Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Sisko posted:

As stated earlier I know very little about chaos demons and after much thought I thought I think the Cult lists make for better ally than demons and would probably be a lot more fun for the opponent.

Basically, what's your tolerance for randomness and what exactly do you want out of your allies? What do you want them to bring that you do not have, either due to the limitations of your codex in general or your army's particular construction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So is the death guard list in book one current?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

Basically, what's your tolerance for randomness and what exactly do you want out of your allies? What do you want them to bring that you do not have, either due to the limitations of your codex in general or your army's particular construction?

Chaos Daemons are not all that random now, actually. The primary source of randomness is the Warp Storm table, which is only used if the army is your Primary Detachment and won't happen in a Horus Heresy game. All Chaos Daemons have the Deep Strike special rule but it is not required to use. In fact most Daemons are better off starting on the table, especially if they are assault oriented. There are also inexpensive unit upgrades that make Deep Striking within range of a model precise or at least reduce the scatter distance. Considering the cost of Legion units you can fit a ton of bodies into a list with some unique abilities and still have points left for a solid core army. They're not the best army by far, but they can be fluffy and interesting additions in a world where 80%+ of what you see is MEq.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Cythereal posted:

For me personally I don't mind randomness but from what I've heard about the Daemons is that there is quite a bit of randomly generated war gear and so on and to be perfectly honest that might be a bit of pain as I'd rather not waste the time I get to play with my plastic space barbies. Other than that I really don't know a whole lot about the army though I do have a soft spot for Nurgle from just a purely fluff point of view. I'd appreciate any insights people have on this army.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Sisko posted:

For me personally I don't mind randomness but from what I've heard about the Daemons is that there is quite a bit of randomly generated war gear and so on and to be perfectly honest that might be a bit of pain as I'd rather not waste the time I get to play with my plastic space barbies. Other than that I really don't know a whole lot about the army though I do have a soft spot for Nurgle from just a purely fluff point of view. I'd appreciate any insights people have on this army.

Nurgle is very resilient and slow (cannot Run), which should not be surprising. Most Nurgle units are considered to be strong choices because they have Shrouded and access to Poison. Nurgle Daemon Princes with wings are hilariously good because they can fly in and Jink if fired upon, getting a 2+ cover save. It is always best to outfit Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes with two Greater Gifts because the choices that they offer are strong and give you access to a powerful weapon choice if your roll isn't that great.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 10, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

With the potential to use the Chapter that you play in 40k's Primarch in 30k. I'm going to have the worlds biggest loyalist erection when Sanguinius comes out, it is just going to suck when Panascope's Horus kills him over and over again...

After Horus shithouses Sanguinius I'm going to smash your models with a hammer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

panascope posted:

I'm guessing Horus will stay king poo poo of primarch mountain, though I could see Sanguinius being able to give him a run for his money. Sanguinius will probably be much more mobile to boot, comparable to Corax. Maybe a more straight-up fighting oriented version of Corax in general.

Leman Russ is probably going to be a beatstick with some buffs to the army, and Magnus is obviously going to be a monstrous psyker, but I'm wondering how the Khan and Lion are going to shake out. In the books neither seem to be anything special in combat, though the Lion could be a support-oriented primarch.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Who can tell, I expected Perturabo to have more guns or various other related shooting abilities and he got a giant hammer that lets him club most everyone else 1v1.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Alright, I need someone to whisper sweet Raven Guard nothings in my ear. Assault murder space men who hide in the shadows because they shop at Hot Topic? Or a kickin' rad infiltrating assault force that I can also use in 40k? Or (please be this) both?

Also, how much anti-flyer, anti armour and the like does one need to fit into a 30k list to make it fun for others to play (and fun to play)? What are the enemy units that one needs to be able to deal with to make it a good time?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Germ posted:

Or a kickin' rad infiltrating assault force that I can also use in 40k? Or (please be this) both?

Do Alpha Legion. Infiltrate YOUR ENTIRE ARMY.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Kicking off the Black Rage with style, I see.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
English version of the White Dwarf about the box set is out: https://imgur.com/gallery/yawx1/new

Looks like they included a full set of weapon options for the Cataphractii: 5 sets of LCs, 5 powerfists, 5 chainfists, 5 combi-bolters, 1 heavy flamer, 1 power sword, 1 grenade harness.

Each of the three Veteran Tac squads has 13 heads, 10 bolters, and 1 each of flamer, PG, HB, MG, ML, LC, PF, power weapon, bolt pistol, chainsword, vexilla, and a combi-bolter that has options for flamer, melta, and plasma.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Handy info, thanks for posting that!

Edit, I'm looking at options to assemble from this box set and this looks like a decent footslogging list? Only need to buy the Iron Father, Gorgons and Apothecaries to round it out. I'll be short some Missile Launchers and a Kheres as well:

+++ Iron Hands (1665pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1665pts) ++

+ HQ (455pts) +

Iron-father Autek Mor (225pts)

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field]
Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]

+ Troops (420pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

+ Elites (565pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (150pts)
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (190pts) [Blessed Autosimulacra, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Gorgon Terminator Squad (225pts) [4x Gorgon Terminator, Reaper Autocannon]
Gorgon Hammerbearer [Grenade Harness]

+ Heavy Support (225pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (225pts) [Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

TKIY fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 10, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

PierreTheMime posted:

Nurgle is very resilient and slow (cannot Run), which should not be surprising. Most Nurgle units are considered to be strong choices because they have Shrouded and access to Poison. Nurgle Daemon Princes with wings are hilariously good because they can fly in and Jink if fired upon, getting a 2+ cover save. It is always best to outfit Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes with two Greater Gifts because the choices that they offer are strong and give you access to a powerful weapon choice if your roll isn't that great.

Thanks for posting that! I have some plaguebearers and Herald that I got randomly from a relative some maybe I could go down the Daemon root. We'll at least I have time to think which route I want go.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

TKIY posted:

Edit, I'm looking at options to assemble from this box set and this looks like a decent footslogging list? Only need to buy the Iron Father, Gorgons and Apothecaries to round it out. I'll be short some Missile Launchers and a Kheres as well:

+ HQ (455pts) +

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field]
Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]

+ Troops (420pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

+ Elites (565pts) +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (190pts) [Blessed Autosimulacra, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (225pts) [Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

Swap the support squad for a Deredeo. Flakk is trash and you'd save some points.

E:also Deredeo looks sick and you'd have synergy with your Legion rules

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Germ posted:

Also, how much anti-flyer, anti armour and the like does one need to fit into a 30k list to make it fun for others to play (and fun to play)? What are the enemy units that one needs to be able to deal with to make it a good time?

It depends on the point level and your army, really. In games around 2000 or higher you can expect significant armour saturation along with a death-star (or two) coming at you in the form of Spartan or flying delivery system. Despite this, fliers are pretty uncommon so AA isn't really necessary. At 2000 points I'd make sure your TAC list has:

1) A way to deal with hordes
2) A way to deal with dozens of marines
3) A way to pop AV13 or less
4) A way to counter or tie-up deathstars
5) A way to pop AV15 super heavies
6) A mobile scoring unit or backfield capper
7) A unit or two with interceptor to counter deepstrikers or fliers

This looks like a tall order, but a number of legion units can fit into each category. Thudd Guns are great because they will seriously hurt hordes while giving you reliable AV13 glancing firepower. A mortis dread can sit in your midfield and interdict deepstrikers, shoot down fliers, glance armour, and deal with hordes. The more popular legion units are like this- they plug several holes while being priced competitively.

TKIY posted:

+ HQ (455pts) +

Consul [Chaplain]

+ Troops (420pts) +

+ Elites (565pts) +

I would ditch the combi weapons on the apothecaries and take aug scanners instead. Also the plasma pistol. Your sergeants also badly need power weapons and if you are foot slogging as Iron Hands you should give them close combat weapons as well. Consider changing your cataphractii centurion into a master of signal to park with your heavy support squad for the +1 BS and orbital bombardment.

Other than that, it's a pretty good take on an Iron Hands list based off the calth box, albeit I would probably take lascannons over missile launchers in this list (and remember that your sergent can also take heavy weapons in a heavy weapon squad :) )

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

It depends on the point level and your army, really. In games around 2000 or higher you can expect significant armour saturation along with a death-star (or two) coming at you in the form of Spartan or flying delivery system. Despite this, fliers are pretty uncommon so AA isn't really necessary. At 2000 points I'd make sure your TAC list has:

1) A way to deal with hordes
2) A way to deal with dozens of marines
3) A way to pop AV13 or less
4) A way to counter or tie-up deathstars
5) A way to pop AV15 super heavies
6) A mobile scoring unit or backfield capper
7) A unit or two with interceptor to counter deepstrikers or fliers

This looks like a tall order, but a number of legion units can fit into each category. Thudd Guns are great because they will seriously hurt hordes while giving you reliable AV13 glancing firepower. A mortis dread can sit in your midfield and interdict deepstrikers, shoot down fliers, glance armour, and deal with hordes. The more popular legion units are like this- they plug several holes while being priced competitively.

Very helpful - thanks for this!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ok Heresy hams, tell me how terribad this Death Guard "Burn all the things with forbidden chemicals" list is:

quote:

+++ Death Guard (1997pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1997pts) ++

+ HQ (717pts) +

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (440pts) [4x Deathshroud Terminators]
····Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Artificer Armour]
····Consul [Siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor (172pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades, Volkite Charger]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (705pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (170pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 4x Legion Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Squad (295pts) [19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Heavy Chainsword, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Deathshroud Power Scythe, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (235pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (70pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (165pts)
····Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Laser Destroyer Array]

+ Heavy Support (340pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (185pts) [Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (155pts)
····Legion Medusa [Phosphex Shells]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

Created with BattleScribe

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Pretty savage, I like it. For 2000 pts it seems to have everything you'd need.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

I'm guessing Horus will stay king poo poo of primarch mountain, though I could see Sanguinius being able to give him a run for his money. Sanguinius will probably be much more mobile to boot, comparable to Corax. Maybe a more straight-up fighting oriented version of Corax in general.

Leman Russ is probably going to be a beatstick with some buffs to the army, and Magnus is obviously going to be a monstrous psyker, but I'm wondering how the Khan and Lion are going to shake out. In the books neither seem to be anything special in combat, though the Lion could be a support-oriented primarch.

Russ and especially Khan will be setup to kill other Primarchs I think. Sanguinius will be the Loyal sides version of Horus, as in able to kick the poo poo out of any other Primarch they come across, but he will of course lose against him.

It will be interesting when they eventually release the Emperor.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

krushgroove posted:

Considering HH is basically historical 40K and my group is going to be playing the normal Heresy timeline, could I rightly give our Sons of Horus (loyalist) a bunch of poo poo if he plays Abaddon and Horus? I don't want to be a dick about it, it's plastic spacemen, he can barely play as it is, and Horus and Abaddon are cool and all...but playing them as loyalist post-Heresy?

Thanks for that, good info! I'll put it in a Google Doc file I keep for notes.

The Eye icon/watermark thingy on Horus' and Abaddon's pages means that they can't be Loyalist.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Okay since everyone else is doing it here's what I'm building toward with my Death Guard army using The Reaping. Thoughts?

+++ New Roster (1992pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1992pts) ++

+ HQ (817pts) +

Legion Centurion (145pts) [Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Rad Grenades, Refractor Field]
··Consul [Primus Medicae]

Legion Praetor (672pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades, The Barbaran Thurible]
··Deathshroud Terminator Squad [4x Deathshroud Terminators, Melta Bombs]
····Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]
··Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (790pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (165pts) [Autocannons, 4x Legion Space Marines]
··Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (165pts) [Autocannons, 4x Legion Space Marines]
··Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner]

Legion Tactical Squad (230pts) [15x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (230pts) [15x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Power Weapon, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (210pts) +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (210pts)
··Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamer, Twin-linked Lascannon]

+ Heavy Support (175pts) +

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (175pts) [Lascannons]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

serious gaylord posted:

Russ and especially Khan will be setup to kill other Primarchs I think. Sanguinius will be the Loyal sides version of Horus, as in able to kick the poo poo out of any other Primarch they come across, but he will of course lose against him.

It will be interesting when they eventually release the Emperor.

I don't get why Khan would be set up to kill other primarchs. In the story so far, he's fought exactly one and that one was a draw (against Mortarion).

They aren't going to release rules for the Emperor. Ever.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sulecrist posted:

The Eye icon/watermark thingy on Horus' and Abaddon's pages means that they can't be Loyalist.

Really? What about vehicles? I don't have access to my catalogue but I'm sure things like the Fire Raptor, etc have the eye icon too, and I've seen people online using the Storm Eagle (variant of the Fire Raptor) as an Ultramarine flyer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, just say it's a clone by Fabius Bile or a duplicate due to Warp fuckery from an alternate timeline or whatever. I don't think most people are going to care that much whether you're ostensibly loyalist or traitor on the tabletop.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The eye watermark just indicates Horus Heresy, but some characters have a special rule that specifically limits them to traitor or loyalist armies. This will never matter and can probably always be ignored. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cythereal posted:

I don't get why Khan would be set up to kill other primarchs. In the story so far, he's fought exactly one and that one was a draw (against Mortarion).

They aren't going to release rules for the Emperor. Ever.

Khan is described as a very very very good fighter, and routinely mentioned as at the top of the pile by the other Primarchs.

And of course they'll release rules for the Emperor. They've said they're going to do a model for him, of course there will be rules. I imagine only playable in one specific scenario in the assault on the Vengeful Spirit but there will be rules for him.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I would ditch the combi weapons on the apothecaries and take aug scanners instead. Also the plasma pistol. Your sergeants also badly need power weapons and if you are foot slogging as Iron Hands you should give them close combat weapons as well. Consider changing your cataphractii centurion into a master of signal to park with your heavy support squad for the +1 BS and orbital bombardment.

Other than that, it's a pretty good take on an Iron Hands list based off the calth box, albeit I would probably take lascannons over missile launchers in this list (and remember that your sergent can also take heavy weapons in a heavy weapon squad :) )

If I am foot slogging why would I drop the bolters for combat blades? I'm thinking of them as a fire base or do I have that wrong?

Lord Twisted posted:

Swap the support squad for a Deredeo. Flakk is trash and you'd save some points.

E:also Deredeo looks sick and you'd have synergy with your Legion rules

Yeah I am just trying to stay within the box set a bit. 30k on the cheap if possible! Reworking the list though, Deredo is an amazing looking model and I might have to shell out for one.

edit: gently caress this poo poo is expensive. Any sort of transport and/or Legion specific troops are just insanely expensive, even by GW standards!

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 10, 2015

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favourite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

TKIY posted:

If I am foot slogging why would I drop the bolters for combat blades? I'm thinking of them as a fire base or do I have that wrong?

Yeah I am just trying to stay within the box set a bit. 30k on the cheap if possible! Reworking the list though, Deredo is an amazing looking model and I might have to shell out for one.

edit: gently caress this poo poo is expensive. Any sort of transport and/or Legion specific troops are just insanely expensive, even by GW standards!

:china:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Sir Teabag posted:

So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favourite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

40k is a giant mess, 30k hasn't been ruined yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

serious gaylord posted:

Khan is described as a very very very good fighter, and routinely mentioned as at the top of the pile by the other Primarchs.

And of course they'll release rules for the Emperor. They've said they're going to do a model for him, of course there will be rules. I imagine only playable in one specific scenario in the assault on the Vengeful Spirit but there will be rules for him.

Eh... every primarch gets hyped up, and Khan says himself in Scars that his only particular strength versus other primarchs is that none of them have ever seen him fight and so don't know what to expect. I'd expect him to be very hit-and-run oriented.

I really, really don't think they're going to release rules for the Emperor unless they're "You lose."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sir Teabag posted:

To be honest, I've always felt the idea that Forge World was a means of cranking out expensive and overpowered models has always been a bit of a myth. There may have been some truth when they just made Titans and Superheavies, since they're kinda overpowered by design, but since they've moved onto Horus Heresy and producing their own campaign books their rules tend to be more side-grades and alternatives to GW's stuff. TBH the sooner the myth dies the better, it'd be nice to be able to use my Contemptors or my Taghamata without being accused of being a filthy neckbearded power-gamer.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cythereal posted:

I really, really don't think they're going to release rules for the Emperor unless they're "You lose."

Really? What if I'm playing Horus? The Emperor didn't walk out a winner in that one

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Really? What if I'm playing Horus*? The Emperor didn't walk out a winner in that one

*Horus infused with the powers of the chaos gods.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
pffffffft whatever

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, pretend I put a :goonsay: in my last post.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Horus Transfigured

TKIY posted:

You can pay a few points per model to give them a chainsword in addition to the bolter, pistol, and grenades. I recommend this for Iron Hands because it's one of the few legions that can run blobs in practically any meta. Your line troops are tough and guaranteed to make it where you need them to be. Those additional attacks are a godsend because opponents can no longer block them with cheaper chaff units and you are less likely to get stuck in a tactical blob mirror match. Having 40 melee attacks instead of 20 also forces enemies to either use dedicated melee units, heavy weapons, or ignore them outright. These are all good things.

Sir Teabag posted:

So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favorite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

From my perspective:
  • Only troops score. Dedicated transports do not have obsec and allies cannot ride in each other's transports.
  • No unbound, no formations, no multiple army detachments, no tactical objective cards, and only battle bros confer any benefits.
  • 6 core missions unique to the setting. They favor midfield engagements with a lower emphasis on mobility and more on attrition over time.
  • Melee is a bigger part of 30k. Despite how 7th edition favors shooting, assault happens often due to the number of models involved, the mission types, and how resistant marines are in general.
Those things combined make it a different kind of game than 40k. It feels more 'balanced' despite the crazy amount of options each army has. Also it's not a clusterfuck, unlike 40k.

:ussr::respek::china:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Do you know off the top of your head which book the 6 core missions are in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Red Admech Book and 161 of Book 5 (tempest).

I'd love to put these into the OP so people don't need to spend money on a book just for the core rules. I bet the new Legion red book will have them in there, but that's probably 4+ months away.