Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Surely Florida Woman would be making pancakes or something ridiculous like that rather than merely texting (a feat any old dumbass can accomplish)

Please. Florida woman is making shake n bake meth while driving to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Surely Florida Woman would be making pancakes or something ridiculous like that rather than merely texting (a feat any old dumbass can accomplish)

Isn't the problem with texting and driving that not just any dumbass can accomplish it but all of them try?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Isn't the problem with texting and driving that not just any dumbass can accomplish it but all of them try?

Pretty much. Like talking, but worse.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
You guys ever notice that cagers view motorcyclists as like...some sort of born-in person, like it's a race or gender? They look at us with envy sometimes (I'm not being mean, this was sparked my a coworker's look) as if to say, "I wish I had a motorcycle," as if this hobby is somehow forbidden to non-motorcyclists. It has its ups and downs breh but it's not hard to trade in the cage for the freedom wheels.

Of course then again once it starts raining they be like, "YOU RODE HERE!??!?!" and are always worried the rain will cause me to slip and die so maybe they think you have to have either just a cage or a cage and a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I go multiple bikes and multiple cages.

The multiple bikes thing necessitates a truck and then I don't want to drive a truck if I don't have it full of bikes so I have another car that runs and then another car that sits because I love engineering tragedies that are even worse than Buells.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah man cagers man rabble freedom rabble rabble blah.

I've decided 'cagers' seems to be mostly a term only squiddy knobheads and Harley machomen use.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the term is childish imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Especially considering that pretty much everyone here also has a car.

Are there any posters riding 100% of the time?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Me, with a mix of bicycle, uber/lyft/metro, girlfriend shuttle.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I ride 100% of the time. Just did 2000 KM in 40+ degree heat over the weekend, and straight back into commuting on the same bike.

It's loving grand. I'm wearing a suit and tie right now, but I can see my overloud rear end in a top hat hooligan bike out my window.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I do. It's the only way to park at work, so that's what I do. I ride like the postal service motto. Hot cold, pissing rain, whatever. I buy the best tires on the market and own an aerostich and heated gear.

I own a car but it's basically falling apart from lack of use. For a while I was driving it to get groceries like every other weekend just to be driving it. A month and a half ago someone smashed out a window (which was twice as insulting since i leave the doors unlocked) and i havent touched it since. I couldnt get the window replaced since there's a short someplace that's killed the window motors for the past year or so, and IDGAF enough to try and figure out how to find it or to pay someone else to. In the past 2 years i've put maybe a few hundred mi on it.

When I get a new job I'll trade it for peanuts in the down payment on a focus ST just to have something reliable and sorta practical since i won't be FORCED to ride to work in the rain like i currently am. Or I should probably just donate it someplace to get rid of it.

e: and like the guy above knows, basically nothing feels more loving awesome than hitting the road in a suit on a motorcycle. even under the aerostich it just FEELS different.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Me.

It's bay area riding though, so worst we get is a little rain.

Edit: cagers is still a dumb term though.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 10, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I work like 2 miles away from home so naaaah. Plus I don't like taking the SV for errands just cause it's kinda unwieldy on the street for a small person (probably just me). I prefer to do fun mountain rides with it, if I had a dual sport I'd use that for city a lot more often.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Man I envy you guys. I'm too much of a puss to ride full time. I also love cars too so I guess I would be bummed if I didn't have a car too but really once the temperature drops below like 45 degrees I am pretty much done. I live in New England and still take the bike out a few times a month just to keep it moving even in winter time but I don't commute on it during those days when its 37F in the morning even if its going to get up to 50F during the day. But hey shout out to global warming for extending the comfortable riding weather. I got out Saturday for a great ride, first time in a while I've gotten out for more than just back and forth to work.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Verge posted:

You guys ever notice that cagers view motorcyclists as like...some sort of born-in person, like it's a race or gender? They look at us with envy sometimes (I'm not being mean, this was sparked my a coworker's look) as if to say, "I wish I had a motorcycle," as if this hobby is somehow forbidden to non-motorcyclists. It has its ups and downs breh but it's not hard to trade in the cage for the freedom wheels.

Of course then again once it starts raining they be like, "YOU RODE HERE!??!?!" and are always worried the rain will cause me to slip and die so maybe they think you have to have either just a cage or a cage and a bike.

I have a coworker who rides a motorcycle. He knows I ride too and likes to talk to me about bikes, but he always has some retarded comment that makes me roll my eyes. The last time I talked to him he went on about seeing a squid in flip flops and shorts and how dangerous that is, but then went on to talk about how he can't understand why I wear a jacket and full face helmet no matter the weather. It's always poo poo like that or complaining about how I would ride anything not made in America. Every time I see him walking towards my cubicle I kind of wish I never started riding bikes.

I get the same feeling every time I read one of your posts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

I work like 2 miles away from home so naaaah. Plus I don't like taking the SV for errands just cause it's kinda unwieldy on the street for a small person (probably just me). I prefer to do fun mountain rides with it, if I had a dual sport I'd use that for city a lot more often.

Buy a tw200.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I have a coworker who rides a motorcycle. He knows I ride too and likes to talk to me about bikes, but he always has some retarded comment that makes me roll my eyes. The last time I talked to him he went on about seeing a squid in flip flops and shorts and how dangerous that is, but then went on to talk about how he can't understand why I wear a jacket and full face helmet no matter the weather. It's always poo poo like that or complaining about how I would ride anything not made in America. Every time I see him walking towards my cubicle I kind of wish I never started riding bikes.

I get the same feeling every time I read one of your posts.

:drat:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For the past two years, I was riding pretty close to 100% of the time except during freezing or super wet weather (no heated gear and my gloves were not waterproof at all). I commuted to work every day, as well as ran all my errands and small shopping trips (like picking up some bolts from the hardware store, or grabbing a couple DVDs, nothing big like grocery shopping). Basically anytime I wasn't going somewhere with the wife, or needed a trunk, I was on my bike. Put on drat near 11,000 miles in 2015 alone.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HotCanadianChick posted:

For the past two years, I was riding pretty close to 100% of the time except during freezing or super wet weather (no heated gear and my gloves were not waterproof at all). I commuted to work every day, as well as ran all my errands and small shopping trips (like picking up some bolts from the hardware store, or grabbing a couple DVDs, nothing big like grocery shopping). Basically anytime I wasn't going somewhere with the wife, or needed a trunk, I was on my bike. Put on drat near 11,000 miles in 2015 alone.

How's the recovery going?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The past year for me, up until last month, has been 100% on two wheels because I didn't actually have a car. Now I have a car and I use it maybe once a week for grocery getting. Parking near work is a bitch, but since I've lent out my scooter, purchasing anything that can't fit in a backpack is very difficult. So, ergo, car. Also for the occasional work related trip to the next city over, because my 150cc isn't allowed on the freeways.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I miss having no car :sigh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I caged a cage just yesterday, because it was blowing a gale out and half the roads were flooded, and also I had to give someone a lift.

When I no longer have my own car available I'll magically grow enough foresight to be able to successfully either use public transport or carpool with a colleague.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm bike only, no car license.

It loving blows.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I miss having no car :sigh:

Here in the Southeast it has been raining for what feels like 3 weeks pretty much everyday. And now the cold is setting in. I'm so happy a bike isn't my only choice.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I sometimes work 8 or 12 hour graveyard shifts here in the bay area so I dont ride the bike on those days so i use my car. On other shifts I will use the motorcycle.

Also I mainly use my car when I go to workout because my BJJ Gi is bulky as poo poo and is a pain in the dick to pack in a backpack. Which is why I am getting a convertible duffelbackpack.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm member of a car pool, but I only use it maybe twice a month. The bike is my only personal vehicle.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hello. :) Mostly because it is illegal for me to drive. Don't have a driver's license for a car.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I don't have a car anymore so I usually ride. Plus riding is better for my bad back than driving is. Currently borrowing a car though until I get some proper cold weather/rain gear. Also till I replace the six year old Shinko rear tire.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache, please explain your custom title.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Chichevache, please explain your custom title.

Some guy doesn't know how to spell seize. I hope that clears up the confusion.

Read my posts in the "What did you do to your bike today?" thread.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey, 26 new posts in the rant thread, did Verge post again?

:v:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

I blew up 2 DRZs and one of them got stolen off the side of the freeway

Fixed for the newbies

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Fixed for the newbies

I blew up one drz,

twice.

Get it right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I biked for two years solid, late 2009 to 2011, in northern Idaho, on my 17hp (at best) Royal Enfield.

It sucked balls, but I am proud of some parts. Highlights include:

- Low-amperage alternator, so heated anything was out of the question.
- Riding up to a friend's house 35 miles away, having it snow overnight, having my girlfriend bring me all the clothes I own, then riding back once the plows hit the roads in (no poo poo here) 4 degree F weather (a highway patrolman apparently followed me the entire way, but I didn't see him because the moisture from inside my gloves froze on the mirrors when I tried to clean them). The carburetor iced up towards the end of it
- Buying 4x watermelons and 4x 750ml vodka for boozemelons for a 4th of July gathering, losing two vodkas on the road when they fell out of my jacket at a stoplight
- Buying pumpkins for Halloween
- Generally cocking about
- Putting "hippo hands" on the handlebars to survive the winters and having a motorcycle that looks like a retarded moose
- Having major things break and having to go to work the next day so you're up all night fixing stupid poo poo eg: my wiring loom caught fire and I did a total rewire in one day on my day off.

Like joining the Army, it's something I would never do again if I were reincarnated, but I'm glad I did it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I sold a bike on craiglist and didn't get stabbed. It took about 75 texts back and forth over 4 days, but it's done. :sweatdrop:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Craigslist is pretty amusing.

Horse swapped on craigslist. The biggest pain was the guy on the other side of the trade got super anxious when I didn't immediately take my ad down after talking to him. After the trade he complained that he missed the Buell and his wife never rides the Vstar.

Sold a car on CL. Guy drove 3 hours up from Portland, asked if the wheels came with it, put a stack of 20s in my hands, and drove off. I thought it was a test drive but he never came back. Since I had full price in my hands after it being listed for a day I wasn't upset. I got a call 6 weeks later about getting him the title. WTF

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Besides the standard people offering half my asking price I got one legit offer and it ended up being the buyer. 75 text messages. Asking for me to lower the bike. Can I have your rear stand. Do you have some frame sliders you can install for me.

It ended up being a French nurse in her early 30's that trains jujitsu that promised not to hurt me while I drover her from her apartment complex to a nearby grocery store parking lot to do the deal. Her job is dealing with people that have been baker acted. She stood there in a dark parking lot with $7k cash waiting for me to return with the bike. We swapped cash, title, plate, etc. Then I walked a quarter mile home with all that cash in my pocket.

Maybe I live a real boring life, but everything about dealing with craigslist just feels shady.

BlackLaser fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 11, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It can feel shady, but you can do some common sense stuff to protect yourself.

If I'm buying, I usually do it at the county office where we can transfer the title right there. We both go to the counter, tell them what we're up to, and they can give an immediate all-clear on the title situation. Plus being at the county office with armed guards mitigates some of the risk of being there with thousands of dollars in cash.

Stuff that doesn't take a title transfer like a junk bike or some parts I will try to do in a courthouse or police station parking lot. My thought is that shady meth heads who might stab me usually try to stay away from those places. Though one time a court clerk accidentally activated the silent alarm about when we arrived and a group of very excited deputies yelled at us and brandished weapons around. That was fun.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

- Buying 4x watermelons and 4x 750ml vodka for boozemelons for a 4th of July gathering, losing two vodkas on the road when they fell out of my jacket at a stoplight

This is hilarious. I hope someone was there to see that happen.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I ride every day to work. We use the car for stuff like groceries, or when we just want to pop out and pick up a pizza or something. Last summer we didn't use the car at all, and when fall came we had a problem with the heater, so I opened the hood. A mouse had built a lovely nest using pink insulation right on top of the motor housing.

Been riding daily since March 2014, have 23k miles on my bike now. Rain, sun, whatever. It's funny when people go all big-eyed and say, "You ride in the rain?!" like I'm BASE jumping from a mountaintop or something. It's just water. I have good, waterproof gear, and good rain-lovin' tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BlackLaser posted:

Her job is dealing with people that have been baker acted.

I do something similar in California! It's a real fun field.