Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kesper North posted:

Spoiler alert: Stross is not a very pervy writer; he tends to use sex more to illustrate a point than anything, and only when needed in service to the story. That's why the whole cover fiasco was so loving ridiculous and he was so pissed about it.

Though the cover is also a callback to the cover of the novel he is semi-parodying with Saturn's Children: Friday by Robert Heinlein.

One particular bit of the book really got to me the whole lead-up with Lindy the gas sack space transport, I suspected where that was going almost immediately and yep, she's 'disposable' and dies at the end of the trip I don't know if I'm just sentimental but that's some dark poo poo, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

WarLocke posted:

One particular bit of the book really got to me the whole lead-up with Lindy the gas sack space transport, I suspected where that was going almost immediately and yep, she's 'disposable' and dies at the end of the trip I don't know if I'm just sentimental but that's some dark poo poo, gently caress.

The mistreatment of certain classes of robot society is a theme throughout the book. Also, it kinda makes sense that robots that were originally designed as commodities for humans would have a different attitude towards death.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kesper North posted:

The mistreatment of certain classes of robot society is a theme throughout the book. Also, it kinda makes sense that robots that were originally designed as commodities for humans would have a different attitude towards death.

That particular example had nothing to do with humans though, I'm pretty sure Freya even has an inner monologue about how her Creators could never travel in that fashion. It was straight-up designed as one-use robot transportation and still given a consciousness and personality.

I'm liking the book, it's just stuff like that were the robots are intentionally going out of their way to be shits to each other gets me in the gut. Definitely fits the narrative, but still uncomfortable to contemplate (which, I gather, is the point).

Only about a third through but I suspect the twist will be that the 'pink goo' Freya is smuggling for Jeeves is an egg/biological creche of some type and the long game is to somehow bring back/re-engineer humanity

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I remember my first exposure to Stross was Glasshouse and Accelerando and loved them! The Laundry Files aren't bad, but I wish he'd go back to weird hard sci-fi.

Also I don't remember who recommended it, but I read Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits and really didn't like it. I got it because John Dies At The End and This Book Is Full of Spiders were decent pulpy reads, but FVaFS just felt really lazy. I guess if you liked Kingsman you'd like FVaFS -- I feel like they both pursue spectacle at the cost of characterization while throwing off some platitudes about classicism that are immediately contradicted by the text.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I'm liking the book, it's just stuff like that were the robots are intentionally going out of their way to be shits to each other gets me in the gut. Definitely fits the narrative, but still uncomfortable to contemplate (which, I gather, is the point).

It is basically a study in how Asimov was a monster and the Three Laws are science fiction's greatest crime.

The short story about the interstellar expedition really drives that home.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

pseudorandom name posted:

It is basically a study in how Asimov was a monster and the Three Laws are science fiction's greatest crime.

The short story about the interstellar expedition really drives that home.

This is your reminder that pretty much every Asimov robot story was about how the Three Laws didn't work and led to wildly unintended consequences. I don't think it's possible to read his stories as saying that programming robots with the Three Laws is an awesome and morally correct thing to do.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Especially because the later stories with Giskard and Daneel are all about them having to transcend the Three Laws in order to do the right thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Off the space opera subject, but roboticist Mark W. Tilden re-wrote the three laws of robotics to something more realistic, and scarier if you worry about AIs. I always thought that if I wrote a story involving robots/AI someday, I'd make sure to reference these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilden%27s_Laws_of_Robotics

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Finished Saturn's Children last night; the last third got pretty insane.I kind of like that the whole climax of the story is Freya deciding "Nah, gently caress this, I'm out" which is a nice culmination of the self-determination thread running through the narrative (not sure what the rules are on older book spoilers, figured I'd play safe).

Then I sat down and read through Bit Rot real quick. It was nice seeing that Freya had a 'happy ending' but I'm not sure I caught the meaning of the rest of it. 'Space is deadly, even for robots'? It was engaging and snappy, just kind of depressing.

Started Neptune's Brood but it's not quite catching me the same way. Gonna set it to the side while I read the last Kresnov book, and maybe Foundation (since I recently realized I have never read those books, shame on me) after...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Off the space opera subject, but roboticist Mark W. Tilden re-wrote the three laws of robotics to something more realistic, and scarier if you worry about AIs. I always thought that if I wrote a story involving robots/AI someday, I'd make sure to reference these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilden%27s_Laws_of_Robotics

The true laws of robotics will probably be something along the line of:

1. Determine target
2. Determine if target is hostile
3. Shoot hostile

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

1. Determine target
2. Determine if target is hostile
3. Shoot hostile

4. Engage targeted advertising routine.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Declare is a legit classic.
I'm like 40% through. When the gently caress is he going to loving tell me what the gently caress happened on loving (not really a spoiler, it turns up in like the first 5 pages) Mt. Ararat

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Towards the end, IIRC. Understanding what they did there ties in to a lot of other stuff in the plot.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Towards the end, IIRC. Understanding what they did there ties in to a lot of other stuff in the plot.

Yeah, I think it's in the last part of the book, but it does get explained.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I finished Nemesis Games last night, and while I really enjoyed it and how they switched it up, I agree with other people who've said the end of the book was a bit odd. All this stuff was built up, but then it just ended in the middle of everything. I understand it's book 5 of 9 or whatever, but I don't remember feeling a lack of resolution in the previous 4 books.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So, the Vorkosigan Saga books. I see them recommended fairly often, so I'm gonna start on them.

Checking wikipedia though, apparently the publication order is not the same as the chronological order? Should I start with Falling Free or Shards of Honor?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

So, the Vorkosigan Saga books. I see them recommended fairly often, so I'm gonna start on them.

Checking wikipedia though, apparently the publication order is not the same as the chronological order? Should I start with Falling Free or Shards of Honor?
I am about halfway through the saga and have read them chronologically, but Falling Free is really a stand alone book, that so far has only been referenced once or twice. Apparently there is a novel later on that takes place in quaddie space, but it's definitely not a "must read first" book.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Either start with Shards or the first Miles book, The Warrior Apprentice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Falling Free is absolutely nothing at all like the rest of the Vorkosigan books; it's set in the same universe but that's the only connection.

Start with Shards of Honor, I would say. It's not the greatest, but I think that it helps set the stage for The Warrior's Apprentice pretty well. If you have a thing for chronological order you can go to Barrayar after Shards, but Warrior's Apprentice is the start of the Miles books and the Miles books are where the series goes from "eh" to "awesome".

You can also start with Warrior's Apprentice if you don't mind missing out on some worldbuilding things.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Khizan posted:

Falling Free is absolutely nothing at all like the rest of the Vorkosigan books; it's set in the same universe but that's the only connection.

Start with Shards of Honor, I would say. It's not the greatest, but I think that it helps set the stage for The Warrior's Apprentice pretty well. If you have a thing for chronological order you can go to Barrayar after Shards

Shards and Barrayar are also most easily available as an omnibus volume these days, so it makes less sense to skip Barrayar (which was also written a few years later and shows a more practiced author).

Basic recommendation: Start with either Shards/Barrayar, or The Warrior's Apprentice. In the latter case, you should backfill on Shards/Barrayar no later than before you get to A Civil Campaign (if for no other reason than getting a few references about stuff like "shopping with Cordelia").

After that, either publication order or internal chronology is fine. The most important points is that Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance and Memory should go in that order, and Memory should be read before anything that comes after it.

Oh yes, and Ethan of Athos is kinda optional, being the side-quest adventure of someone in the supporting cast.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I've never got past the first chapter of Falling Free, but Ethan of Athos is a fun read that you shouldn't skip.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Khizan posted:

Start with Shards of Honor, I would say. It's not the greatest, but I think that it helps set the stage for The Warrior's Apprentice pretty well. If you have a thing for chronological order you can go to Barrayar after Shards, but Warrior's Apprentice is the start of the Miles books and the Miles books are where the series goes from "eh" to "awesome".

Actually the series goes to awesome when Cordelia dumps the usurper's head out of a shopping bag in the middle of a high-level military conference.

So I say start no later than Barrayar, because Miles is a hell of a lot more plausible when you consider who his mother was.

Falling Free and Ethan of Athos are both fun reads, good character novels, and good SF. But they aren't mainstream in the series; EoA can be skipped, but FF is useful for a later Miles book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a thing I copy pasted ages ago when I first got interested in reading the Vorkosigan books:

quote:

Ideal reading order by omnibus

This is the easiest, cheapest and best-recommended way of reading the series, a couple of oddities aside. 'Labyrinth' appears twice for some reason and Falling Free (the earliest-set novel) is thrown rather randomly into the middle of the series, but beyond that it's fairly straightforward. It should be noted that Captain Vorpatril's Alliance and Cryoburnare only available as single novels at the moment, although it is assumed that at some point in the future Baen will collect them together. Memory will apparently remain a stand-alone novel due to its position as the biggest gamechanger in the series to date and the thematic awkwardness of combining it with other works.

• Cordelia's Honour (Shards of Honour, 'Aftermaths', Barrayar)
• Young Miles (The Warrior's Apprentice, 'The Mountains of Mourning', The Vor Game)
• Miles, Mystery and Mayhem (Cetaganda, Ethan of Athos, 'Labyrinth')
• Miles Errant ('Borders of Infinity', Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance)
• Memory (not part of an omnibus)
• Miles, Mutants and Microbes (Falling Free, 'Labyrinth', Diplomatic Immunity)
• Miles in Love (Komarr, A Civil Campaign, 'Winterfair Gifts')
• Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (not yet part of an omnibus)
• Cryoburn (not yet part of an omnibus)

It's from a blog called The Wertzone, so if you want to read the full post just google "wertzone vorkosigan" or something, you're smart, you know how the internet works

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

Actually the series goes to awesome when Cordelia

That's the "shopping" bit, yes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I say start with Warriors Apprentice. He's more of a compelling character and it feels like a more natural introduction to the series. Cordelia and her adventurous past is a more fun read after you've been thoroughly introduced to her other sides during the Miles series. I found Shards (and especially Barrayar) a bit simple and tropy the first time I read them. They work better as a "historical account".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The only thing I would say is close to essential when reading Vorkosigan - hell, probably IS essential - is this:

Everything published before Memory = read before Memory.
Everything published after Memory = read after Memory.

That said, I would suggest publication order or Bujold's suggested reading order; I don't think you can go wrong with either because she's very good at making books stand alone. The fact is, almost everyone who likes Vorkosigan read everything and is desperate for more (next book Feb 2016!)

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Brothers in Arms has to be before Mirror Dance.
Warrior's Apprentice has to be before The Vor Game.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
So I just finished all the Laundry Files by Stross, is there any Cthulhu in space?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Washout posted:

So I just finished all the Laundry Files by Stross, is there any Cthulhu in space?

I haven't read it, but I know there is an anthology book called "Future Lovecraft" and some of the stories are set on space ships and colony planets. Not sure if Cthulhu is in any of them. As far as I know, that's the only space-set Lovecraftian work (and that is a concept I've always wanted to see more of).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, it's close enough to space opera that I think it's worth posting my review of this book here as well:

Solar Express by L. E. Modesitt Jr. A sci-fi novel by an author mostly known for fantasy, but Solar Express is my favorite kind of first contact story: one without any aliens whatsoever as humanity encounters an artifact that defies our understanding of science, and the majority of the story focuses on the humans trying to piece together what they can. Everything dealing with the discovery and exploration of the artifact is good, but the bulk of the story rests on the relationship between the protagonists - a relationship that falls flat in my opinion, as both protagonists are very flat characters who don't grow or change over the course of the book. The other major story beat, one of international tension and crisis between Earth governments in response to the discovery, is if anything even less interesting. The bad guy of the book is sci-fi China, which proceeds to go down a checklist of villain stereotypes without ever providing a hint of motivation or characterization beyond "bad guys."

It's not an actively bad read, and the regular interjections of media news stories helps flesh out the setting a little better, but I regret buying this in hardback. The end of the book also hints at some weirdness that makes me wonder if Modesitt isn't coyly hinting at this book being related to one of his other series.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There's typically no Lovecraft-in-space because there's nothing that can protect you from that which lives between the stars.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

There's typically no Lovecraft-in-space because there's nothing that can protect you from that which lives between the stars.
No-one can hear you scream. That's why it's vital to record audio and video logs, write reports, and scratch your final words into the walls or write them with your entrails. ("What I don't understand is why he went to the trouble of using his kidney as a full stop." "I don't think he meant to do that. It probably just plopped out.")

Peter Watts' Blindsight and Echopraxia count. Charlie Stross has a story the name of which I can't remember, involving an ekranoplan.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

chrisoya posted:

No-one can hear you scream. That's why it's vital to record audio and video logs, write reports, and scratch your final words into the walls or write them with your entrails. ("What I don't understand is why he went to the trouble of using his kidney as a full stop." "I don't think he meant to do that. It probably just plopped out.")

Ahh, Kryten :3:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

chrisoya posted:

Peter Watts' Blindsight and Echopraxia count. Charlie Stross has a story the name of which I can't remember, involving an ekranoplan.
He has two short stories featuring ekranoplans, one of which is (sort of) in space and the other that is (sort of) Lovecraftian.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missile Gap is the one that comes to mind... I don't think it's all that Lovecraftian, but I loved the concept and setting.

Actually, his short story "A Colder War" is also kind of Lovecraft-in-space, since it's set in an alternate world where Cthulhu is a Soviet WMD that accidentally gets released and the Reagan administration are the only survivors of Earth, living on a base on another planet accessed through one of the portals from The Dreams in the Witch House.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Khizan posted:

Brothers in Arms has to be before Mirror Dance.
Warrior's Apprentice has to be before The Vor Game.

Barrayar is before A Civil Campaign, Cryburn, and Diplomatic Immunity. In fact, don't touch anything after Memory until you're ready to run through them in order.

Memory is a favorite, so many good character moments.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"You should read them in publication order" is what we're saying, really.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Actually, what we (or at least I) am saying is to go with Bujolds suggested reading order (pretty much internal chronological order), but use the Warriors Apprentice entry-point and go back and read the Cordelia books once you're in love with the series.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm a third into Shards of Honor and enjoying it enough, though. Once I'm finished this would you recommend I finish the whole omnibus (also contains Aftermaths and Barrayar), or go onto Warrior's Apprentice and then come back later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Eh, it's close enough to space opera that I think it's worth posting my review of this book here as well:

Solar Express by L. E. Modesitt Jr. A sci-fi novel by an author mostly known for fantasy, but Solar Express is my favorite kind of first contact story: one without any aliens whatsoever as humanity encounters an artifact that defies our understanding of science, and the majority of the story focuses on the humans trying to piece together what they can. Everything dealing with the discovery and exploration of the artifact is good, but the bulk of the story rests on the relationship between the protagonists - a relationship that falls flat in my opinion, as both protagonists are very flat characters who don't grow or change over the course of the book. The other major story beat, one of international tension and crisis between Earth governments in response to the discovery, is if anything even less interesting. The bad guy of the book is sci-fi China, which proceeds to go down a checklist of villain stereotypes without ever providing a hint of motivation or characterization beyond "bad guys."

It's not an actively bad read, and the regular interjections of media news stories helps flesh out the setting a little better, but I regret buying this in hardback. The end of the book also hints at some weirdness that makes me wonder if Modesitt isn't coyly hinting at this book being related to one of his other series.

This book was weirdly different in theme and style to almost all his other works, Scifi and Fantasy. I still enjoyed it, but it read like it was ghostwritten.

• Locked thread