Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Note that in some areas Fluoridation is actually the process of removing fluoride to bring it down to safe levels.

Doesn't stop the crazies from freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fluoridation is the only thing keeping my teeth in my skull. Is it too soon to derisively refer to San Marcos as an Austin suburb yet?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The west coast has has anti-vaccination/homeopathic/anti-science movement, the east coast is full of anti-gun nuts that hates everything that isn't white, Florida is full of crazy people, Russia is turning into the Third Reich, Canada elected someone so weird it makes America look good, Europeans hate Muslims, China wants to pollute the world, and Texas' super religious conservatives are amazing more politically motivated than everyone else.

Realize the world is hosed as we know it, become cynical, lose faith in humanity, start drinking, and get over it like me, and putt all your eggs into space travel.

Everyone is equally as terrible as everyone else. :suicide:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 6, 2015

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
^^ Let's not forget that Australia is not running full-on concentration camps.

boom boom boom posted:

Best Vietnamese food outside of Vietnam.

And home of more right-wing Vietnamese death squads than anywhere else in the US!

(Seriously, watch that Frontline episode. It's insane. There were straight-up professional death squads in the Vietnamese-American community during the 70s and 80s that were basically allowed to operate with impunity.)

e_angst fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 6, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

As a Vietnamese American who went to high school in Houston, I'm gonna say that the best Viet food in America is actually in Westminster, CA. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

e_angst posted:

^^ Let's not forget that Australia is not running full-on concentration camps.

Oh, they try:

quote:

On January 2014, the Australian Labor Party and the Australian Greens accused the government of a cover-up over a violent clash on 18 October 2013 at the Manus Island facility between the Papua New Guinea army and the Papua New Guinea police mobile squad hired for the facility's security, leading to Australian expatriate staff being evacuated, while local staff and asylum seekers remained.[15] On 5 May 2014, it was reported that several Salvation Army staffers had alleged that refugees were regularly subjected to beatings, racist slurs, and sexual assaults within the facility.[16]

In March 2002, Irene Khan, the Secretary General of Amnesty International, said:

It is obvious that the prolonged periods of detention, characterised by frustration and insecurity, are doing further damage to individuals who have fled grave human rights abuses. The detention policy has failed as a deterrent and succeeded only as punishment.
How much longer will children and their families be punished for seeking safety from persecution?[17]

Former Prime Minister John Howard and successive immigration ministers maintained that their actions were justified in the interests of protecting Australia's borders and ensuring that immigration law was enforced

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shockingly, the NFL released a statement that they're not moving the Superbowl because of the HERO defeat. But they did lowkey rebuke the voters:

quote:

"This will not affect our plans for Super Bowl LI in 2017. We will work closely with the Houston Super Bowl Host Committee to make sure all fans feel welcomed at our events. Our policies emphasize tolerance and inclusiveness, and prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Parker wants to try to redo HERO in stages or with an exception for bathrooms and locker rooms, according to Texas Trib.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Badger of Basra posted:

Parker wants to try to redo HERO in stages or with an exception for bathrooms and locker rooms, according to Texas Trib.

That's a good idea, it's a shame all the other protections were lost just because of the bathroom thing.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Note that in some areas Fluoridation is actually the process of removing fluoride to bring it down to safe levels.

Doesn't stop the crazies from freaking out.

Is it really called fluoridation during the removal process?

That's the crazy thing about anti-fluoride types, in many areas it naturally occurs at higher levels than the recommended range. Amending fluoride in most places raises the concentration to less than what you would get out of a private well in a variety of places in the US.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zeroprime posted:

Is it really called fluoridation during the removal process?

That's the crazy thing about anti-fluoride types, in many areas it naturally occurs at higher levels than the recommended range. Amending fluoride in most places raises the concentration to less than what you would get out of a private well in a variety of places in the US.

That's what the government mind control division wants you to think.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The superbowl isn't going anywhere but us just happening to lose the college championship to cities who don't have the bad PR of rejecting basic human dignity probably isn't random.

It can hardly be bad PR to be within the majority on a democratic referendum. People have different ideas as to what constitutes human dignity.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

It can hardly be bad PR to be within the majority on a democratic referendum. People have different ideas as to what constitutes human dignity.

It's not bad PR within Houston but if you can't see how it's bad PR in much of the rest of the country I dunno what to tell you.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Well, as a comparison, there are tons of disgruntled jerks and/or paid comment-spammers constantly talking poo poo about San Francisco municipal policies on sfgate.com articles. Constantly. Have been for years. But, since most of them are not actually San Francisco residents, they don't matter. The city continues to exist regardless of what Joe Opinionhaver in Idaho thinks.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

Well, as a comparison, there are tons of disgruntled jerks and/or paid comment-spammers constantly talking poo poo about San Francisco municipal policies on sfgate.com articles. Constantly. Have been for years. But, since most of them are not actually San Francisco residents, they don't matter. The city continues to exist regardless of what Joe Opinionhaver in Idaho thinks.

What does that have to do with whether or not a championship game is awarded to Houston? The city does indeed continue to exist, but it has lost out on economic gains. I think that's what people are talking about, not whether Houston blinks out of existence because EAST COAST LIBERALS think they're ignorant.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think Trans rights are supported enough nationwide for this to make anyone really care, even if you focus on the country as a whole rather than the NFL's main demographics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HERO was an all encompassing LGBT equal protection measure. The bathroom menace thing was just solid gold as far as a tactic goes and it simultaneously let the frame it as a less-normalized trans issue rather than a gay rights issue. Hopefully any organization considering altering their relationship with the city of Houston because of the election would be aware of the full scope.

Also we have a model for this, when Pence signed the Indiana religious freedom law into law, a ton of businesses called the state out and some even halted planned expansions. I think the business reaction to the Indiana case was a big reason why we didn't pass our own religious freedom law last session. I know that Bill Hammond lobbied hard against it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 7, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

HERO was an all encompassing LGBT equal protection measure. The bathroom menace thing was just solid gold as far as a tactic goes and it simultaneously let the frame it as a less-normalized trans issue rather than a gay rights issue. Hopefully any organization considering altering their relationship with the city of Houston because of the election would be aware of the full scope.

Also we have a model for this, when Pence signed the Indiana religious freedom law into law, a ton of businesses called the state out and some even halted planned expansions. I think the business reaction to the Indiana case was a big reason why we didn't pass our own religious freedom law last session. I know that Bill Hammond lobbied hard against it.

Business involvement in calling out the state has been why Georgia and Nathan Deal haven't done it either.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Badger of Basra posted:

What does that have to do with whether or not a championship game is awarded to Houston? The city does indeed continue to exist, but it has lost out on economic gains. I think that's what people are talking about, not whether Houston blinks out of existence because EAST COAST LIBERALS think they're ignorant.

Yes, and I'm sure San Francisco has lost out on economic gains because a big Tea Party convention decided not to go there or something. The upshot is that doing something to please other people ends up as a wash: some people will like it, other people will not.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Are people already forgetting the backlash in Indiana? http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/03/27/3639895/8-entities-may-boycott-indiana-new-lgbt-discrimination-bill/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yes, and I'm sure San Francisco has lost out on economic gains because a big Tea Party convention decided not to go there or something. The upshot is that doing something to please other people ends up as a wash: some people will like it, other people will not.

Ask Arizona and Indiana how "some people will like it, others will not" worked out for them.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
People choose or avoid a city for all sorts of different reasons. You only know those reasons when someone makes a public spectable out of announcing them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maoist Pussy posted:

People choose or avoid a city for all sorts of different reasons. You only know those reasons when someone makes a public spectable out of announcing them.

No poo poo?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yeah, watch out inner city Houston, a bunch of bigoted white people are about to move in!

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Welp, it looks like Austin has reclaimed the "most congested highway" title from Houston.

quote:

Austin drivers who complain about Interstate Highway 35 have been validated.

A new report from the Texas A&M Transportation Institute named the stretch of I-35 between U.S. 290 N and SH 71 as the most congested roadway in Texas.

The annual report of the top 100 congested roadways in the state — commissioned by the Texas Department of Transportation — called a stretch of Houston's I-610 the second-most congested roadway (it was No. 1 last year and I-35 in Austin was No. 2). Two separate sections of U.S. 59 in Houston and a portion of I-35 E in Dallas round out this year's top five.

Now let's watch Austin vote down another rail bill in the next election.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

Welp, it looks like Austin has reclaimed the "most congested highway" title from Houston.

Well as a homeowner and a taxpayer, I

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

e_angst posted:

But...But...the construction of the rail system would only make traffic worse! :qq:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm the rail line doesn't have a stop directly in front of my house? No thanks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

e_angst posted:

Sure, I'm voting against this rail bill, because the next rail bill will be totally better!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

e_angst posted:

I still can't believe that rail bill got voted down. It seemed like a lot of voters didn't realize the route it had would service a lot of new high rises. Instead of those people taking the rail, they will now add to the traffic. Anyone here that has lived in Austin knows I35 is awful. I can completely believe it's the worst. It's easily worse than 635 in Dallas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

With Mopac/Ben White and 130, I'm pretty sure it's been multiple years since I've been on I-35 in the direct downtown area.

The one train line we do have is pretty awesome, but they don't have the capacity they should. They have to leave a lot of people when the last train departs at 12:30.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I lived off Mopac once, I hated Mopac more than 35, but that was a while back, downtown I'm sure got as big as it looked when they were building it, 35 now must be a nightmare.

edit: sorry for stealth edits

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

zoux posted:

Hmmm the rail line doesn't have a stop directly in front of my house? No thanks.

I'd take it every day if it ran every 15 minutes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I lived off Mopac once, I hated Mopac more than 35, but that was a while back, downtown I'm sure got as big as it looked when they were "building" it.

They're doing a massive renovation project on it right now, it's an utter nightmare.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm voting no on it because it might cause minorities to appear in my suburb! Um. I mean... It will change the character of the neighborhood!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I lived off Mopac once, I hated Mopac more than 35, but that was a while back, downtown I'm sure got as big as it looked when they were building it.

Mopac is fun because it's got little tricks to zip through West Austin neighborhoods when it's super locked-up. The toll plan is hosed up, though.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Mopac is fun because it's got little tricks to zip through West Austin neighborhoods when it's super locked-up. The toll plan is hosed up, though.

I was jealous of those who could get to them, Far West, was far.

zoux posted:

They're doing a massive renovation project on it right now, it's an utter nightmare.

I remember all the cranes, :eyepop: can probably start using 35 as a bike lane, cars are moving art.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 10, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Heck yeah, Lake Austin Blvd -> 2222 via neighborhoods might not actually be faster, but it is more enjoyable.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Building a rail system doesn't help "keep Austin weird" hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Building a rail system doesn't help "keep Austin weird" hth

That's exactly why we should do it!