Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Got hosed on the daily run. Opened a red chest that was two troll bombs and waited on the other side of the room but somehow the right bomb exploded first sending the left bomb flying right toward me which exploded before I even had a moment to react. Was Judas and had only one heart so it killed me!! Boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kawalimus posted:

Got hosed on the daily run. Opened a red chest that was two troll bombs and waited on the other side of the room but somehow the right bomb exploded first sending the left bomb flying right toward me which exploded before I even had a moment to react. Was Judas and had only one heart so it killed me!! Boo.

The double troll bomb red chest will have one bomb always explode first now, presumably as a workaround to that one spike room layout where it's 4 blue fires surrounding a red chest and the fact that simultaneous explosions each count as a hit on objects. So iirc you had double the chance to get soul hearts from those fires if you got double troll bombs, or even the chance to get two hearts from one fire.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I just completed the speed challenge in one go - of course what helped it along was getting Dr Fetus on floor 1 followed by the laser ring shooting thing on floor 2 - turns out the interaction is your bombs now have a halo of laser around them and it does pretty god drat good damage, and has the standard fire rate of Dr Fetus. Raced through after that since i could bomb doors open and murder everything in very short order. Mom's heart went down in about 10 seconds to that combo. I had fear shot, as well but that turned out to not even remotely be necessary.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AnonSpore posted:

The double troll bomb red chest will have one bomb always explode first now, presumably as a workaround to that one spike room layout where it's 4 blue fires surrounding a red chest and the fact that simultaneous explosions each count as a hit on objects. So iirc you had double the chance to get soul hearts from those fires if you got double troll bombs, or even the chance to get two hearts from one fire.

That seems an odd way to fix it. But now I know they will always have one explode first from now on.

Daily run is probably my favorite thing about the new expansion. You got one shot and can't blow it!!! And everyone plays the same one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I beat speed with glass cannon before it was nerfed lmao

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Finally beat Hush with Isaac. Are there any more unlocks to get for beating him with the other characters?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Thanks, chaos.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Waffle! posted:

Finally beat Hush with Isaac. Are there any more unlocks to get for beating him with the other characters?

yeah I think you get something for all of them

azazel unlocks maw of the void, for example

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

yeah I think you get something for all of them

azazel unlocks maw of the void, for example

It's also how you unlock Lilith's Succubus familiar (using her obviously).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

incubus, but yeah

I only make the distinction because succubus is also an item in the game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I though Hush unlocked the devil-familiar spawned for Lilith?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

incubus is the devil familiar lilith starts with, and yes killing hush with lilith unlocks it as a regular item anyone can find

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lose a bajillion runs trying to win Greed Mode as ??? just once, tossing time and fun down the toilet.

Give up and go play an Eden run for fun, end up with nail-shot, mom's contact, mom's eye, all the damage-ups, all the shot-speed ups, coal. Feels like I'm playing Quake with an infinite ammo nailgun. :getin:

When this game's fun, it's fun.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

incubus is the devil familiar lilith starts with, and yes killing hush with lilith unlocks it as a regular item anyone can find

seems like a good way to break many challenges, considering it's a devil item

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So I just fought Ultra Greed with Mutant Spider, Ipecac, Jar of Flies, and Hive Mind with sworn protector helping

It took me nearly ten minutes :suicide: gently caress the damage scaling on that piece of poo poo.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Oh the sadness when a good run is over. Just finished up a carried-as-gently caress Judas run in which I was a giant psychic death octopus. Brimstone, Monstro's Lung, Spoonbender, Guppy and about every damage up I can think of. Blitzed through the boss rush and Hush without even needing the unlocks, was just fun.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

legoman727 posted:

So I just fought Ultra Greed with Mutant Spider, Ipecac, Jar of Flies, and Hive Mind with sworn protector helping

It took me nearly ten minutes :suicide: gently caress the damage scaling on that piece of poo poo.

I had an Ipecac-based fight against ultra greed earlier where I had to pop D100 during it to get new health, it ended up spawning a Bumbo, and I lost all 43 coins I was going to deposit. :[

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

VineST posted:

Yeah, I think it's going to be on the fast track to the Special Items list.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
boy did I not miss the Lost . loving hell this game is not built around a one hit kill character, especially with the tanky bosses now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VineST posted:

that depends on whether it makes other characters work like lilith but without the box or not

if it just gives you double the fire power for free, yeah that's absurd

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

that depends on whether it makes other characters work like lilith but without the box or not

More to the point, on a blindfold challenge it gives you tears. Cat got your tongue, Brains, Beans, Solar System, etc, You get an incubus and the run's gimmick is basically eliminated.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is it possible to get 2 incubii via the item itself and then one permanently spawned by cambion conception? I've had both items but it never seems to happen for me, yet I get 2 dark bums all the time.

Ashsaber posted:

More to the point, on a blindfold challenge it gives you tears. Cat got your tongue, Brains, Beans, Solar System, etc, You get an incubus and the run's gimmick is basically eliminated.
Yeah that's how I wound up finishing Blue Bomber.

I lost my last attempt mostly because I bought the car battery thinking it would let me get twice the kamikaze explosions per use and instead the car battery did the exact opposite of that.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's what it does. it's like a 20/20 that combines better with many other items (e.g. triple and quad) but it's usually a little harder to hit with both shots.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't quite know why but I just can't use Azazel at the moment, I'm fine with most other characters but I fall apart once I get him.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Testekill posted:

I don't quite know why but I just can't use Azazel at the moment, I'm fine with most other characters but I fall apart once I get him.

Because he's been "accidentally" nerfed into the ground and does less than 1/5 of the dps he used to.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The defensiveness is getting real old real fast. "What, I didn't give straight answers and people misunderstood my intentions? How could I have ever foreseen this?"

Otherwise I'm glad to see they're adjusting things.

you know what's getting even older? people like you who just won't stop whining at every possible opportunity

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Hrr, just had this happen:

I can't get to the chest because greed is blocking it. I'm not sure what happens if I exit and reload. Hopefully I can at least do the fight again. Going to try now.

e: It just despawned the greed statue. Hooray. Also that was a hilariously easy fight. I had a hulked out bumbo and gnawed leaf, so I just went outside to smoke and when I came back greed was dead.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 10, 2015

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

legoman727 posted:

I picked up a Mom's Knife to overcome my low damage and while it works wonders with the Greed mode waves, Ultra Greed was really difficult, especially whenever there were dozens of Greeds flooding through the doors. I lost all my health before I could take the boss down to half health.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Nurge posted:

Hrr, just had this happen:

I can't get to the chest because greed is blocking it. I'm not sure what happens if I exit and reload. Hopefully I can at least do the fight again. Going to try now.

e: It just despawned the greed statue. Hooray. Also that was a hilariously easy fight. I had a hulked out bumbo and gnawed leaf, so I just went outside to smoke and when I came back greed was dead.

That happened to me, but I didn't think of reloading it, since you don't need to go into the chest for it to count as a kill afaik.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Just how big can you get with enough pills? Very big.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What does "secret hanging shopkeepers" or whatever do?

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

AnonSpore posted:

What does "secret hanging shopkeepers" or whatever do?

Shopkeepers in the game now can have coins for eyes and they always drop nickels when you explode them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghost Head posted:

you know what's getting even older? people like you who just won't stop whining at every possible opportunity

Fortunately it isn't as old as people who make needless passive-aggressive comments so I'm still ahead of you there.

Waffle! posted:

Just how big can you get with enough pills? Very big.

At that point I'm pretty sure yout hitbox is just "yes."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Because he's been "accidentally" nerfed into the ground and does less than 1/5 of the dps he used to.

I'm pretty sure the damage nerf was legitimately accidental. It seems excessive even by the standards of BoI nerfs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tRIDAV posted:

Shopkeepers in the game now can have coins for eyes and they always drop nickels when you explode them.

Oh poo poo that's awesome.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

tRIDAV posted:

never knew about that second part.... spooky.

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010

tRIDAV posted:

Unfortunately, it's not 100%. I started blowing up every shopkeeper with coined eyes as soon as I noticed the cosmetic difference and have been disappointed several times. I wouldn't discount the possibility that hanging shopkeepers with eyes always drop something, though! Can't remember if any of those haven't paid out.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Can't the coin-eyed shopkeepers drop The Quarter as well?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of coins, I'm kind of surprised they didn't make a Half Dollar or Silver Dollar/Suzan B Anthony Coin item. I'd imagine rather then being actual money, they'd be a pedestal item of some kind.

On the other hand, I'm really disappointed Milk isn't a passive tear modifier like Chocolate Milk or Soy Milk.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Looking at things I can unlock, there's a lot of pretty bad unlocks (the new pills seem meh, many of the runes, etc). Are there any reasons at all to pursue unlocking these, besides Platinum God status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
So far, I've had special shopkeepers either drop higher-value coins, or turn into one of those hanging Greed-likes that then drops higher-value coins when killed.