Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marumaru
May 20, 2013

Gortarius posted:

1.So is this game poo poo or not?

2. Is it fun to play,

3.does it have any innovation?

4.Does it run ok, or is it an unoptimized resource hog?

5.Bugs and glitches are okay as far as I am concerned, crashing not so much. Is it even somewhat stable in that regard?

1. More or less, read on:

2. It can be fun, yeah, if you're into this kinda stuff. There's way less roleplaying elements (not sure if it can even be considered a role playing game anymore), though, so it's closer to Borderlands than to Morrowind, for instance

3. Not really, no. It's following the formula of previous Bethesda games with a few changes and additions

4. I'm running it on a 4690K, 12GB of RAM and a 970, on a SSD, and I'm getting from 40 to 60FPS. It's often closer to 40 than to 60, especially in cities. It doesn't run well, no, and the visuals don't justify it either.

5. There's a ton of bugs and glitches (some are very very bad), but crashes aren't that frequent. I've crashed twice so far (not that it's at all acceptable for a AAA $60 game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

computer parts posted:

Fallout 3's music is one area that it was better than NV (exception being that Fallout 3 doesn't have Big Iron)

Well yeah but it was Fallout 3's music. This is Fallout 4, I want it to have its own identity.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 10, 2015

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

The terminal behind you.

Much obliged, as soon as I read your post, I found the dang thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Trade routes from settlement to settlement don't make profit. They just let you use the materials at one to build stuff at another settlement that is connected. So if I keep all my steel and wood etc... in one central location and setup routes between them it will make construction easier but doesn't make you any money. Your settlers will harvest food automatically and deposit it into the toolbox and then you can sell it. Also you setup merchant stalls that you can't trade with but just generate passive caps. They generate a tiny amount of money like 10-20 caps per day for a level 2 stall in a 16 person settlement. A level 2 stall of weapons is like 1000 caps to build. Total waste of money. The third type of water pump produces 40 water per day (you don't get the whole thing however I think just the excess of what people drink) and water is selling for me 8 caps each with level 1 of that barter perk. Purified water is also incredibly useful as a healing item. My main base is pumping about 60 water to sell per day. Compared to those merchant stalls which are making 20 caps per day.

Man that's loving stupid. 480 caps per day ain't a bad yield for water though. I suppose you could get it up over 1,000 per day fairly quickly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

computer parts posted:

Fallout 3's music is one area that it was better than NV (exception being that Fallout 3 doesn't have Big Iron)

If Butcher Pete is back I can forgive pretty much anything else.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

Tr33 posted:

Nope. Seems like Boners got the most stable version for now.

I knew that drinking all that mountain dew would pay off one day :v:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Am I missing something in regards to radiation management? It's so easy to gain and the only ways I've found to deal with it are pretty rare so far, it honestly feels like it's supposed to go down over time or something instead of leaving me at half health unless I use one of my incredibly rare rad-aways(or get one of the radiation perks I suppose).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kimmalah posted:

If Butcher Pete is back I can forgive pretty much anything else.

it is!

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
does anyone think this will be cheaper than the 48 bucks it is currently on green gaming? is there a chance of it going down to like 35 bucks or something like that during black fridays? moneys tight but I want to play this at 4K

the code on green gaming is SAVE20-NOVEMB-GAMING

im really dying to play it since I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LvubPRR1D8

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I've ran into two bugs a lot:

1. when you use something, your char auto paths to it and if there's an object in the way you're hosed
2. terminals lock you in place

Other than that the game is good, plays on ultra with a 280x. The new perk system sucks, the new weapons are garbage. that's my yelp review

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Zeron posted:

Am I missing something in regards to radiation management? It's so easy to gain and the only ways I've found to deal with it are pretty rare so far, it honestly feels like it's supposed to go down over time or something instead of leaving me at half health unless I use one of my incredibly rare rad-aways(or get one of the radiation perks I suppose).

radaway is not rare you just needed to LOOT every bathroom mirror in the first town to stock up. those mirrors dont look like interactable objects so you might have missed a few

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Is there a guide for lighting interiors out there or are we still forging our way through the poorly documented path of discovery?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zeron posted:

I've been using the doctor in Diamond City and crafting RadAways, but I agree, it's pretty annoying

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

afkmacro posted:

The new perk system sucks,

Yeah not a fan.

I also did not realize last night you didn't need to invest in perks1-5 to get to invest in perk 6.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

if i take the pants off a corpse my whole screen gets fucky

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
I feel like keyboard controls in Fallout 4 were made by someone who never used one.

Let’s put bash, power attack and throw grenade on one button. Genius!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"What is the escape key going to do on this screen?" is a fun game to play on PC. Open up the pause menu? Back your out of your current menu? Cancel the act of cancelling? Who knows until you try because each screen's controls were made independent of each other by schizophrenics who've never used a keyboard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Piekuuns posted:

Let’s put bash, power attack and throw grenade on one button. Genius!

The worst part of that is that I don't think that can just be modded out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im probably just going to use my ps4 controller on the game because no amount of macro fuckery on my g13 can fix how my brain is wired to work and how this game expects it to work. It feels like the keyboard controls were an entire afterthought.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

FallenGod posted:

I remember when "time to patch some of the bugs" was something that happened before the game released.

Ah, to be young again.

I remember when Elder Scrolls Daggerfall was so broken at release that it crashed on the savegame screen, crashed on entering the inventory screen, or just crashed when you started a new game.

And Bethesda had to seperately release a save game converter because each major patch broke compatiability with previous saves.

Bethesda... Besthesda never changes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
gently caress you surprise radscorpion! Almost gave me a god damned heart attack! :argh:

I'm playing on hard and there's a nice bit of challenge to it. Even got my first legendary drop though I'm not a melee player at all. :unsmith:

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

Sunning posted:

I remember when Elder Scrolls Daggerfall was so broken at release that it crashed on the savegame screen, crashed on entering the inventory screen, or just crashed when you started a new game.

And Bethesda had to seperately release a save game converter because each major patch broke compatiability with previous saves.

How would they even patch it? Dagger fall was when, 93?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Questions that I somehow didn't think of while I was playing yesterday:

1. Do random critical hits outside of VATS still happen, or is the critical meter the only source of criticals?

2. Similarly, do headshots count as critical hits for the purpose of the Better Criticals perk?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sunning posted:

Didn't it also randomly generate dungeons that were sometimes just impossible to escape?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

busfahrer posted:

Patches existed even before the internet.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is there a way to convert stuff stored at the workbench to resources?

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I get the game running on Ultra with a stable(and locked) 30fps and it's all good and fun until I step inside some interior space with fog. Plummeted to the single digits. Any idea of what setting I could gently caress with to help out with that?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

busfahrer posted:

Back in the day patches were acquired via magazine cover disk or FTP and BBS for the hardcore nerds with dialup. I think maybe the devs or pubs would sometimes post them out on disk as well, I'm sure I received stuff in the mail for a game that was broken or missing something.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

busfahrer posted:

CDs that came with of mags had patches.

anatomi posted:

Is there a way to convert stuff stored at the workbench to resources?

I don't think you need to. It's automatically counted as its breakdown parts.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I've bought a copy today but before I get to it, can you confirm/deny whether the following is still true:
- Gamebryo makes the game basically unplayable because your dog got stuck in a staircase somewhere once. Gamebryo is also the reason why that has happened.
- The control scheme is terrible and clunky and renders the game unplayable
- All the characters in the game world are bland and uninspired and they all look the same, making it feel like you're playing a game.
- The story is shallow and is missing what made the older games so great. This is unrelated to the fact you're not 14 anymore.
- The only redeeming thing about previous games was changed in this.
- You had to download the game after you bought it which is bad.
- The game's unbalanced as gently caress because you killed a group of enemies really easy after finding this specific gear, but then got killed by another enemy which was weaker. Worse yet, the level scaling... bandits in glass armor... basically the game's easy and hard at the same time.
- All the quests are go from A to B, do thing, return for reward. This tired formula shows that bethesda is really incapable of thinking outside of four dimensions.
- There's a thing restricting your freedom.
- You have other more important stuff that you should be doing with your life, and with each hour playing this you feel closer to your inevitable end. This wouldn't be the case if the game had better pathfinding.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I name all my RPG characters George. Does Codsworth say George?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Vic posted:

I've bought a copy today but before I get to it, can you confirm/deny whether the following is still true:
- Gamebryo makes the game basically unplayable because your dog got stuck in a staircase somewhere once. Gamebryo is also the reason why that has happened.
- The control scheme is terrible and clunky and renders the game unplayable
- All the characters in the game world are bland and uninspired and they all look the same, making it feel like you're playing a game.
- The story is shallow and is missing what made the older games so great. This is unrelated to the fact you're not 14 anymore.
- The only redeeming thing about previous games was changed in this.
- You had to download the game after you bought it which is bad.
- The game's unbalanced as gently caress because you killed a group of enemies really easy after finding this specific gear, but then got killed by another enemy which was weaker. Worse yet, the level scaling... bandits in glass armor... basically the game's easy and hard at the same time.
- All the quests are go from A to B, do thing, return for reward. This tired formula shows that bethesda is really incapable of thinking outside of four dimensions.
- There's a thing restricting your freedom.
- You have other more important stuff that you should be doing with your life, and with each hour playing this you feel closer to your inevitable end. This wouldn't be the case if the game had better pathfinding.

-sensually removing pants from corpses breaks the game and is completely loving my immersion

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Is their a mumble where fallout goons chill and talk about how many ghouls we romanced?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

afkmacro posted:

CDs that came with of mags had patches.

I don't think you need to. It's automatically counted as its breakdown parts.

Thanks. D'you know if it works as it should with Scrapper?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can't get my PS4 controller to work. It's detected in bluetooth, calibrates under controller calibration in Win8, works in GTAV, but doesn't work in Fallout. I've got 'controller' turned on in the game settings (it was on by default). Anything else I should check?

I might just end up using a mouse/keyboard I guess.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
It's been said, but the game is so much nicer to play with iPresentInterval set to 0. You gotta cap your fps to 90 with rivatuner though or a bunch of poo poo breaks.

I also equalised the x & y sensitivity and turned off godrays.

About the most annoying thing now is my tab binding (so pipboy, context menus) breaks if you alt tab, but is fixed if you alt tab again :raise:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
"I'm coming for your little dog!" the raider jeered, as Dogmeat tore her face off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Daggerfall was also exceptionally huge for a game at the time.

Like in terms of file size, it was like 500MB.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Friend of mine has real bad motion sickness with the Bethesda Fallout games caused by the first person head bobbing. In previous versions he has had to wait for mods to remove/reduce the head bobbing, does FO4 have an option somewhere in the menus in the PC version or in the ini file to disable/adjust head bobbing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with the power armor when it runs out of juice and you leave it, does someone pick it up for you or do you just remember where you dropped it and go back with another core?

• Locked thread