Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

axleblaze posted:

Mischief Makers was an amazing game that unfortunately was pretty much custom made for the N64 controller making it really hard to put on anything else.

it's also the one game to use the D-Pad and L button on the N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

limaCAT posted:

Sega needs to make Sonic Generations with only modern looking stages and with only front/back sections (no side sections).

I read somewhere that with that style of gameplay they've run into the issue of it being extremely inefficient from a design perspective, since they have to make massive levels just to accommodate a minute or two of gameplay, which is why those games were all really short even with a bunch of padding in the form of side-missions and 2D sections,.

Plus as far as I can tell they've given up on the IP and farm out the duty of making Sonic-brand shovelware to other companies now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sonic in 2015

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Motto posted:

Sonic in 2015

4 different typefaces in the logo... :ughh:

gotta stay on-brand

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

4 different typefaces in the logo... :ughh:

gotta stay on-brand

I find it hilarious that it couldn't just be a crossover with Angry Birds, it had to be with a specific gimmick version of angry birds.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 10, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
To be fair to MGS5 Japanese guy, the story is pretty trashy even by MGS standards and it was hard not to just skip through it. Not because it was "Japanese" but because it was "stupid in an unentertaining way"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I always felt Kojima's games tend to be more Western in a lot of ways than most other Japanese games. He seems more obsessed with US movies than Japanese movies overall, it shows in a lot of stuff like Snake being relatively old and rugged for a Japanese game protagonist. Also his ~social commentary~ is very direct for Japanese standards. There's a lot of "just like my Japanese animes", ofcourse, but overall his inspiration seems to come more from the US.

I haven't played MGS5 yet so all I know is that the story is apparently unobtrusive compared to other MGS games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

lol if you aren't playing metal gear solid for the convoluted plot

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Instant Sunrise posted:

lol if you aren't playing metal gear solid for the convoluted plot

I sure as hell wasn't playing for the gameplay before, like, Snake Eater or so

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

bloodychill posted:

To be fair to MGS5 Japanese guy, the story is pretty trashy even by MGS standards and it was hard not to just skip through it. Not because it was "Japanese" but because it was "stupid in an unentertaining way"

I really enjoyed the hell out of it, just beat the gear boss like 5 minutes ago

Not once while blasting rockets at a giant mecha or sneaking through an enemy base with my dog did I go "ugh those dirty Japanese!!!"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
tbf my last mgs game was 2 so maybe I just don't have a pool of poo poo from 3 and 4 that I was hoping to see referenced or something but I even though the plot was good.

setting up mgs 1 is a rock solid end to it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh gently caress there is more

literally who is complaining about this game lmao

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

hubris.height posted:

oh gently caress there is more

Unfortunately it's not much :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

Sonic Generations is a very joyful game. Makes me happy every time I play it, especially Rooftop Run.

It's probably the best Sonic in the past decade, though that isn't saying much.

If it had a less clunky final boss and didn't have that embarrassing DLC "stage" I'd even call it a great game.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

sega should have just stopped after sonic & knuckles tbh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The drinks at the bar were Kickstarter backer rewards, so I don't know what's worse: That Nathasha Allegri pledged to the game so she could namedrop herself, or that one of the donors was such a huge Adventure Time fan that they decided to use their donation to give her a shout-out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bloodychill posted:

Yeah, so "Japanese" is probably the wrong adjective. There's a tone to the terrible anime-lite games I've been recommended like Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney that seems like it's going for whimsical and just comes across as flat, unrealistic, unfunny and childish in a really insufferable way. I think the Western equivalent to those games would be something like Grim Fandango or The Secret of Monkey Island, but there's really a huge difference in tone to me. MGSV obviously seems like one of the former.

It's embarrassing because someone seeing me watching this poo poo would think I'm a mental adolescent who believes humans interact that way. It's kind of like listening to Beastie Boys in your car. poo poo's just embarrassing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
do you have a specific example

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

On one hand, "anime is bad" is overgeneralizing, and I have thoroughly enjoyed some anime.

On the other hand, I quit watching anime when I was like ~18 or so because I had to try like 40 shows to find one that wasn't utter garbage. Like, worse than broadcast television is today in America.

In conclusion: "anime is bad" is a close-enough summary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish Anime didn't have to be so anime.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hubris.height posted:

do you have a specific example

I'm away from it right now but of the two or three cassettes I played, my feelings applied to every one.

There's also the weird sunglass thing from the first mission. I think I'm mostly thinking of the whole Miller rant on dogs of war and DIAMOND DOGS after that mission. It's like a really juvenile depiction of how people talk to each other even though it's "gritty".

I'm fine with the comical action stuff thrown in, like the contrast between the cardboard box equipping animation and how snake picks up supply drops by hopping into the box like a cat with an Amazon shipment versus the intense sprint camera shake and takedown stuff.

But hey, I know that's Metal Gear games, I loved MGS 1 and 2 because I was like 14 when I played them. Now I'm almost 30 and I don't really care about this dumb animu fire girl and the tortured sole of a shrapnel unicorn.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Jon Do posted:

worse than broadcast television is today in America

lol

tuyop posted:

It's embarrassing because someone seeing me watching this poo poo would think I'm a mental adolescent who believes humans interact that way. It's kind of like listening to Beastie Boys in your car. poo poo's just embarrassing.

lol
but maybe it's just the case that you don't like or don't get Japanese humor

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
One Punch Man has been redeeming anime as a whole, tbh.

Some people are really into the magical girl stuff or whatever and I find all that stuff really cringey, but stuff like OPM comes around once in a while and it's pretty great.

The OPM guy also does a manga called Mob Psycho 100 and I like that one even better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the vast majority of fiction doesn't emulate actual human behavior, and most isn't really trying to in the first place.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 10, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dragon ball is cool as heck

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

the vast majority of fiction doesn't emulate actual human behavior, and most isn't really trying to in the first place.

Yeah I know. I'm not suggesting the game would be better if it was just two dudes talking in acronyms and making inside jokes like actual crazy invested army buddies. That would be boring even though it might be realistic.

That doesn't mean that our only other option is this weird melodrama.

program666 posted:

get Japanese humor

Can you take a shot at explaining it to me? I'd also like to understand the use of boing sound effects on Japanese television that isn't anime.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Regardless of the actual quality of the actual release, the fact that literally everybody in my peer group on Facebook is hyped about Fallout 4 and reminiscing about the older games is rad as gently caress. Semper games.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sleeveless posted:

Regardless of the actual quality of the actual release, the fact that literally everybody in my peer group on Facebook is hyped about Fallout 4 and reminiscing about the older games is rad as gently caress. Semper games.

These kind of moments really make gaming.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the only time I can even imagine being bashful about playing mgs v is because of quiet. but that turned out to be funny because my wife went 'holy poo poo' and I had a good laugh

perhaps you should try to not take things so seriously?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

tuyop posted:

Can you take a shot at explaining it to me?
I think I vaguely remember a time when japanese humor and the over the top stuff seemed strange to me, but this time has long past, I don't think you can explain it, but you can get used to it maybe. People said peace walker was more anime than mgs5? I really can't remember a single instance of feeling like the game was obviously japanese, maybe I even didn't know it was a japanese game at the time, the cheap sci-fi just felt like normal video game storytelling.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

hubris.height posted:

the only time I can even imagine being bashful about playing mgs v is because of quiet. but that turned out to be funny because my wife went 'holy poo poo' and I had a good laugh

perhaps you should try to not take things so seriously?

For me it wasn't about being embarrassed - whatever, Quiet is juvenile cringey fanservice but that's a thing. MGSV just has some really weird stilted dialogue that makes no sense. It really is like Kojima knows what people look and sound like when they talk about serious stuff but has the vocabulary or understanding of a 12 year old so he just fits in words he thinks work.

Two scenes that stand out to me are when Ocelot makes Quiet shjow off her gunslinging skills and then raves about her depth perception, and when Miller says the new gear is going to revolutionize conflict because of it's turning radius. It's stuff that doesn't matter but sounds vaguely technically correct and it's delivered convincingly as long as you don't listen to it too closely.

\/\/\/ That wouldn't surprise me, it does kind of have the sound of clumsily translated stuff.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 10, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've heard people say that's partially down to MGS games other than 1 and Rising having mediocre localizations.

e: Yeah, Kojima's certainly not a brilliant writer in any language, but things like constant repetitions (repetitions!?) in dialogue are telltale signs of a stiff translation. No idea who does the main games, but 8-4, the localization company that worked on Rising, did such a good job that it actually led to KojiPro making changes to the Japanese script.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 10, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JoshTheStampede posted:

For me it wasn't about being embarrassed - whatever, Quiet is juvenile cringey fanservice but that's a thing. MGSV just has some really weird stilted dialogue that makes no sense. It really is like Kojima knows what people look and sound like when they talk about serious stuff but has the vocabulary or understanding of a 12 year old so he just fits in words he thinks work.

Two scenes that stand out to me are when Ocelot makes Quiet shjow off her gunslinging skills and then raves about her depth perception, and when Miller says the new gear is going to revolutionize conflict because of it's turning radius. It's stuff that doesn't matter but sounds vaguely technically correct and it's delivered convincingly as long as you don't listen to it too closely.

\/\/\/ That wouldn't surprise me, it does kind of have the sound of clumsily translated stuff.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Motto posted:

I
e: Yeah, Kojima's certainly not a brilliant writer in any language, but things like constant repetitions (repetitions!?) in dialogue are telltale signs of a stiff translation.

That or a script written by Aaron Sorkin or Brian Michael Bendis.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Blizzard is giving signs that they're ready to throw what remains of the MMO genre into the trash and forget about it forever

I can feel it I can feel Blizzard coming back...coming back into the RTS light.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Taint Reaper posted:

Blizzard is giving signs that they're ready to throw what remains of the MMO genre into the trash and forget about it forever

I can feel it I can feel Blizzard coming back...coming back into the RTS light.

There's no way they will shut down WoW until the day they announce WoW2 or World of Starcraft.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JoshTheStampede posted:

There's no way they will shut down WoW until the day they announce WoW2 or World of Starcraft.

They're not shutting it down but they're just going to ignore it for over a year, drop an expansion and then just let it stagnate.

It's not even close to their big money maker anymore. poo poo like Heroes of the Storm surpassed it last year.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're not shutting it down but they're just going to ignore it for over a year, drop an expansion and then just let it stagnate.

It's not even close to their big money maker anymore. poo poo like Heroes of the Storm surpassed it last year.

Yeah, and Hearthstone by a country mile. It's still like 50m a year of free money for them though. You're probably right though, just let it ride out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Fallout 4 is happeningggg

• Locked thread