Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
He lives in a small city with few IT professionals. I'm sure he'll bump into people from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
There's two weeks yet for him to deal with their jackassery. Have faith.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, he hasn't posted about how his supervisor reacted, so he's either now part of the Hoarders basement, or we just need to be patient.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Nothing sitcomy. Walked into GM's office and asked him if he had given any more thought to our conversation about giving me my own department and separating Engineering and IT. He said no and I told him that that was unfortunate and this is my official two week notice.

He asked why. I gave him an "are you loving kidding me look" and walked out.

The real drama will come when supervisor finds out :getin:

This rules, congrats dude! I pictured a mix of :geno: and :manning: when your GM asked why and can't stop giggling.

I can't wait for them to realize how poo poo their situation is with your CE when you stop fixing his screw-ups, and end up calling you back like 3 days after you leave. I'd be sorely tempted to laugh and hang up the phone.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The Supervisor Showdown™ was pretty much my entire experience with him condensed into a 45 second conversation.

The whole day went by without a word from him. I was wondering if I should bring it up or wait until the GM mentions it to him.

Late this afternoon, I'm sitting at my desk when he walks in and drops three or four boxes from B&H on a workbench and starts walking out.

:v: What are those?
:downs: What?
:v: Those boxes. What is in those boxes and what is it for?
:downs: It's for the new playout system.
:v: What is for the new playout system?
:downs: This stuff.
:v: Holy jumped up poo poo, can you just give me a straight answer for once?
:downs: This stuff is for the new playout system.
:v: ...
:downs: It's just some audio stuff I'm going to be putting in. It doesn't have anything to do with you.
:v: Are you going to be doing this in the next two weeks?
:downs: Probably not.
:v: Then it absolutely won't concern me, for once.
:downs: Right.

At this point, I'm starting to think he's an actual imbecile, rather than just an rear end in a top hat. Even if I do specifically state that I will no longer be employed here in two weeks, he'll either forget or just never listen to me in the first place.

I like the idea that, in two weeks, I'll just disappear as far as he's concerned.

Also, for those of you who are disappointed, my life has been a neverending waterfall of poo poo pouring constantly on my head. Every job I've ever had has been like this, and I'm not even going to pretend like I have hope that the next job won't be filled with sitcom quality shenanigans.

Stay tuned.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Have you given an actual HR person an actual written notice?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
No, see, he fixed the glitch. The problem will just kind of ... sort itself out.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

thebigcow posted:

Have you given an actual HR person an actual written notice?

Yeah, went through the whole process this morning after speaking with GM. The exit interview is gonna be fun on a bun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

At this point, I'm starting to think he's an actual imbecile, rather than just an rear end in a top hat.
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah, went through the whole process this morning after speaking with GM. The exit interview is gonna be fun on a bun.

Those are a thing? I just walk out the door :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tell them you have absolutely nothing else lined up because living under an overpass is preferential to working with CE

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those are a thing? I just walk out the door :v:

Depends on the place.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I think I speak for everyone when I say we want a transcript of the exit interview and what you tell the GM. Be as blunt as possible, loving napalm and C4 that bridge into oblivion, preferably with the CE present and with mention of everyone else who has either quit or put in notice for the same reasons you did.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
as a minority, stuff like larchesdanrew's racist supervisor who manage to worm their way into a position of power almost make me consider if this is even the field for me. :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Race Realists posted:

as a minority, stuff like larchesdanrew's racist supervisor who manage to worm their way into a position of power almost make me consider if this is even the field for me. :smith:

It makes me wonder if I can end up set for life like that if I start acting like a super racist moron, instead of someone who gives a poo poo about other people/the quality of work I do.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Race Realists posted:

At the CS department of the University I now attend, the racial makeup of the CS IT staff are as follows:

1 undifferentiated white man
1 haitian man
1 chinese man
1 cuban man

The student workers are:

1 white woman
3 white guys
2 black guys
1 Dominican girl

Everywhere I have worked in the past has been pretty racially diverse. I have also NEVER gotten an impression that anyone I worked with was a racist. I worked with one dude from Arkansas who moved up to the Boston area to live and work and he went through a bit of culture shock with gay people holding hands but he got over it and I think is way less out of his element at this point. I live in the Boston area though so it just might be different around here. The only area I have noticed a huge lack of diversity is with the gender gap but I honestly don't think that is something that was due to any bias at the places I have worked.

I just realized that I have never worked for a white person in IT.

I hope it isn't super weird that I just categorized all the ethnicities/races of the staff. It just kind of bummed me out that you would feel discouraged because of some rear end in a top hat guy in a rural (I am assuming rural) southern area is a dirtbag racist.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 10, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RFC2324 posted:

It makes me wonder if I can end up set for life like that if I start acting like a super racist moron, instead of someone who gives a poo poo about other people/the quality of work I do.

Strangle your conscience to death, learn to see every person you meet as a rag that you can wring work out of before discarding it, then just become a hatchet man. Get a management position somewhere, figure out who the highest-paid employees under you are, fire them (experience, effectiveness, productivity are all irrelevant here) just before a quarterly stock report or budget discussion happens, get a bonus. Do that a couple times, then change companies before the long-term consequences of cutting the company's best employees catches up with you. Pitch yourself to the new companies by citing how much money you saved your last company. Repeat for escalating salaries and bonuses.

Then count all your money in hell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RFC2324 posted:

________________________/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

larchesdanrew posted:

Late this afternoon, I'm sitting at my desk when he walks in and drops three or four boxes from B&H on a workbench and starts walking out.

:v: What are those?
:downs: What?
:v: Those boxes. What is in those boxes and what is it for?

holy poo poo that is a lot of caring for someone who just quit their job. why did you not just shrug and think to yourself 'whelp don't give a gently caress' when he walked out?

gently caress, if no one actually addressed me I wouldn't even ask about that poo poo with my current work colleagues, and I like them!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because his boss has a history of doing poo poo like that without saying anything and then demanding to know why <thing in the boxes> wasn't set up despite his having said nothing, requiring him to actively inquire about it?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because his boss has a history of doing poo poo like that without saying anything and then demanding to know why <thing in the boxes> wasn't set up despite his having said nothing, requiring him to actively inquire about it?

fair enough, I have not been following his epic saga for more than a couple weeks. that completely sucks though, so glad he quit.

also I'm sure this is a really silly question, but what is a CE? chief engineer?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

also I'm sure this is a really silly question, but what is a CE? chief engineer?
Yep.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

holy poo poo that is a lot of caring for someone who just quit their job. why did you not just shrug and think to yourself 'whelp don't give a gently caress' when he walked out?

gently caress, if no one actually addressed me I wouldn't even ask about that poo poo with my current work colleagues, and I like them!

What malachite said, and also because I'm not the kind of guy who becomes a short timer and goes into fuckoff mode. I still care about my job and how it reflects on me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Race Realists posted:

It's not every place that has these kinds of people - my job is pretty great and we joke around a little but never go overboard/out of bounds when it comes to race. Like, we have a couple really good humored black guys working with us, and once in a while one will pipe up with a sarcastic "oh, it's because I'm BLACK huh???" at random times and we all crack the gently caress up. One of them is lactose intolerant so we'll make little jokes at his expense like "hey, don't give him any cheese or he'll think he's melting from the inside out" or stupid stuff like that. Never serious, always in jest, and if someone isn't cool with it we're respectful and keep it quiet. Most of the folks have been there long enough and have good enough rapport/friendship that we lob goofy jokes back and forth and get the office howling.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

larchesdanrew posted:

What malachite said, and also because I'm not the kind of guy who becomes a short timer and goes into fuckoff mode. I still care about my job and how it reflects on me.

From what I've seen in this thread you could spend the next two weeks painting every wall with your own poo poo while giving the entire newsroom staff the finger and still be better thought of than the CE.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

The Supervisor Showdown™ was pretty much my entire experience with him condensed into a 45 second conversation.

I started writing a suggestion on how to mess with him, but I remembered that he's actually mentally ill so that's probably not going to end well.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Volmarias posted:

I started writing a suggestion on how to mess with him, but I remembered that he's actually mentally ill so that's probably not going to end well.
Hey, if he's going to wind up on the evening news it would be a really short trip for the reporters to cover it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Race Realists posted:

If you are any sort of sane, then no.
If you do it anyway, you forfeit any hope of sanity.

Serious question: does anyone else have a boss that sets you up to fail in performance evaluations?
3 of my co-workers have received scathing performance reviews that belittle their accomplishments, and highlight project shortcomings that really should be blamed on Boss' constant attempts at derailing everything.
They're all pretty upset and one is scared he's going to be fired. I'm pretty sure this won't happen, but I'm struggling to see what Boss is trying to achieve in doing this. Deny raises? We're guaranteed them so...
They've all made it crystal clear that he's wrong in his assessment as well as his approach, they're all gone to his boss as well as HR but it's pretty clear that nothing will come of that.
I'm afraid that Boss will be doing the same thing to the rest of his team as it comes time for each persons evaluation.

The problem is that it's causing a huge distraction and really loving up everyone's ability to work together and get anything done. Not to mention that everyone is unsettled by his reviews.

He's basically a begrudging, narcissistic, man-child with Asperger's. This, in itself is tolerable, but he far-too-often gets caught is petty semantic arguments, and 'dick-on-table' (and usually ignorant) shot calling that gently caress up everyone's productivity.

One example of how this manifests is he sets unrealistic expectations and deadlines.
If you can't meet his expectations, then obviously you've failed, and you're a horrible person, and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and you deserve to be flogged and should feel privileged to lick the scum from his toes.
But, if you strive to meet those deadlines and subsequently work more than 40 hours (we're salaried so this doesn't really matter anyway) then you're inefficient, and you're a horrible person, and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and you deserve to be flogged and should feel privileged to lick the scum from his toes.

tl;dr It's been expressed to Boss in every sort of way that he's poisoning the well. As a result, in his narcissistic rage he doubles the poison. How can I expect to mitigate this situation when it comes to my performance review?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a read of The No rear end in a top hat Rule

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Congratulations larches! :yotj:

I'm imagining the CE coming into your former office the day after you leave and going 'hey, why isn't this done yet, aren't you.... huh.'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You will re-live your final day at that job ad infinitum, Groundhog Day style.

Sorry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Have a read of The No rear end in a top hat Rule

Looks good. I'll have to check it out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For someone who has quit about 150 jobs I still haven't had an exit interview. Usually one of the primary reason I quit is because no one listens to me!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Serious question: does anyone else have a boss that sets you up to fail in performance evaluations?

Completely, had a boss who wanted to blame their "yes sir" incompetence on her staff. She basically said yes to anything promising it would be done quickly and never tell anyone else, not even ask if it was possible. Stuff would get sent to us months after it was supposed to be done asking why it wasn't done. She never did find the emails she claimed she sent us telling us to do them. Directed complaints at the department to whoever ended up assigned the task. Pretty much the entire team had written formal complaints in HR. Boss didn't show up to HR meetings about said complaints and no one was seen as being serious because Boss was best friends with HR Director.

Entire thing was a poo poo show.

Your boss hosed up, and is setting the team up as scapegoats.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used to, yes. I also had a supervisor who blamed me for something he did, browbeat me into admitting it was my fault(I didn't have proof it wasn't my fault, and "My refusal to admit my mistake" was delaying resolution of the issue), and then sent out a project wide e-mail blaming my incompetence for the delay. Less than fifteen minutes later someone else sent out an e-mail saying that they'd have to delay things anyway because of some new requirement they needed to push into the release and he let it go with no comment or apology.

After that I started documenting everything I did for everything, and let him twist in the wind the next time he needed help rather than bail him out like I usually did.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

As an rear end in a top hat, will reading No rear end in a top hat Rule give me new strategies to be a more effective rear end in a top hat?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

As you finish the last page, there will likely be an audible *pop* sound as you simply vanish from existence and the air rushes in to fill the void.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kurieg posted:

After that I started documenting everything I did for everything, and let him twist in the wind the next time he needed help rather than bail him out like I usually did.

This seems to be the route everyone else is going. Be obstinate, argue every point, document everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This seems to be the route everyone else is going. Be obstinate, argue every point, document everything.

The senior members of my team have gotten to the point where we just give zero fucks about pissing someone off internally. After telling people their design drafts are based on a tissue of lies so many times, we no longer have Technology Review meetings. They now just send us the draft asking for comments and then the actual review meetings are based on the resulting one-step-closer-to-reality designs. It turned out to be super-effective, but I'd only recommend it if a) you can survive the resulting initial fall-out and b) you have upper management that doesn't have their heads stuffed too far up their asses*

That and documenting everything. Oh, and saving all project emails for the entirety of the project.

* - Except for sales upper-management, they're always big cry-babies. Fortunately, most of upper management, including the CEO, come from engineering stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Don't work for assholes. It is the Golden Rule of my MSP when debating whether to take on a new client. "Would I work for this person? Would I have a drink with this person?" If either answer is no, then I tell them it won't work out and best of luck.

• Locked thread