Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's November, and that means it's almost Christmas! What are your favorite holiday gaming traditions? Will you be gaming with your friends and family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If my puppy dog eyes still work now that I am the third youngest member of the family, I might convince my relatives to play some board games once I go back home in December.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

If my puppy dog eyes still work now that I am the third youngest member of the family, I might convince my relatives to play some board games once I go back home in December.
Cosmic Encounter seems like it would be a good family game. Simple games with a lot of negotiation/politics would be fun.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I don't currently have any holiday gaming traditions but I'd love to start some! I could probably convince my siblings to try a game or two.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Good board games I will recommend for families whose members maybe aren't as nerdy as you:

-Codenames, recently released and awaiting a reprint. A game set up between two teams, each with a Spymaster attempting to guide his other team members into choosing the correct words on a 5x5 grid to reveal their team's agents while avoiding the other team's, innocent bystanders, and the Assassin...but they can only give out clues comprised of a single word (with some restrictions) and a number indicating how many words on the board that word relates to. Quick playing and entertaining either sober or drunk, plays up to 8 or 10.

-Mysterium, similar in some respects to Codenames in that someone is giving out vague information to try and steer people towards answers, only this time it's fully cooperative. One player takes the role of a spirit trying to impart upon the other players details concerning their murder, but the only way they have to steer them towards the right people, places, and murder weapons are a deck of tarot-sized cards with abstract, dreamlike paintings on them. If the spirit can ultimately steer everyone towards the murderer by the end of seven rounds then they all win. Plays up to 7, one spirit and the rest playing as mediums.

-Skull is poker distilled to its most basic form. You have a stack of four coaster-sized discs, three have flowers and one has a skull. Everyone antes a single disc of their choice, then go around the table either laying new discs onto their current ones one at a time or starting off bidding how many discs they'll attempt to flip without hitting a skull. The catch is that when you win the bid you have to begin with up to all of your own discs first, so if you laid a skull down yourself then you just shot yourself in the foot. Every time you hit a skull you lose one disc, lose all four and you're out. If you successfully win and complete two bids without hitting any skulls then you win the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Dracula Dossier available in PDF? I tried looking in Pelgrane's site but I just got confused.

I need it for ... reasons

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the Dracula Dossier available in PDF? I tried looking in Pelgrane's site but I just got confused.

It should be. It went out to backers a few weeks ago or so, if it's not up for sale yet then it should be soon.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

One month closer to blades in the dark being done! That and getting a new set of dice as a christmas present, gotta find a real cool one somewhere online someone can order for me.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fenarisk posted:

One month closer to blades in the dark being done! That and getting a new set of dice as a chiestmas present, gotta find a real cool one somewhere online someone can order for me.

I'd be a little surprised if it's done in time for Christmas. Do you have a birthday early in the year?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I wish my vampire/wulin group wasn't so loving flaky. :sigh: the GM is in the navy, so his schedule in continually the dumbest, most horrid thing imaginable; one player has a terrible sleep schedule and so she misses sessions from being randomly asleep, and another player has always seems to have something come up with his RL circle where he absolutely has to drive one of them somewhere or pick them up or something, so he shows up about half the time and half of that he's an hour+ late.

I just want a group of relatively sane people who can show up to an IRC channel at the same time every week and pay attention for a few hours, I didn't think that was a lot to ask? :(

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Christmas Chat- I can't wait for Secret Santa this year. I'm going to find something truly terrifying for goons :japan:

Sadly, I have no holiday gaming traditions. :smith:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm very (notreally) sad that we skipped thanksgiving, I know a lot of y'all are foreign communists but thanksgiving is the most D&D of holidays where we celebrate invading a land and taking all the natives poo poo and pretending it was mutual.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Elfgames posted:

I'm very (notreally) sad that we skipped thanksgiving, I know a lot of y'all are foreign communists but thanksgiving is the most D&D of holidays where we celebrate invading a land and taking all the natives poo poo and pretending it was mutual.

I agree it's a fantastic holiday and you should be forced to eat turkey at gunpoint you filthy commie. Yams are good. Mmmmm.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

I agree it's a fantastic holiday and you should be forced to eat turkey at gunpoint you filthy commie. Yams are good. Mmmmm.
If you don't like cranberry sauce you're basically Hitler. :colbert:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ain't nothing wrong with a turkey dinner, but gently caress thanksgiving.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't really care for the decadent west

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

If you don't like cranberry sauce you're basically Hitler. :colbert:

Um. Well. :ohdear:

It's ok I guess. :godwinning:

Anyway. Gaaaaaaaaaaaames.

There is this game Ultimum that I stumbled across. It is a far future, optimistic post-apocalyptic scifi game.

Although there is the ruins of two alien empires that invaded earth to explore and scavenging to do; the humans and the crocodile-men, ape-men, robot-men, wolf-bear-men (yes you read that right), elf-men, energy-men, and sort of dwarf-men all interact in a mostly harmonious fashion.

This isn't fallout. To me the tone is more survival and exploration of a vaguely familiar world, rather than say an colony planet that is alien to all the players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWrTc0d54E

The tone of the beta rulebook is very much "Heroic, gently caress Yeah!" and it is rather endearing. :allears:

For example:

They had a kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409548667/ultimum

The free beta rules (139 pages), character sheet and adventure are here:

http://www.ultimumrpg.com/downloads.html

The other major thrust of Ultimum is "online support". This is suppose to include smartphone app and a computer program of the Ultimum rules.

From the website:

quote:

Concept

Ultimum is a tabletop Role-Playing Game that is built around a dramatic, science fiction story about races and peoples that are all learning how to live together in the face of survival. The setting is Earth in the far future. The continents have collided and created Pangea Ultima. New sentient species, both alien and terrestrial now populate the Earth and humanity has just returned. There are galaxy spanning threats to overcome, but for now, we need to regroup.

In Ultimum, the players determine the course of the story. In kitchens, living rooms and gaming stores all over the world, players will be playing out their Ultimum sessions from week to week. Once they're finished, they'll upload their progress to the Ultimum website. The developers will organize and trend the player data and start building the future storyline from there.

The other novel feature of Ultimum is the acquisition of gear. Evidently money doesn't exist.* Every player has their own personal fabricator called a RFD. This fabricator scans the local area and teleports all the useful minerals from the area into its reserves. So populated areas have been "all mined out" and this is to foment exploration I guess? If you want to make a piece of gear like a SMG or medical thing you construct it based on what materials you have and you also roll randomly for quirks and features on a series of tables. At least that's the impression I'm getting from a very quick skim.

It feels very video game like but that is not necessarily a bad thing in this case.

*Money doesn't exist but you can barter mineral for goods and services so yes a common currency does essentially exist.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 2, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Um. Well. :ohdear:

It's ok I guess. :godwinning:

Anyway. Gaaaaaaaaaaaames.

There is this game Ultimum that I stumbled across. It is a far future, optimistic post-apocalyptic scifi game.

Although there is the ruins of two alien empires that invaded earth to explore and scavenging to do; the humans and the crocodile-men, ape-men, robot-men, wolf-bear-men (yes you read that right), elf-men, energy-men, and sort of dwarf-men all interact in a mostly harmonious fashion.

This isn't fallout. To me the tone is more survival and exploration of a vaguely familiar world, rather than say an colony planet that is alien to all the players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWrTc0d54E

The tone of the beta rulebook is very much "Heroic, gently caress Yeah!" and it is rather endearing. :allears:

For example:

They had a kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409548667/ultimum

The free beta rules (139 pages), character sheet and adventure are here:

http://www.ultimumrpg.com/downloads.html

The other major thrust of Ultimum is "online support". This is suppost to include smartphone app and a computer program of the Ultimum rules.

From the website:

That does look pretty neat actually

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

We do eat turkey, only we do it at Christmas, like normal people. Capitalist pigs eating turkey early is what got America into the state it's in. :v:

I have no holiday gaming traditions, because most of my players spend that time with their families and it's a university city so those families are between two hundred and five thousand miles away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My brother just got really big into boardgames, having bought Once Upon a Time, Coup, Love Letter, and Sheriff of Nottingham within the span of about a month.

So while we don't have any holiday gaming traditions yet, we're definitely trying to get one started.

For me, I think I'll need to get some RPGs in dead-tree form because it's easier to pitch a spontaneous "let's do that" with a physical book than with a PDF. If only international shipping wasn't so darned expensive.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ordering it in hardback gets you the PDFs as well, but Pelgrane typically wait a few weeks after releasing a physical book before making it available to buy as PDF only.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I've been bringing light board games the last few years. Acquire, Love Letter and Ticket to Ride have been popular.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
As a somewhat secret santa I bought Strike!, so Jimbo, those 15 bux were from me to you.

On a related note: it hasn't cured neither cancer nor AIDS, and its blowjobs are adequate at best (Strike! is awesome)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Chances are I'll just be playing Scrabble, Love Letter, and/or Set with the family

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rasamune posted:

Chances are I'll just be playing Scrabble, Love Letter, and/or Set with the family
I got Set banned from a board game club because I was too good at it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I got Set banned from a board game club because I was too good at it.

Same, but from the Sucking Men's Off club.

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Same, but from the Sucking Men's Off club.

Well, yeah, a board game would be too distracting, you have too much of an agenda to deal with that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's a Bundle of Holding for The Esoterrorists up. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Esoterrorists

It's not the best Gumshoe game (That'd be Night's Black Agents or Trail of Cthulhu, depending on which aesthetic you prefer) but it is a Good Game and a good introduction to that system. The Esoterror Summoning Guide and The Book of Unremitting Horror in particular are good reads, and are basically system-agnostic.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

what the poo poo is a "bundle of tentacles"

also clearly the best festive holiday party game is russian roulette fiasco Elf Charades

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ningyou posted:

what the poo poo is a "bundle of tentacles"

It's my latest work, for sale next month on Comiket 89, don't miss it!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's a Bundle of Holding for The Esoterrorists up. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Esoterrorists

It's not the best Gumshoe game (That'd be Night's Black Agents or Trail of Cthulhu, depending on which aesthetic you prefer) but it is a Good Game and a good introduction to that system. The Esoterror Summoning Guide and The Book of Unremitting Horror in particular are good reads, and are basically system-agnostic.

I used to be a pretty big fan of Gumshoe, but Pelgrane really hosed me over with Night's Black Agents, and I've never had a chance to play it. I was one of their backers, and I moved while the book was still in production. I sent an email attempting to change the address associated with my order, and got told they wouldn't change anything until they were ready to send things out and only contact them then. Which was annoying, but whatever, I waited and they sent out an email asking for address changes. I sent the address change again, and that should have been the end of it but nope, they never changed the address. I got no response from them and was pretty much ignored, while my book ended up sent to a different place. I was never able to get it, Royal Mail was of absolutely no help, and I was ignored by Pelgrane.

I basically refuse to give Pelgrane any money at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Tangled Cultural Roots of Dungeons and Dragons

It's a review of Michael Wittwer's Empire of Imagination, which is a biography of Gary Gygax. Everything I've heard and read of the book itself makes it sound like a heavily dramatized and embellished work, but there are some interesting snippets in this article itself:

quote:

U.S. Army intelligence sent two agents to infiltrate Gygax’s war-gaming circle in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, in the nineteen-seventies, believing that the group’s tabletop reënactments with miniature figures might be training sessions for would-be anti-government insurgents. Finding Gygax and his cohort to be harmless, they asked to join.

quote:

What was largely unknown or omitted from this brouhaha is that Gygax was an intermittently observant Jehovah’s Witness. This startling fact crops up about halfway through Witwer’s biography, when he notes that Gygax’s “controversial” game, along with his smoking and drinking, had led to a parting of the ways with the local congregation. Up until that point, the matter of Gygax’s faith had gone unmentioned in the biography, and it is barely discussed thereafter. (The book’s index does not have an entry for “Jehovah’s Witness” or “Gygax, Gary—religious beliefs.”) Given the furor that D. & D. caused, the absence of a deeper analysis of Gygax’s faith is a glaring omission. In a recent interview with Tobias Carroll, Witwer acknowledged that Gygax “was a practicing Jehovah’s Witness. He would go door-to-door and he would give out pamphlets. He was pretty outspoken about it, as a matter of fact.” The reason for almost completely excluding it from the biography, Witwer says, is that “I couldn’t find it [as] a huge driving force in his life.…I didn’t want to be too heavy-handed with that, because I’m not clear that, especially with his gaming work and even his home life, how big a factor that was on a day-to-day basis. But I do know he was practicing.”

Gygax was enough of a believer in the sect’s dogma to post a note in the International Federation of Wargaming Monthly informing its readers that he did not celebrate Christmas because the Bible commands “that the followers of Jesus refrain from having anything to do with pagan religious celebrations.” This from a man whose company would go on to publish books called “Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes” and “Deities and Demigods,” in which beings from numerous pagan religions were codified for inclusion in Dungeons & Dragons.

quote:

Likewise, there are only passing mentions of Gygax’s years of work as an insurance underwriter. But one needs only to browse the Advanced D. & D. “Player’s Handbook” or the “Dungeon Master’s Guide” to see how similar the books’ numerous charts are to actuarial tables.
This in particular stood out to me for putting context as to why D&D was designed with such a "realistic" bent to its "milieu", such as using stat requirements combined with stat rolls to generate an expected distribution of "how many Paladins per thousand PCs", which would then be emulated by games where you need to randomly roll for your race and you might only have a 1 in 100 chance of being an elf.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

This in particular stood out to me for putting context as to why D&D was designed with such a "realistic" bent to its "milieu", such as using stat requirements combined with stat rolls to generate an expected distribution of "how many Paladins per thousand PCs", which would then be emulated by games where you need to randomly roll for your race and you might only have a 1 in 100 chance of being an elf.
That also helps explain the way that D&D (and a lot of early RPGs that cargo-culted in its wake) had really elaborate tables for generating your height and weigh.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I ran a session of Masks on Sunday, playing fast-and-loose with the Halcyon City canon (that is, I haven't bothered looking at it, except when my players bring it up because they liked something they read). So I have a planetary elemental Nova who has more in common with the Delinquent playbook than she'd like to admit, Legacy with the "wrong" powerset (she inherited from her supervillain father instead of her superhero mother, which isn't good PR), and vlogger Outsider who likes to pretend she understands Earth culture less than she actually does, and I had "Captain Halcyon" hook them up with the old mothballed base he and his friends used when they were the Junior Freedom League back in the 80s.

For their first mission, I sent them up against a teenage supervillain "Mister Mesmer", who had really discount-rate mind control, and they handily defeated him. But he turned out to have diplomatic immunity (son of the Ruritanian ambassador) so all that happened was he got deported. (Obviously he is going to come back later, with much stronger powers, in the season finale.)

Next mission, I'm thinking of having the Junior Freedom League's "Danger Room" having woken up due to a Y2K bug and gotten very angry at being neglected for 15 years, so it harasses the team by meddling with their electronic records (school schedules, bank accounts, etc) and then traps them in the Danger Room.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

inklesspen posted:

I ran a session of Masks on Sunday, playing fast-and-loose with the Halcyon City canon (that is, I haven't bothered looking at it, except when my players bring it up because they liked something they read). So I have a planetary elemental Nova who has more in common with the Delinquent playbook than she'd like to admit, Legacy with the "wrong" powerset (she inherited from her supervillain father instead of her superhero mother, which isn't good PR), and vlogger Outsider who likes to pretend she understands Earth culture less than she actually does, and I had "Captain Halcyon" hook them up with the old mothballed base he and his friends used when they were the Junior Freedom League back in the 80s.

For their first mission, I sent them up against a teenage supervillain "Mister Mesmer", who had really discount-rate mind control, and they handily defeated him. But he turned out to have diplomatic immunity (son of the Ruritanian ambassador) so all that happened was he got deported. (Obviously he is going to come back later, with much stronger powers, in the season finale.)

Next mission, I'm thinking of having the Junior Freedom League's "Danger Room" having woken up due to a Y2K bug and gotten very angry at being neglected for 15 years, so it harasses the team by meddling with their electronic records (school schedules, bank accounts, etc) and then traps them in the Danger Room.

A good game.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

On Twitter Pelgrane said that the PDF goes on sale on the 9th.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's the TRPG where I can have such a variety of skills?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What's the TRPG where I can have such a variety of skills?

Promised Sands springs to mind.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

How often did you and the group stumble over "Mister Mesmer"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This looks cool so I'm posting it here as well as the kickstarter.

quote:

Editions Icare is proud to present a French role playing game with a truly original theme, already loved by players for the quality of its writing and its illustrations, now in English language for the first time ever. This funding campaign aims to back the professional translation of the work, and its distribution in the USA and the United Kingdom. Our publishing company, now eight years old, is specialized in publishing independent role-playing games with strong themes. We would therefore like to invite you to discover Würm, a role playing game that takes place at the very origins of humanity, which will surely strike a chord with both new and experienced players alike.

Humanity before history began, thirty five thousand years ago, in the middle of an ice age…

Link to Kickstarter Campaign

When you play Würm, it will be up to you to imagine what life was like for our ancestors, and give YOUR OWN vision of this time before time. During your adventures, whether simply surviving or going on perilous hunts or legendary quests, your characters will gain strength, wisdom and prestige by exploring unknown territories, daring to enter the darkness of mysterious caves, seeking out the powers of ancient spirits, or challenging the creatures of the night, the ice and the fire…

All the rules you need to play Würm are included in the core rulebook, detailed over nine chapters. These rules were designed to be simple and clear. For the most part, they only require a few 6-sided dice. Most of all, they were designed to be well adapted to the atmosphere of the Stone Age. For example, to develop the characters, you won’t need skills and stats, but a number of Strengths and Weaknesses that are connected to specific totems. Additionally, Talents and Secret techniques represent the abilities that a character will have to learn, such as painting, shamanism or certain combat techniques.

The game rules have been developed to be as close as possible to established archeological sources, carefully relaying what we know of the technical knowledge, the environment and part of the culture of our ancestors. However, the world of Würm also leaves room for a touch of fantasy and adventure: you will therefore find rules that allow you to play with the real powers of totem spirits, as well as a whole range of fantastical creatures living along side the mammoths and the cave bears, such as fire spirits, witches and glacier giants…

To let you dive right into the prehistoric adventure of the world of Würm, the core rulebook ends with four introduction scenarios, each one providing a specific atmosphere, such as adventure, investigation, melancholy, or humor. One scenario is especially designed for the initiation of younger players!

So prepare your flint or ivory-tipped spears, and make sure your clan and your totem spirits are behind you. The adventure begins the second you step outside your camp…Editions Icare is proud to present a French role playing game with a truly original theme, already loved by players for the quality of its writing and its illustrations, now in English language for the first time ever. This funding campaign aims to back the professional translation of the work, and its distribution in the USA and the United Kingdom. Our publishing company, now eight years old, is specialized in publishing independent role-playing games with strong themes. We would therefore like to invite you to discover Würm, a role playing game that takes place at the very origins of humanity, which will surely strike a chord with both new and experienced players alike. Humanity before history began, thirty five thousand years ago, in the middle of an ice age… In this long-forgotten time, many powerful creatures roamed far and wide over a vast territory covered in steppes and taiga, reaching from the white mountains to the raging sea: mammoths, aurochs, bison, giant deer, cave bears and cave lions. Among these huge creatures, two species of humans live in small communities of hunter-gatherers: the robust Bear Men (Neanderthals) and the taller Long Men (Cro-Magnon, or Cavemen).

All the rules you need to play Würm are included in the core rulebook, detailed over nine chapters. These rules were designed to be simple and clear. For the most part, they only require a few 6-sided dice. Most of all, they were designed to be well adapted to the atmosphere of the Stone Age. For example, to develop the characters, you won’t need skills and stats, but a number of Strengths and Weaknesses that are connected to specific totems. Additionally, Talents and Secret techniques represent the abilities that a character will have to learn, such as painting, shamanism or certain combat techniques. The game rules have been developed to be as close as possible to established archeological sources, carefully relaying what we know of the technical knowledge, the environment and part of the culture of our ancestors. However, the world of Würm also leaves room for a touch of fantasy and adventure: you will therefore find rules that allow you to play with the real powers of totem spirits, as well as a whole range of fantastical creatures living along side the mammoths and the cave bears, such as fire spirits, witches and glacier giants… To let you dive right into the prehistoric adventure of the world of Würm, the core rulebook ends with four introduction scenarios, each one providing a specific atmosphere, such as adventure, investigation, melancholy, or humor. One scenario is especially designed for the initiation of younger players! So prepare your flint or ivory-tipped spears, and make sure your clan and your totem spirits are behind you. The adventure begins the second you step outside your camp…

Please make sure to let us know if you have any question.

• Locked thread