Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Pants posted:

That perk actually works even if you have the dog with you. :v:

What? It does? That makes it a lot more attractive. I like the idea of running around as just a dude and a dog and if I can get big bonuses for it that's even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Walrus posted:

I read those logs. It also says that the staff is *also* kept on minimal information - for the guy to, with all sincerity, say what he says, the only way to rationalize it is that he's a sociopath. Everyone else you talk to is very much 'move along, sir'

edit: oh I didn't realize the town you give is the name of your old hometown. I guess that's alright.

Oh holy poo poo I thought you were trolling. Dang.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

projecthalaxy posted:

I think I'm going to reroll my dude and focus on the gun-crafting and +full-auto perks. I'm not super impressed with melee, partially because I have 98 minutes played and have found exactly one (1) tire iron and that's it while I have a hundred pounds of pistols and carbines.

Yeaaaah melee is not something I would really focus on in a fallout game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I got confused when I finished the Concord Museum quest because I thought dude gave me 50 Fusion Cores, not 50 Fusion Cells (expecting the latter to still be called Micro-Fusion Cells). I was like "wow, this game really wants me to use power armor".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

What? It does? That makes it a lot more attractive. I like the idea of running around as just a dude and a dog and if I can get big bonuses for it that's even better.

This is the real Mad Max game :3:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Empress Theonora posted:

is it just me or do god rays keep turning themselves back on

i'm at work now so i can't test further but i'd like to get better FPS somehow

Yes. You have to use the low preset and adjust from there otherwise god rays will turn back on after you leave the fallout 4 launcher.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Oh holy poo poo I thought you were trolling. Dang.

sorry, forgot the deathclaw in concord. why the hell is he there? whats his deal?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeaaaah melee is not something I would really focus on in a fallout game.
It worked in NV because the base damage for melee was at worst higher than the most powerful gun in the same tier.

Oh, Baby! had a base damage of 80, multiplied by 1.5 as a global melee weapon buff to 120, while the AM Rifle was 110.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Started game on 'Hard' difficulty, realized game would still be too easy.

Changed to 'Survival' difficulty, killed by a mole rat with land mines strapped to his back.

10/10 GOTY

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a better way to keep your power armor with you than "wear it every time you fast travel?" I eventually want to make a very Science! sort of dude who uses power armor a lot but it seems like it'll be a pain to make sure I actually have it available.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Fallout is post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic. The whole setting is "humanity survives and rebuilds, but doesn't rebuild that much." Logic about everything being hunky-dory 200 years later isn't true in this setting.

When stuff gets too well preserved or 'normal', you get New "PLEASE PLEASE care about this random city that doesn't have the Enclave or Super Mutants to threaten it" Vegas.

You are insane

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Walrus posted:

sorry, forgot the deathclaw in concord. why the hell is he there? whats his deal?

It's destiny, if you talk to the psychic crackhead old lady and pass a speech check she'll tell you that it's like your first trial or some dumb poo poo like that.

Fallout 4's plot & writing is insanely good.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Can someone PLEASE explain how my robot survives 200 years and an entire nuclear war and still just hover around my house?? He's trimming the roses, I don't even LIKE roses??? Uninstalling this sick filth.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's destiny, if you talk to the psychic crackhead old lady and pass a speech check she'll tell you that it's like your first trial or some dumb poo poo like that.

That "dumb poo poo" she says is "There's something out there that is hearing the fighting we've been doing and the noise is literally attracting it to us."

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm fine with the motivation in the game being "family". But that family needs to feel like the player's family, not the player's character's family. See the difference?

Not at all. You're shown you were in a stable, loving relationship with a wife/husband and a child, and both are taken from you.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 10, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Reminder that MisterBibs tried for eight hours in vain to get past Cazador And Deathclaw Alley because the thought of going the other direction or sneaking never occurred to him

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

havenwaters posted:

Yes. You have to use the low preset and adjust from there otherwise god rays will turn back on after you leave the fallout 4 launcher.

oh! i thought i was just going crazy. maybe if i can get rid of godrays i can even turn some of the other settings further up~

edit: do they ever explain why my main character, an attorney, is also suddenly an expert gunfighter capable of nailing womp rats rad roaches from thirty paces? i mean they don't need to or anything but since they went out of their way to give the male protagonist a military background

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 10, 2015

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Empress Theonora posted:

is it just me or do god rays keep turning themselves back on

If you use the Settings panel in the launcher and click High or Ultra (maybe even Medium) and then change the godrays drop-down to "Off", hit OK and re-open the settings panel, it will be back to Low. Some sort of bug in the Settings app. To get around this, I clicked Low, then manually set various settings back to High. Doing this keeps godrays off.

I tested that setting's effects on the ini files, and there is a separate on/off setting in the INI that it's not actually changing.

Fallout4Prefs.ini in Documents/My Games/Fallout4:
code:
iVolumetricLightingQuality=0
bVolumetricLightingEnable=1
That's what clicking High then choosing "Off" does, which is actually the "Low" setting. You can just set bVolumetricLightingEnable to 0 by hand. It's much easier than clicking Low and setting every other value back to High.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Reminder that MisterBibs tried for eight hours in vain to get past Cazador And Deathclaw Alley because the thought of going the other direction or sneaking never occurred to him

lol

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

When is the earliest I can find a vendor? My bags keep running over and I'm stashing everything at my base(the garage), but I would be live to be able to start selling poo poo. I'm walking my way to Diamond City now, just got promoted to the Minutemen.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Walrus posted:

If you find the Concord sewers you'll find its lair and I also found a cool thing in there, a legendary radroach with a automatic crank powered lazer rifle, which eats ammo but tears up enemies.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7f.3.4.3.3.4.7.4

I'm thinking about this for my explorer/crafter/machine gunner build. Use You're SPECIAL! to pull INT up to 5 to qualify for Scrapper right out the gate.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Going to finally get to play tonight after work, so I'm taking everyone's tips now and copying them down. Your face smashing into the desk because of Terrible Unpatched Things is not in vain.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
- I thought Bethesda specifically said in a preview video that you get XP for things your dog kills, but this doesn't seem to be the case?

- Is it completely impossible to crit without using VATS? If I manually aim a sniper rifle without VATS and get a headshot, does that get a damage multiplier?

- Has anyone tried a stealth build? How easy is it to sneak right up to things if you have like 9 AGI?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rynn posted:

Going to finally get to play tonight after work, so I'm taking everyone's tips now and copying them down. Your face smashing into the desk because of Terrible Unpatched Things is not in vain.
Leave vsync on

Zero VGS posted:

- I thought Bethesda specifically said in a preview video that you get XP for things your dog kills, but this doesn't seem to be the case?
Bethesda implementations being broken as poo poo compared to the game that came immediately before well I never

quote:

- Is it completely impossible to crit without using VATS? If I manually aim a sniper rifle without VATS and get a headshot, does that get a damage multiplier?
Sneak attack criticals still exist, headshot bonus is constant and they both stack with each other and headshots for humanoids are now 2.5x in this game so it's a total of 5x base.

quote:

- Has anyone tried a stealth build? How easy is it to sneak right up to things if you have like 9 AGI?
you need silent running or whatever equivalent for stealth to be worth a gently caress, it uses the same broken active checks

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 10, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Not at all. You're shown you were in a stable, loving relationship with a wife/husband and a child, and both are taken from you.

Right, you're shown. That's it. And in videogames you can do so much more.

Making the player actually feel something is way better than just "this is what you have to do because your character cares, and you can't decide if your character cares or not".

Something as emotional as seeing your wife shot and your baby stolen should have impact.

Anyways on the other hand the intro to Fallout 4 reminded me a lot of Half-life, that style of walking-level intro where you go through the environment as it should be, then everything goes wrong, then you play back through the same area but its dangerous now, which works really well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I was shown that in only the most minimal of ways.

Bethesda does not do a good job of creating "personal" or "emotional" stakes in their stories and yet they keep building their stories around them, often to the detriment of the entire game's structure. When it comes to an open-world RPG built around exploration and adventuring around a rather wild wasteland, I much prefer the New Vegas approach of setting up a tenuous situation and throwing in the player as a wild card. Leave it up to me to decide what my character's motivation is and what his ultimate goal is.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'm sneaking pretty well with 7 AGI and suppressors on my guns

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Fallout 4's plot & writing is insanely good.

I first thought this lady was mentally retarded and felt bad, but then I realized it was just her Boston accent. "Get me sam morh Jet and I'll get wicked hoigh to tell the futuah, kid."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Bethesda does not do a good job of creating "personal" or "emotional" stakes in their stories and yet they keep building their stories around them, often to the detriment of the entire game's structure. When it comes to an open-world RPG built around exploration and adventuring around a rather wild wasteland, I much prefer the New Vegas approach of setting up a tenuous situation and throwing in the player as a wild card. Leave it up to me to decide what my character's motivation is and what his ultimate goal is.

Agreed completely. If you're going to go emotional, you gotta actually get emotional. Hire some good writers and make me care.

Otherwise don't try to go for the heartstrings. Just come up with a decent plot and let me go be Mr. Murder Bandit.

"Oh boy, here I go killing again!"

Shoulda named my character Krombopulous Michael.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here's my building tips:
Go into building mode in Sanctuary and clean it up. Hit R to scrap all the random debris, especially those that get in your way and the collapsed houses, which are worth a lot of materials especially rubber which you're a little short on, early on. There's like an endless supply of steel and wood, so stop scavenging cans. Once you scrap the bad houses, they have good foundations to build on.

It's pretty annoying you can't run in building mode.

Danaru posted:

You were preapproved because you/r husband was a soldier, clipboard man was basically just there to finalize paperwork. Surprisingly when nukes are falling, they don't really give a poo poo if form 22-A was submitted properly, they see your name on a list of pre-approved folks and let you in.

The guard at the gate with a clip board does look at you and go "one adult male, one adult female and one infant, seems in order," while the Vault Rep is busy crying about not getting in. So, I mean there was some fuss.

Am I the only one annoyed by my dog opening doors? Especially when he's found an enemy and then runs right over to them...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zero VGS posted:

Crits are VATS only for reasons I don't really understand, yup.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

These dragonflies are pussies, they're nothing like and nowhere near as dangerous as cazadors

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Also sneak attacks only

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I don't know where you're getting this from. I never tried in vain to get there. I corrected the flaw preventing open world access with a mod that had Cazador and Deathclaw Alley much more lifeless.

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, you're shown. That's it. And in videogames you can do so much more.

Given how some people couldn't grasp/accept the basic motivation of "my father escaped the Vault and I'm going to find him" from 3, I doubt any developer can fix Beep Boop Why Is Family Important in some people.

(paradoxically, I imagine this is the point where you claim NV made you care about the titular city, heh)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 10, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yea, but manually aiming is way better than your accuracy rolls, early on. I was shooting Raiders off the top of Corvega with a 10mm pistol with ADS.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, in an RPG I like being able to set my own character motivations. Since that's literally what RPG means. Playing a role. So Bethesda makes a game where I'm a predefined character with a distinct motivation and background. Okay, sure, I can work with that. But then they don't make it to where I care about my motivation or my background. I'm briefly introduced to a person who says nice things about my character and shown that there is a baby there as well, and that's supposed to carry me through the entire storyline. Which it doesn't. So I'm left not really caring about the main plot, which is unfortunate. I didn't care about Martin, I didn't care about Dad, I don't care about Shaun, and yet the game won't stop bringing them up and making the plot revolve around them. I'm totally involved in the plot of Me Wandering the Wasteland With My Dog, but they seem determined to remind me that that's not the game I'm supposed to be playing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harrow posted:

I much prefer the New Vegas approach of setting up a tenuous situation and throwing in the player as a wild card. Leave it up to me to decide what my character's motivation is and what his ultimate goal is.

Why can't you decide that with this game?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Who the gently caress hired that DJ!? :psyduck:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Where do I find screws? I have loads of scrap of all kind, but for some reason can't mod any weapons because I have 0 screws.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think Bethesda's best start to a series was Skyrim's where you're in a prison convoy and everyone's like "who the gently caress are these two chucklefucks?" "I'm just a horse-thief! I don't know who this guy is he might as well have popped in out of thin air." "DRAGON! RUN!"

I see what they did with Fallout 4 but the first few segments of the game are "BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY!" Also, I find it really frustrating for some reason that your pod was the ONLY pod that didn't have a life support failure. Honestly it would have added a little emotional impact if you had a handful of other survivors, ideally banging on the pod of their dead friends, family and lovers and sobbing their hearts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Weapons overall seem to be much more accurate this time around, NV'S ADS still had some sway to it but all the guns here seem to be laser accurate

• Locked thread