Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Re: business banking, Ally, etc.:

One thing I haven't seen anyone say yet is that it probably makes sense to have money in multiple banks. That way if you have difficulty with one you at least have some immediate access to some other funds. And at least one of those banks should have an easily-accessible local branch. In my case, I have an Ally savings account for the interest rate and three checking accounts (one with Chase, the other two with local banks). Now, I don't have three checking accounts as a conscious hedge against unforeseen problems; the Chase exists because I got a $300 bonus for opening it, I've been with Local Bank #1 for over a decade, and Local Bank #2 has a branch across the street from work so it's the most convenient for depositing checks and cash. Nevertheless there's no inconvenience with this setup and, in the event I ever do get an account locked/closed, I have plenty of options while I sort things out.

I've never understood the whole "I pick one bank and I stick with them for everything" mentality. Even if your preferred institution has the best customer service/rates/convenience/whatever, you're probably well served by opening a second smaller no-fee account with some local brick and mortar just to have in your back pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

One thing I haven't seen anyone say yet is that it probably makes sense to have money in multiple banks. That way if you have difficulty with one you at least have some immediate access to some other funds. And at least one of those banks should have an easily-accessible local branch. In my case, I have an Ally savings account for the interest rate and three checking accounts (one with Chase, the other two with local banks). Now, I don't have three checking accounts as a conscious hedge against unforeseen problems; the Chase exists because I got a $300 bonus for opening it, I've been with Local Bank #1 for over a decade, and Local Bank #2 has a branch across the street from work so it's the most convenient for depositing checks and cash. Nevertheless there's no inconvenience with this setup and, in the event I ever do get an account locked/closed, I have plenty of options while I sort things out.

I've never understood the whole "I pick one bank and I stick with them for everything" mentality. Even if your preferred institution has the best customer service/rates/convenience/whatever, you're probably well served by opening a second smaller no-fee account with some local brick and mortar just to have in your back pocket.

I've done one bank (Ally) for 3 years now on the theory of keep money in one pot, keep things simple and organized (also with this theory is only using 1 main credit card).

Honestly, I've had great service from Ally, but this has been a good enough reminder that I'll probably open a Bank account somewhere to have some sort of backup. What you're saying makes sense.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pig slut lisa posted:

This x1000. Online banks will screw you at some point, it's only a matter of when. I do most of my banking through Capital One360 but I still keep a emergency fund in a savings account at a local no-name bank, if only for a safe deposit box, cashiers checks and no fee coin counting.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

This x1000. Online banks will screw you at some point, it's only a matter of when. I do most of my banking through Capital One360 but I still keep a emergency fund in a savings account at a local no-name bank, if only for a safe deposit box, cashiers checks and no fee coin counting.

The key there is a local no-name bank or credit union. Don't make Wells Fargo or Bank of America your emergency back-up account. Oh, and order some checks when you open the account so you don't just have the blank starter set that no one will accept when your primary bank's e-bill pay goes tits up and you really need to pay someone.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Uh might as well hoard guns and ammo in your bunker while you're at it. I haven't had a service interruption at my online bank over the course of more than a decade.

Just have two different network credit cards. Redundant bank accounts is a bit excessive.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I've been using USAA for many years and haven't had a single issue. The personal accounts have no fees, and if I remember correctly they reduced the fees of their business accounts a few years back, which is basically unheard of in an industry where all the major players are desperately trying to find new ways to gouge customers.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

cowofwar posted:

Uh might as well hoard guns and ammo in your bunker while you're at it. I haven't had a service interruption at my online bank over the course of more than a decade.

Just have two different network credit cards. Redundant bank accounts is a bit excessive.

I have all my money in gold bars and canned lentils.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My wife's co-worker had their car hit in an overnight hit-and-run. There was cosmetic damage, but more importantly, a tire needed to be replaced (and you generally want to replace them all when that happens if your tires aren't fairly new). Their answer? 401k loan... "again".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I've been using USAA for many years and haven't had a single issue. The personal accounts have no fees, and if I remember correctly they reduced the fees of their business accounts a few years back, which is basically unheard of in an industry where all the major players are desperately trying to find new ways to gouge customers.

A heads up for anyone who wants USAA and isn't a vet/descendent of a vet: a friend of mine who was neither just applied for a USAA account and got one. I don't think it's supposed to work, but it did for him :shrug:

Also, with the descendent thing, it can be a grandparent (or even further back), you just have to get your parents to sign up for it, and then sign up through them. I got mine through my grandfather, neither of my parents were military.

Generally I like them, and switched to using them for all my US banking when Wells Fargo started charging me $5/mo for a checking account (because it wasn't getting any direct deposits). I will say I'm a little less than pleased using them overseas: while they do have the ATM fee reimbursement thing which is nice, transferring money usually requires waiting for their call center in the US to open and making a phone call to initiate the transfer. The app theoretically should let you do it without calling, but wants to SMS a confirmation code, and will only accept US numbers for that. On the plus side you can dial an 800 number free on Skype, so it doesn't cost you anything extra, just makes it a bit of a pain.

baquerd posted:

My wife's co-worker had their car hit in an overnight hit-and-run. There was cosmetic damage, but more importantly, a tire needed to be replaced (and you generally want to replace them all when that happens if your tires aren't fairly new). Their answer? 401k loan... "again".

Eh, if the others weren't just about due up for a replacement anyways, buying a secondhand tire would be the way to go.

You can also get some fantastic deals on tires if you're in a big enough area and search "local pickup only" on eBay. Some doofuses forget Craigslist exists, and typically won't get any bids other than yourself. My dad picked up a complete set of top of the line tires for my mom's Accord for less than $200 that way; what happens is that often times people buying a new car will want some fancy new rims to go with it, and sell off the basically-new factory wheels and tires once they replace them.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 10, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

baquerd posted:

Wouldn't their insurance cover this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cicero posted:

Wouldn't their insurance cover this?

Not if they only carried liability coverage, which many do to save money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A bad with money story of sorts (numbers wrong but roughly proportionate):

E: removing unintended but apparent humblebrag, apologies

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 11, 2015

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
USAA banking and insurance are different. Almost anyone can bank with them. The membership requirements are mostly for the insurance products.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tyro posted:

USAA banking and insurance are different. Almost anyone can bank with them. The membership requirements are mostly for the insurance products.

Ahhh, that explains it. IDK if their insurance is even worth it if you're not active duty, Progressive was beating every one of their quotes by a handy margin on the equivalent coverage when I was shopping for car insurance last year.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Subjunctive posted:

A bad with money story of sorts (numbers wrong but roughly proportionate):

:downs:

No, that's another humblebrag.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I was posting a few things on fb about the state of bank lending in New Zealand. I've found yet another friend of mine works in the banking sector. She cringes when she is selling personal loans to 18 year olds wanting money to go on a holiday. They do not understand how much the interest cost affects them. She also stated that it's very difficult to explain compounding interest to her customers. Not the good compound interest, the bad compound interest at high rates. The other comments she made are pretty standard BWM being people on good incomes with out of control spending with $50k on the credit card (the stuff that doesn't surprise me any more).

There are people in the banking sector trying to improve financial literacy but their customers don't want to know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

No, that's another humblebrag.

How so?

E: anyway, wasn't my intent, I'll remove it.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 11, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

There are people in the banking sector trying to improve financial literacy but their customers don't want to know.
This is something that a lot of people don't realize. Whenever I turned down applicants for credit lines/loans for silly things (vacations, weddings, motor homes, boats, gambling money) they'd flip out and unleash tirade of terrible words at you, as if you're denying them an apparent right to credit. People have a real addiction to credit, and denying them any more is like denying a drug addict their fix. I actually got surprised when an applicant didn't lose their mind, over it.

And discussing long-term investing is many times more difficult. Everyone out there thinks they're Wall Street hot shots. The people with over-extended credit and overdrawn accounts all think they know more than any financial advisor. It's lunacy.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 11, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ahhh, that explains it. IDK if their insurance is even worth it if you're not active duty, Progressive was beating every one of their quotes by a handy margin on the equivalent coverage when I was shopping for car insurance last year.
Progressive insurance is poo poo. It's easy to have the lowest prices if your only expense is advertising.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

This is something that a lot of people don't realize. Whenever I turned down applicants for credit lines/loans for silly things (vacations, weddings, motor homes, boats, gambling money) they'd flip out and unleash tirade of terrible words at you, as if you're denying them an apparent right to credit. People have a real addiction to credit, and denying them any more is like denying a drug addict their fix. I actually got surprised when an applicant didn't lose their mind, over it.

And discussing long-term investing is many times more difficult. Everyone out there thinks they're Wall Street hot shots. The people with over-extended credit and overdrawn accounts all think they know more than any financial advisor. It's lunacy.

Addiction to spending and credit. It reminds me of reading some books that pointed out that people link money directly to their biological survival. Cut off their credit and it's like you're depriving them of food or air. It does remind me of one of the documentaries I linked months ago with the cleaner who made 18k pounds per year, he went into the bank for a financial check up and they said he could borrow more then gave him a platinum credit card. He thought he must be a great customer rather than heading into serious financial trouble. Not a clue that unproductive debts are a financial disaster which leads people to a lot of stress or killing themselves.

I am sure that anyone who can accumulate $50k in credit card debt will perform in an amazing fashion if they invested money in the stock market. :gary:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Having used both companies, it's worth it just for the level of service they provide.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Uh might as well hoard guns and ammo in your bunker while you're at it.

Don't forget to hoard toilet paper as well.

Hey. You wanna make a bit o' money?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tyro posted:

Having used both companies, it's worth it just for the level of service they provide.

I have locked myself out of my car more than a few times because I am a dummy and they've always sent someone out at no charge. I haven't even gotten a "dude this is like the second time this year what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

enraged_camel posted:

I love USAA, but now I'm in a situation where I need a Medallion Signature Guarantee to move my IRA to a different brokerage firm, and I can't find anyone willing to do it because I don't have an account with anyone locally. Headaches do pop up from time to time if you don't have access to a local branch.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 11, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

I love USAA, but now I'm in a situation where I need a Medallion Signature Guarantee to move my IRA to a different brokerage firm, and I can't find anyone willing to do it because I don't have an account with anyone locally. Headaches do pop up from time to time if you don't have access to a local branch.

You may actually not need that Medallion Guarantee; by default it will say that you do, but if it's under a certain amount (can't remember if it's 50k or 150k) it's not actually necessary. Came up for me recently when I moved to Vanguard, was able to get it waived with a quick message.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You may actually not need that Medallion Guarantee; by default it will say that you do, but if it's under a certain amount (can't remember if it's 50k or 150k) it's not actually necessary. Came up for me recently when I moved to Vanguard, was able to get it waived with a quick message.

Did you move from USAA to Vanguard? Did you just contact USAA and tell them that you were doing it and to accept the request? I got conflicting info as to whether or not I'd need one from both sides, so I went ahead and just sent in the paperwork and I'm hoping for the best.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

reddit posted:

My wife and I bought into the market in Edmonton two months before it leveled off back in around 2008 and then it started to fall. Unfortuantely we bought our condo at 249,900 and right now it's worth about 210,000. If we sell it now we might break even, but it's hard to keep an eye on it from all the way out in Vancouver.

So yes I wish we had waited. And I wish we hadn't bought a condo.

I asked how one could break even by buying at $249k and selling at $210k and got this response:

quote:

Not sure if sarcastic. There is no /s. Break even as in the mortgage is paid down to be at 210, so if he sold it, he would get the remaining for the mortgage. No profit, and an "invisible loss", yet he wouldn't continue to pay the mortgage after, so not a "real loss".

Since when does "break even" mean taking a capital loss of $39k, 7 years of mortgage interest payments, property tax, strata fees, sales commission, and opportunity cost on the down payment? So that's not a "real loss"? Not only that, the hive mind concurred with the response that being able to sell a house without being underwater is breaking even.

I guess my idea that breaking even means not losing money is old fashioned.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It could be "breaking even" if you compare it to rent prices over that timeframe?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Did you move from USAA to Vanguard? Did you just contact USAA and tell them that you were doing it and to accept the request? I got conflicting info as to whether or not I'd need one from both sides, so I went ahead and just sent in the paperwork and I'm hoping for the best.

It was actually from Edward Jones to Vanguard, account that my parents had set up for me way back when. I understood the Medallion Signature thing to be related to a government requirement rather than specific to the company, I did it through Vanguard with no real notification to Edward Jones IIRC.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mantle posted:

I asked how one could break even by buying at $249k and selling at $210k and got this response:

Since when does "break even" mean taking a capital loss of $39k, 7 years of mortgage interest payments, property tax, strata fees, sales commission, and opportunity cost on the down payment? So that's not a "real loss"? Not only that, the hive mind concurred with the response that being able to sell a house without being underwater is breaking even.

What the gently caress do you mean by "underwater"? Who buys a house that IS underwater? Are you using some kind of retarded definition of underwater here? I guess my idea that "underwater" means under water is old fashioned.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Zo posted:

What the gently caress do you mean by "underwater"? Who buys a house that IS underwater? Are you using some kind of retarded definition of underwater here? I guess my idea that "underwater" means under water is old fashioned.

http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/underwater

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

:thejoke:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

:negative: I'm easily confused, sorry.

To contribute something actually BWM, one of my Facebook friends (who I know as a friend-of-a-friend and have probably only met in person twice) has spent the last several months trying to set up some sort of overly-ambitious cafe/hangout place in his small hometown of roughly 20,000 people. The description is a whole load of generic buzzwords -- a place for learning and spirituality, a community resource for people from all walks of life, hosting all sorts of creative events, and so on and so forth, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly a cafe/hangout/event space for creative types.

I've only been sort of vaguely paying attention to it until recently, as it gets closer (maybe? a couple weeks ago it still didn't have bathrooms, I think) to completion and has started to pick up some attention in his local news, etc. Apparently, he's rolling in $55k worth of credit card debt (with a handful of maxed out cards included in there), made a Kickstarter for it (it didn't make much money), AND now has a Patreon account too, but he's still $10k short for something or other.

Apparently today was the day he was finally ready to start putting expenses into QuickBooks.

At least he's having fun, I guess?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tamba posted:

It could be "breaking even" if you compare it to rent prices over that timeframe?

Yeah, it seems like they could be in much worse shape. Consider if they'd have rented a place at $1200/month for the past seven years. That would have cost them a little over $100K. The condo losing value cost them $39K, plus insurance, closing costs, property tax, possible HOA fees, etc. They didn't do great by any means, but they probably broke even compared to what they would have paid renting a similar place. Obviously they took on much more risk and limited their flexibility by buying the condo, but buying right before the housing market crashed hardly makes someone bad with money.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It was actually from Edward Jones to Vanguard, account that my parents had set up for me way back when. I understood the Medallion Signature thing to be related to a government requirement rather than specific to the company, I did it through Vanguard with no real notification to Edward Jones IIRC.

Supposedly some institutions require it, and some don't. Vanguard doesn't. It's basically a way to limit liability. The firm accepting the money has no real incentive to require it, as the prospect of obtaining your business outweighs the incredibly low likelihood of fraud. The firm giving up the money has no real incentive not to require it. Giving you an extra hoop to jump through will prevent a certain amount of people from leaving the firm, and giving away a bunch of money has no upside in terms of accepting the risk of fraud.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 11, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Zo posted:

Except that "to break even" has a common and well-understood meaning which has nothing to do with breaking things.

I dunno if you were trying to make a joke or not. If you were, :downs:. If you weren't, :spergin:.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Mantle posted:

It means no cash out of pocket at closing

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Weatherman posted:

Except that "to break even" has a common and well-understood meaning which has nothing to do with breaking things.

I dunno if you were trying to make a joke or not. If you were, :downs:. If you weren't, :spergin:.

Are you actually retarded? I was making fun of the guy for insisting that "break even" must mean "selling price = buying price" no matter what instead of the easily understood meaning of:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It means no cash out of pocket at closing

in the context of the original post.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've personally never heard it in that context before, learned something new today.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Did you feel like you missed out on the last real estate bubble collapse? Don't worry, you can still get in on this one!
https://www.groundfloor.us/

It's a "real estate crowdfunding" site that allows you to invest in the lucrative house flipping market. The idea is that you can short-term fund the improvements that aspiring house flippers are putting into properties they buy, and getting a return on it when they sell.

I know that people make real money flipping houses, but they usually do so because they have a ton of money to dump into improvements, their own crew or a good network of contractors to actually do the work, and methods to cut down on the transaction costs of real estate (buying at auction, selling as a broker, etc.)

The people who are good at it don't need investors, and the people who need investors to do it probably are amateurs who will not be good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I have also never ever heard it used outside the context of "money out covers all money put in". I'm calling shenanigans on using it as "remaining mortgage balance is covered with no additional no closing costs".

• Locked thread