Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If you don't like the new Grimes because its "too mainstream" or way too "pop" then you're just an idiot imo. Personally her old stuff was like ok at best but it was missing something, like some intense energy and she delivers that with spades on this album (and her live show, just saw her this weekend and she loving killed it).

Let's not revise history. Art Angels owns, but Visions owns too and was legitimately one of the best albums the year it came out. Like, we wouldn't be debating this album if there weren't so many expectations and concerns about how she would follow up the last one (compared to how Visions kinda appeared "out of the blue" after the actually okay Geidi Primes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Indie Rock/Pop/Folk/Electronic Megathread: Just kidding about the pop part

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

detectivemonkey posted:

Indie Rock/Pop/Folk/Electronic Megathread: Just kidding about the pop part

Meh, it's all been a flat circle since Kelly Clarkson, anyway. Throw in Annie, Robyn, and the New Wave revival...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Let's not revise history. Art Angels owns, but Visions owns too and was legitimately one of the best albums the year it came out. Like, we wouldn't be debating this album if there weren't so many expectations and concerns about how she would follow up the last one (compared to how Visions kinda appeared "out of the blue" after the actually okay Geidi Primes).

Um I said personally in my opinion I didn't really like her old stuff including visions.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I miss WU LYF

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is LUH ever going to release an album or is it just going to be shrouded in mystery?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from seeing Grimes. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, that was even more fun than I thought it would be. She only played for like an hour, but man, what an hour. Genesis, Oblivion, Kill v Maim, Venus Fly...she played pretty much everything I wanted to hear. The show must've been sold out too. I was in the front row but it was like wall to wall people all dancing together. So much fun. And her dancers were mesmerizing too :swoon:

And in a weird twist, the opener (Nicole Dollanganger) was kind of a metal act? But was really good. That was interesting.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I don't care about Pitchfork scores, but I was really looking forward to see how much poo poo they would fling at her new album. Well, turns out, none.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Jack's Flow posted:

I don't care about Pitchfork scores, but I was really looking forward to see how much poo poo they would fling at her new album. Well, turns out, none.

They aren't all against artist embracing a more pop sound, they review pop and other mainstream poo poo often. Also, it's a per reviewer site.. so you're essentially getting one person's opinion that is generally accepted by the site. Plenty of others could have thought it was garbage but they didn't review it.

I could have told you as soon as she announced a new album it would be one of their Best New Music features, before the album was ever heard.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jack's Flow posted:

I mean, Pitchfork seems to still buy into that whole stupid rockist/poptimist dichotomy so it's not surprising they'd declare it, "...a gilded coffin nail to outmoded sexist arguments that women in pop are constructed products, a mere frame for male producers' talents—that because their music is immaculate, they are somehow not authentic."

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I find it funny how much they post about her when she's been pretty vocal about her dislike for the site and the way they present her.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Would be worse if Schreiber decided to hold a petty grudge in retaliation and not give one of the most polarizing and interesting people in modern music a lot of attention and (I know, I know) drive views to the site, probably

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Paperback Writer posted:

I find it funny how much they post about her when she's been pretty vocal about her dislike for the site and the way they present her.

"California" is literally a Pitchfork diss track

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Would be worse if Schreiber decided to hold a petty grudge in retaliation and not give one of the most polarizing and interesting people in modern music a lot of attention and (I know, I know) drive views to the site, probably

Grimes is not one of the most polarizing or interfering people in modern music hth

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Consider me helped.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Huh...I always thought HTH meant "hand to heart."

Never really though to look it up.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Grimes feels like one of the most polarizing figures in modern music. Pretty hard to stay neutral on her considering her music and her outspokenness. I know I disliked her after she basically disowned her best songs because she didn't like that they became popular. I only was given more context in it after that New Yorker article about her.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really don't give a poo poo about Grimes and don't get the fuss over her average as gently caress music :shrug:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what the hell are you listening to where a song like Oblivion or Realiti is "average" because I want to be listening to that too

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I should have tacked on "in my opinion" but yeah Grimes is really not that great to me, oh well different tastes and all that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

uggy posted:

Grimes feels like one of the most polarizing figures in modern music. Pretty hard to stay neutral on her considering her music and her outspokenness. I know I disliked her after she basically disowned her best songs because she didn't like that they became popular. I only was given more context in it after that New Yorker article about her.

She was right. Her new stuff is much better.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm not that odd for finding Grimes' music to be a bit... meh. The music itself isn't interesting and her videos make her look like an artist parodied in a TV show or a movie, but I think that's intentional on her part.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Can I say she's polarizing as to whether people find her polarizing? Maybe that would count

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Grimes music is definitely interesting, she really has top, top production. The overall songwriting is where she falls short for me, she has some great tunes but most of them are dull and forgettable beyond the psychedelic production.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I'd be really intrigued for somebody to give me some examples of other modern indie artists who are as polarizing as grimes. I can't think of many musicians, indie or not, who have as many think pieces written about her.

Taylor swift? Kanye? Frank Ocean?

Grimes is a critical darling of both indie sites and mainstream sites, her sound is unusual enough to be interesting to both casual listeners and people, like me, who listen to a lot of pitchfork poo poo. And she's drat talented. She feels very much in line with her age and the generation she's a part of and I think she is a very prominent figure in pop culture. loving everybody has an opinion on grimes, I don't know how anybody wouldn't say she's polarizing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Pitchfork forgot to review the newest Small Black album, chillwave is truly dead.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Legitimately never heard of Grimes until a week ago, from this thread.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"Oblivion" has always reminded me of "The Goonies R Good Enough" by Cyndi Lauper

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I've just never heard anyone talk about her irl and I sincerely thought whichever one of you called polarizing and controversial were joking. Kanye has been, at times, a controversial artist. Not taylor swift. Kanye when he did that taylor swift poo poo, yes. Lady gaga sometimes. Miley Cyrus. No one is thinking about grimes. Pitchfork will give her next album below a 7 because they treat their darlings like poo poo after a good review or so.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rear end Catchcum posted:

I've just never heard anyone talk about her irl and I sincerely thought whichever one of you called polarizing and controversial were joking. Kanye has been, at times, a controversial artist. Not taylor swift. Kanye when he did that taylor swift poo poo, yes. Lady gaga sometimes. Miley Cyrus. No one is thinking about grimes. Pitchfork will give her next album below a 7 because they treat their darlings like poo poo after a good review or so.

I hadn't heard of her until this thread a week or two ago. I will say I'm enjoying the album the more I listen to it, but it feels pretty straight-pop (but slightly above the average). I wouldn't call her legitimately polarizing either. I think most of that comes the fact that it sounds fairly standard and so many people are going gaga over it that folks go "wait.. what? That's your bag? Huh, wouldn't have thought so." And then that gets construed as polarization.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
She's polarizing in the indie world, you're talking main stream poo poo... Kayne? Gaga? Cyrus? yeah....

This is an indie thread.

She openly admits to loving Korn, Disturbed, poo poo like that when she was young. She is one of the weird feminist who does things a lot of extreme feminist do not like. She is pop first, not much rock in her music even though there are clear influences.

These are just a few reasons why she is polarizing i'd say. Also the very obvious fact that some hate her music/voice, some love it.....

The big thing is again, she is a synth driven act, and indie has clearly shifted towards that in the last ten years... so you have the old school Arcade Fire loving indie people pushing into their 30s vs the new school Chrvches loving kids being put into the same genre label when those artists aren't very similar. Polarizing.

The cool thing though is people who love "indie" stuff are usually the most open when it comes to music and can appreciate both the rock/pop guitar/synth contrasts, most.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

T Bowl posted:

She openly admits to loving Korn, Disturbed, poo poo like that when she was young.

These are just a few reasons why she is polarizing i'd say.

I can't tell if you're dumb or just boring. You're so polarizing.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

I can't tell if you're dumb or just boring. You're so polarizing.

I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE gently caress UP FOREVER.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

quote:

Boucher's new album, Art Angels, is even more jubilantly all over the place than Visions. Some of it sounds like straight-ahead radio-ready pop. "California," the song that came out of that tequila-fueled all-nighter, recalls, of all things, late-period Dixie Chicks (Boucher is a huge fan; she says that when she met Natalie Maines she "had a panic attack"). "Artangels" has an exuberant mid-Nineties girl group feel, the kind of swirling uptempo track that might accompany a makeover montage in a rom com. Some of the record feels closer to the noise rock she started out making, like "Kill Vs. Maim," an almost metal track that nods to Korn (which Boucher calls her "soul music") and Rage Against the Machine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That's p accurate until it gets to the "near metal" part. Uh... not even.

That said I just bought the album because I like it a lot more with each listen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boy am I glad there wasn't a Korn feature on the new album!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
She loves her some Korn, I'm ok with that, ARE YOU?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I thought Visions was pretty boring so I'm pleasantly surprised by Art Angels being pretty decent.

Edit: Though I still get the feeling her music never gets as weird as she clearly is

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just don't get how being a Korn fan makes someone controversial or polarizing. Are you in 8th grade? Grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

I just don't get how being a Korn fan makes someone controversial or polarizing. Are you in 8th grade? Grow up.

She wears it on her sleeve and indie kids are mostly smug as gently caress.. Especially about Nu Metal.

:smug: