Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Sweet start to the day. Computer crashed and my company is too cheap to have an on-site tech guy for this office so I'm probably going to get sent home.

Pfff, fix it yourself. How bad could it be?

Fixing it yourself lets you stretch one day of downtime into a whole week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

It's just like the other games, it has fast travel and all that. Not that I've gotten very far but it's similar to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Nothing really different in regards to how the map is. 20 hours is also about normal for an AAA game :confused:
The thing that's slightly arresting is the 20 hours being spent building up towards the payoff. I'm interpreting that as a 20 hour prologue. The reviews have implied that there's a lot of game left beyond the 20 hours, which is good, but a 20 hour prologue? Maybe they were just playing the game wrong; the Ars Technica review said something like that.

literally a fish posted:

The distances aren't that great, and once you've been somewhere you can teleport back there instantly. And it's definitely entertaining for those 20+ hours.

Long RPGs aren't for everyone though.
Thing is, Skyrim took up plenty of hours that were mostly enjoyable. An odd phenomenon: after playing Skyrim for a buncha levels and stuff, I would feel as if playing the game were a chore to the point where I would resent the idea of playing. Then I'd sit down and get into it and bam, it's 2am. Perhaps I should knock off the :corsair: and give it a shot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't know where he works but if I go pick up a mop to clean up someones spilled drink I get written up. Gotta stick to your job duties.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Idk I plugged in some headphones, the screen turned into that banned episode of pokemon and then magically it goes to the system restore screen when I boot it up now. I'd like to think that this is justice for them locking everything down with McAfee bullshit.

Replacement laptop is getting sent tomorrow afternoon from halfway across the country and then I work from home Fridays so this week seems pretty sweet already.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I couldn't find any car game in gbs wtf where is it?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

I couldn't find any car game in gbs wtf where is it?

have at 'er

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i have an exam today and i'm praying that since i'm the only one in class who didn't get Fallout 4, I'll survive with the curve

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
YAASSSSS GBS CAR GAME YASSSS

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When I get around to fallout 4 (which would be my first in the series) I'm mostly looking around to hearing Bethesda's 3 voice actors again.

*go up to trader* Oh hey, Jarl Barlgruf! It's been ages, how's Whiterun these days?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm not touching that loving game until I've finished my robit for class and my 4 huge projects for work. So... January?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

I'm not touching that loving game until I've finished my robit for class and my 4 huge projects for work. So... January?

Same, I need a new PC and time to play FO3 before I play FO4; plus by then it'll be on steam sale :3:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I definitely will at some point. Does it have co-op campaign?

Sort of. There's coop missions you can play. Each player chooses a commander with special abilities and play through a mission. It looks like fun and it doesn't look like it's just for LOTV. It looked like there were some missions that I could play with just HOTS.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

When I get around to fallout 4 (which would be my first in the series) I'm mostly looking around to hearing Bethesda's 3 voice actors again.

*go up to trader* Oh hey, Jarl Barlgruf! It's been ages, how's Whiterun these days?
They've recycled a lot of animations from Skyrim, too. Like the guy with the clipboard that shows up at the beginning of the game puts his clipboard on his arm like a shield.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

scuz posted:

They've recycled a lot of animations from Skyrim, too. Like the guy with the clipboard that shows up at the beginning of the game puts his clipboard on his arm like a shield.

Somewhere in that reddit post someone said there were no right-arm shield animations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Somewhere in that reddit post someone said there were no right-arm shield animations.

Crap, really? Tried to find it but I gave up very quickly. That's a big relief, it's good to know they aren't really doing that.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Drinking before noon on a Tuesday because :sweatdrop:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enourmo posted:

still can't hold a candle to iirc land rover where there was or still is a period where they'd mix metric and SAE on the same fastener (ie metric shaft/threads, SAE head)

That would be the Rover V8 motors. Plans bought from Buick, so SAE. They decided to make custom bolts with metric heads on them and leave the threads.

Also, for some inexplicable reason the drive shaft flange bolts/nuts are SAE (head and thread). The rest is metric. WTF?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Cool, If I sent you a schematic, could you throw together a design? When you have time, of course.

Maybe, but you'll have to remind me then because otherwise I am going to forget.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Out of curiosity, what does it do? Allow you to select a gear and hold it or something? Change the shift RPMs?

I suppose it's all detailed in your massive naxja trans thread but a lot of that talk is over my head :downs:

It actually isn't. Once I have the firmware put together well enough for a friend who still has an AW4 to test it out on I'm probably going to become a vendor over there.

Things it does:
- drops right into the 97 or 98-01 XJ AW4 TCU enclosure, after cutting a hole for the user interface connector
- controls stock AW4 shift solenoids, gets the same throttle position sensor, brake pedal switch, NSS, and input/output shaft speed sensor signals the stock TCU does
- has the same CCD and SCI bus interfaces the stock TCU does
- includes a user interface port with 18 total TTL GPIO pins, a CAN interface, and 12/5 volt power, #reset, and ground for use in user expansion. I figure typical uses would be any kind of custom shifter (tiptronic, RADesigns rail shifter, arcade shifter, knob, really whatever you can dream up), a gear display, debug I/O, additional sensors or outputs, a shift map selector switch, etc.
- based around an AT90CAN128 microcontroller running at 8MHz or 16MHz with 128kB of program space
- footprint for a CY14E101J2 128kB NVSRAM or 24M02 256kB EEPROM for storing debug data, shift maps, error codes, performance logs, etc

My plan is to release a "canned" firmware image on the board already that handles all the most likely use cases, as well as a library with functions to send and receive CAN, SCI, and CCD bus messages, set/get current gear selection, read ISS/OSS RPM values and TPS/brake pedal/NSS position, and user GPIO pins. With that, anyone who can write C for an embedded platform reasonably well can play around with writing their own firmware. It can do anything from tell the stock auto ECU that everything's fine so you can do an AX15 swap without getting a CEL all the way up to being a standalone TCU for any AW4, A340, or similar transmission with up to 3 positive-side-switched shift solenoids and a variety of sensors. Or anything in between, including dropping in place of the stock TCU board with a stock auto ECU and telling the ECU either that everything's fine while going hog wild with the transmission, or even reporting proper failure messages to the ECU and OBD2 diagnostic tools while going hog wild if you wanted it to do something fun but still act like a normal car emissions/legal/diagnostics wise.

mafoose posted:

Hmm, I was just browsing through pelican parts. They don't even carry the pre '88(?) water pump, and claim they have a little kit to install the later pump on the earlier motors.

And thanks for the offer! I know there's a decent Porsche club in Phoenix, so I'm sure I can probably find it.

Awesome! I'm just getting my feet wet. I'm kinda stuck with one layer single sided as the plan is to isolation mill them.

I'm working on a little board to drive "smart" coils with MS, because v3.57 boards are smd and lack a proto area. Friend with the 12.01sec Volvo needs one, and I'll need one for the BMW when I go COP.

Purple boards? OSH Park?

Lemme know if you have any questions. Most of my knowledge is CADSoft EAGLE-centric, since it's what I've been using the most. And yes, OSHPark is my goto for prototypes, I use 4pcb.com or pcb-pool.com for production units.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

still can't hold a candle to iirc land rover where there was or still is a period where they'd mix metric and SAE on the same fastener (ie metric shaft/threads, SAE head)
Sorry, if you want to talk about threads on a Land Rover, just saying "metric and imperial" won't cut it. Which of the imperial standards they used are you referring to?

No, really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Am I crazy to be a bit leery of jackstands on grass? I've got pieces of plywood under each one, but the car still wobbles when I push on it and it spooks me out a little. Only reason I'm doing it is to be in the backyard closer to my tools, but I'm thinking about just putting it on the driveway out front for more stability and less pucker factor.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

leica posted:

Am I crazy to be a bit leery of jackstands on grass? I've got pieces of plywood under each one, but the car still wobbles when I push on it and it spooks me out a little. Only reason I'm doing it is to be in the backyard closer to my tools, but I'm thinking about just putting it on the driveway out front for more stability and less pucker factor.

No I think you should probably find more solid ground

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, you should move your car. A little more walking and inconvenience for safety is worth it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was just hoping it could work out, then it's out of sight so i can take my time, and I'm not taking up space in the driveway. gently caress. Maybe i should just pour a slab in the back yard or something.

[e] you guys with shops/garages have it made.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 10, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man nobody in gibbis understands

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That makes it fun!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

leica posted:

You might try putting the jackstands on some large concrete pavers instead of plywood - maybe dig out a recess in the grass/dirt for the paver to sit in so it's at ground level?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

leica posted:

gently caress. Maybe i should just pour a slab in the back yard or something.

This is how it begins!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Geoj posted:

You might try putting the jackstands on some large concrete pavers instead of plywood - maybe dig out a recess in the grass/dirt for the paver to sit in so it's at ground level?

Yep, could do this in a pinch. Dig a small recess, put some gravel in and tamp it, then paver it. Its not perfect, but it should be a sight better than grass.

Or just build a garage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geirskogul posted:

Man nobody in gibbis understands

That's what makes the present car game so great! They have no idea what's going on :D

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Now if only a GBS mod would be tipped off so if some gibbis posts the wrong car/color then they get probed:getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

New wheels and tires for the Crown Vic. Much better!

Negromancer posted:

while I never insisted on being called an engineer, I did piss off people regularly when I would tell them I'm a systems engineer. the only reason I even told people my title was just because it was easier than trying to explain what I actually do to non tech people. it's not my fault the industry I work in gives people stupid titles (don't get me started on devops).

I'm a "Workstation Engineer" (computer janitor.)

some texas redneck posted:

I've tracked a little over 40k in the Saturd.

It gets nowhere near what the window sticker claimed. :sigh:

I ripped out the OnStar mirror (replacing it with a regular mirror that still had the compass and outside temp display), and also replaced the stereo.

gently caress, I murdered the value of my Ion didn't I? (if you can murder the value of something that's worth nearly $0)

Averaging 16.7 in the Crown Vic: http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/crown_victoria/2005/krwright/356701
Upside is that it's a paid-for $1500 car, and my commute is 12 miles each way. A zero car payment can pay for a lot of gas. And I really enjoy the V8, rear-drive comfort.

I've ruined it's value as a cop car, though - I've installed carpet and a fabric rear seat!

Fallout 4: I guess I should play this Fallout 3 I bought for my Xbox like a year ago, first.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

leica posted:

I was just hoping it could work out, then it's out of sight so i can take my time, and I'm not taking up space in the driveway. gently caress. Maybe i should just pour a slab in the back yard or something.

[e] you guys with shops/garages have it made.

Just dig some concrete slabs/pavers in until you can pour your slab and build your garage. Get the heaviest/thickest ones you can.

Make sure that you do something like chucking your wheels under the car while it is jacked up or on stands so that it drops onto them rather than onto you if it goes.

Most of us who now have garages have served our time on grass/paving slabs/gravel/plywood sheets in the past...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

On the last page it was a green Ford Fiesta that was on fire, not a Renault Clio. I hope someone is going to be probated over that :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You Am I posted:

On the last page it was a green Ford Fiesta that was on fire, not a Renault Clio. I hope someone is going to be probated over that :colbert:

I misread the article and will take a 6 hour probation in shame. Also I fixed the post.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Of course the same week we're talking about running without a front plate in AI is the only time I forget to put mine on my car when I park because I'm in a hurry and get an $80 ticket.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

The thing that's slightly arresting is the 20 hours being spent building up towards the payoff. I'm interpreting that as a 20 hour prologue. The reviews have implied that there's a lot of game left beyond the 20 hours, which is good, but a 20 hour prologue? Maybe they were just playing the game wrong; the Ars Technica review said something like that.

Thing is, Skyrim took up plenty of hours that were mostly enjoyable. An odd phenomenon: after playing Skyrim for a buncha levels and stuff, I would feel as if playing the game were a chore to the point where I would resent the idea of playing. Then I'd sit down and get into it and bam, it's 2am. Perhaps I should knock off the :corsair: and give it a shot.

It's not a 20 hour prologue, it's a 20 hour main plotline. Just like Skyrim, there's hundreds of hours of content beyond the main plotline.
If you liked Skyrim, you'll like FO4, i'd say.

scuz posted:

sounds like you already decided to try it out :v:

Darchangel posted:

Fallout 4: I guess I should play this Fallout 3 I bought for my Xbox like a year ago, first.

I mean you could, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. FO4 is a vastly better game, the plotline of FO3 is kinda dicky.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Why did I list a part on nasioc? First two responses from people with almost zero post history, one out of the country. Doesn't seem scammy at all...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

It's not a 20 hour prologue, it's a 20 hour main plotline. Just like Skyrim, there's hundreds of hours of content beyond the main plotline.
If you liked Skyrim, you'll like FO4, i'd say.

sounds like you already decided to try it out :v:

I mean you could, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. FO4 is a vastly better game, the plotline of FO3 is kinda dicky.

:aaa: Okay, I was misled. Probably gonna pick this up, then. The main plot line of FO3 turned out to be a huge jerk, but I enjoyed most of it. I appear to have been similarly mislead as far as the animation recycling; Adiabatic straightened me out on that one.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

:aaa: Okay, I was misled. Probably gonna pick this up, then. The main plot line of FO3 turned out to be a huge jerk, but I enjoyed most of it. I appear to have been similarly mislead as far as the animation recycling; Adiabatic straightened me out on that one.

It sounds like the issue you had was that you listened to Ars Technica :colbert: The Verge's review (and another one of theirs is much better IMO, but i am of course biased, because I want you to like it.

Expect the usual Bethesda day-one bug shenanigans though. And here's how to make mouse tracking / FOV not suck on PC.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

All of you guys talking about Fallout 4 are making me jealous. Meanwhile i'm over here gushing about Life Is Strange since I marathoned it last night. God, that game is well written.

• Locked thread