Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My parents had a Trans Sport when I was a kid, it had an automatic door which was the coolest. Then my dad blew the transmission because he was always hauling bricks and lumber and other crap.

Then the whole 90's mid life manliness thing took over where everyone was buying Dodge Rams and growing goatees like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Sappo569 posted:

What's that little display on the top left ?

Looks like a glide slope or something from a plane

That's a digital compass, actually. GM used that same display in many of their vehicles around that time. Pretty cool as long as they were calibrated properly; most weren't.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Root Bear posted:

That's a digital compass, actually. GM used that same display in many of their vehicles around that time. Pretty cool as long as they were calibrated properly; most weren't.

:krad:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

At least it died how all Ferrari's die, on fire.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Alighieri posted:

At least it died how all Ferrari's die, on fire.

Also almost assuredly they will fix that car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

How does that work anyway? If you repair a car that's been on fire, the heat from the fire will most likely have annealed the steel. Car panels are obviously not heat treated, but the welding and stamping processes do harden the steel to some extent, adding strength. If that is lost due to heating will the chassis even be safe to drive anymore, assuming they can repair everything else?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

How does that work anyway? If you repair a car that's been on fire, the heat from the fire will most likely have annealed the steel. Car panels are obviously not heat treated, but the welding and stamping processes do harden the steel to some extent, adding strength. If that is lost due to heating will the chassis even be safe to drive anymore, assuming they can repair everything else?

They basically Ferrari of Theseus away the damaged parts, retaining just enough that it can be legally called the same vehicle (basically the serial number plate).

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

FogHelmut posted:

My parents had a Trans Sport when I was a kid, it had an automatic door which was the coolest.

Automatic doors are truly terrible car stuff in my book. Newer Honda Odysseys have them standard. Let me just flip this switch and wait forever for these doors to open when I could have just opened them manually in 1/10 of the time. Or how about I change my mind halfway through opening; I can just hit the switch, wait 1 second for it to stop, hit the switch again, it keeps opening because I hit it again too fast, hit the switch, wait 3 seconds for it to stop, hit the switch, wait for it to close.

But the best is that there's a remote switch, so I can hit the switch at the same time the driver hits the remote switch as a courtesy, the door starts opening and then stops after 1 second, and then I have to hit the switch again and hope that the driver hasn't hit their remote switch again as well, wait for the door to close, hit the switch again for it to open...

On the other hand, the automatic hatch is the best thing and that's only because you can still operate it manually.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 8, 2015

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I've never seen an automatic car door that you can't operate manually. Sometimes they complain half a sec, but that's it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Unreal_One posted:

I've never seen an automatic car door that you can't operate manually. Sometimes they complain half a sec, but that's it.

The hatch on our Escape is automatic, and I hate it. If you lift it or lower it manually, it makes the most horrible god drat noises.

But I can open it with my arms full just using a foot, so I got that going for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

Trust a German to make it as complex as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

Trust a German to make it as complex as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

Not only complex, but missing things we've had in cars for the past 50 years

Truly the future of automobiles

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Sappo569 posted:

What's that little display on the top left ?

Looks like a glide slope or something from a plane

Late but its volume. Faded by 20+ years of hand lotion obv.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Parked in front of a vape shop, because of course it was. Pardon the photo quality, I took them through my side window.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

Late but its volume. Faded by 20+ years of hand lotion obv.

You have left and right mixed up. Somebody pointed out it's a digital compass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Night Danger Moose posted:

Parked in front of a vape shop, because of course it was. Pardon the photo quality, I took them through my side window.

This is particularly funny because I think of that as a Toyota ist, favourite ride for elderly Asian women.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

For a second I thought that was a PT Cruiser

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

iwentdoodie posted:

The hatch on our Escape is automatic, and I hate it. If you lift it or lower it manually, it makes the most horrible god drat noises.

But I can open it with my arms full just using a foot, so I got that going for me.

I tolerate the auto hatch, but there's just no way to use it manually. I hated it until I gave up and accepted it was a fully hands off affair.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The power sliding doors in my Grand Caravan have an on/off switch that allows you to open them manually (while still activating them from the keyfob) it is never set to "on" on my vehicle.

It also has a power lift gate that I thought you could manually override, but since the drive chain is hanging outside of the wall panels because it broke I may have been wrong about that.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Jonny Nox posted:

The power sliding doors in my Grand Caravan have an on/off switch that allows you to open them manually (while still activating them from the keyfob) it is never set to "on" on my vehicle.

It also has a power lift gate that I thought you could manually override, but since the drive chain is hanging outside of the wall panels because it broke I may have been wrong about that.

I have a Town and Country, and I don't think the sliding doors care if you open them manually, whether that switch is on or off. Best part is that if you slide them closed and only half-rear end it, they'll cinch themselves the rest of the way in. As for the rear door, I think it opens on just the gas strut when you pull it by hand, which is way slower than just using the button. I'm way too paranoid to try and force it to go faster.

I like the power doors because I just park and hit all the buttons, so all the doors are open by the time I get out and get to them.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The newest T&C I've ever been in was an '03-'04ish, whichever one just got the stow and go seating. No power doors, no power hatch, stow and go seats, OEM 6-CD in-dash, captains chairs first two rows... It was basically perfect aside from being a Chrysler (its air conditioner failed by the time it was 3 years old and everything else was following)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want, no, need to see that thing try to go over a speed bump.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The other day I saw a lifted ford escape on big offroad tires. And it was FWD. Almost took a picture.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are you saying that FWD cars can't handle unpaved roads? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

With all that racket I expected it to come tearing around the corner with a lot more gusto.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Someone says something to that effect every time that clip gets posted, it's hilarious.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Holy poo poo that thing is slow. And yes I understand that you don't need 4wd for a lot of stuff but I'm taking about what is basically a focus on like 31" tires.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

jamal posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is slow. And yes I understand that you don't need 4wd for a lot of stuff but I'm taking about what is basically a focus on like 31" tires.
Sounds pretty badass imo. I would drive that focus.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's probably just on bags and parked at its lowest setting. I test drove a bagged WRX and when it's parked it's completely slammed.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I have a feeling it would be very expensive...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Crosspost from General Bullshit 2: On The Move › Millennial.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8V1EZNI8A&t=710s

I'll let you all discover the terrible car stuff slowly...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It took me a second.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jamal posted:

I'd drive the poo poo out of that

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sappo569 posted:

I'll let you all discover the terrible car stuff slowly...

What the hell?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

It's actually more like a Mazda 626.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Its got a kind of modernized baja bug thing going on, I kinda like it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Daihatsu Fourtrak/Rocky/Rugger chassis underneath, I approve.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

On a colleague's car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ormy posted:

On a colleague's car.

Would be better on an MR2 Spyder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR