Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In news that should surprise no one at this point, the Fifth Circuit ruled that Obama does not have the authority to set up DAPA or expand DACA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The fifth circuit's geography suggests they'd overturn the emancipation proclamation if the 13th amendment hadn't already set it in stone.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jackson Taus posted:

Kinda OT, but isn't that an R+11 seat? Why is there a Democratic primary? Did Susan Brooks get caught with a dead intern or something? Are there really two candidates who want to put themselves through a Congressional run? Or is this a case where you have a semi-serious flag-bearer and a crazy person, and the crazy person is forcing a primary?

There being a Dem primary is because there is a guy who I guess usually runs and is expected to run again (though he is yet to declare). I wouldn't call him a crazy person, but he's not so much a good fit for who you would have serve as a challenger - fewer community ties, doesn't really match the demographics, not particularly heavy on the retail politics with the people who live there, and about as much polish as your usual Indiana Dem (not much). Then there is the campaign I'm working on where another vet repeatedly tried to contact Brooks about a veterans issue Brooks voted against, never got a response, so now she is challenging Brooks to send a message about don't ignore your constituents and honestly a little bit of spite, which is fine by me since that and whiskey are my prime motivators in life. Between being a woman veteran with farming experience who now works as a livestock veterinarian she hits the demographic profile more, has more ties (she goes to a lot of farms), and has been doing the retail politics since about June when she got angry at Brooks and decided to run. She's more the flag bearer here. I haven't seen her give a speech or hit up voters yet so I can't evaluate her as a politician, but she's good odds for grabbing some gop voters in that district.

Worst case we draw some resources out if the governor's race (or more likely away from the education superintendent race) and send a message on veterans policies. Best case she can tap into voter dissatisfaction and desire for an outsider. Me I'm doing some it work and fundraising research, since I can already do the former and need to learn the latter for my other goals anyways. Also, like I said, I'm spiteful.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sorus posted:

I think people are capable of having sympathy for persons who find themselves in a bad position after foolishly voting for it, while at the same time chastising them for blindly voting against their best interests. The best thing to do is try and protect the people from their own actions in KY, even if they'll hate the person for helping them.

I really recommend people here follow Sean McElwee on twitter, he combines Bro_pair snark with policy deep dives and graphs

Here he is in a recent medicaid expansion study http://www.salon.com/2015/11/07/the...dicaid_crusade/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Went and watched the Yale video. What a bunch of whiny loving babies who wouldn't even let the him talk.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There are few things more unappealing as a topic than *~campus politics~*.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Josh Lyman posted:

That assumes that voters are well-informed and make rational choices.
It assumes the exact opposite actually?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So apparently, it seems that Ben Carson wasn't lying about one of his stories, surprisingly enough:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carsons-yale-classmate-we-did-the-prank-test-that-carson#.vxwxvowNL

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

So apparently, it seems that Ben Carson wasn't lying about one of his stories, surprisingly enough:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carsons-yale-classmate-we-did-the-prank-test-that-carson#.vxwxvowNL
An aspect of the story is true, the rest is bullshit.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Has anybody taken the necessary step at a press conference yet and asked Jeb how he would kill Baby Hitler

Pillow to the face?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you know that it's baby Hitler that would make you a god and you can do what you want.

Hate to defend Jeb! but that's that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Amergin posted:

Also free speech.

Not really.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

SedanChair posted:

Has anybody taken the necessary step at a press conference yet and asked Jeb how he would kill Baby Hitler

Pillow to the face?

What was the gun control situation like in the late 19th century Austria-Hungary?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

What was the gun control situation like in the late 19th century Austria-Hungary?

Anarchists! Anarchists everywhere!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

Also free speech.
The right of free speech doesn't exist on private property

You do not have the right to express yourself by burning a cross on someone else's lawn

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

There being a Dem primary is because there is a guy who I guess usually runs and is expected to run again (though he is yet to declare). I wouldn't call him a crazy person, but he's not so much a good fit for who you would have serve as a challenger - fewer community ties, doesn't really match the demographics, not particularly heavy on the retail politics with the people who live there, and about as much polish as your usual Indiana Dem (not much). Then there is the campaign I'm working on where another vet repeatedly tried to contact Brooks about a veterans issue Brooks voted against, never got a response, so now she is challenging Brooks to send a message about don't ignore your constituents and honestly a little bit of spite, which is fine by me since that and whiskey are my prime motivators in life. Between being a woman veteran with farming experience who now works as a livestock veterinarian she hits the demographic profile more, has more ties (she goes to a lot of farms), and has been doing the retail politics since about June when she got angry at Brooks and decided to run. She's more the flag bearer here. I haven't seen her give a speech or hit up voters yet so I can't evaluate her as a politician, but she's good odds for grabbing some gop voters in that district.

Worst case we draw some resources out if the governor's race (or more likely away from the education superintendent race) and send a message on veterans policies. Best case she can tap into voter dissatisfaction and desire for an outsider. Me I'm doing some it work and fundraising research, since I can already do the former and need to learn the latter for my other goals anyways. Also, like I said, I'm spiteful.

Yeah, nothing personal or anything it just always surprises me that people want to deal with a primary in races like these that are always such longshots in the first place. I mean it makes sense if your candidate got really pissed off personally by the incumbent.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JT Jag posted:

You do not have the right to express yourself by burning a cross on someone else's lawn

That's inaccurate. The right of free speech exists. But so does the right of the property owner to tell you to get the hell off his lawn.

(Cross-burning is a little bit different - you don't have the right to burn a cross, even if you did so on your own property, if it's intended to intimidate or threaten violence.)

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Fried Chicken posted:

I really recommend people here follow Sean McElwee on twitter, he combines Bro_pair snark with policy deep dives and graphs

Here he is in a recent medicaid expansion study http://www.salon.com/2015/11/07/the...dicaid_crusade/

Thanks for that link and recommendation.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

SedanChair posted:

Pillow to the face?

Certainly not an abortion. Wouldn't be pro life!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Holy poo poo. The "Jeb! would kill baby Hitler" thing is real, not an Onion article?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Holy poo poo. The "Jeb! would kill baby Hitler" thing is real, not an Onion article?

It's real.

I'm looking forward to him bumbling a response to "Well how do you know a baby aborted today wouldn't be hitler tomorrow?"

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SedanChair posted:

Pillow to the face?

This is so painfully obvious. He wouldn't go back and time and kill baby Hitler directly. He'd go back in time and gently caress Hitler's mom 12 months before Hilter would be born. That way Hilter ends up a cum stain. :rolleyes:

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008

Grundulum posted:

It's just the kind of backwards thinking the American people are crying out for right now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MickeyFinn posted:

This is so painfully obvious. He wouldn't go back and time and kill baby Hitler directly. He'd go back in time and gently caress Hitler's mom 12 months before Hilter would be born. That way Hilter ends up a cum stain. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't make a difference, Samuel Prescott Bush was already Hitler's dad.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone considered that the president using time travel to rewrite the timeline in order to kill baby Hitler is just another example of flagrant executive overreach? I'd rather have a president who would staunchly preserve our way of life by never violating the sacrosanct rules of the universe. Obviously this is just another dent in Bush's poorly organized campaign.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

Has anyone considered that the president using time travel to rewrite the timeline in order to kill baby Hitler is just another example of flagrant executive overreach?

When a Republican President does it, it's not flagrant nor overreaching.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nichael posted:

Has anyone considered that the president using time travel to rewrite the timeline in order to kill baby Hitler is just another example of flagrant executive overreach? I'd rather have a president who would staunchly preserve our way of life by never violating the sacrosanct rules of the universe. Obviously this is just another dent in Bush's poorly organized campaign.

The only moral time travel is my time travel.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

But but but but

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think anyone who would want to kill baby Hitler is probably a pretty simple minded person

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

If I met baby Hitler I would raise him Jewish.

See what alternative history mischief happens.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Anyone with a time machine who insists on trying to stop Nazi Germany from happening would be better off trying to stop the Burning of the Reichstag.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would travel back even farther and appear on the road to Damascus in a flash of bright light, and tell Paul not to listen to that other bright light, that other bright light was lying.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'd slap a baby but only in self defense

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The next three Dem debates are all hidden behind sports days. Almost like DWS et al didn't want anyone to watch :tinfoil:

The next one is up against some good college football this weekend as the season hits its stride. While the next one is the Saturday before Christmas and up against a couple of early college bowl games, an NFL game (Jets and the Cowboys); and a big slate of college basketball games. The third one is during the NFC/AFC second round game.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The next three Dem debates are all hidden behind sports days. Almost like DWS et al didn't want anyone to watch :tinfoil:

The next one is up against some good college football this weekend as the season hits its stride. While the next one is the Saturday before Christmas and up against a couple of early college bowl games, an NFL game (Jets and the Cowboys); and a big slate of college basketball games. The third one is during the NFC/AFC second round game.
Is there any significant overlap between "people who watch football obsessively" and "potential Dem voters that are on the fence re: Bernie v. Hillary?" Not to discount such folk, but it seems like a small part of the potential audience.

I'm also perfectly willing to accept the "DWS is completely incompetent" narrative.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
DWS is terrible. It is not in the Democratic party or Hillary Clinton's interest to not be seen by people. People tend to remember they don't like her, until they see her on TV and are like "wait, why didn't I like her again? Oh yeah I forgot the bad stuff Republicans say is bullshit".

Her campaign seems to think the same way and keep her hidden from public view as much as possible, it's bad strategy.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I feel this really doesn't matter at all when you take into account DVRs and people uploading the debate to YouTube. Anyone who was going to watch the debate is going to consume that content one way or another.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I would go back in time and join the Bolsheviks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Amergin posted:

Also free speech.

Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ZobarStyl posted:

Is there any significant overlap between "people who watch football obsessively" and "potential Dem voters that are on the fence re: Bernie v. Hillary?" Not to discount such folk, but it seems like a small part of the potential audience.

I'm also perfectly willing to accept the "DWS is completely incompetent" narrative.

Frabba posted:

I feel this really doesn't matter at all when you take into account DVRs and people uploading the debate to YouTube. Anyone who was going to watch the debate is going to consume that content one way or another.

In terms of just general exposure, its hard for people to even think about DVR-ing them if they're lost in that sort of programming shuffle. It's also harder to capture the national narrative in the way that the RNC has for each of their debates. Being on Saturday/Sunday almost assures that instead of getting two or three whole news cycles out of it, you get some talk on the Sunday morning shows (which is preaching to the choir) and maybe a note on Monday morning as an after thought.

• Locked thread