Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

i mean IRC as a protocol can probably be adapted to the enterprise but only if you put a graphical client in front of it that will autoconnect to the right server and hide all of its legacy horror

e: and i mean graphical too, not some x11 "console in a window" hsit

ee:

please dont doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
is this programming? our sql database had mojibake in it, so i ran
s/ä/ä/g
s/ö/ö/g
s/Ã¥/å/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g
on a dump and that seems to have fixed it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Barnyard Protein posted:

i shouldn't have said shell shocked, that wording implies that there is something wrong with them. they are the minority that acts viscerally upset when a part comes out hilariously broken, everyone else is like "oh well, lol"

coming back to this after a couple weeks

fish don't know they're in water. intc eng doesn't know they're in process. they become vaguely aware of it when it frustrates some quick change, but in general there are classes of mistakes that they don't hit because of it

like that atlantic article talking about programmers should back off the term "engineer", sw "engineering" instead of development is going to look a lot like intc's process

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Wheany posted:

s/ä/ä/g
s/ö/ö/g
s/Ã¥/å/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g

i'm triggering

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm triggering

i hope you mean stored procuring, friend

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
sprocking, natch

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blotto Skorzany posted:

what? you don't need a bouncer or any of that poo poo. let your irc client live in a screen/tmux/whatever session in your vps, boom done

This is a fake post, right ? RIGHT ?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah you can run tmux on a vps but any ops person can just log in as root and attach to their session and pretend to be them

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Wheany posted:

s/ä/ä/g
s/ö/ö/g
s/Ã¥/å/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g

are you a mysql dba

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Wheany posted:

s/ä/ä/g
s/ö/ö/g
s/Ã¥/å/g

utf-8 read as latin-1

>>> "ä".encode('utf-8').decode('latin-1')
'ä'
>>> "ö".encode('utf-8').decode('latin-1')
'ö'
>>> "å".encode('utf-8').decode('latin-1')
'Ã¥'

quote:

s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g

i think these have been utf-8 encoded twice.

>>> u"Ö".encode('utf-8')
'\xc3\x96'
>>> "\xc3\x83\xc2\x96".decode('utf-8')
u'\xc3\x96'

but uh i think you got some of them wrong.

>>> u"Ä".encode('utf-8')
'\xc3\x84'
>>> u"ä".encode('utf-8')
'\xc3\xa4'
>>> "\xc3\x82\xc2\x84".decode('utf-8')
u'\xc2\x84'
>>>

the first line is Ä not ä

enjoy your data cleaning

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the binary. All I see is utf-8, latin-1, cp437 . Hey uh, you want a drink?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Î/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/Ô/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g # hey this is the same as 1st
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g # this is right
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g # this too
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g # ok 3 out of 7 is not bad tbh

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
there is a whole part of my brain that can handle mojibake and i will never learn something useful. never work in web scraping

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Wheany posted:

s/ä/ä/g
s/ö/ö/g
s/Ã¥/å/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g

the nightmares of double encoded utf-8 characters due to incompetent developers.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
my favorite was when sending a request with any encoded unicode, the server would return 200 and a blank json.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

tef posted:

there is a whole part of my brain that can handle mojibake and i will never learn something useful. never work in web scraping

understanding text encoding is really sweet because you can solve trivial problems for people and they'll look at you like you're some kind of wizard

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ã¥¥¥¥¥¥ ʃɯɐo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Ã¥¥¥¥¥¥ ʃɯɐo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

Ã¥¥¥¥¥¥ ʃɯɐo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

æýýýý łmåø

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
woe unto anyone who thinks that URL encoding is trivial

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it is because you google 'best url encoding library for language' and then never think about it again

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it is because you google 'best url encoding library for language' and then never think about it again
lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there are some sets of programming problems that i could not be less interested in and string encoding is one of them. i just don't care.

i will follow best practices and defer to people who do care it when i hit weird cases

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 10, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

haha whoops the implementation of IMPORTANT_WEB_SERVICE chokes when you urlencode parameters like ' ' to '%20' even though thats the spec, time to google 'technically poo poo but extendable for my poo poo use case'

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

all these red hats are confusing me!!!!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
actually that's as likely to get you in the worst possible situation where your app's data is broken because you're using a library implementation (such as JDK URLEncoder/Decoder*) that is broken

e.g. the time at amazon when i had a german bitching in my inbox for a month because the company's homebrewed "unicode" "library" choked on umlauts, until finally I copied a whole code path out of the library into the app and replaced non-ASCII with dots.

*they implement form data encoding not URL encoding. lmao if you think these are the same

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

all these red hats are confusing me!!!!

i still have the red fedora red hat gave me when i joined the company

its sitting on top of my fridge

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

*they implement form data encoding not URL encoding. lmao if you think these are the same

but its called x-www-form-urlencoded

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
curl -v -H "Content-type: application/x-gon-give-it-to-ya" https://somebody.else.finish.this.joke.please.com/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

sometimes, for some subjects and some environments, threaded conversations are good.
sometimes, for some subjects and some environments, threaded conversations are bad.

its crazy

did you know? somethingawful.com llc has threaded conversations

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

tef posted:

s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x84/Ä/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x8e/Î/g
s/\xc3\x82\xc2\x94/Ô/g
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x84/Ä/g # hey this is the same as 1st
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x96/Ö/g # this is right
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\xa9/é/g # this too
s/\xc3\x83\xc2\x85/Å/g # ok 3 out of 7 is not bad tbh

well, it seems to have fixed most of them at least, it is our crm db and our sales people wanted it fixed so that they would not add Heikki Hämäläinen to the database twice because it was already there as Heikki Hämäläinen

if something is still hosed up, i can do it again. basically i just grepped the file for à and tried to fix anything that came up. the hard part was figuring out those hex escapes in the first place. and yeah, some of them might be wrong/duplicated because i was doing it pretty late and while sipping wine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FamDav posted:

did you know? somethingawful.com llc has threaded conversations

those internal company chat services should have like a genchat for each dept/team/whatever, and then an admin/team lead (or everyone, depending how well behaved they are) can chuck sections of the genchat into their own threads when they become too noisy or genchat does

best of botth worlds!!

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Wheany posted:

well, it seems to have fixed most of them at least, it is our crm db and our sales people wanted it fixed so that they would not add Heikki Hämäläinen to the database twice because it was already there as Heikki Hämäläinen

if something is still hosed up, i can do it again. basically i just grepped the file for à and tried to fix anything that came up. the hard part was figuring out those hex escapes in the first place. and yeah, some of them might be wrong/duplicated because i was doing it pretty late and while sipping wine.

doubly encoded utf-8? i got curious about that and found this on stack overflow. i've never used ruby before and have no idea if this would work, but maybe something like this can help in the future and you can avoid find-and-replacing like a caveman.

hth :tipshat:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

Ã¥¥¥¥¥¥ ʃɯɐo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr Dog posted:

Ã¥¥¥¥¥¥ ʃɯɐo

this is gonna be my new title text if I ever get a cooler avatar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why is string janitoring still a thing ityool 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh lemme guess it stems entirely from people using garbage languages/libs/tools/platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no language is without encoding sin, not one