Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Gerund posted:

How does libertarianism abide by their own collectivist view of The State as a large social construct centered around a monopoly of legitimate force, but then proclaim that their own ideal existence to solely contain individuals rather than another collective with a different view on violence and its legitimacy?

Read my post a few posts up and then understand that the only things they care about are absolute freedom and privity of contract and lack of initiatory aggression. I don't fully understand your question though, so maybe expand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Disinterested posted:

Read my post a few posts up and then understand that the only things they care about are absolute freedom and privity of contract and lack of initiatory aggression. I don't fully understand your question though, so maybe expand?

What I approach anarchism from (and the descendant Anarcho-Capitalist thought) is the difference between the obvious existence of violence (e.g. tackling & guns) and the legitimate violence of the state as given to them by society (e.g. society accepting tackling and guns by LEOs and being loathe to interfere because of coercive effects). Those that stray from the norm as set by the State/society aren't just acted against by the State, they also lose the ability to call for assistance from the larger society to defend against the State.

The difference being in the ideal world of libertarians (as distinct from other flavors of Anarchism) is that it requires the same societal acceptance of a base level of legitimate violence to establish peace. Elsewise the resultant discord would create a cascading pattern of reprisals until the societal norm is established, only to be interrupted by another conflict.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gerund posted:

How does libertarianism abide by their own collectivist view of The State as a large social construct centered around a monopoly of legitimate force, but then proclaim that their own ideal existence to solely contain individuals rather than another collective with a different view on violence and its legitimacy?

Loquaciously.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Gerund posted:

What I approach anarchism from (and the descendant Anarcho-Capitalist thought) is the difference between the obvious existence of violence (e.g. tackling & guns) and the legitimate violence of the state as given to them by society (e.g. society accepting tackling and guns by LEOs and being loathe to interfere because of coercive effects). Those that stray from the norm as set by the State/society aren't just acted against by the State, they also lose the ability to call for assistance from the larger society to defend against the State.

The difference being in the ideal world of libertarians (as distinct from other flavors of Anarchism) is that it requires the same societal acceptance of a base level of legitimate violence to establish peace. Elsewise the resultant discord would create a cascading pattern of reprisals until the societal norm is established, only to be interrupted by another conflict.

The short answer is they have no issue with violence as long as it isn't initiatory, and they have no problem with any form of social compact as a matter of rights (if they thought you could freely contract with the state they might be OK with it, though they might dispute its efficiency) that permits violence, so long as that violence is (a) non-initiatory and (b) consented to.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Of course it is important to remember that their version of force doesn't necessarily reflect the usage of the word amongst normal folks. Or their use of initiation for that matter.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Disinterested posted:

The short answer is they have no issue with violence as long as it isn't initiatory, and they have no problem with any form of social compact as a matter of rights (if they thought you could freely contract with the state they might be OK with it, though they might dispute its efficiency) that permits violence, so long as that violence is (a) non-initiatory and (b) consented to.

You're still requiring a societal understanding of "initiatory" violence, consent, and even the judicious use of "non-initiatory force".

I find the whole canard to be an obfuscation of libertarianism's crypto-fascist underpinning, wherein the ideal society must first conduct an full and equitable culling so that the cull's survivors are all unified under a single monoculture.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Gerund posted:

You're still requiring a societal understanding of "initiatory" violence, consent, and even the judicious use of "non-initiatory force".

I find the whole canard to be an obfuscation of libertarianism's crypto-fascist underpinning, wherein the ideal society must first conduct an full and equitable culling so that the cull's survivors are all unified under a single monoculture.

Oh you're right of course that the definition of these things is socially mediated, whether libertarians realise or accept that is another matter. They don't accept your second premise is logically necessary, but it's a personal preference for many libertarians in fact (apart from, say, Nozick, but then again he doesn't use this method/argument).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ron Paul is a huge racist

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Ron Paul is a huge racist?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

QuarkJets posted:

:ohdear: guess I'm gonna end up ethnically cleansing the fremen

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

:ohdear: guess I'm gonna end up ethnically cleansing the fremen
We will never forgive and we will never forget. Bilal kaifa.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ron Paul is a huge racist?

Google Ron Paul is a huge racist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cantorsdust posted:

Google Ron Paul is a huge racist.

Who the hell is Google Ron Paul? I thought there was only one Ron Paul. Did he have more children then we thought? Is this some weird bastard child that is going to claim legitimacy in 20 years and accuse Rand Paul of being an imposter?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Who the hell is Google Ron Paul? I thought there was only one Ron Paul. Did he have more children then we thought? Is this some weird bastard child that is going to claim legitimacy in 20 years and accuse Rand Paul of being an imposter?

He is the Free Market manifested in human form. The Free Market (pbuh) wished that a saviour would come along, and it is a representation of the two purest adherents to it: Google (being the pure logical praexological being that it is) and Ron Paul (being the one pure voice of reason in government).

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
Google "Google Ron Paul"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Who the hell is Google Ron Paul?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I once met Ron Paul, we joked around a bit about the Fed and then he went on a tirade about how black people are really only suitable for picking cotton and stealing white women. He had an idea where he was going to breed "the squinty-eyed hard-working chinaman" with "the brutish negroids" in order to combine the physical strength of black people with the work ethic of the Chinese. This was how he was going to reduce welfare expenditures

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I once met Ron Paul, we joked around a bit about the Fed and then he went on a tirade about how black people are really only suitable for picking cotton and stealing white women. He had an idea where he was going to breed "the squinty-eyed hard-working chinaman" with "the brutish negroids" in order to combine the physical strength of black people with the work ethic of the Chinese. This was how he was going to reduce welfare expenditures

The Uruk-Hai of slave labour.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I would not be surprised if this actually happened

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I would not be surprised if this actually happened

Good news, I, several other people, and one public notary all saw it happen.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

How have you found time to post here during the busy campaign, Dr. Carson?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Who What Now posted:

And that notary's name was Albert Einstein.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nolanar posted:

Well I wasn't gonna be so gauche as to name-drop him

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah come on show some respect, dick

Anyway, the moral of the story is that Ron Paul is a huge unapologetic racist and so are all of the other libertarians

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Nolanar posted:

Normally I'd ask to see the stamp, but as a (former) notary myself, I say this checks out.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
Notaries are evil statist aggression towards totally real and :krad: stories that are not in any way false, please do not agress against me or any other poster by bringing them up. Thanks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Malleum posted:

Notaries are evil statist aggression towards totally real and :krad: stories that are not in any way false, please do not agress against me or any other poster by bringing them up. Thanks.
Sovereign citizens loving love notaries, though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Halloween Jack posted:

Sovereign citizens loving love notaries, though.

Why? Shouldn't they let the free market determine what's been witnessed?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sovereign Citizens are a different kind of crazy then Libertarians.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Sovereign Citizens are a different kind of crazy then Libertarians.

:nono:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

They are in fact cut from the same gold-fringed cloth

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

Why? Shouldn't they let the free market determine what's been witnessed?
Sovereign citizens, freemen-on-the-land, etc. believe they're only truly subject to "common law," and a baroque understanding of what that means. It seems they think notaries are a kind of common-law official, and that having a document notarized is the final step in making it official. Plus, from a practical point of view, browbeating a notary into stamping a nonsense document is helpful to OPCA types who want to abuse legal processes for purposes of harassment, like repeatedly and filing baseless liens.

Sovcits/freemen are libertarians to the extent that they believe the state is not legitimate, everything is a contract, and that they shouldn't be subject to any contracts they didn't explicitly accept. But they wouldn't be happy in Libertopia. Remember, these related movements mostly got started as scams--not on the government or the banks, but on the people who buy into the movement. Granted, with some notable exceptions they tend to appeal to white, rural, paranoid conservatives, but we're still talking about a lot of people who are less ideological than they are desperate enough to try anything to get them out of a bill they can't pay.

An almost universal concept among OPCA movements is that there's a difference between a human being and their "legal person," a legal fiction created by the government, which is just a corporation anyway. The goal of their nonsense filings is to claim all their income, property, and the benefits of citizenship, but dump all their debts and obligations on their "legal person," which they then disavow. They don't just use this tactic to protest taxes and court-ordered debt like fines and child support, but also to try to nullify private debts like mortgages and car loans. Another cornerstone of their beliefs is that the government is really just a corporation, hence all the bizarre behaviour and nonsense filings to avoid what they think are hidden procedural "traps" that constitute consent to a contract. So in a Libertopian future, they'd still be practicing pseudolegal witchcraft, but targeted at their DRO instead of the state judicial system.

What libertarians and OPCA types have in common are an obsession with contracts, a hazy paranoid fear of all government, and apparently, popularity among paleoconservative radicals and the mentally ill.

LibertarianGuy
Feb 28, 2012
Private property is the bedrock of any wealthy country. There's a book called the Mystery of Capital by Hernando De Soto, where he goes into more detail about the subject. You can go to Youtube and type: John Stossel - Property Rights and Prosperity, He is on the show, if you want to hear him. Sound currency and a stable political system is also important...should we care..YES!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LibertarianGuy posted:

Private property is the bedrock of any wealthy country. There's a book called the Mystery of Capital by Hernando De Soto, where he goes into more detail about the subject. You can go to Youtube and type: John Stossel - Property Rights and Prosperity, He is on the show, if you want to hear him. Sound currency and a stable political system is also important...should we care..YES!

John Stossel is a tool and a moron "Libertarian Guy," I could try to teach this to you but instead I'll post this for my own satisfaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0q44ALM7jo

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
The federal government is completely gridlocked, doesn't get much more stable than that.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

LibertarianGuy posted:

0.00 posts per day
...lurk more

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is it actually possible to establish a currency system that protects itself? The Roman emperors had no trouble I can remember when they deemed it necessary to mint debased coins.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it actually possible to establish a currency system that protects itself? The Roman emperors had no trouble I can remember when they deemed it necessary to mint debased coins.

did somebody say BLOCKCHAIN ?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LibertarianGuy posted:

Do any of the countries De Soto mentions as good examples of prosperity manage to enforce property rights without compelling everyone to recognize them and accept official adjudication thereof using a government monopoly of force backed by coercive taxation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LibertarianGuy posted:

john stossel should be beaten up and stuffed in a locker every day, hes a fuckin rear end in a top hat and an idiot

• Locked thread