Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Yeah they've been around awhile, I regularly see these two (star marked with arrows) flying in and out of Missoula at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Flying SFO to DFW I noticed several flashing lights similar to a lighthouse in the Arizona/New Mexico area along our path. Is that something else? Are these just "Aerodrome beacon"(s)?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The "notes" section for an upcoming 135 trip states that the client wants to be addressed as "sir."

:jerkbag:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Rolo posted:

The "notes" section for an upcoming 135 trip states that the client wants to be addressed as "sir."

I wonder what other kind of joys I have to look forward to as I move from flying boxes to big wigs...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's not really that bad, even famous people have been 99% cool. Every once in awhile you do get a lady fresh off the first Titanic lifeboat...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rolo posted:

I wonder if that's in the notes because some other crew forgot to be polite.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Does it punish you by time-delaying your quizzes or whatever?
Two times ago (4 years ago) yes, last year no. YMMV

Rolo posted:

It's not really that bad, even famous people have been 99% cool. Every once in awhile you do get a lady fresh off the first Titanic lifeboat...

vessbot posted:

I wonder what other kind of joys I have to look forward to as I move from flying boxes to big wigs...

Captain Apollo posted:

I wonder if that's in the notes because some other crew forgot to be polite.
Here anytime a client mentions a "problem" it gets tacked onto their notes. I've seen "Inform of ANY possible delays" to "scared of weather, check barf bags" to "check diet coke expirations" to "Make sure to have a <specific newspaper>".
I'd say most are really cool/normal with the few you have to deal with.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Rolo posted:

Begin and end every single sentence with sir, military style

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

"Density altitude: -1800 feet"

:getin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Yeah, so this was seriously a question in the computer-based indoc I'm taking for a 135 company. Right now.

They still exist in Montana fwiw.

e:
they look like this on VFR charts

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 9, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hadlock posted:

Flying SFO to DFW I noticed several flashing lights similar to a lighthouse in the Arizona/New Mexico area along our path. Is that something else? Are these just "Aerodrome beacon"(s)?

Probably. They alternate green and white for civilian airports. Military airports flash green white white.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Butt Reactor posted:

Yeah they've been around awhile, I regularly see these two (star marked with arrows) flying in and out of Missoula at night

brb, checking to see if FSX and/or X-plane model these

also, unrelated

http://aviatormag.com.au/wp/the-harsh-reality-of-helicopters/

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Just got a conditional job offer at SKW. Now I just need these next ~150 hours to go by quickly. I'll be flying in Phoenix starting Wednesday so the flying should be good.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I should try and get you to come to compass for my $1500 referral bonus or something.
Come to Compass. LA base. (Seattle/MSP wouldn't take long.) Good airplane. No lifers. Hooray!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Slaughter posted:

I should try and get you to come to compass for my $1500 referral bonus or something.
Come to Compass. LA base. (Seattle/MSP wouldn't take long.) Good airplane. No lifers. Hooray!

Message me in 1200 hours lol.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Not unrelated to me. Ferrrrrk. :(

I mean, I know what sort of stuff the career path entails, it's why I chickened out the first time around, really. But this makes it sound even worse than I'd figured it would be. Sure, now I am single and without dependents and can chase my dream, but that's not to say I want to be single forever more! I also don't want to be chewed up and spat out, a broke, husk of a person.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

I would move cross country for Compass in 1200 hours. I love LA

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Do any of the New York airports (JFK/LGA/EWR) have visual approaches that have lights on any of the rivers? A United pilot I know said that the Hudson river has lights for an approach but wouldn't specify the airport and I think he's really full of poo poo. I've flown in and out of JFK and LGA a lot and have never heard of this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

Do any of the New York airports (JFK/LGA/EWR) have visual approaches that have lights on any of the rivers? A United pilot I know said that the Hudson river has lights for an approach but wouldn't specify the airport and I think he's really full of poo poo. I've flown in and out of JFK and LGA a lot and have never heard of this.

LGA 22 and 13 are over the east river and have MALSR. That isn't the Hudson but is an understandable mistake.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

A bunch of guys from my company went to Compass. I want to go home to Chicago for at least a year though

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

LGA 22 and 13 are over the east river and have MALSR. That isn't the Hudson but is an understandable mistake.

Thanks, he said that there was a trail of lights going from the river all the way to the runway to be used for a visual approach at night. He says all sorts of dumb poo poo but I thought this one might actually be possible.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Stupid Post Maker posted:

A bunch of guys from my company went to Compass. I want to go home to Chicago for at least a year though

We have a $1250 referral bonus over at OO too :ssh:

Not only that, but we also have bases in ORD and LAX and everywhere in between. Plus we just scored a 19+ E175 contract with delta, so back off slaughter :arghfist:

seriously though people should PM us regional guys if you want to work for us (what are you thinking:downsgun: ) and want a cut of the referral pie

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
hey, I just want my referral bonus, i don't really care who comes here. i think ORD is pretty junior with skywest though so if chicago is your thing it's probably better.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Repost from the other thread. Hawker 800 went down at Akron Fulton (Ohio) today. Looks like they were over the outer marker for the LOC 25. Sad sad.

OVC006 1 1/2 SM at the time of incident. Thats 100 ft and 1/2 mi over mins.

Facebook has a profile for Execuflight showing the operation. Looks...interesting.

Live ATC has the feed. 2030-2100z Zipline 1526 is the callsign. Nothing seemed extraordinary from the feed. Poor phraseology from the pilot talking is about it. Seems a little backwards on a few transmissions.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

gigButt posted:

Repost from the other thread. Hawker 800 went down at Akron Fulton (Ohio) today. Looks like they were over the outer marker for the LOC 25. Sad sad.

OVC006 1 1/2 SM at the time of incident. Thats 100 ft and 1/2 mi over mins.

Facebook has a profile for Execuflight showing the operation. Looks...interesting.

Live ATC has the feed. 2030-2100z Zipline 1526 is the callsign. Nothing seemed extraordinary from the feed. Poor phraseology from the pilot talking is about it. Seems a little backwards on a few transmissions.

CFIT?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/11/auto-draft-3/

Amazing nobody on the ground was hurt considering the damage.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks, he said that there was a trail of lights going from the river all the way to the runway to be used for a visual approach at night. He says all sorts of dumb poo poo but I thought this one might actually be possible.
JFK 13L/R Visual approach has lights from the water to the runways. The FAA charts don't list them well (or it has changed) but they are "rabbit like" leading lights to show the base to final. Maybe thats what he is talking about?

Chart posted:

O Lead-in light clusters

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 11, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

hey, I just want my referral bonus, i don't really care who comes here. i think ORD is pretty junior with skywest though so if chicago is your thing it's probably better.

That and MSP are the most junior domiciles we have, I became a lineholder practically instantly when I was assigned there off of training. If you end up on the mighty CRJ, that is, otherwise it might be a bit different on the Embraer in terms of seniority and bidding.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

JFK 13L/R Visual approach has lights from the water to the runways. The FAA charts don't list them well (or it has changed) but they are "rabbit like" leading lights to show the base to final. Maybe thats what he is talking about?

That might be it, thanks!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

two_beer_bishes posted:

That might be it, thanks!

Those go out into Jamaica Bay though, not either of the rivers.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah that's doesn't fit his description. Gonna stick with he's full of poo poo. He makes up a poo poo load of other stories so I'll add this to that list.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
November 18th, Pilots Bill of Rights 2

quote:

Third-class medical reform is moving forward in the Senate, but you might not like the compromises that are being made to the original bill to allow it to reach the floor for a vote.

When Sen. James Inhofe last February introduced the Pilots Bill of Rights 2 in a quest to reform third-class medical requirements, many pilots saw it as their golden ticket back into the cockpit. Then the Air Line Pilots Association objected to letting “medically unfit” pilots share the same airspace with their members, and the bill was DOA.

So Inhofe rewrote PBR2. It looks like the new version has an excellent shot at passing. But it's a stab in the back for many pilots who were hopeful that they'd get to fly again.

The Senate Transportation Committee plans to move the bill forward next week. As rewritten, it has broad support in Congress. AOPA president Mark Baker called it a “very significant step forward.”

So what's changed in the bill? The new version will require new pilots to receive an initial FAA medical exam to serve as a health baseline. Pilots who haven't had an FAA medical exam in more than 10 years will need to get one as well. After that, most private pilots flying single-engine airplanes and carrying no more than five passengers will never need to receive an FAA medical exam again.

They will, however, need to take an online course once every two years and see their personal physician once every four years and make a note of the visit in their logbook.

Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance medical process once.

So the third class medical really isn't going away. It will merely be less of a hassle for most private pilots. For the thousands of pilots who haven't flown in many years and saw PBR2 as a panacea, sorry to disappoint you, but you've been left out in the cold.

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/medical-reform-moves-forward-big-changes

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I mean, that's still huge.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't have any issue with any of the "concessions". but even though I had to jump thru some hoops to get my 3rd class medical, I didn't and still don't have problems with the current 3rd class as it is right now.

I honestly feel like the money and time could have been better spent on other areas.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Tide posted:

I really don't have any issue with any of the "concessions". but even though I had to jump thru some hoops to get my 3rd class medical, I didn't and still don't have problems with the current 3rd class as it is right now.

I honestly feel like the money and time could have been better spent on other areas.

I thought the system was fine as is too. I'm happy for anybody that gets to fly because of this though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Our favourite youtuber has struck again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZE0nE60sk

The guard police clip :laffo:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

The guard police clip :laffo:

The readback skit got a good chuckle out of me, but I lost it when he went on guard. That was loving brilliant.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrYenko posted:

The readback skit got a good chuckle out of me, but I lost it when he went on guard. That was loving brilliant.

Definitely not an airline pilot, but I was crying at the guard part. Oh my god that was so funny

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guard got me good, too.

Guuuuarrrrd.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Heard southwest make a nice PA on guard today.
Holy poo poo the frequency BLEW UP after that for like 3 minutes. I was laughing my rear end off.

In other news, I've flown SEA-SFO enough times now that I've got like everything basically memorized along the way, frequencies, navaids, final approach courses, typical taxi instructions... I think I could do this flight in my sleep now. I'm horrified that something will change and I won't catch it because I'm expecting 'the usual'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

In other news, I've flown SEA-SFO enough times now that I've got like everything basically memorized along the way, frequencies, navaids, final approach courses, typical taxi instructions... I think I could do this flight in my sleep now. I'm horrified that something will change and I won't catch it because I'm expecting 'the usual'.

I had that happen when they changed the Seattle Four departure and changed the date on the chart.

That's the only departure we ever use out of SEA, and some variation of "...Seattle Four departure, that's the 20-3F chart dated 9 January 09..." was something every single pilot here had briefed countless times, so the new chart (which was identical aside from being dated 9 October '15) completely screwed up all of our SEA departure briefings for a few weeks until we stopped automatically saying the old date.

I get to miss all the Guard Nazi fun, since our SOP is to keep comm 2 on SELCAL (which we're thankfully scrapping) or the operations frequency (useless past about 60 miles from the airport), despite the fact that all of our airplanes have satellite phones and texting capability installed if the company needs to talk to us for whatever reason.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2015

• Locked thread