Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Off the top of my head i can't think of a single mecha that requires you to hang onto the side to operate. Daisaku controls Robo through his wristwatch, he does not need to be in physical contact with it.

Also Torq, when you're done with the show I highly recommend checking out the commentary track. I found it really cool and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
What are some good (or at least decent) sports anime/manga with pro teams or that are at least not set in high school? I already have a big pile of those to watch but want to mix it up with some shows with characters that are actual adults. I've already watched One Outs and Giant Killing is on my list.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

What are some good (or at least decent) sports anime/manga with pro teams or that are at least not set in high school? I already have a big pile of those to watch but want to mix it up with some shows with characters that are actual adults. I've already watched One Outs and Giant Killing is on my list.

Ippo might be what you're looking for, if you haven't already given it a shot. Comedy option: Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ippo might be what you're looking for, if you haven't already given it a shot. Comedy option: Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro.

lol I already watched a few episodes of Matsutaro when it aired and it was garbage.

I thought Ippo was about a high school guy so it was kinda low on my priority list, isn't the main guy like 16 or something? I may have to move it up the list if the cast is older than I thought.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lol I already watched a few episodes of Matsutaro when it aired and it was garbage.

I thought Ippo was about a high school guy so it was kinda low on my priority list, isn't the main guy like 16 or something? I may have to move it up the list if the cast is older than I thought.

Main character starts out in high school but it's pro-boxing. It's also really good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's good but by all accounts goes downhill later.

Not that I imagine watching the anime will have that problem.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ippo is in high school early on but since it's about someone who pursues pro boxing, he graduates and boxes full-time

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
tbh Ippo was also kinda low on my list because I'd already read All Rounder Meguru and didn't think the comparison would be favorable, but if I stick to the anime that might not be a problem since Meguru doesn't have one and sports stuff is usually more fun when it's in motion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Meguru is really loving good though so if you're going to use it as a standard then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If more sports manga was like Meguru then I would have read an assload of sports manga.

Ippo isn't bad as a whole (and gets worse later on; the anime covers when it was still good) and has some extremely great moments which are excellent in motion - you should watch it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, watched the seven episodes of Giant Robo. That's a wrap.

To be honest, I kinda cooled on this show... :geno: It never stops throwing insane random spectacle at the viewer, and I love it. It's really epic in scope. But believe it or not, I think this show would've been MUCH better if it had been more self-contained instead of the ending we got. There might've been a little TOO much crammed into the last two episodes...
I never really warmed up to the main character, either. He's got a proper plot, I guess, but drat what an annoying little poo poo (what's with muttering "Father...!" all the time while being completely useless? And for that matter, muttering "Brother...!" and being completely useless? Aaaaaargh). While I loved its overabundance of ridiculously awesome action scenes, I'm not a fan of the central, rather contrived tragedy of the plot; although I guess extreme incompetence at communication with disastrous consequences is a staple of that sort of story. A little disappointed by the main action girl's lack of, well, action, too. Blue Oni wife was much cooler. :colbert:

Final verdict: honestly one of the best animated shows I've ever seen, period... up to including episode 5. 6 and 7 are bombastic, but too much, and with too little conclusion. But still, I'm amazed how good-looking and epic it was throughout, which counts a lot for me.

But one more "Father...!" and I would've fuckin flipped

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Giant Killing is probably the best one, so you should check that out. The art is a little weird but it feels like the most 'authentic' sport (or at least football) manga I've read.

I am interested in more football mangas with a similar feel if any exist.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

RabidWeasel posted:

Meguru is really loving good though so if you're going to use it as a standard then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If more sports manga was like Meguru then I would have read an assload of sports manga.

Ippo isn't bad as a whole (and gets worse later on; the anime covers when it was still good) and has some extremely great moments which are excellent in motion - you should watch it.

Yeah Meguru is fantastic. I wouldn't say I'm holding it up as a standard but more like I just read it recently and being somewhat similar it would be hard to not compare them. I'll put the Ippo anime on the short list (vs the endlessly long eventually list) and probably skip the manga.

More team stuff would be good though if it exists; one of the things I like about the sports genre is having a team of dorks being dorks together. I will say Haikyuu!! is kinda my gold standard there but I don't expect everything to live up to it.

I grabbed the Giant Killing anime last night BTW, kinda bummed I missed when CR had the rights to it.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Read Ashita no Joe

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 10, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ippo is a fantastic sports anime and him being in highschool for a very short period of it doesn't really come into it at all except in very beginning (it is not stereotypical anime highschool bs either).

The manga is good for a very long time but the first 72 episodes, the ovas, and the third season are all incredible. I'm not a huge fan of the second season but it's still pretty good.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Hi, I'm not currently looking for a recommendation but rather a show I watched long ago. Sorry if this isn't the thread for it but I figured I'd give it a shot

It was about a famous detective who got killed, and his spirit inhabited a child's body. The series followed him as he continued to solve murders and also tried to solve his own. It's graphical style is similar to yu yu hakasho if that helps

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Hi, I'm not currently looking for a recommendation but rather a show I watched long ago. Sorry if this isn't the thread for it but I figured I'd give it a shot

It was about a famous detective who got killed, and his spirit inhabited a child's body. The series followed him as he continued to solve murders and also tried to solve his own. It's graphical style is similar to yu yu hakasho if that helps

It sounds vaguely like detective conan/ case closed, but i think that's about a detective being turned into a child due to a chemical potion, not spirit possession.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I remember this from years ago so I might be wrong about how he turned into a kid, let me look those up real gay

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Read Ashita no Joe
This probably makes me a huge anime philistine but I can never get into stuff that old. :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's probs Detective Conan. You should watch lupin the third instead though

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, I was wrong about the way he turned into a kid and it is case closed, thanks! I Google searches case closed ice cube suicide because that was the one episode that stuck out in my head since its the first time I remember watching an anime

E what is lupin about? I've seen mention of it but not sure what it's like

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 10, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lupin is a goofy fun time about thieves pulling off capers

Case Closed is alright but it doesn't always obey the rules of mystery and it can be very very dry at times

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as I know, Lupin is the only crime-drama caper anime. I remember asking around for similar shows to Fujiko Mine but everyone drew blanks. Well, except for all of the other Lupin shows.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

As far as I know, Lupin is the only crime-drama caper anime. I remember asking around for similar shows to Fujiko Mine but everyone drew blanks. Well, except for all of the other Lupin shows.

what about nerima daikon brothers, does that count

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano is kind of about a caper

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

This probably makes me a huge anime philistine but I can never get into stuff that old. :(

The only part really shows it's age is the first anime. The manga is real good about it, it starts off feeling like it is from 1968 for only the first volume and a half, and as it goes on it's age shows less and less. By volume 7 it is unnoticeable. Volume 8 and everything that follows is some of if not the best poo poo manga has to offer. The second anime Ashita no Joe 2 is also very good. Unlike the first it has a huge buget. Starts off halfway through the story though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I usually have the same problem but I still read AnJ and it was really loving good. It's kind of bizarre because it's drawn like an old newspaper funny pages strip but everyone's a violent, mentally unabalanced rear end in a top hat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
More surely amazing, high-quality manga from the recent updates list

quote:

Mousou Megane - Imagine what you could do if you had glasses that could see through the clothes of that cute classmate you’ve had a crush on. Or that young teacher that you daydreamed about the entire time during class. Maybe your long time female friend that you never had the courage to ask out. If you could see their beautiful body without them having a clue, what would you do? This is every guy’s fantasy played out.

quote:

Kiss My rear end - After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through.....hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus...yes anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him, what does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his....anus? Find out!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
No, I would not like to find out more about that man's hemorrhoids.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Sounds like a pain in the rear end to read.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
:rimshot:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just finished reading Teppu (which is pretty good by the way though the ending was obviously rushed) and this is probably the most randomly mentally hosed up protagonist in an otherwise fairly normal series I've ever seen.

Can anyone recommend anything similar? Not necessarily sports / fighting related but with a similarly atypical protagonist character for something which would otherwise be pretty straight shonen fare. Not Shamo because that's just regular hosed up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So this heavy object thing keeps popping up while i'm watching the One Punch Man anime on hulu, is that any good to watch?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its worth seeing if you are fascinated by trains and have all their specs and timetables memorised

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Phobophilia posted:

its worth seeing if you are fascinated by trains and have all their specs and timetables memorised

Now I need to watch it to see how bad it is.

It wasn't that bad :shrug:

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 12, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Now I need to watch it to see how bad it is.

It wasn't that bad :shrug:

The general consensus in the season thread is that it ranges from pointless to dumb.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phobophilia posted:

Wait, so its Rail Wars? I thought Heavy Object was mechs, not trains.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wait, so its Rail Wars? I thought Heavy Object was mechs, not trains.

you need to be autistic to like it.

:thejoke:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

That's a bad and lame joke, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Blhue posted:

Oh. That joke was as bad as Rail Wars turned out to be.