Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baloogan posted:

Victoria BC simply dumps its untreated sewage into the georgia straight every single day.

Which the environment can handle quite well due to the fairly specific situation Victoria is in. It's a giant natural poop recycling system that's a billion times more "green" than any massive sewage treatment plant would be. Victoria's sewage treatment issue is like someone with no understanding of the environment or local biosphere getting enraged that someone threw an apple core into the forest and instead we should instead send it to a huge energy intensive apple core maceration facility that breaks the apple down into its constituent chemicals then truck those chemicals, specially the concentrated arsenic, and store it in some sort of large facility. I mean you can't just throw an apple core into the forest, that's gross and littering. Humans dumping raw garbage in the forest is horrible and there's no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Baronjutter posted:

Which the environment can handle quite well due to the fairly specific situation Victoria is in. It's a giant natural poop recycling system that's a billion times more "green" than any massive sewage treatment plant would be. Victoria's sewage treatment issue is like someone with no understanding of the environment or local biosphere getting enraged that someone threw an apple core into the forest and instead we should instead send it to a huge energy intensive apple core maceration facility that breaks the apple down into its constituent chemicals then truck those chemicals, specially the concentrated arsenic, and store it in some sort of large facility. I mean you can't just throw an apple core into the forest, that's gross and littering. Humans dumping raw garbage in the forest is horrible and there's no excuse.

Uh, not really.

It's a huge split actually with the science shifting over the last few years to 'we really shouldn't actually do this'

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Alctel posted:

Uh, not really.

It's a huge split actually with the science shifting over the last few years to 'we really shouldn't actually do this'

Do you have links to some articles or something? Everything I've read suggested that the actual poop and storm water was perfectly fine and the only potential problems were due to stuff like oil residue and estrogen from birth control pills or whatever. And even then, it was just something scientists were kind of worried about but had no actual evidence on.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's human poo poo you dumb assholes of course it's a bad idea.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2018

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

you dumb gently caress

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 26, 2018

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The solution to this Montreal sewage problem is pretty simple. With Keystone pipeline cancelled there are now tons of pipe and pumping equipment just sitting around. We should obviously use those to pump the poo poo out. Great public project, create a closed loop system and let her run forever. Maybe employ some artists to create a few pretty spirals. Even better, make the loop visible from space in the likeness of mr. Harper.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not like Victoria has a huge population and human poo poo is probably the most environmentally friendly thing we could be dumping in the ocean.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Having lived in Victoria for quite a few years, raw human poo poo would definitely liven up the place.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

iv46vi posted:

The solution to this Montreal sewage problem is pretty simple. With Keystone pipeline cancelled there are now tons of pipe and pumping equipment just sitting around. We should obviously use those to pump the poo poo out. Great public project, create a closed loop system and let her run forever. Maybe employ some artists to create a few pretty spirals. Even better, make the loop visible from space in the likeness of mr. Harper.

I for one think that we should definitely create a Human poo poo Tokamak.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Helsing posted:

The least bad option would be using our historically unprecedented levels of wealth and technology to come up with a better solution than dumping raw sewage into a river.

Which, of course, is precisely what we do in Calgary. Being near the headwaters of the Bow, it isn't really an option for us to keep the water anything but clean. Thus: a world-class sewage treatment system. It ain't cheap, but it works well for us and for those who live downriver.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Eej posted:

I for one think that we should definitely create a Human poo poo Tokamak.

The Ministry of Public Works version of poop socking.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if everybody takes home a tablespoon or jar full of sewage every day and dumps it into the toilet just before they were going to flush anyway? Environment saved.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Sewage isn't only poop. Every condom that is flushed, the effluent from every factory and commercial enterprise. Every car that is washed, every gallon of oil spilt. Every bit of laundry detergent. Every drop of industrial wastewater (solvents, acids, bases, etc). You post, btw, is garbage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Man the trudeaumetre site is a cesspool in the comments.

As I expected the climate change and indigenous peoples sections attracted terrible people like flies to poo poo.

Heh, bring in those 25,000, but be forewarned, that anywhere between 2% to 30% will be islamists that hate our way of life, and have been brought up with a daily diet of Jew and Western hatred.
We are already spending over $2 billion on CSIS and security from the 5th column that we already let in, so there is no problem with our soon spending close to $10 billion a year on CSIS to protect us from the islamists that will surely be imbedded with these refugees, as promised by ISIS.
That I now have to wait for 6 months for my cancer treatments, because of the lack of facilities, and being pushed to the back of the line, doesn't really bother me. No new health facilities being built, tax attacks against our Doctors, make me real happy.
I must admit, that I like your creativity, and God willing, I will be around to see the fruits of that creativity.
I also wish you and Justin, all the best in your discussions with Caliph al-Bagdhadi.
Perhaps, YOU will be successful in convincing al-Bagdhadi that he doesn't really understand the peaceful islam of that famous warlord mohammed.
As i stated earlier, if I'm still around in 5 years, I'll check back with you on your progress.
Just remember, your approach of kumbaya, has been tried, all be it partially against the islamic state, for over 2 years now, and ISIS is bigger and stronger than ever, and yes, they have now graduated to bringing down civilian airliners.
I'm waiting.
Good luck and God bless

e: note how this exact post by some Trun Canadian Patroit would also function equally well as ISIS propaganda.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man the Jew industry is going to make a mint providing all those daily doses of Jew.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

and have been brought up with a daily diet of Jew and Western hatred.

then they will fit well right in here in D&D.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So if this thread has people who actually have to directly deal with poo water, how would you suggest they deal with 8 billion litres of the stuff. I'd rather it not hit the St Lawrence but unless the only alternative involves a time machine then welp.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also a good solution to keeping this from happening again would be to round up those responsible for neglecting something as basic yet vital as waste water treatment for so long that dumping 8 billion litres of poo water seems like the least worst option and make them empty out the line with buckets.

Of course if its like every other municipality the fault ultimately lies with the public who voted for politicians that vowed to not raise property taxes while ignoring systemic deficiencies in basic infrastructure funding.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ottawa has a "millions of litres of sewage" story every couple of months, so I didn't realize until this morning that they were actually talking about Montreal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My solution to the poo poo water dilemma is to levy a fine on the city of Montreal that is large enough that it makes it cheaper for them to build new infrastructure than to dump it in the river.

Literally the only thing that will make them not do this is if we somehow make it more expensive to dump poo water than to properly deal with it, so that is what we should do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm p sure one of the biggest issues with this giant pipeload of poo is if it isn't dumped relatively soon critical maintenance can't be performed on the sewer system and its going to end up being released when the system fails.

If its simply a case of 'we let this problem fester and now its too much money to fix :cry:' then ya gently caress whoever wants to dump it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Awesome, all of Canada is going to get a little more OLP, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1h11xZ86MY

Exodus of Ontario Liberal staffers to Ottawa set to begin

quote:

Ontario Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne is expecting an exodus of her staffers from Queen’s Park to Parliament Hill – and is even encouraging it.

Late last month, she gathered about 450 staff members – everyone from ministers’ offices to constituency offices – to the Ontario Room in the Macdonald Block of Queen’s Park and thanked them for helping Justin Trudeau and his federal Liberals win a majority government.

She then noted that many would be offered jobs and said although she would be sorry to see them leave, they could be Ontario’s eyes and ears on Parliament Hill.

That’s not a bad strategy. The Wynne and Trudeau Liberals are very close, but Ms. Wynne has some important files she needs the federal government to help with, and having former staffers in key positions in Ottawa may smooth her agenda along.

A senior Liberal official said a “massive team” from Queen’s Park worked on the federal election. They include key staffers from Ms. Wynne’s office, such as Brian Clow, her issues and policy adviser, who was managing issues in the Trudeau war room; Zita Astravas, who is her press secretary and played that role for Mr. Trudeau; and John Zerucelli, chief of staff to Deputy Premier and Treasury Board President Deb Matthews. Mr. Zerucelli ran a seamless tour for Mr. Trudeau. His second-in-command was Melanie Wright, who is chief of staff to Ontario Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid.

I'm sure that massive team only worked on it in their non-taxper funded time too, goddamn olp.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best thing is the OLP is so loving terrible I'd put money on the cons winning the next election and then Ontario will become even shittier.

I mean you could vote NDP but HURR RAE DAYS.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EvilJoven posted:

So if this thread has people who actually have to directly deal with poo water, how would you suggest they deal with 8 billion litres of the stuff. I'd rather it not hit the St Lawrence but unless the only alternative involves a time machine then welp.

[Poo Goons] What were they going to do with this 8 billion liters of poo poo anyway, if it wasn't going to be dumped? Certainly they had a plan to treat it at some point, or do they just hold on to poo poo permanently until oops? Seems like a bad idea considering that humans are almost literal poo poo factories. But if they gradually treat this stuff, why not just do that?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
It's not going to be unreasonable to assume that a lot of the refugees won't be radicalized, but will fervently believe in conspiracy theories about Western governments. The lack of information from trusted sources creates a void in the public sphere that is filled by artistic fancies of exactly how we're screwing with them. That Counter Radicalization ministerial position may have a lot of work cut out for him.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

BattleMaster posted:

[Poo Goons] What were they going to do with this 8 billion liters of poo poo anyway, if it wasn't going to be dumped? Certainly they had a plan to treat it at some point, or do they just hold on to poo poo permanently until oops? Seems like a bad idea considering that humans are almost literal poo poo factories. But if they gradually treat this stuff, why not just do that?

A bit of local context might help.

Basically the entire point of this is to replace the snow dump sewer feed they have to close due to blowing up the Bonaventure (which is a Good Thing) and while they're down there to do necessary maintenance work on one of the main sewer pipes feeding the treatment plant, which they can't do while it's full. So for the week they are doing it the sewers in that part of the city will outflow into the river. Since Montreal is kind of large a week's worth of poo is a rather appalling number but on the other hand it's going into a river that drains a quarter of the continent.

The sheer volume involved apparently makes it unrealistic to divert and the time pressure (Winter Is Coming, etc.) makes building a backup pipe unhelpful (it would cost nine figures, take five years, and see limited use outside situations like this where they need to repair the main feed, so while it would possibly make great Keynesian stimulus it would not help the current situation.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 10, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

Ottawa has a "millions of litres of sewage" story every couple of months, so I didn't realize until this morning that they were actually talking about Montreal.

Basically every time it rains.

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/water-and-environment/sewers-and-septic-systems/overflow-activity

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

My solution to the poo poo water dilemma is to levy a fine on the city of Montreal that is large enough that it makes it cheaper for them to build new infrastructure than to dump it in the river.

Literally the only thing that will make them not do this is if we somehow make it more expensive to dump poo water than to properly deal with it, so that is what we should do.

What does this even mean?

You want to levy a fine large enough that Montreal will need to build new sewers in that section of town?

The point of this is so that they can do maintenance work and avoid an even larger problem occurring due to overflows.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
fill up tanker trucks with the sewage and drive it down to windsor imo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RBC posted:

fill up tanker trucks with the sewage and drive it down to windsor imo

Peestone XL

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Just to add I worked with waste water containment and a municipality wanted to use human waste water as fertilizer. :psyduck:

Matt Damon did it, it's legit :science:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

A bit of local context might help.

Basically the entire point of this is to replace the snow dump sewer feed they have to close due to blowing up the Bonaventure (which is a Good Thing) and while they're down there to do necessary maintenance work on one of the main sewer pipes feeding the treatment plant, which they can't do while it's full. So for the week they are doing it the sewers in that part of the city will outflow into the river. Since Montreal is kind of large a week's worth of poo is a rather appalling number but on the other hand it's going into a river that drains a quarter of the continent.

The sheer volume involved apparently makes it unrealistic to divert and the time pressure (Winter Is Coming, etc.) makes building a backup pipe unhelpful (it would cost nine figures, take five years, and see limited use outside situations like this where they need to repair the main feed, so while it would possibly make great Keynesian stimulus it would not help the current situation.)

Yeah. The whole country is freaking out about this but there isn't a lot that can be done. Its a making GBS threads situation (ha-ha!) but it needs to be done before the snow starts and there are no viable alternatives. Coderre is right to be pissed at all the external meddling in this; I'm sure he's not thrilled to be doing this since it makes him and the city look bad, but nobody is offering anything but high-pitched whining as a solution.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can we somehow solidify the poo poo into a building material and make poo poo-brick houses?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

jm20 posted:

Matt Damon did it, it's legit :science:

"My rear end in a top hat is keeping me alive"

Also up until very recently in the small rural farming village in South Korea I lived in for two years dumped sewage directly into the fields

'Twas a lovely perfume in the 40+ degree 100% humidity days I tell you what

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MA-Horus posted:

"My rear end in a top hat is keeping me alive"

Also up until very recently in the small rural farming village in South Korea I lived in for two years dumped sewage directly into the fields

'Twas a lovely perfume in the 40+ degree 100% humidity days I tell you what

Manure of any kind increases in fragrance during the warmer weather, being human or cow.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kafka Esq. posted:

It's not going to be unreasonable to assume that a lot of the refugees won't be radicalized, but will fervently believe in conspiracy theories about Western governments. The lack of information from trusted sources creates a void in the public sphere that is filled by artistic fancies of exactly how we're screwing with them. That Counter Radicalization ministerial position may have a lot of work cut out for him.

Yeah if we were concerned about immigrants being really conservatively religious and believing in a ton of insane conspiracy theories we'd have a total ban on most of eastern europe.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Baloogan posted:

then they will fit well right in here in D&D.

Of course you responded to that seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah if we were concerned about immigrants being really conservatively religious and believing in a ton of insane conspiracy theories we'd have a total ban on most of eastern europe.

I approve!