Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Node posted:

I don't think you'd ever want to pick a military idea first since the first few technologies that give military tactics and morale are so much more important.

I did luck out with a 6 mil starting ruler and plan on reelecting military rulers til I'm caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I mean it's the same deal as Prestige. If you snag +2.0/year Prestige from conquering Jerusalem and Mecca or NIs or whatever, your Prestige will decay toward a baseline of 40.

The difference is that Army Tradition is hard to generate as a large empire, so passive bonuses like those from Defensive and Quality are really sexy. Prestige is easy to produce.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pellisworth posted:

I mean it's the same deal as Prestige. If you snag +2.0/year Prestige from conquering Jerusalem and Mecca or NIs or whatever, your Prestige will decay toward a baseline of 40.

The difference is that Army Tradition is hard to generate as a large empire, so passive bonuses like those from Defensive and Quality are really sexy. Prestige is easy to produce.

I miss the good old days of innovative essentially being the best military idea set, when you could have a baseline of 100% AT as Prussia(And a lot of other countries) with ease.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

I miss the good old days of innovative essentially being the best military idea set, when you could have a baseline of 100% AT as Prussia(And a lot of other countries) with ease.

On the other hand, Lucky nations don't seem so ridiculous with their god-generals, so the AT sword cuts both ways (in addition to Lucky bonuses no longer giving +1 Shock and Fire :v:)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

It is possible to convert any province from any religion, the only problem is most countries start the game with very weak missionaries, a few have national ideas that come later that increase missionary strength.

Speaking of, which countries would folks say are the best at conversion? Doesn't have to be Christianity, but best ones for going on a crusade?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bel Monte posted:

Speaking of, which countries would folks say are the best at conversion? Doesn't have to be Christianity, but best ones for going on a crusade?

Muslims or Orthodox probably. I once tallied up the various missionary strength bonuses, most religons can get ballpark 4-5% from your religion-specific stuff.

Edit: Hindus aren't eligible for Defender of the Faith last I played so that makes them a close second.

Edit2: missionary strength is important but number of missionaries even moreso.

Protestantism is also good but then you have to deal with the Reformation which can be a bit of a pain in the dick.

Coptic ain't half bad.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 10, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Node posted:

I don't think you'd ever want to pick a military idea first since the first few technologies that give military tactics and morale are so much more important.

It depends on your ruler. That's certainly the advice I give to new players, but you can get away with doing it if you know what you're doing and you have a strong military ruler, which as a Republic you can be sure you do. That said, the situations where you'd really want to are pretty limited (none spring to mind really), and to reiterate, as Switzerland I'd go Humanist first anyway.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Stop. You are doing words wrong.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I believe the correct word is antimaliuses.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Once the League wars have passed (in my case, despite me as mega-Byzantium and mega-Commonwealth all supporting the Protestants, they didn't have the balls to fight a war, so the Diet was passed), is there any way to reverse that or get other electors into play? One of my favorite things to do as Byzantium prior to the 30 years war stuff was to force-convert a bunch of electors to Orthodox and get myself elected Emperor, but that doesn't seem to be possible given the new rules. Any loopholes (short of converting to Catholic) I can find to sneak my way in as Emperor, or am I just going to have to disband the whole thing out of spite?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Palleon posted:

Once the League wars have passed (in my case, despite me as mega-Byzantium and mega-Commonwealth all supporting the Protestants, they didn't have the balls to fight a war, so the Diet was passed), is there any way to reverse that or get other electors into play? One of my favorite things to do as Byzantium prior to the 30 years war stuff was to force-convert a bunch of electors to Orthodox and get myself elected Emperor, but that doesn't seem to be possible given the new rules. Any loopholes (short of converting to Catholic) I can find to sneak my way in as Emperor, or am I just going to have to disband the whole thing out of spite?

Once a diet has been passed, a league has won religious dominance, or the Peace of Westphalia has been signed, it is final.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

I believe the correct word is antimaliuses.

antimaliises

Palleon posted:

There are three possible outcomes to the League Wars,

Protestant/Catholic Empire declared, empire can only be Protestant/Catholic
Peace of Westphalia, religious free for all

If no one fought for the Protestants and the Empire defaulted to Catholic, you're poo poo outta luck unfortunately. The Emperor can only be Catholic in that case.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

antimaliises

Which declination is that?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

Which declination is that?

third person plural facetious

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Palleon posted:

:moments:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pellisworth posted:

Muslims or Orthodox probably. I once tallied up the various missionary strength bonuses, most religons can get ballpark 4-5% from your religion-specific stuff.

Edit: Hindus aren't eligible for Defender of the Faith last I played so that makes them a close second.

Edit2: missionary strength is important but number of missionaries even moreso.

Protestantism is also good but then you have to deal with the Reformation which can be a bit of a pain in the dick.

Coptic ain't half bad.

Kingdom of Jerusalem gets +2% missionary strength and +1 missionary plus +2 yearly papal Influence so you can rock +3 stability forever.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
One thing that bugs me is that the Spread the Revolution CB doesn't actually let you spread the revolution. It's conquer the traditional way, just a lot easier.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

One thing that bugs me is that the Spread the Revolution CB doesn't actually let you spread the revolution. It's conquer the traditional way, just a lot easier.

It's very counterintuitive. It really ought to have a force religion-style option where if the total warscore cost is low enough you can replace whatever monarchy with a revolutionary republic.

I realize that this would take very little time to cover the world in revolutionary republics, but it would be extremely funny once.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Prop Wash posted:

It's very counterintuitive. It really ought to have a force religion-style option where if the total warscore cost is low enough you can replace whatever monarchy with a revolutionary republic.

I realize that this would take very little time to cover the world in revolutionary republics, but it would be extremely funny once.
Eh, not if the AI didn't always do it. Like, if it made it so that you would still gobble up little targets, but could impose a revolutionary republic on large ones for ~80% warscore or something, that'd be neat.

And secondary revolutionary republics wouldn't get the fantastic revolution target bonuses, so it wouldn't necessarily domino.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 10, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

Technically you're spreading the revolution by taking territories and adding them to your revolution.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spread the Revolution is already there.

It is called force-vassalization.

And client-states.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bel Monte posted:

it's not a crusade so much as a jihad, but... najd

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Should I go Protestant or Reformed for Switzerland? I'm (slowly) expanding into Italy (goddamn is that a lot of development) and plan on mostly being a land power with some meddling in Med trade if I get good ports.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Should I go Protestant or Reformed for Switzerland? I'm (slowly) expanding into Italy (goddamn is that a lot of development) and plan on mostly being a land power with some meddling in Med trade if I get good ports.
Protestant is better. More versatile. Plus one of the aspects of faith can give +.1 republican tradition.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Client states are a better representation of what Revolutionary France actually did, than doing a forced government change. Conquered territories were partitioned and reorganized according to France's whims rather than respecting the old boundaries and borders.

Would be cool if Revolutionary Republics could release client states without it counting as a dip relation, but that'd probably be OP as gently caress.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any tricks to joining the HRE as Poland? I'm for some reason on a kick of trying to do the HRE as weird nations.

Releasing Galacia only gets me down to 143 total development, and there aren't any other provinces I can just release as separate nations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rakthar posted:

Ok so fighting all the time you have an AT of 50.

No, if you fight all the time with +2.5 yearly AT, you'll have significantly more than 50 AT. 50 AT is how much you'll have if you don't fight at all. If you can somehow get +5 yearly AT, then your AT will naturally rest at 100 even if you never fight a single battle. That's how good yearly AT is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not good at boats. In the early game the other major powers around me seem to be fielding these massive fleets of heavy warships, but there's no way that my meager income can handle both building and maintaining a big fleet of those huge ships. What gives? I feel like I need to have a ton of light ships protecting trade just to eek out a +5 ducats/month

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Hi, I'd like some advice on a game I'm playing in Multiplayer, where the players all are RL friends besides me and seem to be playing a 'co-operative' style game. I'm now stuck in a war between Milan and USA over my (Britain) colonies in North America and I dont really have the power to fight them both, but my navy > theirs. What should I do?

Link to some stats caps for better picture of general situation

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396675411369269559/E78F9BFB4B0E0044F41C9EF2E93E451689841A75/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396675411369269946/84AB90EDC2E83986F586D3C09F43BF24508CF248/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396675411369269824/A1196B7D85D75EB617615DCF2A86ED5715912AA3/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396675411369269693/76E4917E7C4C7ED1363DD361DF2D0DE0DDB6C594/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396675411369269427/AB058E74569088316369857858613791304E769E/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/396675411369269275/3C0A54968E286873A8B3490005360024AEF4425D/

The issue is primarily, I'm sick and tired of their hugboxing play and forcing me to play nice, so I'm inclined to go destroy them one at a time, but am unsure as to how to do so.

I intend to damage Milan and cripple the US and hopefully finish the war (which has been 5 years and ongoing already) without drawing any of the other human players like Bohemia and Netherlands in. Does that make me unreasonable? should I concede North America instead and play nice?

Any advice on the issue would be greatly appreciated

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 10, 2015

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not good at boats. In the early game the other major powers around me seem to be fielding these massive fleets of heavy warships, but there's no way that my meager income can handle both building and maintaining a big fleet of those huge ships. What gives? I feel like I need to have a ton of light ships protecting trade just to eek out a +5 ducats/month

Just guessing since I don't know your situation. Heavy Boats are now much more expensive to build and maintain than before, but are pretty much the killer in combat. In the early game 10-20 with a good admiral should be more than enough for most unless you're England, Spain, Portugal.

Light ships are really only good at concentrating trade power to pull trade or solidfying control over your own node when you have significant competition. You should build trade buildings in your COT nodes instead and use 10-20 ships to pull/collect trade. Try to also chain your merchants to maximize income.

Hope that helps

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Are there any tricks to joining the HRE as Poland? I'm for some reason on a kick of trying to do the HRE as weird nations.

Releasing Galacia only gets me down to 143 total development, and there aren't any other provinces I can just release as separate nations.

You will probably have to sell off quite a few of your provinces to your vassals to get it done.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I might have found a nice opener for the Ottos or I lucked out, I am not sure which.
- "City of the worlds desire" mission
- DoW Albania
- Fabricate on Ragusa, Byzantium, Athens
- 2nd Claim on Byzantium, Claim on the Serbian coastal province
If Serbia and Bosnia allied either Byz and or Ragusa continue, if not restart until you can DoW both Serbia and Bosnia via Ragusa/Byz

Then you conquer Byz, Athens, Ragusa, coastal province from Serbia and as many Catholic provinces from Bosnia as you want (watch your AE)
- Take the decision to move your capital
- mothball all forts
- set missionary maintenance to 0% and start converting Ragusa
- decrease autonomy on every catholic province
- send your army to retake your cores in Anatolia
- when the Catholic rebels spawn in Ragusa, move the missionary to the next Catholic province until that rebels,

I got 4 Rebel stacks going and was a Catholic Ottoman empire by 1453, because I took all my Anatolian cores the rebels converted everything on the other side of the Bosborus including Constantinople (high dev so hard to convert, thanks rebels!)

Last time I did this via Sidon it took me way longer, so this seems to be he better strategy, it does depend on the right alliances forming 2 years into the game.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

deathbagel posted:

You will probably have to sell off quite a few of your provinces to your vassals to get it done.

I think it can be done with three of the richer provinces near Galacia. It puts you exactly at 100 development.
You need to be careful though, selling provinces tanks your prestige and if it's still negative when your ruler dies, your PU over Lithuania breaks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You really need Bohemia to pick up the Imperial crown in the first couple months. Then you can join pretty much with exactly what you start with.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the effect improved forts have on your yearly gain. I think the formula assumes all your forts are up to date, so when the second level of forts are available your yearly gain will be halved. Keeping +1 from forts has never been possible for me in the later game, but I can usually manage it until the second level opens up.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sell your non-polish provinces to Moldavia, some of your polish provinces to Mazovia, join the HRE, conquer the TO, change capital to a Prussian province, culture shift, form the Commonwealth, form Prussia, unify the HRE, laugh.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Sell your non-polish provinces to Moldavia, some of your polish provinces to Mazovia, join the HRE, conquer the TO, change capital to a Prussian province, culture shift, form the Commonwealth, form Prussia, unify the HRE, laugh.

That would be completely ludicrous if you pulled it off. A country with Prussian ideas that covers half of Europe :eyepop:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Got started as Bengal and didn't declare a suicidal war right at the start and I've been looking at what idea groups to get. Obviously Admin but Humanist look like it would stack really nicely with the national ideas. But I've no idea what diplo groups to get. Exploration is pretty strong but it's also pretty boring after picked it up every single time I've started outside Europe and most times I played in the glorious western tech group. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, why does Bengal only have 25% religious unity despite that 100% of their provinces follow the same religion? :v:

uninverted posted:

That would be completely ludicrous if you pulled it off. A country with Prussian ideas that covers half of Europe :eyepop:
Isn't that how it usually ends?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

uninverted posted:

Meh. Polish ideas aren't all that much weaker. Also you can enforce lots of PUs with elective Monarchie which I think you loose if you form Prussia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm convinced that I don't really like the army tradition mechanic at all. It's kind of like prestige, but you only really get it with certain idea groups. The bonuses it provides are buried in tooltips and in stronger generals. But the same idea groups that give more army tradition also give explicit bonuses to the same things AT affects in a more straightforward way. It's just weird.

I've also never been a fan for all of eu4's existence of the army/navy to leader ratio. I like having my armies and navies under someone's command, but the penalty for going over the soft leader cap is harsh. While I'm complaining, I might as well say I don't like instant stack wipes either. Lots of the mechanics around combat still seem like bad relics from eu3 and earlier.

• Locked thread