Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SunAndSpring posted:

Plutonis did nothing wrong.

This is true with the caveat that what he says is some weird combination of ironic and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Ferrinus posted:

IIRC the Oatmeal guy is a blight on the world and must needs be slain for the sake of humanity.

He did help save Wardenclyffe...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ferrinus posted:

IIRC the Oatmeal guy is a blight on the world and must needs be slain for the sake of humanity.

What'd he do to make people so angry, aside from release a mediocre-at-best card game?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you! Now the wheels are turning and I'm thinking about doing something like finishing a whole adventure module in one go.
I have Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil on pdf. :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have questions about Feng Shui 2, specifically how mooks work. I know they go down in 1 hit, but it seems like 12 mooks (for a 4-person party) is ridiculous, because that means they have to spend (minimum) 36 shot taking them all out, unless there's some sort of rollover damage that takes out multiple mooks in a single hit or something. It also incentivizes the party to straight-up ignore them, because they can't hit and deal damage, nor can they be taken out in a reasonable timeframe while the Rivals and Bosses are attacking.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

What'd he do to make people so angry, aside from release a mediocre-at-best card game?

I think part of it has do with with his lowest common denominator-style humour and using his knowledge of search engine optimization to make sure someone you know posts his comics on your social media.

Personally I find his work ugly, but iirc he bought a house for his sister and her family so that's cool. I mean it's easy when you get rich off making crude art of bear sharks or whatever the gently caress, but it's still a nice gesture.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Everblight posted:

I have questions about Feng Shui 2, specifically how mooks work. I know they go down in 1 hit, but it seems like 12 mooks (for a 4-person party) is ridiculous, because that means they have to spend (minimum) 36 shot taking them all out, unless there's some sort of rollover damage that takes out multiple mooks in a single hit or something. It also incentivizes the party to straight-up ignore them, because they can't hit and deal damage, nor can they be taken out in a reasonable timeframe while the Rivals and Bosses are attacking.

You're looking for 'hitting multiple opponents' on page 103. Basically, you can attack more than one mook at a time by subtracting from your attack value (or boosting their defence of 13) by 1 for every extra target, so someone with an AV of 15 in their main attack can usually put down 3 mooks per shot.

I kind of agree that mooks could do with an attack boost though. Even bumping them up to AV 9 would make them hit often enough to be an actual threat.

E: There are also rival and boss schticks that make use of mooks. Ablative Minion, T Is For Target, etc.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 10, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

potatocubed posted:

You're looking for 'hitting multiple opponents' on page 103. Basically, you can attack more than one mook at a time by subtracting from your attack value (or boosting their defence of 13) by 1 for every extra target, so someone with an AV of 15 in their main attack can usually put down 3 mooks per shot.

I kind of agree that mooks could do with an attack boost though. Even bumping them up to AV 9 would make them hit often enough to be an actual threat.

I let mooks combine attacks against players as well, to make them a threat.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Weirdo posted:

I think part of it has do with with his lowest common denominator-style humour and using his knowledge of search engine optimization to make sure someone you know posts his comics on your social media.

Personally I find his work ugly, but iirc he bought a house for his sister and her family so that's cool. I mean it's easy when you get rich off making crude art of bear sharks or whatever the gently caress, but it's still a nice gesture.
He also did a lot of fundraising for that Tesla museum, which is kinda cool.

Really, I can't fault the guy for what he does. If I could make 6 figures off my lovely doodles and the occasional weird story you bet your rear end I would.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

potatocubed posted:

Even bumping them up to AV 9 would make them hit often enough to be an actual threat.

Do NOT listen to this person. This is a great way to gently caress up your game badly. They are an actual threat as written. I've had them do 27 damage in one attack. I've had them do 15 damage on a shot after toughness modifiers enough to make the players gulp when their shots come up. They are a nasty little gutpunch that shows up occasionally and fodder 90% of the time. This is as it is intended.

AV9 will make them hit more, gently caress up the balance of the game and slant the field toward high-toughness characters. Don't do this.

It's also against the spirit of the game. They are mooks. They are not supposed to be a consistent threat toward the characters.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Really, I can't fault the guy for what he does. If I could make 6 figures off my lovely doodles and the occasional weird story you bet your rear end I would.

I know, right? That would sure beat working...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Philanthrophy is just capitalism's PR wing. We should definitely still kill The Oatmeal guy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

Philanthrophy is just capitalism's PR wing. We should definitely still kill The Oatmeal guy.

This.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is the worst Kittens in a Blender, cause I found that significantly more strategic than Exploding Kittens?

Kittens in a Blender is the best/worst game I've ever bought. The art is good, the gameplay is surprisingly strategic for what I expected to be a throwaway joke party game, and the degree of "Why am I playing this? Oh god the kittens!" that most people experience is way too fun for everyone involved.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, I'm running a game for a few friends who really want to try out the hobby. It's kind of awesome, but we hit some hiccups like the fact they bought the D&D 5e player's handbook and really wanted to use it so I felt obligated to use that system, a system I'm not really familiar with so I have to learn it. Or the fact that they really want to play out some archaic elements. Like, I can deal with running XP, but, like, I had to explain, when I asked what kind of game they wanted, that we weren't going to roll all the time for everything because that just bogs thing down (one player really wanted that to increase risk and randomness, an effect that can be achieved through better means). Also, they really wanted to start at level 1 which, in 5e, really makes it hard to send something at them that won't slaughter them.

Also, running first timers through chargen can be a little tiring since they have no shared nomenclature and background to jump off of. It shows how lovely I am at explaining things. I kind of love how one of them wrote their alignment as "The healing one." Since it was the cleric player, I think he mixed up domains and alignment.

The worst thing, though, is that the guy who whipped all the players into this really likes the continuity of character aspect of D&D and the ability to take the character from this campaign on to future games. He's really gung-ho about that... but, as we know, that doesn't really happen anymore so he's going to get a bit deflated. I told him that the "table-to-table" character thing kind of died out in the 80s, but he still seems to think that's a thing and he's really excited about it. Kind of makes me feel bad.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Covok posted:

So, I'm running a game for a few friends who really want to try out the hobby. It's kind of awesome, but we hit some hiccups like the fact they bought the D&D 5e player's handbook and really wanted to use it so I felt obligated to use that system, a system I'm not really familiar with so I have to learn it.

This is the point where I would tell them "you can ask me to show you how this hobby works, or you can roll with your own preconceptions of how this hobby works, but you don't get to do both".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

inklesspen posted:

This is the point where I would tell them "you can ask me to show you how this hobby works, or you can roll with your own preconceptions of how this hobby works, but you don't get to do both".
Yeah I have to echo this, especially for your friend who thinks that he's gonna take his character on tour through several different groups. If you don't nip it in the bud now, they're only gonna be more disappointed later.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah I have to echo this, especially for your friend who thinks that he's gonna take his character on tour through several different groups. If you don't nip it in the bud now, they're only gonna be more disappointed later.

I did tell him that before. Maybe I should explain it again, but it's not as if I haven't said anything. Or, for that matter, blatantly told him so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I told him again. He said he knows. He just wants to have some stories of characters. I guess he got he message the first time, but just meant he wanted to be able to tell other people cool stories later on of the game. Which is cool. Though, I've never heard of having that as their explicit goal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Covok posted:

I told him again. He said he knows. He just wants to have some stories of characters. I guess he got he message the first time, but just meant he wanted to be able to tell other people cool stories later on of the game. Which is cool. Though, I've never heard of having that as their explicit goal.

that's like, every irritating player's goal, they're just never honest enough to say it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So is there a youtube channel for seeing cool tabletop games in action which feature as much tactful editing as Tabletop, but with 99% less Wil Wheaton? I love the games that get played and love to see the interactions but Wil is in every single episode and his exuberance at being annoying is really, really loving grating.

I just don't want to watch people play games for a solid 2 and a half hours to finish what could ostensibly be wrapped up in a half hour long video, so I can see what the game is like and gauge whether or not I'd like to put it on a wishlist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Watch It Played leans more towards tutorials, but is still a pretty enjoyable watch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

death .cab for qt posted:

So is there a youtube channel for seeing cool tabletop games in action which feature as much tactful editing as Tabletop, but with 99% less Wil Wheaton? I love the games that get played and love to see the interactions but Wil is in every single episode and his exuberance at being annoying is really, really loving grating.

I just don't want to watch people play games for a solid 2 and a half hours to finish what could ostensibly be wrapped up in a half hour long video, so I can see what the game is like and gauge whether or not I'd like to put it on a wishlist.

Michael Wissner is pretty good at showing off an entire game in an abbreviated fashion, though he just plays through things solo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Countblanc posted:

that's like, every irritating player's goal, they're just never honest enough to say it.

I don't think that is his intent. He just wants to have a similar experience to the one his dad told him about.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just finished watching an episode of Tabletop that I actually wished was twice as long, so I guess that means open this up for everybody and anything that shows off board games with a funny group playing interesting games? I'm already following The T's TableTop SimulaTor thread, but anything with interesting people playing normally tabletop games (leaning away from hard RP games in D&D fashion, leaning more toward general tabletop games that are open for easy play) is A-OK.

I ask because I currently lead a STEM club at a school and am looking for interesting/fun games to play with the kids because at least half are super interested in playing tabletop games but none can currently buy most of these, so because I already own a good standard set (Catan, Betrayal, Exploding Kittens, Gloom, Ticket to Ride, etc.) I'm looking for more niche games that fill in one-shot hour-long timeframes for a sort-of school-sponsored tabletop club at the school. It's basically just me bringing in games for 7-12 graders to play who aren't in sports/other EC's to have a group where the loners and "losers" can realize "hey, socializing is actually fun, I should make friends in school" and play some fun games.

So for the sake of not flooding this thread with various suggestions, if you have cool games that fit the bill, you can PM me those, but if you know of some decent youtube channels which show off games and are entertaining (doesn't have to be school/work/kid appropriate, I'm just gonna watch and see what might be interesting) then those would also work pretty well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's nothing really stopping your friend from bringing their character from one "campaign" to the next in the sense of "we did Phandelver from 1 to 5, and now we're doing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and I've reworked the first couple of chapters to start at level 4ish until it climbs to the appropriate level/challenge range"

It's if he means that more literally as in bringing the same character to different playing groups that's somewhat less feasible.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

death .cab for qt posted:

I just finished watching an episode of Tabletop that I actually wished was twice as long, so I guess that means open this up for everybody and anything that shows off board games with a funny group playing interesting games? I'm already following The T's TableTop SimulaTor thread, but anything with interesting people playing normally tabletop games (leaning away from hard RP games in D&D fashion, leaning more toward general tabletop games that are open for easy play) is A-OK.

I ask because I currently lead a STEM club at a school and am looking for interesting/fun games to play with the kids because at least half are super interested in playing tabletop games but none can currently buy most of these, so because I already own a good standard set (Catan, Betrayal, Exploding Kittens, Gloom, Ticket to Ride, etc.) I'm looking for more niche games that fill in one-shot hour-long timeframes for a sort-of school-sponsored tabletop club at the school. It's basically just me bringing in games for 7-12 graders to play who aren't in sports/other EC's to have a group where the loners and "losers" can realize "hey, socializing is actually fun, I should make friends in school" and play some fun games.

So for the sake of not flooding this thread with various suggestions, if you have cool games that fit the bill, you can PM me those, but if you know of some decent youtube channels which show off games and are entertaining (doesn't have to be school/work/kid appropriate, I'm just gonna watch and see what might be interesting) then those would also work pretty well.

Post this question in the board game thread.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I was in a Runequest game at a meetup yesterday and really dug it. Is there a thread for that stuff so I can get some more information?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
There's a Glorantha thread; try there?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do NOT listen to this person. This is a great way to gently caress up your game badly. They are an actual threat as written. I've had them do 27 damage in one attack. I've had them do 15 damage on a shot after toughness modifiers enough to make the players gulp when their shots come up. They are a nasty little gutpunch that shows up occasionally and fodder 90% of the time. This is as it is intended.

AV9 will make them hit more, gently caress up the balance of the game and slant the field toward high-toughness characters. Don't do this.

It's also against the spirit of the game. They are mooks. They are not supposed to be a consistent threat toward the characters.
A few days late to this party, but this is right. Mooks are plenty threatening, as written, due to their huge numbers.

Don't mess with it until you try it, for real. Watch out for mooks with high damage, too - they will slaughter the party.

Every Feng shui group should have someone able to deal with mooks. Carnival of Carnage is the go-to shtick here.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
EDIT: Misread the previous post.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I've played it. Setting anything about the art or whether you hate the guy who makes The Oatmeal aside or not, it's a game with virtually zero depth and no real replayability. The micro-light/party game market isn't really lacking in quality options so it doesn't really fill a niche in need of filling either. Somehow it isn't the single worst kitten-themed card game I've ever played though, unfortunately.

IDK, I tried it yesterday and it seemed fine.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hello November chat. I'm looking for a couple things: Indiana Jones / Tomb Raider / Uncharted-style premade adventures to run for a modern pulp fantasy kind of game. Just something simple I can run for a friend that involves puzzles, monsters, ancient magic, archaeology rivals, that sort of thing. I'm sure there's a ton of these types of adventures published somewhere, but I don't know where to look. System doesn't matter much to me.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was able to get a ticket to Dice Tower Con. :cool:

Who else is going? I've never been before but I also live in Orlando so it's not like I have an excuse not to go since Megacon is terrible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In Burning Wheel, when they list some traits as men only, do they mean sex or stock? Regardless, I'd run it as a stock restriction, not a sex restriction, but I'm curious at the intent. The book seems to use human and men interchangeably, as is common in the English language, but some traits use clear sex associated terminology within their description. All signs point to it as a stock restriction, but the books reverence for emulating the medieval era has me a bit worried, even with the section encouraging female characters to not feel restricted by the sexist expectations and to defy them if they see fit.

Anyone happen to know? 99.9% sure it's a stock restriction, but this hobby's poor nature introduced more than a little doubt.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

In Burning Wheel, when they list some traits as men only, do they mean sex or stock? Regardless, I'd run it as a stock restriction, not a sex restriction, but I'm curious at the intent. The book seems to use human and men interchangeably, as is common in the English language, but some traits use clear sex associated terminology within their description. All signs point to it as a stock restriction, but the books reverence for emulating the medieval era has me a bit worried, even with the section encouraging female characters to not feel restricted by the sexist expectations and to defy them if they see fit.

Anyone happen to know? 99.9% sure it's a stock restriction, but this hobby's poor nature introduced more than a little doubt.

Almost 100% certain it's limiting things to stock. Not completely 100%, because this is the book with the Ganymede lifepath and associated Catamite trait (:doh:), but I'm pretty sure those traits aren't gender-specific.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Almost 100% certain it's limiting things to stock. Not completely 100%, because this is the book with the Ganymede lifepath and associated Catamite trait (:doh:), but I'm pretty sure those traits aren't gender-specific.

I know Calamite is an old term for a homosexual (Possibly offensive. I don't know. Literally, never heard it before this book), but what's a Ganymede, exactly?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Covok posted:

I know Calamite is an old term for a homosexual (Possibly offensive. I don't know. Literally, never heard it before this book), but what's a Ganymede, exactly?

Well calamite was the younger partner in a pedophilic homosexual relationship. Though I don't know if that's the context.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

According to Luke Crane it's a self-applied medieval term for homosexuals, but I'm not sure of the historical basis of that. It seemed a strange thing to include, given that the game otherwise makes few assumptions about human society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Ganymede was a very attractive prince of Troy, whom Zeus abducted to serve as a cup-bearer in Olympus. The connotations write themselves. (It is a pretty :doh: inclusion in a fantasy RPG though.)

• Locked thread