Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Do tigermen ever manage to be anything but punchingbags? I seem to remember them being pretty ineffectual in the last tournament, too.

We need to mod them so the moment the battle starts they catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

We need to mod them so the moment the battle starts they catch fire.

You joke, but what if we made a race that catches fire and is also immune to fire damage? Fire Goblin or something. That'd be pretty metal!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Molemarians with toxic blood.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jon joe posted:

They're significantly smaller than Minotaurs for only 100 extra points and have worse stats (that extra point of strength on a 'taur does a lot more than the point of Toughness on the Tigerman). I'd much rather build a Werewolf, personally.

Werewolves are -str though, right?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Looks like Albrik is the first to six kills, he's a shoe-in for the All-Stars. That's more kills individually than Team Laser Explosion have managed collectively.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
My work schedule is back to normal starting next week so I can pick up the slack that ZeeToo picked up from my absence.

Thanks buddy. :hfive:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Werewolves are -str though, right?

Yeah, combined with their size they're probably on-damage with a human, who is smaller but has +str. It's the agility, endurance, and recuperation that makes them good. If I were to have a spot in this tournament like I wanted, I wanted to make a werewolf with a bronze pike, 1 point in the appropriate weapon skill, a wooden shield, 1 point in the same, and the rest of the points in dodging to take advantage of their ability to win in a prolonged fight (and the various passive statboosts that come from prolonged battle).

edit: A smidgen of armor, too, leather, which I would build up with my bonus points. Except a copper helmet, of course.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 8, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You're trying to trigger me, aren't you? :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

You're trying to trigger me, aren't you? :v:

:confused: Not sure I understand. Did I say something wrong?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

jon joe posted:

:confused: Not sure I understand. Did I say something wrong?

I'm impressed by your abilities to out-sperg everyone in a dwarf fortress arena challenge thread.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Splode posted:

I'm impressed by your abilities to out-sperg everyone in a dwarf fortress arena challenge thread.

Thank you, I pride myself on my ability to out-sperg-out.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Give it another few minutes. My Dad is probably just editing pictures for his huge counter-argument writeup.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Give it another few minutes. My Dad is probably just editing pictures for his huge counter-argument writeup.

Heh.

(In actuality I have very little idea what I'm talking about and just basing my ideas off of the info I've gleaned from this thread, most of which is thanks to my dad anyway. Doesn't stop me from playing the big bettor bad guy, though!)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Looks like Albrik is the first to six kills, he's a shoe-in for the All-Stars. That's more kills individually than Team Laser Explosion have managed collectively.

All with absolutely no testing, either! :downs:

The moniker "insignificant" was not done in jest. I looked at previous small race builds for ideas, noticed that most of them didn't seem to work that well, and decided to just go gently caress it and give him a battleaxe and whatever seemed alright and hoped he wouldn't be embarrassing. it helps that he's a big fat killstealer too

otoh i missed the first two participation point bonuses so he sucks now and is going to eat poo poo for it

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 3, Fight 2 :siren:

Worse Munki, the home team, is on the left side of the arena.
Experiment Twenty-Two (fallingdownjoe) is a female tigerman. She wields a copper long sword and a copper shield and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Strangler Than Fiction (Tunicate) is a female strangler. She is empty handed and wears an iron helm, a platinum mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and copper low boots.
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM RETURNS (Pittsburgh Lambic) is a male elf. He wields a silver war hammer and wears leather leggings and leather high boots.
Chaz Steadyfist (Segway Rave) is a male werewolf. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a silver helm, leather armor, and leather gauntlets.

Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena.
Here comes Mongo! (Endorph) is a male troll. He is empty handed and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, and leather low boots.
sn (ZeeToo) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm and bronze high boots.
Face (Godna) is a male troll. He wields a copper two-handed sword and wears an iron breast plate and iron greaves.
Jakob (frankenfreak) is a male werewolf. He wields a copper maul and a copper maul and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, and copper greaves.

Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow is a 3.05 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 4462.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1464.00 dwarfbucks for Worse Munki.

Lets get it on!

Shortname the moleman takes the lead and charges into the enemy. Turns out 1v4 is a bad idea. ShortName's arm goes flying by Experiment 22. His other hand is bit beyond recognition, then fractured.

See that blue-ish troll blood on the bottom of the gladiators? Face the troll arrives just in time to have his head split wide open by Chaz Steadyfist. The trolls skull is fractured, and he looks a little woozy for a moment, then promptly passes out.

Mongo is tired of having his head chewed on by Strangler Than Fiction, so he gores the stranglers hand which collapses upon itself. Experiment 22, the tigress, sees that her buddy is in trouble and promptly chops off the trolls tusk that just hurt her teammate. SRIRACHA FARTSTORM is constantly bashing the moleman ShortName while ShortName flails wildly with his broken/destroyed arm. Strangler Than Fiction falls to the floor after Mongo rips his arm-muscle apart with his bare hands.

Jakob and Chaz Steadyfist seem to duel back and forth a bit. Jakob bruises Chaz, and Chaz's attacks are turned by armor.

ShortName continues to soak up blows. Lungs are punctured, he is basically pulped for a bit. FARTSTORM enrages the moleman by ringing his head like a bell with his silver hammer. Experiment 22 and FARTSTORM attack Mongo in tandem, and the troll passes out as his foot is nearly severed.

Strangler Than Fiction shakes the prone Mongo's hands with his teeth. FARTSTORM wanders too close to ShortName, and the moleman bites and latches onto the small Elf's left arm. In an impressive "oh god get it off get it off get it off" panic moment, FARTSTORM smashes the molemans ribs into his one remaining lung.

Chaz and Jakob duel to the south, neither gladiator able to get an advantage. Chaz says "screw this" and slams his halberd down onto the unconscious Face's head. Down goes Face. The home team is really kicking rear end here. They have minimal injuries. Well they did. Strangler Than Fiction is shaken back and forth by the moleman's teeth. That rattled him for sure.

Chaz ignores Jakob completely and moves north to help Strangler and Experiment 22 who cannot get through Mongo's helmet. Chaz just takes Mongo's head clean off which proves far easier. Experiment 22 moves to a new opponent and shoves her sword clean through the punching bag moleman ShortName. After a bunch of biting/shaking and Jakob not helping his teammate, Experiment 22 and Chaz chop deeper and deeper into the body of ShortName.

Finally, mercifully, ShortName bleeds to death.

Jakob arrives just in time to fight 3 near-mint gladiators. Strangler, on the left, is basically torn and broken. He begins crawling forward anyway.

How'd that work for you, Jakob? He manages one swing that Experiment 22 dodges, and then Chaz Steadyfist stabs his neck in half. Jakob is paralyzed and falls to the floor. Chaz takes his head an eyeblink later.

Winner: Worse Munki
Killcount:
Chaz Steadyfist: 3.5
Experiment 22: .5

How about those bets? 3:1 ratio on the wrong team...

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 9, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

How about those bets? 3:1 ratio on the wrong team...

Remove the outlier of someone betting large on their own team and it's more like 1.8:1. Nice of Godna to fund the opposition, though! :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Gasp, how could you betray me like this Heavyweight?! Not my 100 dorfbux!

It's okay though, I bet on both sides.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
poor Face. Living up to his namesake, at least.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I think this is the first time Experiment 22 hasn't ended up with limbs lopped off! Looks like this experiment... is getting results.

Sorry.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not dying helps sometimes

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I'm going to go ahead and tell you what you did wrong Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow. That wooden great sword was your lucky charm. As long as you had that you could never lose and you would have made increasingly improbable victories over increasingly well armed foes. Now it is gone and the magic is gone too. With his enemies no longer preoccupied with laughing at Face's weapon choice they were free to chop him in the head.

It's sad.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Indeed it would seem. It'd seem I bought the wrong piece of gear.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

I'm going to go ahead and tell you what you did wrong Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow. That wooden great sword was your lucky charm. As long as you had that you could never lose and you would have made increasingly improbable victories over increasingly well armed foes. Now it is gone and the magic is gone too. With his enemies no longer preoccupied with laughing at Face's weapon choice they were free to chop him in the head.

It's sad.

I think you're right.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm noting that half and half down for Experiment 22's tally, owing to the last hit before SN bled out. Sriracha Fartstorm Returns doesn't improve on their kill count, meaning Albrik is still out in front.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

I'm noting that half and half down for Experiment 22's tally, owing to the last hit before SN bled out. Sriracha Fartstorm Returns doesn't improve on their kill count, meaning Albrik is still out in front.

At the end you can see what kinds of weapons are best for racking up kills. I'd assume slashing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

At the end you can see what kinds of weapons are best for racking up kills. I'd assume slashing.

Well, the primary factor is being skilled enough to be the one doing the killing, but in general, probably the stuff that's capable of inflicting powerful blows. So picks, bigass swords, stuff like that. Heavy warhammers once people start having enough skill to use them right. Possibly spears, too, but that one depends on a bajillion factors.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ramc posted:

Provided the builds stay the same, yes, though we need to factor in physical attacks and wrestling where that earns a kill.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Secret to Albrik's success: get some skills in the weapons you don't use! This will help your fighter know how to defeat these weapon types. Points in your own weapon are very overvalued, as you can learn as you use it during the fight.

Also, leather pants.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Secret to Albrik's success: get some skills in the weapons you don't use! This will help your fighter know how to defeat these weapon types. Points in your own weapon are very overvalued, as you can learn as you use it during the fight.

Also, leather pants.

This advice seems sound.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tomorrow morning. I promise.

Sorry for the delay.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tomorrow morning. I promise.

Sorry for the delay.

Yesss.

:black101:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 3, Fight 1 :siren:

Two Chicks with Dicks, the home team, is on the left side of the arena.
Suck & gently caress Pighead (Dirty Frank) is a female goblin. She wields a silver war hammer and wears no armor.
Bo (Haystack) is a male human. He wields a bronze short sword and a wooden shield and wears a leather cap.
Stumpy (Mygna) is a female dwarf. She wields an iron great axe and wears no armor.
Richard Kyanka (Lorrdernie) is a male dark gnome. He wields a bronze large dagger and wears no armor.

This Bites, the visiting team, is on the right side of the arena.
Knife Toseeu (synthorange) is a female strangler. She wields a copper large dagger and wears no armor.
Sun Tzulander the Philomodel (Keru) is a male elf. He is empty handed and wears a steel cap, a copper mail shirt, a silver breast plate, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Roland Gorchnik (Maarak) is a male human. He wields a copper whip and a copper shield and wears an iron cap, leather armor, an adamantine mail shirt, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Eyeteeth IV (Revenant Threshold) is a male werewolf. He wields a wooden buckler and a wooden buckler and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.

This Bites is a 1.20 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 1968.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1645.00 dwarfbucks for Two Chicks with Dicks.

Sun Tzulander is surprisingly the fastest gladiator and he charges deep into the enemy ranks.

Sun Tzu is rewarded by Bo slashing his foot open, and before he even hits the floor Richard Kyanka stabs his hand to poo poo. Stumpy, channeling his innate dwarven hatred of elven tree huggers, slams his axe deep into Sun Tzu's other arm. Bo realizes the other team isn't even here yet, so he attacks the downed elf again. Off goes an elf foot.

Knife Toseeu finally arrives to help his teammate, but Stumpy casually axes the stranglers head from his shoulders with a swing. poo poo is looking grim for the visiting team.

Roland and Eyeteeth arrive like a pair of hammers. Not real hammers mind you, but those little plastic ones that come in children's toys. Eyeteeth ineffectually swings and is blocked time and again. Roland bruises fat through armor. Bo continues tormenting Sun Tzu for a little bit and finally chops his head off.

Richard Kyanka, the deadly dark gnome, duels with Eyeteeth the massive werewolf on the bottom left of the melee. It should be noted that "duels" is a relative term. I mean, technically Eyeteeth is present, but I'm not sure what the gently caress he was doing. Richard Kyanka stabs the werewolf in the paw, fracturing bone and bringing Eyeteeth to the ground.

Visiting team has 1 full strength gladiator, the home team has 4.

Bo and Stumpy prove to be ridiculously deadly. Their tandem attacks send Roland to the floor with a bum foot, and then Stumpy takes the entire drat leg off. Eyeteeth, fighting from the ground, is useless.

Roland is the new punching bag. The home team can't get through this adamantine shirt, but his extremities are easily torn to shreds. No, scratch that. Stumpy hacks Rolands chest wide open, tearing his lung. Bo takes his left hand off. Eyeteeth misses everyone even though they aren't even looking at him.

Stumpy takes Rolands head off. Then the opposing team looks at the pitiful werewolf. Suck and gently caress has a scratch on her foot. Stumpy has a bruised arm. Other than that the home team is at 100% fighting strength.

Suck and gently caress fractures Eyeteeths arm, then breaks his spine. Bo stabs his foot in half. Richard Kyanka breaks his other foot with his sword. Suck and gently caress breaks his other arm and then a leg. 10 more attacks to the werewolfs head by the entire opposing team finally breaks his skull.

Winners: Chicks with Two Dicks
Kill Count: Stumpy: 2
Suck and gently caress: 1
Bo: 1

That was a savage beating. The entire team of This Bites should have to run laps or something. We are all worse for having watch how they fought.

Combat Log

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The Aristocrats!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Every division so far has a pathetic whipping boy team. Lightly Whipped, A furry, farmer and two cows and A Tarantino Film have only managed one kill each in their humiliating defeats. This Bites haven't even achieved that. Not one enemy has fallen to them.

The last match of this round will see the Plump Helmets try to join the Subterranean Animists on three wins out of three. If they achieve a flawless victory, they get a double digit kill difference as well. Their opponents are A Tarantino Film. Will the whipping boys ascend to the ranks of the adequate, or will we see a new front runner stride forth?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
At least Eyeteeth survived longer than everyone else, if that's anything to be proud of.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Decoy Badger posted:

At least Eyeteeth survived longer than everyone else, if that's anything to be proud of.

We worked up quite a sweat bashing his head in, you should be proud.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
My gladiator once again living up to her name and my betting record recovered after the disastrous second round. Good times.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Looking at my fighter's performance so far, apparently not having a weapon has a negative impact on ability to kill
Who'da thunk

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

dasmause posted:

Looking at my fighter's performance so far, apparently not having a weapon has a negative impact on ability to kill
Who'da thunk

Not Panty Thief, that's for sure. :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Eventually, The Gorch will get his shot to wail on an elf with a heavy chain. Until then, things look grim.