Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

red hat is based on fedora, really?

it's the upstream, yean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

I looked into scl as first mentioned by MrMoo itt but scl is kind of roundabout with the sourcing the context and poo poo so I decided to just go with epel and... well

compiling python 3 from source sounds absurd and overkill but welp it really seems like the more straightforward solution for now

loving use anaconda you fucker

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's the upstream, yean

huh i always thought it was the other way around, because i don't know jack poo poo about the differences between linuxes except for the logos.

i decided to educate myself and found this lol

quote:

July 4, 29; August 19 2002
RHL 7.3.29, 7.3.93, 7.3.94
Limbo/(null)
Due to the circumstances causing this name change in the middle of this release cycle, all our code names now need to be approved by Red Hat's legal department.

lmbo what were the circumstances, i don't get it. did they name it something unsavory?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i never knew lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
is "centos fonts hosed" a good enough reason to re-install linux, but this time a fedora? my idiot opinion is 'yes', and away i go

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

is "centos fonts hosed" a good enough reason to re-install linux, but this time a fedora? my idiot opinion is 'yes', and away i go

if you're using centos as a desktop operation system then you already hosed up. install fedora.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

are you using centos like, on a desktop?

don't do that!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use Linux on your desktop. or really don't use Linux anywhere

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
calm down its a laptop

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Linux on the desktop has made it into the mainstream - http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/new-encryption-ransomware-targets-linux-systems/

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
hells yeah. unlike centos, fedora correctly detected the windows 7 partition and configured grub right and didn't repeatedly and ironically crash on the "kdump" config screen. and these fonds, well these fonts are Nice.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
it was probably 16 years ago that i installed my first linux. it took the better part of the weekend just to do the install, i had to figure out stuff like partition the drive by sectors. and then recompile the kernel to get the soundblaster to work. and then re-install linux again to fix the fuckup from doing a bad job compiling the kernel. then waiting a week to find a us robotics serial modem because nobody had written a drive for my win modem.

and now here i am 16 years later, installed a linux real quick, and everything works. and the fonts look nice.

lads, i think linux is ready for the laptop.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

python rules if you just want portable / saner bash.

please do not write your application in it, though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i guess my question is why you trust the OS vendor to patch and update third-party software better than the software vendor.

i have contracts with canonical and red hat. i'm not going to sign hundreds of other contracts with consultants to try and get that level of support from upstream authors

additionally, i can rely on redhat to maintain a stable base for 10 years at a time. they'll backport security fixes without expecting me to upgrade to the newest versions of software

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

crazypenguin posted:

we could have had this ages ago, and we probably still will get it... eventually.

I think the problem is distro devs who have an irrational hatred for "bundling".

I mean, the kind of thing you mention is a solution to concerns about bundling, but you see, if we attempt to build the infrastructure to support such a thing, those drat users might use it to do bundling!!

this always struck me as a real-world equivalent of "spider? burn the house down!" and I think it's had a disastrous effect on linux in general.

bundling is not real popular inside of a distribution because it flies in the face of their internal operations. there's a guy who handles libxml, and a guy who handles nokogiri, and the nokogiri guy doesn't want to worry about libxml versioning / security issues and vice versa.

if you are an isv or an end user, sure, bundling is a halfway reasonable option. you're gonna want to keep a close eye on a whole lot of security mailing lists though. do a find on your virtualenv or bundler directories -- there's a lotta fuckin SOs in there.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

the best python

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

don't use Linux on your desktop. or really don't use Linux anywhere

it's too late for that dude, even microsoft uses linux for some things these days, it ain't going away any time soon

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

it's too late for that dude, even microsoft uses linux for some things these days, it ain't going away any time soon

microsoft <3 linux

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

tbh linux rules

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

linux is the best *nix

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

other than bsd i guess

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually its apple operating system x 10.11.1 el capitan

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

actually its apple operating system x 10.11.1 el capitan

it's good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
otoh its poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

anaconda is great but I'm not using any of the scientific stuff for this so I was hoping I could get away with a basic python 3 installation

I think the takeaway from this is that yes, just doing stuff in python 2 is still the less problematic option in the year of 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my anaconda don't

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just realized that I could use just miniconda HMMMM

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think the takeaway from this is that yes, just doing stuff in python 2 is still the less problematic option in the year of 2015

gently caress you for this, red hat, py3 is part of the base image in the most recent stable version of every distribution except RHEL, and i bet it took specific effort to exclude it from RHEL 7 since it was in that fedora release (dont remember which one)

e: fedora 19, and python 3.3.2 is present in the live image, im debating whether i want to actually install it to disk to see if its there in an actual install

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 10, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
so far the only way fedora is worse for working on this dumb poo poo i'm working on is that i can't figure out how to export my cisco vpn ssl cert in a way that openconnect can read. otherwise, boy oh boy is it needs suiting.

wtf is up with `yum` being deprecated? i thought it was the thing people liked.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lol no. people hate yum, it's slow as poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
replaced with dnf noob

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I used to be a big yum advocate a long time ago because I thought Debian users were retards but I was wrong. apt was and continues to be far superior

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yum and apt have been deprecated by the App Store on Mac OS X El Capitan

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i thought the freebsd ports system was good. where you just have a huge hierarchy of make files and say "oh look another one of those games where you push around blocks to the right place, nice,. make && make install"

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

i thought the freebsd ports system was good. where you just have a huge hierarchy of make files and say "oh look another one of those games where you push around blocks to the right place, nice,. make && make install"

you can still do this except it's usually just one command now. mostly you can set it all to auto-update so it just seamlessly patches itself, works well

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pacman shits on both deb+apt and rpm+dnf

arch is really really ftw in a lot of ways, it would be nice if there was some sort of RHEL style long-term-supported snapshot derivative.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
unfortunately it still uses the equivalent of maintaner scripts running as root in order to install/uninstall stuff instead of being declarative (loving MSI of all things gets this right). But the package format is very simple & nice and idk why deb is so stupid complex by comparison.

other than that though, imagine apt and dpkg, except lightning fast. and instead of using apt-get for some thing, apt-cache for others, and dpkg for other poo poo you just use one command

apt-cache search xterm
apt-cache show xterm
apt-get install xterm
dpkg -s xterm
dpkg -L xterm
dpkg -S /usr/bin/xterm

becomes

pacman -Ss xterm
pacman -Si xterm
pacman -S xterm
pacman -Qi xterm
pacman -Ql xterm
pacman -Qo /usr/bin/xterm

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

pacman shits on both deb+apt and rpm+dnf

lol in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Dog posted:

other than that though, imagine apt and dpkg, except lightning fast. and instead of using apt-get for some thing, apt-cache for others, and dpkg for other poo poo you just use one command.
Try "apt". (It could be faster with indexing, but hey, that takes time to build too)