Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah having my character be forced to act as if she cares about her baby is annoying. This is a Fallout game, I should be able to be as heartless and mercenary as I wanna be. =\

Don't worry you can shoot him in the face the moment you meet him. The plot even recognizes it.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Who the gently caress hired that DJ!? :psyduck:

The DJ is supposed to be terrible, there is a mission for 'fixing' him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

Given how some people couldn't grasp/accept the basic motivation of "my father escaped the Vault and I'm going to find him" from 3, I doubt any developer can fix Beep Boop Why Is Family Important in some people.
they're given all of two minutes of characterization compared to the hour or so better-suited-to-this-sort-of-thing games would let you play through before killing them, it's pretty hard for the player to care about someone they know for all of two minutes

not that you know how empathy works because you completely lack it, but just saying

quote:

(paradoxically, I imagine this is the point where you claim NV made you care about the titular city, heh)
they don't care about that either, but they care about other things around it. ie the important things.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Son of Rodney posted:

Where do I find screws? I have loads of scrap of all kind, but for some reason can't mod any weapons because I have 0 screws.

Desk fans.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

For those who've played the game, how seriously should I take the minimum requirements? I'm comfortably above on everything but graphics, and I'd have to rely there on the i7's iris.

I've been gaming since the 80s, so I'm fine with the game not being very pretty - the main thing for me is that on low settings I'm not dealing with crappy framerates.

Any thoughts?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Is there any way to fix this awful capped framerate without breaking everything?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It would have been better if you woke up in your dumb pod without having seen the cutscene of spouse getting shot and baby stolen since then it would have been a genuine mystery but that's too subtle for todd

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Son of Rodney posted:

Where do I find screws? I have loads of scrap of all kind, but for some reason can't mod any weapons because I have 0 screws.

The scrapper perk under intelligence gives you the ability to scrap weapons for screws, which is incredibly useful and makes the endless sea of pipe rifles somewhat useful.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Weapons overall seem to be much more accurate this time around, NV'S ADS still had some sway to it but all the guns here seem to be laser accurate
the gameplay mechanic known as "bloom" was impossible to add to bethesda's engine so that was part of the reason why they hired some guys from id and bungie to do the combat for this game

Ersatz posted:

For those who've played the game, how seriously should I take the minimum requirements? I'm comfortably above on everything but graphics, and I'd have to rely there on the i7's iris.

I've been having since the 80s, so I'm fine with the game not being very pretty - the main thing for me is that on low settings I'm not dealing with crappy framerates.

Any thoughts?
play on low, the iris pro is something like an equivalent to nvidia's GT 740 and that already plays this game on low everything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they're given all of two minutes of characterization compared to the hour or so better-suited-to-this-sort-of-thing games would let you play through before killing them, it's pretty hard for the player to care about someone they know for all of two minutes

not that you know how empathy works because you completely lack it, but just saying

they don't care about that either, but they care about other things around it. ie the important things.

See you say this, and yet Heavy Rain got slammed for spending a while trying to connect you with the kid before they grabbed him away

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Is there any way to fix this awful capped framerate without breaking everything?

No. The entire game engine is tied to the frame rate, again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Given how some people couldn't grasp/accept the basic motivation of "my father escaped the Vault and I'm going to find him" from 3, I doubt any developer can fix Beep Boop Why Is Family Important in some people.

(paradoxically, I imagine this is the point where you claim NV made you care about the titular city, heh)

I didn't have to care about the city on a macro level. That wasn't the point.

I did care about Goodsprings, because they were nice to me and I helped them out with bandits. I cared about the doctors trying to work in New Vegas because I got to interact with them for a while and do quests for them. I cared about stopping Caesar's Legion because they were assholes to me and I saw them hurting and killing good people throughout the game. The game didn't say, "Your character is affiliated with these groups, here are some lines of dialog, remember that they are important to you." It let me decide which parts of the Mojave I gave a poo poo about and, in perhaps the best thing about the game, it let me (to a respectable, if constrained by the medium, degree) manipulate events to benefit the people I cared about, even if it meant leaving behind good people who might've benefited from a different outcome.

That was some cool poo poo.

At no point in Fallout 3 did I, as a player, care about my character's father. It takes more than a game telling me "your character cares about this other character" and giving me something like 20 minutes of actual time with that character (in a 50+ hour game) for it to count as motivation for the player. I can suspend my disbelief a bit and figure yeah, okay, my character cares about this virtual family, but it doesn't extend to me, the player, unless the game does some more work to make that happen. I don't think an open-world wasteland exploration RPG is the right place to even try that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

See you say this, and yet Heavy Rain got slammed for spending a while trying to connect you with the kid before they grabbed him away
that's partially due to game reviewers not knowing how writing works and partially also because david cage's execution of everything after that is loving abysmal

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Does anyone know how to change the directory the game saves to? I hate games that default to the "My Games" folder because reinstalling Windows happens enough that I risk losing saves. I know I could just back them up/copy them... but that's unnecessary if I could just have the game put them elsewhere. Any ideas?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's because David Cage does not know how human beings behave

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's because David Cage is terrible at writing human interactions, though. I appreciated what they tried to do in that segment, but it also just didn't work right, that's all. No great mystery there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterBibs posted:

Its not that people couldn't grasp the idea of caring about your Father, its that Liam Neeson's character in 3 had very little to do with you and generally seemed like a bit of a dick. If he just dumps you and leaves, gently caress you dad I'll do my own thing. Its not that hard to understand.

That's literally the thing I'm talking about here. You say you doubt any developer can fix "Beeop Boop Why is Family Important" but that's just because you're playing games that don't do it right.

Even really loving simple games like Mega Man X handle player motivation better. A 2D 16-bit game. that's my point. It doesn't take massive work, just thinking through player psychology and writing around it.

And no, the whole point is that NV didn't try to have some shoehorned character motivations. Your character motivations aligned with your player motivations, "I want to explore and do stuff and be a badass". That's simple and most players can get ahold of that real quick. The problem is when you try to push for some massively emotional motivation without earning it.

Either let the player live by the motivations they already have, or if you're going to force an emotional motivation you need to sell it. Its that simple.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The DJ is supposed to be terrible, there is a mission for 'fixing' him.

gently caress you Shaun, I know my priorities!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought New Vegas was much more perceptive of most RPG players when they decided to make your first goal, the thing that makes your character get up in the morning, the desire to rain fire and vengeance on this one douchebag and everyone he knows instead of familial connections.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Found one of those bighuge supermutants stuck inside one of those swan pedal boat things, at first I thought it was something less harmful and it promptly walked up and stomped my stupid rear end.

Thankfully I remembered to save first, and got my revenge http://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/v/25063100

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why can't you decide that with this game?

Because:

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, in an RPG I like being able to set my own character motivations. Since that's literally what RPG means. Playing a role. So Bethesda makes a game where I'm a predefined character with a distinct motivation and background. Okay, sure, I can work with that. But then they don't make it to where I care about my motivation or my background. I'm briefly introduced to a person who says nice things about my character and shown that there is a baby there as well, and that's supposed to carry me through the entire storyline. Which it doesn't. So I'm left not really caring about the main plot, which is unfortunate. I didn't care about Martin, I didn't care about Dad, I don't care about Shaun, and yet the game won't stop bringing them up and making the plot revolve around them. I'm totally involved in the plot of Me Wandering the Wasteland With My Dog, but they seem determined to remind me that that's not the game I'm supposed to be playing.

This. Exactly.

Dogmeat is way more emotionally interesting than your child is. That's a huge fuckup.

I would care way more about a plot where I meet Dogmeat, spend time with him, and then somebody kidnaps my dog. I'd be loving pissed. I'm gonna rescue my loving dog, he's awesome.

The kid? He's just some plastic baby that I had at the start of the game.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, in an RPG I like being able to set my own character motivations. Since that's literally what RPG means. Playing a role. So Bethesda makes a game where I'm a predefined character with a distinct motivation and background. Okay, sure, I can work with that. But then they don't make it to where I care about my motivation or my background. I'm briefly introduced to a person who says nice things about my character and shown that there is a baby there as well, and that's supposed to carry me through the entire storyline. Which it doesn't. So I'm left not really caring about the main plot, which is unfortunate. I didn't care about Martin, I didn't care about Dad, I don't care about Shaun, and yet the game won't stop bringing them up and making the plot revolve around them. I'm totally involved in the plot of Me Wandering the Wasteland With My Dog, but they seem determined to remind me that that's not the game I'm supposed to be playing.

This post sums up my point better than I can post.

Also lol that you're supposed to care so much in a game where you can name your character Fuckface and have it be responded to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Undertale, a game about magic monster goats, managed to make people uncomfortably obsessed with a character literally named tutorial who you spend like 10 minutes with tops. If you have good writing you can make people care about characters with limited screen time. Your family in FO4 are not good characters.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I skipped the part where you get Dogmeat officially named so he's Dog in my game and he's a more interesting character than almost every other mindless drone in this game

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought New Vegas was much more perceptive of most RPG players when they decided to make your first goal, the thing that makes your character get up in the morning, the desire to rain fire and vengeance on this one douchebag and everyone he knows instead of familial connections.

It doesn't even have to be that, although it certainly could be. You could be interested in getting your chip back and finishing your delivery. You could be just plain curious to find out why that guy shot you in the first place. Or you could just ignore it and run past a bunch of deathclaws and stumble across other quests and plotlines.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The Walrus posted:

this game staggers me with the amount of poo poo that is lazy or poorly thought out. in the first thirty minutes of the game alone -

1. the bombs drop literally right after you put your name down for the vault. you immediately then run there, *past* the guy you gave your name to, and proceed without issue. how did nobody raise a flag at this?
2. when it's time to leave the door literally swings open like it's a disney world ride or haunted house or something lol
3. If you go left out your door it takes all of five seconds to get to a place where you literally see actors fade in out of nothingness and start running towards the vault
4. ineffectual briefcase man - on your left as you run towards the vault. his wife is telling him to hurry but what is the actual issue? his bag seems fine, he seems fine, pick your poo poo up and get moving bro. like much else in this game I don't think they expected you to think too hard about it
5. the guy manning the door controls in the vault. says that 'once you're in the vault there'll be lots of time for everyone to get to know one another", but this obviously makes no sense considering the nature of the vault. The only way to have this make sense is for the guy to be some sort of sociopath who gets off on being way over the top in his deception. "Move along, your questions will be answered shortly" wasn't enough for this loving psychopath
6. if you go to the police station before following that moron in a cowboy hat from concord to wherever, you still have the option to tell the BoS that you're from the town that I'm assuming you set up. They clearly put zero effort into reactive stuff like this that NV was full of.

that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's stuff to like but there was sooooo much more just like these examples that it'll be an exercise in making my own fun. Not that we didn't know that going in.

1) The Vault Tec guy who interviewed you is literally right there at the gate trying to get in when you run up. At some point he probably handed the new clipboard to the guard.

3) In fairness, spawning more people further away to properly run would just eat up frames/resources for a short piece of the intro sequence.

4) Apparently you've never seen someone in an emergency situation like this. While I'm sure it wasn't really thought about the developers, there is nothing to suggest that such a thing wouldn't happen in real life. Unfortunately some people shut down when the flight response hits.

5/6 already answered.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fallout 3 and NV were both games of creating your own plot. Vegas was especially bad, since the driving force at the start is to get revenge for a dude trying to kill you, but then you can finish that plot line fairly quickly and then you just do stuff until the Hoover Dam attack happens

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Wow, the UI is pretty terrible if you're using an Azerty keyboard. You can rebind your movement controls, but it still wants you to use W and A to move up/left in menus/pipboy - and you can't seem to rebind that. It' nothing autohotkey can't fix since I'm used to that kind of treatment on games where you can't rebind everything :v:.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 10, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why can't you decide that with this game?

You can, but the game isn't structured around it and, if I want to play some kinds of characters, I have to actively ignore the entire setup behind the main plot. My choices of motivation at the beginning are some combination of "find out who killed my wife," "find my child," and/or "get revenge." Like, that's great and all, and I'll at least get to decide how I interact with people as I go, and I'm sure I'll get some say in how events turn out at the end, but no matter what, I am playing as "Man/Woman who is out to find his/her child" from the get-go. That's inherently limiting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's because David Cage's writing isn't much better.

JAAAAAASON!

That said, I did actually give a bit of a poo poo about the kid in Heavy Rain. Way more than this game anyways.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So Dogmeat plummeted through a solid highway and fell about 40 feet, crippling him. Bethesda dot text. Anyway, the game told me I need to heal him with a stimpak, which is fair enough, but I have no idea how the hell to actually do so. :psyduck: Anyone shed some light?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did you know that 40% of deaths in the post-apocalypse are a result of not being able to move away from danger because a dog is stuck between your feet? Weird but true.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked how one of the options when you rescue your dad in vault 112 is "hey can we take a moment and talk about how you objectively ruined my life and I don't want to help you anymore?" I mean he waves past it and you theoretically still follow him to the Jefferson and act as his personal murderhobo but I like that you could say I HATE YOU ATOMIC DAD.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

So Dogmeat plummeted through a solid highway and fell about 40 feet, crippling him. Bethesda dot text. Anyway, the game told me I need to heal him with a stimpak, which is fair enough, but I have no idea how the hell to actually do so. :psyduck: Anyone shed some light?

Eventually he will get back up on his own, Stims are just speeding it up. Which is good because he can run off and die and you have no idea where he went sometimes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Characters heal automatically after a few minutes. Stimpacks are for reviving them in combat and requires you to walk up to them and hit a button

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GhostDog posted:

Did you know that 40% of deaths in the post-apocalypse are a result of not being able to move away from danger because a dog is stuck between your feet? Weird but true.

I like it when the dog walks between me and an object I'm trying to interact with, like a landmine for instance.

Every landmine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

press e on him

alternatively, he automatically heals if you kill everyone (the hotline miami solution)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sicarius posted:

Does anyone know how to change the directory the game saves to? I hate games that default to the "My Games" folder because reinstalling Windows happens enough that I risk losing saves. I know I could just back them up/copy them... but that's unnecessary if I could just have the game put them elsewhere. Any ideas?

Most games really don't let you. You could try creating some kind of a directory link or shortcut in the My Games folder which is named what the game expects the folder to be called, which redirects to another folder on another drive. In Linux this would work fine, on Windows I think it'll work but I'm not positive.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Every video game in existence gives you some role to play. Every fallout game gives you some backstory. "you like your own baby" is a super blank slate sort of backstory that is broad and doesn't need any setup. It's a baby, it has no personality or characteristics. They gave you a blank slate. As blank as possible where you aren't just playing minecraft or something.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I think Bethesda's best start to a series was Skyrim's where you're in a prison convoy and everyone's like "who the gently caress are these two chucklefucks?" "I'm just a horse-thief! I don't know who this guy is he might as well have popped in out of thin air." "DRAGON! RUN!"

I see what they did with Fallout 4 but the first few segments of the game are "BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY!" Also, I find it really frustrating for some reason that your pod was the ONLY pod that didn't have a life support failure. Honestly it would have added a little emotional impact if you had a handful of other survivors, ideally banging on the pod of their dead friends, family and lovers and sobbing their hearts out.

The life support thing is explained later on, as to why you were the only one left. It wasn't a malfuction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ughh so this base building stuff seems like a time sink. Is there any pay off?

• Locked thread