donate to a campaign, nor for being in many elite social groups. You hardly ever see a baby at Bohemian Grove. Also, they poo poo their pants a lot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Actually it's about ethics in college testing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samuel Clemens posted:

Anyone who attended public K-12 school in Florida during his reign would immediately inform you that his sadism is not limited just to infants.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samuel Clemens posted:

Let's just say that the baby he'd really like to off was born in the late '40s. :laugh:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Disillusionist posted:

Doesn't seem like a huge scandal compared to the other poo poo he's done recently.

The scandal is he was too naive to realize it was a prank.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Isn't the whole "kill baby hitler" thing a setup for a philosophical examination of the implications of time travel, and isn't the right answer that it's impossible and a foolish question?

We may have ended up with Hitler because somebody went back in time and killed somebody else, allowing Hitler to rise to power.

Killing Hitler means that George H. W. Bush probably wasn't a war hero and there's no Jeb! anyway.

Killing Hitler might allow somebody worse (and less crazy) to sieze power, or to allow Stalin to conquer all of Europe.

Etc. It's not a serious question and to express firm conviction on any course of action is an uninformed way of answering the question.

Not that the answer is surprising of course.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Jeb IRL

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

emfive posted:

Isn't the whole "kill baby hitler" thing a setup for a philosophical examination of the implications of time travel, and isn't the right answer that it's impossible and a foolish question?

We may have ended up with Hitler because somebody went back in time and killed somebody else, allowing Hitler to rise to power.

Killing Hitler means that George H. W. Bush probably wasn't a war hero and there's no Jeb! anyway.

Killing Hitler might allow somebody worse (and less crazy) to sieze power, or to allow Stalin to conquer all of Europe.

Etc. It's not a serious question and to express firm conviction on any course of action is an uninformed way of answering the question.

killing baby hitler would probably have resulted in Prescott Bush being crowned Emperor of the American Fascist Empire after his coup against FDR and his dynasty ruling for 1000 years. this is why jeb wants to kill a baby

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Jeb is going to turn killing baby Hitler into a gotcha question.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
You can't kill baby Hitler.

PT6A posted:

That's similar to how it is in the United States, but dividends count towards income. They're calculated after normal income and taxed like capital gains. In normal circumstances, it's not as much of a loophole as it sounds, but for those abnormalities there's the alternative minimum tax that every GOP candidate wants to eliminate.

And C and S corporations paying too little or too much are auditing targets.

emfive posted:

The problem is that by expressing it that way it's not clear that the calculation is based on separate tranches of the income total. The effective percentage tax rate taken as a whole depends on the actual taxable income. A total income just barely above one of the thresholds has an effective tax rate that's considerably lower than that for an AGI towards the upper end of the bracket.

A CEO with a $5,000,000 income pays the same 0% tax rate on the first $10K (or whatever) that a poor person pays (ignoring AMT). And nobody ever gets less net income after taxes by making more money (again, ignoring AMT).
I get what you mean. I'm no CPA so I probably hosed something up, but I went with an effective rate because people misunderstand taxes. In doing so I caused more misunderstanding :v:

Samuel Clemens posted:

They don't pay taxes and give tax breaks to the wrong people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The McCain Graham campaign launched a new ad in New Hampshire today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz27Et1eUeU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Man it's like none of you guys remember the lessons taught to us by Red Alert & Red Alert II

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Necc0 posted:

Man it's like none of you guys remember the lessons taught to us by Red Alert & Red Alert II

Time vvill tell, sooner or later.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Triglav posted:

That's similar to how it is in the United States, but dividends count towards income. They're calculated after normal income and taxed like capital gains. In normal circumstances, it's not as much of a loophole as it sounds, but for those abnormalities there's the alternative minimum tax that every GOP candidate wants to eliminate.

Yeah, same thing here. Dividends are treated specially (it's a fairly convoluted system involving a gross-up and a tax credit, which works out to you paying less than normal income tax) on the personal level, and are only paid out after corporate taxes have been paid. If you calculate it out versus paying yourself in salary instead (in which case it's an expense at the corporate level, so you wouldn't pay corporate income tax on that amount), it turns out that the government collects almost the exact same amount in total regardless of how you do it. It's almost as if.... follow me on this... they planned it that way.

EDIT: I've never understood why people think the IRS (or its equivalent in Canada, the CRA) are incompetent or anything like that. They perform a vital function for government and society to operate, they do it in a brutally effective way, and to be honest, every time I've had to deal with them or ask them questions, they've been extremely pleasant in answering my questions or helping me. Granted, some of those answers result in me paying taxes, interest, or (very rarely) penalties, but that's not their fault. I'm not going to say I love paying taxes (just sent my corporate taxes in this morning, so it's fresh in my mind), but it's a necessary thing that's a part of making money. As my granddad liked to say: "he who pays no taxes has made no money." The first year I actually had to pay corporate tax, after all the expenses were considered, I considered it something to be proud of.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 10, 2015

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

quote:

“When I read about the story in the Wall Street Journal, I immediately said, to my wife and friend, ‘That was the prank we played at the Record! And Ben Carson was in the class,’” said Bakal, who noted he wasn’t actually present during the taking of the fake test. “We did a mock parody of the Yale Daily News during the exam period in January 1970, and in this parody we had a box that said: ‘So-and-so section of the exam has been lost in a fire. Professor so-and-so is going to give a makeup exam.’”

I'm confused, how does he know Ben Carson was in that class?

Andrew Kaczynski posted:

Here's Carson's mother in a 1997 profile of the Ben Carson play saying the stabbing incident happened by the way... pic.twitter.com/WifmQsMJlJ

Which seems to match Carson saying the stabbing incident occurred but was a relative not a friend. Makes sense his mother would know then.

But the snippet of the article says it was a classmate he stabbed.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

agent_wildflower posted:

I'm just thinking of what schoolyard lies in the pre-Googling days kids would tell.

:argh: And no, Eric, you definitely didn't unlock blood graphics in MK for the SNES.

My uncle works at Nintendo

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Killing Baby Hitler means we don't get to spend 70 years rubbing Europe's nose in WE SAVED YER ASSES IN DUBYA DUBYA TWO!!1

Nice going, Jeb.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The McCain Graham campaign launched a new ad in New Hampshire today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz27Et1eUeU
I mean to be fair, he does have a plan to defeat ISIL.

It would mean tens of thousands of US troops being deployed to Iraq and Syria for decades if not permanently, but it's more of a plan than "we'd defeat Putin/Assad/ISIL by being manlier than Obama".

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

emfive posted:

Enh. Pops fought in the Pacific theater, and I don't see Japan's antics in the far east changing substantially even if it hadn't joined the Axis. Not that this isn't counterfactual as balls, of course.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

radical meme posted:

The scandal is he was too naive to realize it was a prank.

His supporters won't care. It's not a scandal if it doesn't hurt him at all.

The timing of this could not be worse for these types of stories. This is happening right after the hissy fit they threw about the "unfair" debates. Then the "liberal media" raises questions about the West Point and Yale stories. Turns out Carson fudged a few details but inserted enough truths in the stories to convince his followers. The fact that Politico had to apologize and change their headline is "proof" that the media is out to get him. This is all feeding into his existing narrative.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

agent_wildflower posted:

you could on Genesis :smug:

Because it does what nintendon't :smuggo:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

emfive posted:

Whoa there buddy, this is the 2016 GOP Primary we're talking about here. Nuance stops at "Hitler."

But as for the "someone else would come along" it's hard to pry apart Hitler's personal animus and determinations of who "enemies of the state" were from the general attitude of Germany at the time. A lot of people were desperate for a way out of Germany's situation at the time, and lingering resentment over losing WWI didn't help. Whether that resentment extended all the way to the holocaust is probably never going to be answered, as would the question of whether someone worse would have shown up, since even trying to puzzle out Stalin's actions in the absence of Hitler gets confounded by his tendency toward a sort of paranoid, purge-happy isolationism before, well, Barbarossa.

Even the invasion of Georgia in like 1921 falls into question because of its prior existence as part of the Russian Empire as well as its independence being seen as a German ploy at kneecapping the glorious soviet revolution. On the other hand, the post-WWII crackdown echoed that invasion in a lot of ways, anti-Western paranoia and all.

In short, Hitler was a bastard and probably should have been aborted but who knows what would have happened as a result.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have we talked about cool and good dude Ben Carson saying stuff to the good people of Puerto Rico?

Article

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson endorsed U.S. statehood for Puerto Rico on Sunday, citing its "very strategic" location for military defense.

Speaking at a convention for Puerto Rican gubernatorial candidate Ricardo Rossello, a member of the island's pro-statehood party, Carson said he "would be incredibly honored and delighted for Puerto Rico to be the 51st state."

"One thing I've found when I have come to Puerto Rico is extremely friendly people," the 64-year-old retired neurosurgeon said, adding that "we have probably more patriotic Puerto Ricans than almost any other state."

Statehood is a central political issue in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory whose two main parties are the pro-statehood PNP and pro-commonwealth PPD, each of which have Democrats and Republicans within their ranks.

The island's fate has also made it onto U.S. presidential candidates' agendas because Puerto Ricans can vote in presidential primaries - though not general elections - and because Florida, a key swing state, is home to nearly 1 million Puerto Ricans.

Carson has found little support among Republicans in Puerto Rico, who mostly favor candidates Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, both of whom have endorsed statehood for the U.S. commonwealth.

Carson called Puerto Rico "very strategically located for the defense of America, right near Cuba."

" :siren: We have the Chinese already coming in and infiltrating the Caribbean, :siren:" he said. "We also have to recognize that we have global jihadists who are trying to destroy us. We need unity."

Carson, neck and neck with Donald Trump atop Republican polls, spoke for about five minutes without addressing recent headline-grabbing allegations that he misrepresented facts surrounding a scholarship offer to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and fabricated details of a violent exchange with a friend as a child.

Those supporting statehood reason that inclusion for Puerto Rico in the U.S. would provide equal treatment on issues like federal Medicaid and Medicare reimbursements, while those against are wary of risking the island's independence and cultural identity.

With Puerto Rico facing a $72 billion debt load and a roughly 45 percent poverty rate, Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla of the pro-commonwealth Popular Democratic Party, faces historically low approval ratings and strong challenges in next year's election from statehood candidates such as Rossello and Puerto Rico Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi.

Carson's trip to Puerto Rico was seen as an effort to push himself onto the agenda there.

A person close to Rossello's campaign told Reuters on Saturday that Carson was not invited by the campaign, but sought to be allowed to speak in the days leading up to the rally.

Indeed, Rossello's rally was an unexpected choice for Carson. Rossello is a Democrat, and his running mate, Puerto Rican House minority leader Jenniffer Gonzalez, is a Republican who supports Bush.

Rossello, 36, has lit a fire in some voters with a zealous, energetic and youthful persona. He is the son of former Puerto Rico Governor Pedro Rossello, who governed in the 1990s during relatively prosperous times.

This is all great news... for Jeb!!!

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

fade5 posted:

I mean to be fair, he does have a plan to defeat ISIL.

It would mean tens of thousands of US troops being deployed to Iraq and Syria for decades if not permanently, but it's more of a plan than "we'd defeat Putin/Assad/ISIL by being manlier than Obama".

Invest in defense contractors today! Get in on the ground floor!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

seriously

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No one's even quoting the best part of Bush Baby Hitler, which is that he explains the problem with going back and changing history is that, as we know from Back to the Future, it could have a disastrous effect on everything else. Dude's such a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

would hitler go forward in time to kill baby jeb? would history change? food for thought

• Locked thread