Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How do you tell Dogmeat to stop following you? Just tell him to stay at a certain point and he will? I heard talk of being able to build a doghouse for him, but I don't see the option.

I can't wait for a mod that keeps a targeting reticle up when you hold right click to zoom in. Why Iron Sights is a thing in games now, I'll never know.

Few hours in, and I'm already having more fun than NV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

ymgve posted:

- gently caress YOU DOGMEAT DON'T RUN INTO MY LEGS ALL THE TIME

- I really should get over my hoarding habit

- Hard to find a gun that I like so far. Experimenting with mods is cumbersome since you have to spend resources every time you change something, even changing back.

-If you have never owned a dog, then you can't appreciate how dogs can run into your legs any time you are trying to walk somewhere.

-This game has made my hoarding worse. I'll loot toasters, baseballs, radios, cameras, everything single item I can, just so I can building a loving ceiling fan in my settlement, or put a loving scope on my 10mm pistol.

- I found a full auto 10mm pistol, with an extended clip, and loving love it. I just need more ammo. Something gets close, change to it, and turn it into a colander of flesh.

Also, gently caress Survival difficulty. Holy poo poo, legendary bloodbugs are some motherfuckers, hard as poo poo to hit with bullets, and they can take a 12 shots from the 10mm, or four/five rounds from a sawed off.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

busfahrer posted:

How would they even patch it? Dagger fall was when, 93?
Darklands had some epic patches in '92, '93.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Do I have to carry all these magazines with me to get the benefits or is there somewhere I can ditch them in a settlement?

Where is the bobblehead holder?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Thin armor counts as base. The little pipboy icon will show you what armor slots a piece of armor takes up but a good general rule is that thin armor has no defensive stats but usually some other bonus. (Usually a 1-2 SPECIAL stat bonus.) If it is thin armor you can layer atop it. If it is thick armor you can't.

I don't know if you're playing a different game from me, but that is just flat out not true in this one. Almost every piece of "thin armor" or armor with 0 damage resistance, or no damage resistance at all, is incapable of being used with any individual armor piece. At least when I try to equip them. Then you have other items like the Drifter's Outfit, Kellogg's outfit, or Cage Armor which is a full set in and of itself, and then you've got stuff like the Athletics outfit which only protects the legs with armor but is a full body suit when you equip it, so you need a separate chest piece and two arm pieces. Granted I haven't been trying on every single piece of gear I've found, but so far only the Vault Tec suits give you stats without armor while letting you equip something else (with the exception of the Atheletics outfit and one other I found which protect only some parts of the body).

nessin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2015

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
It's a sandwich :colbert:

Found ~4 super mutants walking along, one of them was the suicidey kind. Had 1 missile and a missile launcher.

I got this legendary knife after killing a legendary alpha mutt

Found this legendary armor after killing a legendary mirelurk while fetching some ~ultra rare murder-baseball memorabilia~

I can't stop playing this goddamn game it's so good :negative:

Has anyone checked if the companion app makes the workforce task management less terrible somehow? Is this what it feels like to manage a McDonalds?

Fallout 4: McDonalds Management Simulator

Edit: bobble-head holder is under miscellaneous decorations

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Do I have to carry all these magazines with me to get the benefits or is there somewhere I can ditch them in a settlement?

Where is the bobblehead holder?

The magazines don't weigh anything, so why not just leave them in your inventory?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The Raider Leathers and Travel Leathers both fit under armor and give some small resistance.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So what's the goon hivemind consensus of this game? Is it a buggy piece of poo poo that I should wait on buying so it can get patched?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Codsworth's jokes are amazing.

Codsworth is amazing.

That is all

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Starhawk64 posted:

So what's the goon hivemind consensus of this game? Is it a buggy piece of poo poo that I should wait on buying so it can get patched?

It is like any other bethesda game, people call it ok but good with mods, so the game is poo poo unless you are broken brained and a hoarder. You will enjoy the game if you can get over all of its flaws like UI, settings, and gameplay.

Wait for it to go on sale or for mods to be developed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How do I tell a companion (like the dog for example) to stop being my companion and leave me alone so I can get my lone wanderer bonus?

I can command them to stay, but then they show up after fast traveling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I saw a Suicider Super Mutant for the first time among a bunch of his buddies, and shot him hoping for a bit of fratricide. It was only as he came running towards me that I saw he was carrying a loving mini-nuke under his arm like a deranged quarterback. Barely got a lucky shot to set it off moments before he could give me a nuclear tan.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Starhawk64 posted:

It's a Bethesda game: it's got minor problems, but it's fun as hell and most of the annoyances would've been ignored if the Favored Developer had done them.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Do I have to manually drop and then scrap every piece of junk? Because it's starting to get a bit tedious. Is there an interface where I can scrap for a menu, or will it auto-scrap things for me if I put the junk items in the workbench?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

How do I tell a companion (like the dog for example) to stop being my companion and leave me alone so I can get my lone wanderer bonus?

Talk to Dog then there should be a "Leave the Party" option. It's not "Stay", it's the option that shows up if you actually Talk to Dog.

Seriously people how do generators and electricity work though? Wiring lightbulbs doesn't work and it appears you need to put Generators inside of everything that needs power? That can't be right.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
PSA: Watch the intro videos every time, it's been something new for me every time. I love the old timey animations :3:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Two things I cannot stand in this game are the inability to remap the E key for looting and the inability to map anything to the numpad. I usually use numpad 1 and 0 to sprint and jump, now every time I press numpad zero out of habit, he wastes a stimpak instead of jumps.

Can Autohotkey fix this mess? I have no idea how to use autohotkey.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fintilgin posted:

I can command them to stay, but then they show up after fast traveling.

This is a bit unintuitive at first - you start by activating the companion as if you were directing them around, but then you have to get close to them for the dialog wheel to pop up. There you can use the "Talk" option to get the option of dismissing them.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Do I have to manually drop and then scrap every piece of junk? Because it's starting to get a bit tedious. Is there an interface where I can scrap for a menu, or will it auto-scrap things for me if I put the junk items in the workbench?

Just put all of your junk in the workbench/armor crafting bench/weapon crafting bench, it should've told you about it, the first time that you started crafting. I got a notification about it the first time I used a bench.

Starhawk64 posted:

The game is a lot of loving fun, I am at work, and looking forward to going back and playing it more. I have had one bug where I got stuck, but it just took a little bit of jumping to get unstuck. The weapons are all pretty awesome, and I really enjoy the recoil/sound/feel of the guns I have found so far. I am playing on Survival mode, and so far haven't got much past the 10mm and pipe pistol. This is going to be a long long game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

It is like any other bethesda game, people call it ok but good with mods, so the game is poo poo unless you are broken brained and a hoarder. You will enjoy the game if you can get over all of its flaws like UI, settings, and gameplay.

Wait for it to go on sale or for mods to be developed.

i enjoy the game

rip

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

This is like the 5th time I've seen this exact question asked which really speaks to how much better Bethesda could have explained this in-game.

You can open up the workbench or any workshop in a settlement and transfer poo poo to it, once in the settlement pool things will automatically be scrapped as you need the components.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Do they say the name "Bort"?

Also are there special 1 INT conversations?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ymgve posted:

This is a bit unintuitive at first - you start by activating the companion as if you were directing them around, but then you have to get close to them for the dialog wheel to pop up. There you can use the "Talk" option to get the option of dismissing them.

Ah, thanks. The interface is...obtuse.

I do love the dismissive noises your character makes when skipping dialogue. :lol:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Me too, but I guess all that means is that I will never know if I would have been more effective in action games if I had started with my left hand from the beginning.

Southpaw also. If I use a mouse with my left instead of right hand it feels wrong... but I'm at least as accurate with it, if not slightly moreso. I switch back to the right as soon as possible because it feels so weird, but I can pretty clearly see tell that if I forced myself to get used to it I'd probably be looking at responsiveness and precision like I had in my teens.

Specific gamechat: so the clock speed for everything in-game is tied to framerate, there's a video on Reddit and I'm sure it's somewhere a page or ten back here also. It actually looks BETTER at 144. Physics for falling objects seems better, movement seems better, just in general it's tighter-looking. If there aren't any ways in which this breaks the game that seems like the way to go if you've got a monitor that supports it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm definitely way way more interested in the story of F4 than F3 or NV both.

Also everybody said the shooting was about the same, and it is about the same, but it feels a bit tighter and better overall too. I was kinda surprised, it feels decent. Its still no proper FPS but its better than F3 shooting by a bit.

And the way the new VATS doesn't completely pause time is kinda cool.

People still look ugly (Bethesda really needs to hire some new artists who can draw people) but everything else looks pretty cool, reminds me more of Bioshock Infinite than Fallout 3.

The only thing I haven't liked so far was Hey here's your wife, whoops, now she's dead. That's purely character motivation, not player motivation. I as the player have no idea who my wife is as a person and have no real reason to give a poo poo about her other than you telling me that my character does. That's really weak storytelling.

Its pretty much just as dumb as opening NV by having you get shot in the head. Only I guess its more believable.

MisterBibs posted:

How do you tell Dogmeat to stop following you? Just tell him to stay at a certain point and he will? I heard talk of being able to build a doghouse for him, but I don't see the option.

I can't wait for a mod that keeps a targeting reticle up when you hold right click to zoom in. Why Iron Sights is a thing in games now, I'll never know.

Few hours in, and I'm already having more fun than NV.

You talk to him and tell him to stay. No idea how long he'll wait for you. (forever? Awhile? no clue)

To build a doghouse you need to have a settlement and a house and stuff probably. There's a whole building mode that you have to trigger by doing some stuff. Probably need that to build the doghouse and then tell him to wait there permanently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nessin posted:

I don't know if you're playing a different game from me, but that is just flat out not true in this one. Almost every piece of "thin armor" or armor with 0 damage resistance, or no damage resistance at all, is incapable of being used with any individual armor piece. At least when I try to equip them. Then you have other items like the Drifter's Outfit, Kellogg's outfit, or Cage Armor which is a full set in and of itself, and then you've got stuff like the Athletics outfit which only protects the legs with armor but is a full body suit when you equip it, so you need a separate chest piece and two arm pieces. Granted I haven't been trying on every single piece of gear I've found, but so far only the Vault Tec suits give you stats without armor while letting you equip something else (with the exception of the Atheletics outfit and one other I found which protect only some parts of the body).

No, there are a lot of different pieces of armor that do it. Try the Minuteman outfit for example. There are some which don't (the +Cha armor doesn't for some reason) but a good chunk of them do.

Honestly though the Minuteman outfit is so good that it was a long time before I replaced it. It's a bonus to AGI and PER which is fantastic for almost any build while also accepting armor pieces.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 10, 2015

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

rap music posted:

game good. poo poo, but good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Weirdly all that building stuff is doable the moment you step out of the vault, both in Sancyuary and the Rocket station. They just don't tell you that at all.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So just wondering, is melee/unarmed better looking graphically? As in, does it actually look like you are hitting people now as opposed to just performing a swinging animation?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

The only thing I haven't liked so far was Hey here's your wife, whoops, now she's dead. That's purely character motivation, not player motivation. I as the player have no idea who my wife is as a person and have no real reason to give a poo poo about her other than you telling me that my character does. That's really weak storytelling.

Its pretty much just as dumb as opening NV by having you get shot in the head. Only I guess its more believable.

Out of curiosity, Is playing as the wife the inverse? Waking to see the husband clutching Shaun and getting his brains splattered?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Back To 99 posted:

Have you figured out which .ini file making changes to actually does something yet?

The one with pref in the name certainly applies the interval change

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, Is playing as the wife the inverse? Waking to see the husband clutching Shaun and getting his brains splattered?

Yes. Your player character is always the one in that situation regardless of gender.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
One little change, the way you interact with containers in this game is strictly superior to Skyrim and Fallout 3. Really saves a ton of time to just look at things and see their inventory and be able to rifle through them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm also wondering the same thing. Probably?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the base building is so loving tight

I have a metal shantytown home with lights and like 10 beds set up

and the bridge is guarded by 3 turrets and a guard post :3:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Zaphod42 posted:

This is actually my biggest problem! I'm supposed to care about the husband and kid, but they give you zero reason to, except MUST CARE ABOUT BABY. Talking to Codsworth after you leave the vault at the beginning gives you four dialogue non-choices, since they all boil down to WHERES MY BABY. What's the point in having dialogue choices if they're all basically the same thing. There's like zero options for any roleplaying outside of what Bethesda wants you to do.

At least FO3 gave you the option to go "no, you shut the gently caress up dad" when you find him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ya

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is it possible to edit the walls and such of most buildings in the starting settlement? I was able to destroy one building but the rest don't highlight at all. I don't want my stronghold to have holes in all the house walls.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like the setting and the story and there are some proper scary and hosed up places so far

Their main story is weird, they should have made it feel less urgent, but other than that its pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Sharrow posted:

If a thing doesn't have a conductor terminal on it, it seems to work if it's within a certain distance of a conductor. If you hang a light from the ceiling, and wire up a conductor on a nearby outside wall / the roof it should work.

Thanks, I had a hunch on the conduits but wasn't sure. Saved me some time.

• Locked thread