Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. Just wow. I watched football this weekend and they are talking about Veterans. They spent tens of thousands of dollars to reoutfit every team with camo style sideline gear so we can tell the NFL cares. Local places are giving me free meals and discounts because I'm a veteran. A lot of patriotic music is playing in places, and its clear that a lot of people Support Are Troops. The local grocery store is giving out free breakfast.

So of course I log onto Something Awful expecting at least a free avatar, free archives, SOMETHING FREE to show that Lowtax cares about our vets. Instead we are met with silence.

Silence from someone who obviously doesn't recognize that freedom isn't free and that my military service entitles me to a ton of free poo poo.

Just like years past when I made the paper for complaining there weren't enough deals for local veterans, here too shall SA feel the wrath of the Veterans.

Lowtax CLEARLY doesn't care about sacrifice and I just wanted to call him out for being a care-nothing liberal that hates America. Not even a camo background for GBS. Shameful. I'm scheduled to go on Fox News in 3 hours, prepare yourself for a world of hurt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Shame on you, lowtax.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Instead Lowtax mass executed long time veterans of GBS.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Microwaves Mom posted:

Instead Lowtax mass executed long time veterans of GBS.

I fought in countless gbs wars and that was the thanks I got

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
soldiers suck :twisted:

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
I think Lowtax ignoring retired-paid-murderer day is a good thing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Freedom is free gently caress our troops (wives and girlfriends)

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Come back on Wednesday.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
In my experience as a geriatric nurse here in Germany in the 90s, we could easily merge this thread with the fecal swastika one.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Snickers is the official snack food of the 1984 something or other.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

He actually hates vets because of Shmorkys botched neutering

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Crash_N_Burn posted:

He actually hates vets because of Shmorkys botched neutering

:drat:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Wait is today Veterans Day?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

I.C. posted:

Snickers is the official snack food of the 1984 something or other.

That's good. I never "got" the popularity of Mars bars, anyway.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Wait is today Veterans Day?

No its tomorrow, but like every other entity in the United States, it officially started on Saturday and goes through the end of this week.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Jastiger posted:

No its tomorrow, but like every other entity in the United States, it officially started on Saturday and goes through the end of this week.

Alright, I am not even joking anymore, because this is genuinely hard to understand for me. Does that mean that by some weird definition, there are days that last from Saturday to the end of the week in the US? So do things like "Labor day" or "Women's day" or "MLK day" last for a week as well?

As I said, I am not trying to be snarky right now or anything. How does that work?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ibogaine posted:

Alright, I am not even joking anymore, because this is genuinely hard to understand for me. Does that mean that by some weird definition, there are days that last from Saturday to the end of the week in the US? So do things like "Labor day" or "Women's day" or "MLK day" last for a week as well?

As I said, I am not trying to be snarky right now or anything. How does that work?

i would assume stupid pointless days like those don't get the same treatment as ARE TROOPS DAY

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Prolly just saw my posting and was like "Well gently caress those guys" so we really shouldn't blame him

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is the last straw. I'm officially going on a hunger strike until lowtax resigns as forums president. I asked Lowtax what posting oppression means to him and he told me that its when a poster feels like they aren't equal in our posting society and that was an UNACCEPTABLE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I'm a veteran of many internet flame wars, when is my holiday?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lowtax posted:

Festivus iirc

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

february 30

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

No it would have to be Festivus. First you post a pole, decorate it with atleast 1 goku, then air your grievances about every little thing. If that isn't the BBS holiday I don't know what could be

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Lowtax posted:

You don't have one. As a veteran of many internet flamewars, you have absolutely nothing to celebrate.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ibogaine posted:

Sounds like somebody lives in a country without enough Freedom :911:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
p sure lowtax fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Depends on which side you were fighting for.

Ibogaine posted:

Its not an official holiday for the whole week, but they did start celebrating and alluding to it on Saturday.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's more like all the poo poo companies all over the US start posting "Veterans Day" sales all week

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Update on my hunger strike, I just ate a bagel but it was a small one and I'm still pretty hungry. As far as I know Lowtax hasn't resigned yet.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Jastiger posted:

Its not an official holiday for the whole week, but they did start celebrating and alluding to it on Saturday.

So is it comparative to the run up towards christmas, when shops put up decorations early and begin to sell christmasy stuff in Octobre? Or is it more official and codified than that?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ibogaine posted:

So is it comparative to the run up towards christmas, when shops put up decorations early and begin to sell christmasy stuff in Octobre? Or is it more official and codified than that?

I wouldn't say its as comparative. I don't think anything can compare to the nonsense that is Christmas. They just put up Christmas lights in downtown here YESTERDAY.
But its up there. They did redo all of the NFL's gear and the commercials and stuff have really kicked up. The DoD does definitely push the idea quite a bit now a days though.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Jastiger posted:

I wouldn't say its as comparative. I don't think anything can compare to the nonsense that is Christmas. They just put up Christmas lights in downtown here YESTERDAY.
But its up there. They did redo all of the NFL's gear and the commercials and stuff have really kicked up. The DoD does definitely push the idea quite a bit now a days though.

I didn't know any of that. The last time I was in the US in November was more than 20 years ago, and I didn't notice any of that. Maybe there was less of it back in the 90s.

Anyway, thanks! It always feels good to learn something new!

edit: I mean that I didn't notice the veteran's day decorations. There was a lot of tacky christmas stuff around early, but then again that is the same here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I came home to protests. They spit on me!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Unless you fought in WW2 you served in a military fighting unjust Wars to protect western hegemony and line the pockets of corporatist scum by killing people we had no business killing and can get hosed.

Happy Veterans Day.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ibogaine posted:

I didn't know any of that. The last time I was in the US in November was more than 20 years ago, and I didn't notice any of that. Maybe there was less of it back in the 90s.

Anyway, thanks! It always feels good to learn something new!

edit: I mean that I didn't notice the veteran's day decorations. There was a lot of tacky christmas stuff around early, but then again that is the same here.

Granted, I wasn't an adult back in the 90s to notice it, but I can say that its definitely become more of a thing. Corporatization has really profound impacts on American culture by putting it in our face. It used to be "Woo Veterans Day sale, come on down!". Now its a 3 hour special on TV, everything is themed Veterans day, Corporations are giving freebies to vets and putting it EVERYWHERE, non profits are broadcasting their friendliness to the Vets and so on. The reach is a lot further when there is money involved.

I was really surprised when I watched football Sunday. I mean sure, honor the vets, but literally every team had an entire wardrobe brand new with camo interspersed with team colors. That had to cost millions to do for every team with multiple units per person on the sideline. Maybe we should just call it the Komenization of everything since they started it.

GET ON IT LOWTAX.

EvilJoven posted:

Unless you fought in WW2 you served in a military fighting unjust Wars to protect western hegemony and line the pockets of corporatist scum by killing people we had no business killing and can get hosed.

Happy Veterans Day.

Does that make them victims or jerks?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The veterans? If they couldn't suck enough dicks to not get drafted for Korea/Vietnam, victims. Otherwise, jerks.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

We all wear this already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I prefer Memorial Day over Veteran's Day, at least the folks we celebrate on Memorial Day had the courtesy to die.

• Locked thread