Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Slowhanded posted:

Spend more on speakers! Receivers have a ton of electronics that break easily and are quickly outdated, particularly at this moment with the gradual shift to 4K. Speaker technology is extremely mature, good ones will literally last a lifetime!

I will offer a counter point to this. If you spend the money on 2-3 speakers now, you may find yourself having to buy a whole new set when you go 5.1 or 7.1 due to timber matching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Maka posted:

Definitely going to check out the Sony in person later this week. After reading up on the x810 I'm starting to like it more than the M60.

I can post a trip report on Saturday after I'm done fiddling.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah I plan on starting with 2.0 and maybe adding a center channel. I'll deal with a crazy setup when we get a house.

And I'm probably going to spend way too much on a nice receiver.

Honestly, if you live in a reasonably-populated area and you have some patience/willingness to do research, check out Goodwill. You might have to jump through some hoops with receiver inputs (maybe not, even) but there's decades-old audio equipment out there that still sounds really really good and can be had very cheaply if you get lucky-- it's not like TVs or something, there hasn't been that much advancement made in the area. My roommate grabbed a set of speaker towers at a thrift store for $15 that after replacing the foam (which is very cheap and easy, if a little tedious) he was able to resell for like $400. It might not be on par with the crazy surround setup you're envisioning, but at least in the interim you can probably assemble a really nice sub/receiver/dual speaker tower setup for under $100 with some smart secondhand purchases. You can definitely do better than an equivalently-priced soundbar, for what it's worth

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'll take a look around on Craigslist. I live in NYC so it's a complete loving nightmare to navigate and deal with people. But I'll see what I can find on the speaker front.

One thing I do have to look out for is bedbugs which like wood furniture. So second hand speakers aren't very high on my list. Price isn't a big deal to me (within reason) so I don't mind the ones I found on cordcutter. And I'm pretty dead set on the Denon receiver.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh yeah I don't live there but I would guess that anywhere the size of NYC has armies of professional bin-pickers who clear valuable poo poo out of thrift stores the minute it gets stocked; can't imagine that being worth the hassle. For those on a tighter budget though, in more mid-sized cities, I would definitely recommend at least trying your luck going to a thrift store and googling any random receivers/speakers you see to figure out if there are any crazy deals in your area.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bit of an odd question here. I have fallout 4 running on a dell u24 display and the picture is duplicated via hdmi to my lg55ec9300 TV. On the dell I can see tons of screen tearing but the picture is perfect on the lg.

Are OLEDs made of magic?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sometimes it depends on what audio format the source is in, but a good receiver will have a 'late night' option to compress the audio a bit.

I ran 5.0 in my apartment for years and nobody ever banged on my door or complained through the front desk or anything.

Yeah I run the night option as I said. Although I do run with the .1 channel, aka sub. That's the going to be the channel most liable to piss off neighbors. Sound mixes in movies are still god awful though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my 55" Panasonic to something in the 70" range. I'd like 4K and something good for gaming, but I also don't want to spend toooo much more than $2000. Right now, I'm looking at the Sony BRAVIA XBR 70X850B, which it looks like I can get for around $2000 online. Any reason not to? Is there something comparably better?

A great TV at that size and bonus it's not curved! I thought that was a $3k set though, where is it at for $2?

Have you considered a 65" Samsung JS8500?

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Dell has the LG 43UF7600 for $600 with a bonus $150 giftcard. I need a new TV for my bedroom and my old one was a 40", this seems like a good deal for "decent TV that doesn't cost too much". I was originally going to get some shitbox $300 on sale at best buy or whatever, is this worth going for? It's the upper end of my price range but it has pretty good reviews on amazon.

Anything dramatically better / notable in the sub-$500 range / should I wait till black friday / cyber whatever?

Thanks!

TotallyGreen fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 10, 2015

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

sellouts posted:

A great TV at that size and bonus it's not curved! I thought that was a $3k set though, where is it at for $2?

Have you considered a 65" Samsung JS8500?

Googling it, I see it for $2k at a bunch of random vendors like "ShopSmartTVs" and "Joe's AV"

https://www.google.com/search?q=BRA...VIA+XBR+70X850B

Which raises the question.... what's the deal with sites like that? I'm guessing they're not overt scams, but are they still crummy places to shop?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

Googling it, I see it for $2k at a bunch of random vendors like "ShopSmartTVs" and "Joe's AV"

https://www.google.com/search?q=BRA...VIA+XBR+70X850B

Which raises the question.... what's the deal with sites like that? I'm guessing they're not overt scams, but are they still crummy places to shop?

Yeah, they're scams. Grey market TVs at best, call to upsell you then never have it in stock at the worst. Don't waste your time.

Call Cleveland Plasma and see if he has any and what his price is. That's about the best you can get pricing wise unless there's some sort of deal like the Best Buy 10% off via Discover Apple Pay

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

sellouts posted:

Yeah, they're scams. Grey market TVs at best, call to upsell you then never have it in stock at the worst. Don't waste your time.

Call Cleveland Plasma and see if he has any and what his price is. That's about the best you can get pricing wise unless there's some sort of deal like the Best Buy 10% off via Discover Apple Pay

Well poo poo, that dampens the excitement for that idea; I could potentially spend more, but then I need to revisit the whole comparative marketplace. Is there a pretty solid 70" 4K TV for under $2500?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Vizio M is 1900.

I'm guessing you didn't even try Cleveland Plasma to see his price as I think they're closed -- so if you're not going to check then what's the point? He's the go to guy on AVSforum for people who are looking for the cheapest authorized dealer.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
My old, oooold rear end 42" JVC finally kicked the bucket (thank you for your service :patriot:) and so to replace it I picked up one of these http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50JU6500FXZA 4K UHD JU6500 Series Smart TV - 50" Class for a shade over $800. My girlfriend's mom got a slightly bigger one a month or two ago and I liked how it looked so I poked around and grabbed the 50" yesterday. Seems alright but wow did GTAV on PS4 seem like there was a spot of input lag (more than it usually has... zing.).

I still have 29 days to take it back if I don't really dig it - so I guess my question is: Did I buy a garbage and/or meh TV? If so, what's better out there around the $800-900 range?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rtings should have a listing of input lag for the tvs they review. That should help narrow your search.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

did you set it to game mode, turn off a bunch of stupid processing and/or use the correct input?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah still trying to find if there is a game mode and whatnot. The in-tv-manual kinda blows. :shrug: Gonna hit samsung's site and see what's clever. This TV is baller as F when it comes to plugging my PC in thus far, though. poo poo's changed bunches since last I bought a flat screen.

Coredump posted:

Rtings should have a listing of input lag for the tvs they review. That should help narrow your search.

Thanks - I'd never even heard of the site.

Ed: there's it is - they buried game mode down in their menus. Got decent enough ratings for games and average for movies. Guess it's a keeper for the price point! :toot:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 10, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah still trying to find if there is a game mode and whatnot. The in-tv-manual kinda blows. :shrug: Gonna hit samsung's site and see what's clever. This TV is baller as F when it comes to plugging my PC in thus far, though. poo poo's changed bunches since last I bought a flat screen.

Thanks - I'd never even heard of the site.

Yeah taking a quick peek on there your tv series is near the top for lowest input lag at 26.5 ms. But if you have any sort of motion interpolation then its gonna go to over 100 milliseconds.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Any reason to wait for Black Friday? I'm guessing that tvs in the 65+ area won't be on sale for more than they usually are. They never have been in the past.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

veedubfreak posted:

Any reason to wait for Black Friday? I'm guessing that tvs in the 65+ area won't be on sale for more than they usually are. They never have been in the past.

You can check the BF prices here, I'm updating the OP as I get them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks for that. Thank god I didn't order that TV yet!

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

So I'm looking for a hugeass TV to use as a monitor on a gaming PC, so my interests are low input lag and decent viewing angles. I was originally thinking the Vizio M43-C1 (currently ~$570USD shipped), but I found the Vizio M49-C1 on eBay for ~$500 USD shipped. Despite being larger than I want (and probably need), that price point is tempting. Two questions:

One, why is the larger TV cheaper? Is it an older model or junk innards or something? My research hasn't made anything apparent.

Two, any contrary opinions or alternative suggestions? (ie: do Vizios suck for rendering video games or something)?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
$2398 - Samsung UN75JU641DFXZA (75", 4k, Smart)

Anyone know much about this tv? One of the Best Buy schmucks was saying that TVs from Sams club are often a slightly different model so as to get the lower price. Is there any truth to this?

Rtings doesn't come up with anything when you search the model number.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone know much about this tv? One of the Best Buy schmucks was saying that TVs from Sams club are often a slightly different model so as to get the lower price. Is there any truth to this?

A lot of retailers (Best Buy included I think) do have exclusive models that they can sell for cheaper... typically because they skimp on features, have cheaper quality parts, etc.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

veedubfreak posted:

It's probably a modified (less ports, maybe lower quality screen) version of the JU6400 or JU6500. Probably the JU6400 though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sputnik posted:

So I'm looking for a hugeass TV to use as a monitor on a gaming PC, so my interests are low input lag and decent viewing angles. I was originally thinking the Vizio M43-C1 (currently ~$570USD shipped), but I found the Vizio M49-C1 on eBay for ~$500 USD shipped. Despite being larger than I want (and probably need), that price point is tempting. Two questions:

One, why is the larger TV cheaper? Is it an older model or junk innards or something? My research hasn't made anything apparent.

Two, any contrary opinions or alternative suggestions? (ie: do Vizios suck for rendering video games or something)?

I would only use it as a monitor if you are literally only planning to play video games on it; a lot of TVs look kind of terrible when doing anything with a lot of text.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a Samsung from 2008 I got lucky with and it looked great with text once I turned sharpness down to 0. I will say is that if you're planning on playing pc games on the couch across the room from the tv instead of the tv on a desk with you seated at it, go bigger. The way UI's are made in games there's some things you can't read easily from a far distance. I have a 60" Vizio in the living room and I could stand to go bigger I feel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

He's right about the first part, but no idea about the latter. They do this so they don't have to price match.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

sellouts posted:

The Vizio M is 1900.

I'm guessing you didn't even try Cleveland Plasma to see his price as I think they're closed -- so if you're not going to check then what's the point? He's the go to guy on AVSforum for people who are looking for the cheapest authorized dealer.

Called Cleveland Plasma, they don't have any value deals on the line, so it looks like I had my hopes artificially inflated by the abundance of grey market scam artists. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet!

As is, I've narrowed it down to the Vizio M70 and the Sony XBR65X850C. The Vizio recommendations initially surprised me, because I'd always had an association of them as a budget brand to avoid, but it sounds like a lot of people really like the M-series. In terms of 'how much I care about quality', I'm pretty much a layman (also, haha, I'm color-blind), is there much noticeable difference in quality between the two to the untrained eye? I'm leaning the Vizio for the bigger size as is, though one Rtings mentions it has blur when gaming; is that something super noticeable?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I wouldn't say they are scam artists. Plenty of people have gotten their tv's.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Ballpark on the going rate I should list my old TV for on craigslist (I know there is always regional variability)? There are no others listed to compare

2007 Vizio VX37L
37" 720p

$200?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

dexter6 posted:

Ballpark on the going rate I should list my old TV for on craigslist (I know there is always regional variability)? There are no others listed to compare

2007 Vizio VX37L
37" 720p

$200?

Free. You can get a newer, larger, higher resolution TV brand new for less than that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I wouldn't say they are scam artists. Plenty of people have gotten their tv's.

From the places he listed on Google "selling" the TV for over 1k less than it should be?

Z. Autobahn posted:

Called Cleveland Plasma, they don't have any value deals on the line, so it looks like I had my hopes artificially inflated by the abundance of grey market scam artists. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet!

As is, I've narrowed it down to the Vizio M70 and the Sony XBR65X850C. ... is there much noticeable difference in quality between the two to the untrained eye? I'm leaning the Vizio for the bigger size as is, though one Rtings mentions it has blur when gaming; is that something super noticeable?

I like motion on Sony sets more but size trumps all if the room calls for it. And the Vizio is ~15% cheaper. They have both at my local Best Buy so if yours is like mine I'd head down there and just give it a look.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Yeah, that's what I was afraid off. drat technological advances.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sellouts posted:

From the places he listed on Google "selling" the TV for over 1k less than it should be?

I like motion on Sony sets more but size trumps all if the room calls for it. And the Vizio is ~15% cheaper. They have both at my local Best Buy so if yours is like mine I'd head down there and just give it a look.

They still arn't scams. Its still worth it to spend $1k less on the tv and buy a $100 accessory to make them happy. As long as your warranty is valid (it isn't technically usually)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've read the OP, so I've had a primer, but other than that I know very little about TVs. I'm looking to spend ~$350 or less, could go up to maybe $500 around Christmas time. I just moved into my first apartment, so I'm not really concerned about it being really good or anything. It'll be used for DVD movies, Netflix, WiiU and older consoles, and I'd like to be able to stream some games (slower paced, nothing twitchy) from my PC if possible. Definitely don't need anything higher than 1080p, and even that's probably more than I need. I'm thinking something around 40"-48" would be ideal for my living room, and it's be preferable if it's wall mountable.

My family has a Costco membership and Amazon Prime, and I get email ads from Newegg, Fry's, and Micro center. Does one place tend to have the best deals? Fry's, notably, is always advertising a bunch of TVs, but several are RCA, Seiki, Sanyo, Upstar, "Trusted Name Brand," etc. - I saw RCA and Seiki mentioned in the OP, but are the others fine?

Since I'd like to be able to stream some from my PC, would I need a smart TV for that? Are LEDs still the worst size/cost ratio, or have they gotten better lately? Is there anything else I need to keep in mind?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LEDs are the standard nowadays.

I made a thread for Black Friday TV deals, Best Buy will have a 50" Sharp for $299:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747670&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post451695983

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Yes, at that budget and this time of year, the best deal will be had braving the cold morning on Black Friday.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Most of this stuff is online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep, all Best Buy's for example can be ordered online, except those that say In-Store Only.