Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which gif of takane shijou eating is your favorite
This poll is closed.
1st 13 9.15%
2nd 52 36.62%
3rd 22 15.49%
4th 11 7.75%
5th 12 8.45%
6th 32 22.54%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I like how all of the characters in Baccano are just like "total immortality that we can end at any point in time? hell yeah, let's party!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Keith is just the best outright. The biggest failing of the anime is it not giving him his big scene in the 1932 story. :(
While I still hold the Baccano! anime in high regard, I've never fully forgiven them for cutting out pretty much all the cool stuff that happens in Drug & The Dominoes.

Luck and Eve's novel counterparts are also better than their anime equivalents (not that either of them were bad, just inferior).

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Actually all Baccano characters are cool, except like Szilard I guess.
Szilard was a good bad guy. He also gave us Ennis so hey silver lining.

R Bruce Elliot's performance as Szilard for the English dub was also fantastic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't remember the Gandors.

I know there's the oldest, who I think is Keith. He doesn't talk much. Mexican sword chick is enamored with him.

Then there's the middle guy, who's the big one.

And then there's... Lucky? The softy?

Or was Lucky the barber / torturer?

Luck is the youngest one. He got his arm shot off and then killed a man with it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Luck is the youngest one. He got his arm shot off and then killed a man with it.

That I remember.

Oh right and the Slasher or whatever is their adopted brother. I remember that part.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I now feel like rewatching Baccano.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Accelerator books were always my favorite cause his stories just seemed more fun than Touma's. Probably because I prefer espers to magicians.

I think everyone does.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

While I still hold the Baccano! anime in high regard, I've never fully forgiven them for cutting out pretty much all the cool stuff that happens in Drug & The Dominoes.

Luck and Eve's novel counterparts are also better than their anime equivalents (not that either of them were bad, just inferior).

I watched the anime again after having read the novel translations and it was really disappointing that basically all the cool contrast and comparisons that Luck and Eve had just weren't included at all. But I thought them not having the scene where Keith puts a gun to Claire's head and gets him to apologize was worse.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like Kitoh is probably one of those authors who when you ask him "Don't you think your stories are a bit dark?" responds with some nonsense like "Life is dark."
Life is Strange xD

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of stuff with real dodgy poo poo in it, I reread Gunsmith Cats last month and I'd forgotten the entirety of the Goldie arc. Apparently Burst is even more Goldie, so I'm glad I decided not to read it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

Life is Strange xD

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

this marshmallow manga just taught me that theres women only subway cars in japan

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

That's my kinda subway car

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Budget Prefuse posted:

this marshmallow manga just taught me that theres women only subway cars in japan

Yeah, groping was a big enough problem that they had to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

littleorv posted:

:barf:

That first paragraph made me physically ill
I tried looking him up after typing that post and apparently he goes on to cause even more trouble, or something. He's human garbage.

But hey, Kitoh can't linger on that. Gotta make time for one of the kids to have a mental breakdown as he's forced to personally slaughter the entire population of a planet - every man, woman, child, and animal - or his own universe will blink out of existence. Did I mention this turn of events is his reward for trying to show compassion to his enemy? No? How about the fact that he watched his biological mom commit suicide (for the sake of humanity) shortly after the two of them were reunited?

The kicker for me is that Bokurano tries to play all this off against the more existentialist theme of "Life is what you make it." Kitoh's either a hack or he's got a sick sense of humor. Possibly both.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

is bokurano just gantz4kids

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I had to drop Comet Lucifer because just thinking about watching another episode of it was making me actively unhappy. Last time that happened was Build Fighters Try and that was on a much grander scale. The first season of Build Fighters was so good that watching Try was like getting my heart trampled on once a week because it's like somebody was intentionally taking the worst possible decisions. Fixing Try would be so easy and that was the worst part.

So yeah, Comet Lucifer's my big disappointment of the season, but I haven't dropped anything else so I'm otherwise doing pretty well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I watched the anime again after having read the novel translations and it was really disappointing that basically all the cool contrast and comparisons that Luck and Eve had just weren't included at all. But I thought them not having the scene where Keith puts a gun to Claire's head and gets him to apologize was worse.
Claire doesn't even pull the job the Gandors explicitly hired him to do!

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

homeless snail posted:

Doesn't Gantz have a random 200 year timeskip?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have resumed HxH after a brief break and Gon is very angry this episode.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Still glad I chose not to get into Kitoh because I was in my phase of "dark stories are not for me." Still not big into dark stories but I read them occasionally if they lead somewhere with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Claire doesn't even pull the job the Gandors explicitly hired him to do!

I know!!!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Reds posted:

Doesn't Gantz have a random 200 year timeskip?

No

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Okay, that's why I asked. I'm sure something written by that author has a big timeskip in it. I have not read anything by that author though so there's a 70% chance of me talking out of my rear end here.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Allarion posted:

Still glad I chose not to get into Kitoh because I was in my phase of "dark stories are not for me." Still not big into dark stories but I read them occasionally if they lead somewhere with it.
Dark stories can be satisfying. Stories that deal with heavy themes can be satisfying. Bokurano was just a waste of time - which the ending solidifies, by the by.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Booting up LISA.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like we should all just uninstall Bokurano from our memories.:smug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Dark stories suck when they don't actually do anything to earn their tone or go anywhere in the end.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Watching Casshern Sins, particularly the early episodes, was an awful time full of misery.

Great show, watch it and then watch one of your cute girl shows immediately afterwards.

Sometimes you got episodes that weren't though. Jin was a really cool guy who only appeared once. He was immune to the Ruin because he had too much justice in him. It was great.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Reds posted:

Okay, that's why I asked. I'm sure something written by that author has a big timeskip in it. I have not read anything by that author though so there's a 70% chance of me talking out of my rear end here.
the only thing like that that happens in gantz is when gantz sends them to italy for no good reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Reds posted:

Watching Casshern Sins, particularly the early episodes, was an awful time full of misery.

Great show, watch it and then watch one of your cute girl shows immediately afterwards.

Follow up each episode with an episode of Heartcatch Precure!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

homeless snail posted:

it's the show that makes 11 year olod kids in middle school cry a lot

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Decided to read chapter 47 of Hinamatsuri first.

I just want Nitta to be happy for once.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The Colonel posted:

Follow up each episode with an episode of Heartcatch Precure!

The only thing I know about Pretty Cure is that it has ludicrously well animated fight scenes sometimes, and that the VA for CureBlack from one of the early series (maybe the first?) played a victim-of-the-week kid on Kamen Rider Black and Black RX, which is a fun coincidence. I hear the series she's from is more brawl-heavy than the others.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Dark stories can be satisfying. Stories that deal with heavy themes can be satisfying. Bokurano was just a waste of time - which the ending solidifies, by the by.

Bad Seafood posted:

Booting up LISA.

I wish I knew enough about the two series so I could make a joke by connecting the two.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, Casshern Sins is a good show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really enjoyed Toaru at first (I own the entire first season and like 2 or 3 of the second season in Korean) and read it religiously whenever Baka-Tsuki updated it, but now I just find it so uninspiring and bland. An evil character tries to destroy the world, causes a ton of trouble for everyone, then Touma punches them in the face and redeems them. Also Touma is all about telling people they should feel free to ask him for help but keeps balking when Misaka tries to do so.

A powerful character joins at the end of a volume, only to be neutralized by the boss of the current novel.

So many characters, but the author brings them in for a while and then leaves them out to dry.

I dunno, maybe it gets better but from what I've read in terms of spoilers I don't really think it does.

railgun is better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think Xenogears is my favorite dark JRPG story because in between a lot of legit cool character stuff I loved was a bunch of loving crazy insane religious poo poo and then some ridiculous super giant robot action and a character with a Giant Robo/Tetsujin-28 and then the Yggrasil turned into the Super Dimension Fortress Macross or something and it was amazing.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The gantz mangaka's new comic is about an old dude who gets turned bionic or something and I think I'm going to read it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Reds posted:

The only thing I know about Pretty Cure is that it has ludicrously well animated fight scenes sometimes, and that the VA for CureBlack from one of the early series (maybe the first?) played a victim-of-the-week kid on Kamen Rider Black and Black RX, which is a fun coincidence. I hear the series she's from is more brawl-heavy than the others.

Heartcatch has the same character designer as Casshern Sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aggghh what a cheap pullback in the final nozaki kun

• Locked thread