Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oodles posted:

However, it's so easy to just warp to an anom drop drones, and profit. Maybe wormholes might make it more engaging.

This doesn't work in wormholes. You'll pop a wave trigger early and then get smashed. You need to actively manage which rats you kill.

Also if you're not paying attention you'll get dropped by a cloaky Proteus. This does add a fair bit of tension when you're sitting there in a Rattlesnake or whatever. Some people like it, some hate it.

Scanning down holes isn't hard. You do jump through them and bookmark the various holes in the chain. The big thing is actually using d-scan once you're in a new hole to see if its active and if there are any jerks in there waiting to ruin your day (or who aren't paying attention and need to be murdered). To me, POS mapping once you've found a hole is more tedious than finding the holes themselves.

Probably the best bit of wormholes for me is sitting in someone else's hole while they go about their business and they have no loving idea that I'm there, just waiting for them to show a vulnerability so I can uncloak, tie them down and then call the cavalry on them.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

darth cookie posted:

Probably the best bit of wormholes for me is sitting in someone else's hole while they go about their business and they have no loving idea that I'm there, just waiting for them to show a vulnerability so I can uncloak, tie them down and then call the cavalry on them.

This, absolutely. The thrill of catching something you can eat on dscan, and the knowledge that they have no idea you're there. There's no local to announce your entrance, you cloak and you're totally invisible.

I also like cheap and nasty, like seeing a venture or two on scan, drop combats and munch munch.

edit - I didn't start downloading fallout4 before coming to work today gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
With the return oh Hole Squad to the swarm. Don't forget to aqaint them with RC so they can be properly taxed for their towers :eng101:

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

With the return oh Hole Squad to the swarm. Don't forget to aqaint them with RC so they can be properly taxed for their towers :eng101:

yeah, towers not in alliance space, not happening

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Space Dad posted:

So after extensive discussion with Sion/Mittens regarding standings, we've come to a solution that I had not considered, but prefer considerably. Between our Strong Culture and being on that realest poo poo, We are becoming a full fleged member corp. Holesquad will Continue to be a squad, you can either retain your current corp affiliation or transfer over to Hole Violence completely.
Solution? What was the problem, FCON shooting squidders in fleet? And how booting FCON isn't a better solution anyway?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

froody guy posted:

Solution? What was the problem, FCON shooting squidders in fleet? And how booting FCON isn't a better solution anyway?

Getting shot by FCON was a problem, but not the only one. Reset FCON
Some of the others were that we're still goons (or at least Imperium) and we do enjoy doing joint ops with other squads, but its such a colossal pain in the rear end to coordinate. Another problem is that if we want to do mainfleet stuff, it has to be on alts (and I can't speak for everybody, but I know I've only got one guy really capable of that, and he's in hole squad).

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
gently caress mainfleet

kinda. The FCs are okay.

Actually, the fleets out of 3v8 were alright, though mostly because they were basically the Reaver crew.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

darth cookie posted:

Getting shot by FCON was a problem, but not the only one. Reset FCON
Some of the others were that we're still goons (or at least Imperium) and we do enjoy doing joint ops with other squads, but its such a colossal pain in the rear end to coordinate. Another problem is that if we want to do mainfleet stuff, it has to be on alts (and I can't speak for everybody, but I know I've only got one guy really capable of that, and he's in hole squad).

I don't know, I'm new and I don't know the exact proportion of the problem but the feeling is that we're entering a world of pain.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

rip ur hole

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

At least hole squad no longer falls under my purview anywhere with having to tell their idiot members "yes you need to keep a pilot in GSF to maintain services" - Anything that saves my sanity is A+

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Join hole squad, cuz C4s are where the fun is.

(who are you hiding from that you live in a C4)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
kick hole squad

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Well, that's certainly news.

Now, what do I do? I'm out of the country for 3 weeks, all my assets are in the POS and my only char in dek was a token shitler barely fit to fly a badger.

Will Mi Mi watch my poo poo for me while I hang out on the dark continent?

Schlampa
Dec 28, 2006

Mi Mi's watchful gaze is ever upon us.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Well, that's certainly news.

Now, what do I do? I'm out of the country for 3 weeks, all my assets are in the POS and my only char in dek was a token shitler barely fit to fly a badger.

Will Mi Mi watch my poo poo for me while I hang out on the dark continent?

Well, since you'll be gone for three weeks, I think we'll just mark you as inactive and have a firesale for your stuff.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

vyst posted:

At least hole squad no longer falls under my purview anywhere with having to tell their idiot members "yes you need to keep a pilot in GSF to maintain services" - Anything that saves my sanity is A+

And it rounds them up into a convenient package for purging :v:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Garnt thebrobarian kahn did nothing wrong

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Zasze posted:

Garnt thebrobarian kahn did nothing wrong

Has anyone heard from Narciss lately? He's been off the map... I wonder if he's gone quiet in preparation for the next headliner.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Did anyone link the sample chapter from the Fountain War book, because it certainly is a thing https://www.themittani.com/sites/default/files/jeff_edwards-fountain_war_sample_two_piercing_the_veil.pdf

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

Has anyone heard from Narciss lately? He's been off the map... I wonder if he's gone quiet in preparation for the next headliner.

He hangs out in zulu all the time if you want to talk to him, he is ever riddled in trolls within trolls and I can never tell what the hell he is getting at.

I accidentally outed his karma fleet alt when some newbie was rambling about market trading and I was like HOLY poo poo ITS GAR, and he just dropped comms.

ranbo das posted:

Did anyone link the sample chapter from the Fountain War book, because it certainly is a thing https://www.themittani.com/sites/default/files/jeff_edwards-fountain_war_sample_two_piercing_the_veil.pdf

It irks me they are calling it the imperium since it would be a far more interesting story point to show how this war is what solidified the coalition into an empire, and in a none narrative standpoint if you were involved in any diplo/strat/fc channels it was truly A HORRID CLUSTERFUCK that has not been replicated in scale in many years.

I get that calling it the clusterfuck would be hard to sell in the sci fi novel he is trying to write but just create some other acronym.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 10, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ranbo das posted:

Its not bad, but his writing style is missing a little something. I can't quite put my finger on it tho. But i liked what I just read.

His choice to make this short piece about Elo Knight, or to be more precise, another alliance than the CFC Imperium, is smart. It may help quell the fears of all the reddit pubbies who think the whole book is going to be nothing more than CFC Imperium propaganda.

This piece made it look like we received a good trashing.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cow Bell posted:

how will you run pve fleets without a hole to live in

Iv decided to take it ~to the next level~

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Zasze posted:

It irks me they are calling it the imperium since it would be a far more interesting story point to show how this war is what solidified the coalition into an empire, and in a none narrative standpoint if you were involved in any diplo/strat/fc channels it was truly A HORRID CLUSTERFUCK that has not been replicated in scale in many years.

I get that calling it the clusterfuck would be hard to sell in the sci fi novel he is trying to write but just create some other acronym.

There's the issue of calling it the CFC will inadvertently provoke every single person who joined Eve within the last 6 months to ask who the CFC are and what happened to them.

The Imperium and the CFC are the same people but those people have evolved a lot to the point where calling it the cluster gently caress coalition seems almost satirical when you look at the degree of organization and the results it brings.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Zephyrine posted:

There's the issue of calling it the CFC will inadvertently provoke every single person who joined Eve within the last 6 months to ask who the CFC are and what happened to them.

The Imperium and the CFC are the same people but those people have evolved a lot to the point where calling it the cluster gently caress coalition seems almost satirical when you look at the degree of organization and the results it brings.

Re-branding(tm)

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Zasze posted:

Jeff said in a Q&A thing that he's considering just making more believable names in the book for both CFC and TEST, i.e. CF Coalition or just The Coalition and TEST Alliance, dropping the Please Ignore bit.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Man, I hope that 150k also buys some good editors because holy poo poo, that excerpt was awful. Is all of Edwards' writing like that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CashEnsign posted:

Re-branding(tm)

I'm kind of OK with it. As cliché as "Imperium" sounds, at least it's better than "CFC", which to me always sounded like a soccer-club, not a space-organization.

CFC Deklein

gently caress it really does sound like a soccer-club, doesn't it? :shepface:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Libluini posted:

I'm kind of OK with it. As cliché as "Imperium" sounds, at least it's better than "CFC", which to me always sounded like a soccer-club, not a space-organization.

CFC Deklein

gently caress it really does sound like a soccer-club, doesn't it? :shepface:

Deklein City F.C. (What Do?)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Karl Sharks posted:

Deklein City F.C. (What Do?)

Being a spurs fan, gently caress gooners.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Psh, get everyone from theta to seed one of their bajillion carrier alts and then form a boot fleet if someone tries to take it.

I would totally mothball a Carrier in hole squads hole for the sake of local defence if they wanted me to.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Zephyrine posted:

I would totally mothball a Carrier in hole squads hole for the sake of local defence if they wanted me to.

I'd mothball a talos :3:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Coalition oF da Chillin' :cool:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

Jeff said in a Q&A thing that he's considering just making more believable names in the book for both CFC and TEST, i.e. CF Coalition or just The Coalition and TEST Alliance, dropping the Please Ignore bit.

I didnt see that bit ok thats cool, I honestly wish him the best with the book all the grrr goonsing about it on reddit is really dumb.

Zephyrine posted:

This is a legit dumb response to though :psyduck:

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009
So is EVE still worth playing? I've been away a long time and thinking about getting back into it.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
No, not really

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Elite is probably better if you just want to play a space game.

Hell, or try Rebel Galaxy is you want a single-player experience.

EVE is only for addicts. Don't go there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Emrys42 posted:

So is EVE still worth playing? I've been away a long time and thinking about getting back into it.

Does the OP sound appealing? If yes, then play. If no, then don't. God help you if you have to actually make a real decision in your life.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I've only ever made fake decisions in my life.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Couldn't they just use the original name of the CFC: the "Deklein Coalition"? Alternately, use CFC and make up some hand-wavy Eve words for the "CF" portion. Likewise he could imply that TEST was an acronym for something.

It could be an interesting to have a back-plot of Mittens scheming to become an, ahem, imperator without it quite coming out. Think "the ending of Shogun", for anyone that's read that excellent novel. That would setup a nice sequel for the Halloween War too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
He could simply use the name imperium and have a character make a reference that it is more a clusterfuck of a coalition than a real empire.

• Locked thread