Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So I named my guy Shawn and of loving course that isn't a voiced option for Codsworth, is there someway I can edit an .ini and change my name to something good like fuckface or dong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Colgate posted:

This is actually my biggest problem! I'm supposed to care about the husband and kid, but they give you zero reason to, except MUST CARE ABOUT BABY. Talking to Codsworth after you leave the vault at the beginning gives you four dialogue non-choices, since they all boil down to WHERES MY BABY. What's the point in having dialogue choices if they're all basically the same thing. There's like zero options for any roleplaying outside of what Bethesda wants you to do.

At least FO3 gave you the option to go "no, you shut the gently caress up dad" when you find him.

What's got me intrigued is , you go back into stasis after that moment. I suspect we're not actually going to find a baby Shaun :ohdear:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I named my guy Shawn and of loving course that isn't a voiced option for Codsworth, is there someway I can edit an .ini and change my name to something good like fuckface or dong?

There is an .ini you can change, or you can also press ~ and enter "ShowSPECIALMenu." which will let you change your name. I think it also lets you change your stats, don't do that unless you possibly want to reset your level. (Not sure if it does this)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

The only thing I haven't liked so far was Hey here's your wife, whoops, now she's dead. That's purely character motivation, not player motivation. I as the player have no idea who my wife is as a person and have no real reason to give a poo poo about her other than you telling me that my character does. That's really weak storytelling.

I'm not sure if this is a bit or not. It's your character's wife and baby we're talking about. Everyone in the world has a family.

Every Fallout with proper motivation had a family-based motivation. In 1, your extended family would die without a Water Chip. In 2, your extended family will die without a GECK. In 3, your father escapes. In 4, someone shoots your wife and steals your infant son.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah having my character be forced to act as if she cares about her baby is annoying. This is a Fallout game, I should be able to be as heartless and mercenary as I wanna be. =\

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005

rap music posted:

I made a sniper pipe rifle pretty quickly after starting, I just don't have any drat ammo for the thing.

confused my stockpile of .38 for .308 :(

There is a sniper pipe rifle on the second floor building North West of Concord. The building next to the car corral place. :ssh:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

precision posted:

Yeah having my character be forced to act as if she cares about her baby is annoying. This is a Fallout game, I should be able to be as heartless and mercenary as I wanna be. =\

Unironically this, because I always do an rear end in a top hat playthrough alongside my good one.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I like the way Power Armor is set up. It's resource limited, so you have to use it sparingly. I got wrecked by a Raider base with turrets early on, and I was like, "Oh ok, brb guys." Brought the Power Armor + minigun. :D

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
The host on the Diamond City Radio is great

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Codsworth jokes.

"Relationships are a lot like algebra. You look at your X and try to figure out Y"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
About to try to run this on a Surface Pro 3, this oughta be good. Pretty sure the fan is gonna spin so hard it will launch into orbit.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Starhawk64 posted:

So what's the goon hivemind consensus of this game? Is it a buggy piece of poo poo that I should wait on buying so it can get patched?

I am not one to exagerate, but I have to say that this is the worst game I ever played. It's horrible. Everything about it is bad, it even smells bad. So much poo poo, no fun at all. In the 10+ hours I've played since release I will just NOT stop swearing, all the time. Even my dog has stopped barking and will randomly say "retard! retard!" to me while I play. Wow such epic failage. I want to kill myself, but that would mean leaving a world where fallout 4 still exists. Nuke the world is what I say, so we don't have to suffer this very bad game. Ugh, just ugh. Just stay away. Play a good game, like dark souls, or maybe final fantasy 7.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

kcer posted:

I kind of wish, instead of mimicking Thomas Middleditch they would've just gotten Thomas Middleditch.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kcer posted:

Seriously, a guy that sounds like he barely knows what he is doing and is talking like he's not even clear if anyone can even hear him makes a lot more sense than someone working as a modern DJ in the fallout setting.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man this is super disappointing. It's exactly the same as NV. I feel like I already played this game.

Dialogue, faces, voice acting, animations and the world itself are all completely underwhelming.

It's like the only thing they changed is to make the entire game about scavenging and crafting. Do people really wanna craft an entire goddamn town using some clunky interface?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think I'm going to reroll my dude and focus on the gun-crafting and +full-auto perks. I'm not super impressed with melee, partially because I have 98 minutes played and have found exactly one (1) tire iron and that's it while I have a hundred pounds of pistols and carbines.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I can't seen to chose any perks at L04 / the hacker perk.
I'm at level 5 and I got enough intelligence.

Is this an UI thingy?

I'm a stupid git. Suddenly it works

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fuf posted:

It's like the only thing they changed is to make the entire game about scavenging and crafting. Do people really wanna craft an entire goddamn town using some clunky interface?

Minecraft is very popular, yes.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
unironically super pleased that at last i can tidy up this post-nuclear hellhole in exchange for scrap. spent a disproportionate amount of time tidying up the red rocket garage

wosh u wasteland

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like this game and town crafting, I also like Piper. :3:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

fuf posted:

There are large threads and LPs on this very forum devoted to Dwarf Fortress.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seriously, a guy that sounds like he barely knows what he is doing and is talking like he's not even clear if anyone can even hear him makes a lot more sense than someone working as a modern DJ in the fallout setting.

I'm almost sure the guy is supposed to autistic, or at least severy social anxious.

"That was ... errr.... hehe... rocket....err.... 69 *chuckles* uhmm..."

I love this guy.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Just as an FYI, since we're sharing, I've been running with everything on ultra with the except of things I don't really care about (godrays, motion blur off, bokeh off). I don't know what FPS I'm running at, but it looks good? No stuttering or anything.

i5-4690
8GB RAM
GTX 970
Windows 10

I put about a grand into building a new PC for this game and The Witcher 3, feel pretty justified with how they both run. Phew!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there a post or something somewhere that has like the "least spoilery way to get each party member" manifesto? I hate it when I run into the best character when I'm already 3/4 done so I'd like to meet as many as quickly as possible.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this game staggers me with the amount of poo poo that is lazy or poorly thought out. in the first thirty minutes of the game alone -

1. the bombs drop literally right after you put your name down for the vault. you immediately then run there, *past* the guy you gave your name to, and proceed without issue. how did nobody raise a flag at this?
2. when it's time to leave the door literally swings open like it's a disney world ride or haunted house or something lol
3. If you go left out your door it takes all of five seconds to get to a place where you literally see actors fade in out of nothingness and start running towards the vault
4. ineffectual briefcase man - on your left as you run towards the vault. his wife is telling him to hurry but what is the actual issue? his bag seems fine, he seems fine, pick your poo poo up and get moving bro. like much else in this game I don't think they expected you to think too hard about it
5. the guy manning the door controls in the vault. says that 'once you're in the vault there'll be lots of time for everyone to get to know one another", but this obviously makes no sense considering the nature of the vault. The only way to have this make sense is for the guy to be some sort of sociopath who gets off on being way over the top in his deception. "Move along, your questions will be answered shortly" wasn't enough for this loving psychopath
6. if you go to the police station before following that moron in a cowboy hat from concord to wherever, you still have the option to tell the BoS that you're from the town that I'm assuming you set up. They clearly put zero effort into reactive stuff like this that NV was full of.

that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's stuff to like but there was sooooo much more just like these examples that it'll be an exercise in making my own fun. Not that we didn't know that going in.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is there a nude mod with realistic boners yet?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I keep on hearing that the specs were significantly exaggerated and the game isn't as taxing as we were led to believe. Well I'm a big dumb idiot and ordered laptop ram instead of PC ram so now I have to wait for my replacement. Meanwhile, I'm half tempted to try and run the game with just 4GB of ram on a gtx 960.

Think I'll have some luck or should I just save my money til I upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

The Walrus posted:

5. the guy manning the door controls in the vault. says that 'once you're in the vault there'll be lots of time for everyone to get to know one another", but this obviously makes no sense considering the nature of the vault. The only way to have this make sense is for the guy to be some sort of sociopath who gets off on being way over the top in his deception. "Move along, your questions will be answered shortly" wasn't enough for this loving psychopath
6. if you go to the police station before following that moron in a cowboy hat from concord to wherever, you still have the option to tell the BoS that you're from the town that I'm assuming you set up. They clearly put zero effort into reactive stuff like this that NV was full of.

that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's stuff to like but there was sooooo much more just like these examples that it'll be an exercise in making my own fun. Not that we didn't know that going in.

You've got some valid points but these two are not. If you read the overseers log you'll understand why 5 is not an issue, and the town you build with the minnuteman guy IS the town you're from, just 200 years later.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

The Walrus posted:

this game staggers me with the amount of poo poo that is lazy or poorly thought out. in the first thirty minutes of the game alone -

1. the bombs drop literally right after you put your name down for the vault. you immediately then run there, *past* the guy you gave your name to, and proceed without issue. how did nobody raise a flag at this?
2. when it's time to leave the door literally swings open like it's a disney world ride or haunted house or something lol
3. If you go left out your door it takes all of five seconds to get to a place where you literally see actors fade in out of nothingness and start running towards the vault
4. ineffectual briefcase man - on your left as you run towards the vault. his wife is telling him to hurry but what is the actual issue? his bag seems fine, he seems fine, pick your poo poo up and get moving bro. like much else in this game I don't think they expected you to think too hard about it

oh no this game is bad. reqiest stea, refunds asap!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

The Walrus posted:

To be fair, this is like a day after the bombs dropped for John Fallout and you spend all of 10 minutes awake in the Vault, so it kinda makes sense that you'd reflexively list your pre-war neighborhood.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

The Walrus posted:

This is actually answered by terminal entries inside the vault. The staff is SUPPOSED to lie to you.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
is it just me or do god rays keep turning themselves back on

i'm at work now so i can't test further but i'd like to get better FPS somehow

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Walrus posted:

You were preapproved because you/r husband was a soldier, clipboard man was basically just there to finalize paperwork. Surprisingly when nukes are falling, they don't really give a poo poo if form 22-A was submitted properly, they see your name on a list of pre-approved folks and let you in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bit or not. It's your character's wife and baby we're talking about. Everyone in the world has a family.

Every Fallout with proper motivation had a family-based motivation. In 1, your extended family would die without a Water Chip. In 2, your extended family will die without a GECK. In 3, your father escapes. In 4, someone shoots your wife and steals your infant son.

Everybody has a father, but not everybody has a wife or a baby. And I'm not saying 3's relationship with Liam Neeson was much better.

But that wasn't even my point. The point is, and this happens A LOT in videogames, you have to give the player a chance to develop a relationship with the character before the player will have emotions at the death or the danger of the character. When you find out that Marcus Phoenix's dad died or whoever in Gears of War, it means nothing to you as a player and comes across as hilarious when they get all sad because you've literally never seen or even heard about that character before. They mean nothing to you but the character is screaming "NOOOO!" and that juxtaposition just seems silly. Now I'm not saying she should be your bodypillow waifu or whatever, but having a few levels where you actually get to know the character makes all the difference. In Fallout 4 we only get 5 minutes of our wife saying "hey go play with the baby" and then "hey lets go to the shelter", its just not enough to care.

Compare that with a character like Elizabeth from Bioshock who you actually get to know her personality a little so that by the time she goes missing, you actually give a poo poo.

I'm fine with the motivation in the game being "family". But that family needs to feel like the player's family, not the player's character's family. See the difference? I don't give a poo poo about my avatar's virtual family inherently.

Needing to find your baby feels more like a chore than a moral imperative.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 10, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Finster Dexter posted:

I like the way Power Armor is set up. It's resource limited, so you have to use it sparingly. I got wrecked by a Raider base with turrets early on, and I was like, "Oh ok, brb guys." Brought the Power Armor + minigun. :D

As long as you don't sprint around everywhere you can pretty much wear power armor forever, especially with the intelligence related perks. I'm pretty sure you could walk all the way across the map twice and only use a single core with that perk at the max level. As far as I can tell they're infinitely available from traders, too, so you don't really have to worry about running out.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
My favorite thing so far is the discount Jon Hamm and George Clooney voice actors for the sole survivor and Danse.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Controls: D- keyboard/mouse controls are like they were outsourced to that one nation in Dilbert where people just guess how PCs might work and everyone is waste deep in mud for some reason
Sound: 3 out of 8, fully docking 5 points for bored radio guy
Graphics: 3 stars inconsistent see me after class
Fun Factor: Two thumbs up pew pew

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Colgate posted:

This is actually answered by terminal entries inside the vault. The staff is SUPPOSED to lie to you.

I read those logs. It also says that the staff is *also* kept on minimal information - for the guy to, with all sincerity, say what he says, the only way to rationalize it is that he's a sociopath. Everyone else you talk to is very much 'move along, sir'

edit: oh I didn't realize the town you give is the name of your old hometown. I guess that's alright.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Son of Rodney posted:

I'm almost sure the guy is supposed to autistic, or at least severy social anxious.

"That was ... errr.... hehe... rocket....err.... 69 *chuckles* uhmm..."

I love this guy.

Yeah, I kinda read it like he's unclear if he's really broadcasting so sometimes he'll get into being a radio producer then immediately quit and decide he's just talking to himself anyway and there is no reason to actually try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

precision posted:

Is there a post or something somewhere that has like the "least spoilery way to get each party member" manifesto? I hate it when I run into the best character when I'm already 3/4 done so I'd like to meet as many as quickly as possible.

Well, you get Dogmeat very early in the game and he is the only companion I will ever need :colbert:

• Locked thread